View Poll Results: As great as both were, which moment was better?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reggie's 25 point 4th Quarter at MSG

27 36.49%
  • Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds at MSG

47 63.51%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 pt 4th Qtr OR 8 pts in 9 seconds?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: 25 pt 4th Qtr OR 8 pts in 9 seconds?

25 points is just insane, Reggie was on fire for 12 minutes, not 10 seconds. 8 in 8.9 doesn't even happen if Rik Smits didn't carry the entire team for about 46 minutes. Reggie kinda sucked most of that game.

Great moment, but that 4th quarter is unbelievable moments that just keep coming and coming and coming. Oh, you thought 16 points was something, well here's a bomb from Newark, suck on that Spike. It's just nuts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    25 points is just insane, Reggie was on fire for 12 minutes, not 10 seconds. 8 in 8.9 doesn't even happen if Rik Smits didn't carry the entire team for about 46 minutes. Reggie kinda sucked most of that game.

Great moment, but that 4th quarter is unbelievable moments that just keep coming and coming and coming. Oh, you thought 16 points was something, well here's a bomb from Newark, suck on that Spike. It's just nuts.
    I see what you did there.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

By the way, let's not forget Reggie almost repeated the 8 in 9 thing vs the Nets late in his last season (IIRC) with James Jones helping out and hitting some late shots/FTs. But Reggie as I recall hit back to back 3s in a matter of seconds that salvaged a game that was over, and a critical game for the playoff chase.

Dang Pump, I didn't even mean to, but that's accidental genius so I'll take the credit. Higher forces working through me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Accidental genius is always the residue of design.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guess it depends on whether u like your moments to last for 9 seconds or 20 to 30 minutes. If you select the 9 seconds, well...then....me thinks some of your gfs and/or wives might not be quite as content as you might like to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think the 25 points in the 4th quarter is more significant for many reasons.

It was game 5 of the ECF. The 8 pts in 9 seconds was game 1 in the second round.

The 25 in the 4th quarter is what first put Reggie onto the national spotlight. I still remember the next day when he and his performance was the talk of the sports world. The first time is always more significant.

That win put the pacers 1 win away from the NBA Finals. The win the following year put the pacers up 1-0 and they were still 7 wins from the NBA Finals.

I have always thought the 25 point 4th was much better than 8 in 9 seconds.

Also for those who think the 8 in 9 was better. I challenge you to go back now almost 20 years later and watch them both and if you can honestly tell me the 8 in 9 seconds was better, I'll send you a dollar
    You're laboring under the false assumption that there is actually a right answer to the question.

Sports Logo

8 in 9, I have a scar on my head to this day from that moment so I have to pick it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    8 in 9, I have a scar on my head to this day from that moment so I have to pick it.
    Context?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by flampoo View Post
    Context?
    I was 11 when it happened, me and my brother had bunk beds. We were sitting on his (bottom) bunk watching the game, Reggie got the steal and hit the 2nd 3 and I hopped up and split my head open on the top bunk. It felt great.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    You're laboring under the false assumption that there is actually a right answer to the question.
    Yes, I think there is

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the 25 points was much more significant, but the 8 in 8.9 was more enjoyable for me. That day, my wife and I were moving my son out of his dorm at Washington University in St. Louis. Nearly all the kids had already left, and it was just my wife, my son and myself, along with about 15 guys from New York / New Jersey, nearly all of them Knicks fans.

My son made a bet with them that we would take them all out to eat if the Pacers lost and vice-versa. The three of us took more crap throughout the game than you could possibly imagine. I've been to MSG three times to see the Pacers, but this was much worse. Jeesh, young testosterone and trash-talking. The middle-aged beer guzzling crowd at MSG was nothing compared to these kids. And with about 30 seconds left, my wife and son surrendered and left to continue loading up the van, assisted by all of his trash-talking buddies.

Then when we won, everyone came running back into the room to see a crazy bald-headed fat guy, that would be me, in hysterics. All I could do is smile and go down the line of kids one by one... "F you, F you, F you, F you... And of course F you, too."

One of the kids looks at my son and said, "Your old man takes this basketball **** kind of seriously, doesn't he?"

That's when I knew that my son got it. He looked back at the kid and told him that in New York they only played basketball. In Indiana, we live for it.

It was a great bonding moment. For my wife, my son and myself. And for my son and his friends. When in New York, we usually meet and treat one of my son's friends, a former room mate, for dinner. And after we exchange hugs and start to leave, he always gets in the final words. "F you very much"

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Then when we won, everyone came running back into the room to see a crazy bald-headed fat guy, that would be me, in hysterics. All I could do is smile and go down the line of kids one by one... "F you, F you, F you, F you... And of course F you, too."
    Ha! Good post. This^ got a literal chuckle out of me. It kinda reminds me of Eddie Murphy as the barber in Coming to America... "F You! F You! And F You! Who next?"

There are world events that everyone remembers where they were. Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds is sort of the sports equivalent of that.

Off topic- I am looking forward to taking my 6 and 4 year old to the game tonight. It will be their first NBA game, and my first one since 2010.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think the 25 points was much more significant, but the 8 in 8.9 was more enjoyable for me. That day, my wife and I were moving my son out of his dorm at Washington University in St. Louis. Nearly all the kids had already left, and it was just my wife, my son and myself, along with about 15 guys from New York / New Jersey, nearly all of them Knicks fans.

My son made a bet with them that we would take them all out to eat if the Pacers lost and vice-versa. The three of us took more crap throughout the game than you could possibly imagine. I've been to MSG three times to see the Pacers, but this was much worse. Jeesh, young testosterone and trash-talking. The middle-aged beer guzzling crowd at MSG was nothing compared to these kids. And with about 30 seconds left, my wife and son surrendered and left to continue loading up the van, assisted by all of his trash-talking buddies.

One of the kids looks at my son and said, "Your old man takes this basketball **** kind of seriously, doesn't he?"

That's when I knew that my son got it. He looked back at the kid and told him that in New York they only played basketball. In Indiana, we live for it.

It was a great bonding moment. For my wife, my son and myself. And for my son and his friends. When in New York, we usually meet and treat one of my son's friends, a former room mate, for dinner. And after we exchange hugs and start to leave, he always gets in the final words. "F you very much"
    God damn that is a fantastic story.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really surprised at this poll, tbo. I witnessed both live... the 25 point fourth quarter, at the time, had way more weight to it. It was an amazing feeling. The 8pt8sec was more of a "what? that just happened" because it happened so fast... and it really wasn't as hard to pull off as what Reggie did in his 25 point quarter. Like I said before there was a bit of luck involved on the 8pts9secs, Reggie was just at the right place and right time. What's the chance that a team turns it over directly after a 3? To the same guy? And then fouls him on the next play? There were 9 other guys on the court, Reggie just happened to be in the right place right time each time, but his individual performance just wasn't near as high as what he achieved in that 25-point quarter. He literally was in the zone, for an entire quarter, he was basically "in range" as soon as he crossed halfcourt. He absolutely could not miss, and he brought us back from an big hole. The Garden was PISSED. It was honestly Reggie vs. New York City in that game, for an entire quarter. It's easily the 25-pt quarter, for me. It was much more difficult to pull off and more impressive. I could feel the testosterone that Reggie was giving off through the TV, he straight up manned out everyone in the building that night.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

8 in 9 for me.

I would like to introduce, Exhibit A:

GO TO 8:12

Last edited by TMJ31; 02-08-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

I remember the 25pts more vividly, as I actually watched it. The 8pts in 9 seconds is something that will always haunt me. As I had just turned 9, and gave up. I made the 1/2mi trek to a friends house to start playing basketball, when he came out of his basement making noise but I couldn't understand what he was saying. I remember going in and watching the replay over and over again, stunned.

I never gave up early on Reggie for the rest of his career. Only to relearn that very same lesson with Peyton 14years later, on that infamous 4th and 2 call by Belichick. Maybe the pattern is me leaving and my teams pulling out the impossible, as opposed to me just being dumb.

Damn, many of you are too young, makes me feel old

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

The 25 point 4th was a better performance but the 8 points in 9 seconds is iconic. No comparison to me.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flampoo View Post
    Context?

I love your avatar of ash Larry
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

8pts in 9sec is the greatest moment in playoff history. Reggie shocked the NBA world.

25pts in 4th quarter was a great performance, but not a moment in the context of a game.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'll say this. The 8 points in 9 seconds never happens if Reggie disappears in the fourth quarter of Game #5 of the ECFs.

He was still not considered a clutch player at that point in his career. He'd hit a few clutch shots if plays designed for Rifleman or Schrempf broke down. He went- during those two seasons- from "Mr. First Quarter" to a HoF-caliber clutch player.

The 8-in-9 was a jawdropping moment.

The 25 point 4Q truly changed the trajectory of a franchise. (Along with Byron Scott's shot in Game #1 of the Orlando series that year, which I would still rank higher in terms of significance than the 8-in-9 display.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I'll say this. The 8 points in 9 seconds never happens if Reggie disappears in the fourth quarter of Game #5 of the ECFs.
    Why do you feel the two are related?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Why do you feel the two are related?
    Because Reggie never becomes Mr. Clutch without that game in '94.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The 8p9s was the definition of clutch, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I remember sliding across the carpet on my knees after the second 3.

The 25 points should be the most important, but the 8p9s had the most impact on me personally.
    Agreed. 8 points in 9 seconds leaves another 711 seconds to make the next 17 points to match it. No problem.

Seriously though, the 8 in 9 ranks up there with Kirk Gibson's home run in my book.

...still looking for that 25 points in a quarter web site.