Thread: What does it normally take to move up in the draft?

Default What does it normally take to move up in the draft?

I'm not aware of what it would take to move up in the draft this year. Based on the past or your knowledge, what would it take to say move up from our spot to get to number 7? Would trading Roy Hibbert get us there? Or a different asset?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What does it normally take to move up in the draft?

Why on Earth would we want to move into the top 10?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I agree... I don't see why we'd trade our starting center this season, when we're contenders. Maybe if the Pacers were in an injury-plagued struggle of a season, and weren't even in playoff contention, I could see trading away your most expensive player. But this trade deadline I'd guess we'll be buyers, possibly looking for one last piece of the puzzle. Not blowing it up for a crapshoot of a pick in a pretty weak draft.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not aware of what it would take to move up in the draft this year. Based on the past or your knowledge, what would it take to say move up from our spot to get to number 7? Would trading Roy Hibbert get us there? Or a different asset?
    To actually answer your question, guys who've been rumored in deals to get into the lottery in the past:

Brandon Jennings - MIL
    Andre Igoudala - PHI (At the time)
    Andrea Bargniani - TOR
    Paul Millsap/Al Jefferson - UTA

Those guys have been rumored in deals for lottery picks the past couple of seasons. Typically you have to give up a pretty solid starter to get into the top 5-8, depending on the year.

The Pacers could probably get into the lottery by trading a package featuring EITHER Roy, Paul, Danny. David would be a remote possibility, but his age would probably be a factor.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It depends on what stage the other team is in. For example if the Bobcats have the 7th pick in the draft there is no chance we could get that pick. They would have no interest in Granger it would take George and that is a easy no for us. However for example OKC will have a top 10 pick this year from the Raptors they would be more likely to trade it IMO because they are legit contenders. If they could get a few solid veterans on good deals they would be more likely to trade down IMO. The GSW is a good example from last year they were shopping that pick because they wanted instant help they felt they were going to be good this year with help from those picks. They stated that was the reason they passed on Drummond because he was not NBA ready. I disagreed with that statement dude was NBA ready defensively in college. Just super raw on offense and he still is super raw on that end. I loved Harrison Barnes and felt he was a great value pick at #7 however a little narrow sided on Drummond IMO. If we would of offered Granger and took on Jefferson +#7 and another asset probably would of got the deal done. IMO it realy depends on the team and the state of the team you are dealing with. Each team is looking for different things and value players a bit different so really this question canít be answered. It entirely teams on the 2 teams and how they view themselves and the other teams players. I mean for example one year the Wizards were in win now mode and gave up the 5th pick for Mike Miller and Randy Foye. It sounded crazy even then but the Wizards wanted a couple veterans to make a playoff team on paper better. Terrible trade and if you told me that is all it would take to get the #5 pick in a strong draft I would of said you were nuts. It all depends on the particular situation IMO.