View Poll Results: As great as both were, which moment was better?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reggie's 25 point 4th Quarter at MSG

27 36.49%
  • Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds at MSG

47 63.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 pt 4th Qtr OR 8 pts in 9 seconds?

Sports Logo

Default 25 pt 4th Qtr OR 8 pts in 9 seconds?

My vote is for A.
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 02-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Sports Logo

Default Re: 25 pt 4th Qtr OR 8 pts in 9 seconds?

B for me.....cuz that's when I became a Pacer fan.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was too young to really remember them. If I saw both of them live, hell, it's still hard (TWSS) to choose one, but the shift in emotions would probably do it for me, because with 8pts 9secs you probably didn't think we were going to win and were starting to prepare for the misery of a playoff loss, but then that all goes away and we sneak out a win.

Kind of like the close Colts games during the Peyton era and hell, the Luck era. The Green Bay game was probably one of the more satisfying wins I've been able to watch live and see in person. The Colts comeback against the Pats the 4th and 2 was like that, too. Sorry to derail this to Colts, but I love both teams dearly. I was just able to see those games live and in person.

I'd have to go with 8pts 9secs. If something like that happened in the playoffs this spring, I might have a heart attack.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    because with 8pts 9secs you probably didn't think we were going to win and were starting to prepare for the misery of a playoff loss, but then that all goes away and we sneak out a win.
    Yep. The fact that only minutes before Bill Walton was talking about how "horrible" we were made it that much sweeter.

When Miller hit that second 3 I can remember my dad, who rarely gets off the couch, literally jump up and hurl himself halfway across the room. He shouted at the television like a madman. Our cat, thinking he was angry, raced out of the room. If you didn't know any better you would have thought my dad was trying to cast out demons from the television.

To this day various family members ask me to re-enact it.

I loved the 25 point 4th quarter a little more, though. The entire nation knew who Reggie Miller was after that.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Imagine if that 8.9 happened at the end of his 25 pt quarter.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    Yep. The fact that only minutes before Bill Walton was talking about how "horrible" we were made it that much sweeter.

When Miller hit that second 3 I can remember my dad, who rarely gets off the couch, literally jump up and hurl himself halfway across the room. He shouted at the television like a madman. Our cat, thinking he was angry, raced out of the room. If you didn't know any better you would have thought my dad was trying to cast out demons from the television.

To this day various family members ask me to re-enact it.

I loved the 25 point 4th quarter a little more, though. The entire nation knew who Reggie Miller was after that.
    When something big happens for one of my teams, I'll yell and such, but I seriously just go crazy, I start hitting stuff just to make noise.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

8p9s is just the most memorable for me. It was the game that really rattled the Knicks in that series. And it elevated Reggie's reputation of clutch-ness to a whole new level. Imagine the faces of the crowd that were already celebrating just before everything happened then all of a sudden after 9 game seconds their hearts were crushed in a stunning defeat. Or the ones who left early thinking they won already 1-0 then after reading the early newspaper the next day they were shocked they were down 0-1. The most magical moment in NBA for me.

The 8p9s was epic, no doubt about it. When he hit that, I ran out in the street screaming... and there were other people out in the street screaming.

But the 25 point quarter was awesome in a different way. The build of emotions over that 20 minutes was incredible. It just kept getting better, and better, and better. At first, it was just "Yeah Reg show 'em we won't go down without a fight" and to build all the way to the win was great.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The 25 fourth quarter was more epic simply because he sustained it for much longer and the drama was much higher. In both games the team was pretty much dead in the water so they were both surprise endings. With the 8 points in 9 seconds we were outplayed for most the game then just he basically stole it. it happened so fast it was kinda hard to take in but it was still awesome. There was quite a bit of luck involved for the 8.9 seconds. I always felt Reggie could've easily been called for a push in the back on the turnover.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

8 points in 9 seconds is the most amazing, but the trash talking during the 25 point 4th was glorious! He was saying everything I wished I could've said to the punk a$$ Knicks and their fans! Loved it!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

I think the 25 points in the 4th quarter is more significant for many reasons.

It was game 5 of the ECF. The 8 pts in 9 seconds was game 1 in the second round.

The 25 in the 4th quarter is what first put Reggie onto the national spotlight. I still remember the next day when he and his performance was the talk of the sports world. The first time is always more significant.

That win put the pacers 1 win away from the NBA Finals. The win the following year put the pacers up 1-0 and they were still 7 wins from the NBA Finals.

I have always thought the 25 point 4th was much better than 8 in 9 seconds.

Also for those who think the 8 in 9 was better. I challenge you to go back now almost 20 years later and watch them both and if you can honestly tell me the 8 in 9 seconds was better, I'll send you a dollar
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Unclebuck just said pretty much everything I was going to say. If you're old enough to remember how bad the Pacers had been for so many years prior to the '94 playoffs, and just how exciting that first playoff run was, just about everything that happened during the '94 playoffs is going to be more memorable and special. Well, up until Game 6 of the ECF. Eight points in nine seconds was a great moment, but those two three-pointers can't compare to the seemingly never-ending barrage of shots Reggie just kept making in that Game 5 fourth quarter.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

For me its the 25 point 4 quarter. I'll prob get crap for this but I still like his "push-off" three against Jordan to beat the Bulls over 8 points 9 seconds. That shot against Chicago tied the series 2-2 and assured that it would return to Indiana. If he misses that its 3-1 going to Chicago.

Like Buck said 8 points 9 sec was Game 1 and even though amazing, just didn't carry the weight of the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think the 25 points in the 4th quarter is significant for many reasons.

It was game 5 of the ECF. The 8 pts in 9 seconds was game 1 in the second round.

The 25 in the 4th quarter is what first put Reggie onto the national spotlight. I still remember the next day when he and his performance was the talk of the sports world. The first time is always more significant.

That win put the pacers 1 win away from the NBA Finals. The win the following year put the pacers up 1-0 and they were still 7 wins from the NBA Finals.

I have always thought the 25 point 4th was much better than 8 in 9 seconds.

Also for those who think the 8 in 9 was better. I challenge you to go back now almost 20 years later and watch them both and if you can honestly tell me the 8 in 9 seconds was better, I'll send you a dollar
    For me it was also when I knew that Reggie & that team had what it took to be relevant for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    For me its the 25 point 4 quarter. I'll prob get crap for this but I still like his "push-off" three against Jordan to beat the Bulls over 8 points 9 seconds. That shot against Chicago tied the series 2-2 and assured that it would return to Indiana. If he misses that its 3-1 going to Chicago.

Like Buck said 8 points 9 sec was Game 1 and even though amazing, just didn't carry the weight of the other 2.
    For me as well. Games 3 & 4 with Reg hobbling around on that bad ankle and hitting late daggers in both games was huge.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love the trash talking, and Reggie going off, but my vote went for 8 points in 9 seconds. Why? Because it was a sucker punch to the groin of Knicks fans. The 25 point fourth quarter was awesome, but it doesn't have the same kick to the crotch feel, he just went off. Scoring a three, stealing the inbound and scoring another 3 to bring a team back and win is something nobody will ever do again in my lifetime (even though I've only seen the games replayed, since I wasn't born yet). High scoring 4th quarters in the clutch will happen again, but never 8 points in 9 seconds.
    Last edited by Steagles; 02-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    I love the trash talking, and Reggie going off, but my vote went for 8 points in 9 seconds. Why? Because it was a sucker punch to the groin of Knicks fans. The 25 point fourth quarter was awesome, but it doesn't have the same kick to the crotch feel, he just went off. Scoring a three, stealing the inbound and scoring another 3 to bring a team back and win is something nobody will ever do again in my lifetime (even though I've only seen the games replayed, since I wasn't born yet). High scoring 4th quarters in the clutch will happen again, but never 8 points in 9 seconds.
    Probably the closest thing since was McGrady's 13 points in 33 seconds to beat the Spurs, hitting 4 straight 3's and getting fouled on one.....but that was during the regular season, so it still pales in comparison to Reggie's.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The 8p9s was the definition of clutch, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I remember sliding across the carpet on my knees after the second 3.

The 25 points should be the most important, but the 8p9s had the most impact on me personally.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The 8p9s is a little more vivid for me, it's that moment if you are a part of my generation where you went out in your diveway right after the game and just took shots for hours and hours. REGGIE FOR 3! BOOM BABY!

The 25 points in a quarter, the 4th no less, is much more impressive from a skill stand point though.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Eight Points, Nine Seconds.

Obviously.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Eight Points, Nine Seconds.

Obviously.

What, no link?
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

I claim a biased question is skewing the results.

Here is the question

As great as both were, which moment was better

The key word was moment. Although actually the moments that were both better: in order the Smits happens shot and the Reggie push off three against the Bulls.

I would put the Smits happens shot as a better moment because that was at the hbuzzer, Reggie's shot allowed Jordan to have one more shot

It's hard to look at an isolated playoff performance without also considering the end result. They're both amazing showings, but I have to give the nod to 8pts 9 secs because the Pacers ended up winning that series.

25 points in 4th quarter? We lost the series so what difference does it make.
    Easily 8pts 9seconds gets my vote.
    And yes, i saw them both live(or at least vcr live without knowing the results)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I agree. At the time that was easily the greatest win in Pacers NBA history. There was no close second. The Pacers were on a Cinderella run. We had finally won a playoff series, and then we upset the #1 seeded Hawks in the semis (I believe). Everyone was just happy to get to the ECF. I don't think anyone exactly expected to beat the Knicks, especially after we fell down in that series 0-2. But the 25 pt 4th quarter put us up 3 games to 2, and it was like: "My god! Maybe we CAN do this". It instantly promoted Reggie from star to beloved hero and national celebrity.

We didn't do it, of course, but we did eventually knocked the Knicks out of the playoffs... twice.

I watched the replay of the 25 pt 4th quarter not too long ago, and thing I had forgotten was how AWFUL the Knicks were offensively during that 4th quarter. It almost looked like they were being paid to lose. Terrible shots, passes, dribbling... everything. I think LaSalle Thompson had 3 or 4 steals in that quarter. I've never seen everything go SO right for one team, and everything go so wrong for the other. The Knicks were shell-shocked. Both the players and their fans.

I'm taking nothing away from the 8pts in 9 seconds, either. That was a great moment too, no doubt. And I don't think the results are especially skewed. I was expecting these results. To this day I hear more people bring that up than the 25 point 4th quarter.