Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Wells: They're having a great season, so where are the fans?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells: They're having a great season, so where are the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to know why it seems to be only the people of Indiana?

Fans of other teams get to the games and fill up seats. Many are no where near as good as we are.
    In reality they don't. There is no way in hell the Bobcats average more seats filled then the Pacers do. In reality we are probably about 20th in true attendance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I love going to the games. I can't miss one. I miss BLF so much in the off season.
    When I move back home in a few months (well, I'm from Fort Wayne but I am not going back there, haha), I plan to get Fever season tickets and maybe half season tickets for the Pacers (would love to be able to get full season tickets but I think they will be beyond my reach for the first year or two at least). I do love being in BLF and I am going to be in it a lot in the coming years!
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    If it is just me, or just the two of us, the live experience does not beat the TV experience to me.
    This is something I just will never be able to understand. I could be watching the game on a 90" home theater and to me theres just no comparison to being there...just none...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    In reality they don't. There is no way in hell the Bobcats average more seats filled then the Pacers do. In reality we are probably about 20th in true attendance.
    I know the Bobcats don't actually get 15,000 actual people to their games.

I went to the game in January and it was without a doubt half full. Yet, they announced like 13,000 people were there.

What I'm saying is, however you want to put it, the Pacers attendance is 26th in the league. Other teams are selling more tickets than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I know the Bobcats don't actually get 15,000 actual people to their games.

I went to the game in January and it was without a doubt half full. Yet, they announced like 13,000 people were there.
    See you answered your own question. Some teams are much more realistic about attendance than others, like the Pacers. Others really just come up with extremely unrealistic numbers. I wish teams were required to have the exact same process of recording attendance.

If anyone wants to give me a job back in Indy, I will gladly come purchase season tickets.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

See you answered your own question. Some teams are much more realistic about attendance than others, like the Pacers. Others really just come up with extremely unrealistic numbers. I wish teams were required to have the exact same process of recording attendance.
    I'm pretty sure every team in all sports/leagues announces the attendance as the amount of tickets bought/distributed.

Remember Frank Vogel's first head coaching game against the Raptors during a snowstorm? There were only 100s of people actually there, but they announced it in the 10,000s or something.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Add five white guys to this team and let the record drop ten games per year and you will have more fan support than you do now.....

Ah, the glory days of 07-08 where we had Dunleavy, Murphy, Travis Diener, Jeff Foster, and a crappy team. We lost a lot of games that year, but boy did we have great attendance because of starting two highly paid white guys in Murphy and Dunleavy. Oh wait, actually our attendance was complete crap that season. In fact, it was a putrid 12,221 per game, which was our lowest attendance of the past 13 years. Looks like trading Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington for two white guys did nothing to help attendance. In fact, it DROPPED after that. That's yet another claim of yours that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2008

Also, the city of Indianapolis is 25% African American. There are literally hundreds of thousands of African Americans in this community. Believe it or not, Indy isn't 100% made up of racist hayseed hicks.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-08-2013 at 07:29 AM.

13. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

As the team has improved so has attendance. For example since the new year we have averaged 15,634. I threw out the Detroit game though in that average. IU and Purdue were playing, I am sorry but thats not fair.

And only the Wizards and Hawks had a lower number than our average. Its trending up for sure.

I love Pacers games and I wish I could make it to more of them. I wish everyone else in the city felt the same way so this topic would go away.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Ah, the glory days of 07-08 where we had Dunleavy, Murphy, Travis Diener, Jeff Foster, and a crappy team. We lost a lot of games that year, but boy did we have great attendance because of starting two highly paid white guys in Murphy and Dunleavy. Oh wait, actually our attendance was complete crap that season. In fact, it was a putrid 12,221 per game, which was our lowest attendance of the past 13 years. Looks like trading Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington for two white guys did nothing to help attendance. In fact, it DROPPED after that. That's yet another claim of yours that has no basic in fact whatsoever.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2008

Also, the city of Indianapolis is 25% African American. There are literally hundreds of thousands of African Americans in this community. Believe it or not, Indy isn't 100% made up of racist hayseed hicks.
    I have not attended a game in a long time because of my travels but the last time I did attend, there were very few African Americans attending the game. Have they ever attended the games? I really don't think they have ever been much of a factor for attendence...... ... No, Indy is not made up of 100% racist hayseed hicks but it is made up of racists to a higher degree than some other cities. Indy is only about 40 miles from that last bastion of the KKK, Martinsville, IN...... ...

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This is something I just will never be able to understand. I could be watching the game on a 90" home theater and to me theres just no comparison to being there...just none...
    I spent the Heat game with a heat moron screaming YEAH every single time anything went there way, even when the Pacers had already won it. To my left was a fat guy who spent the game apparently doing calf stretches and who smelled. I think watching it on tv would have been preferable if not for the chance to gloat to 2 of my friends who are heat Bandwagoners.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    LOL you can get club tickets for like 40 bucks some nights. I'm sorry but that is not a white collar price for a great seat with in seat food service at a sporting event these days. Dude from Crawfordsville is out to lunch.
    Not sure what you are saying, is the price cheap or expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Not sure what you are saying, is the price cheap or expensive?
    Spending 40 dollars on a great ticket is not expensive in my opinion. But to others, maybe that is out of their price range. Just depends on the person.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

He didn't say just because they were white meant there would be great attendance regardless. A lot of the reasons people give for not supporting the team are racially charged, regardless of whether they realize that are not.
    No his point was clear: Lose 10 more games but add some white guys and watch the attendance soar. I easily debunked the silly claim with the 07-08 season where we had Murph and Dun for a full year, yet actually lost attendance. In fact, it was the worst season of any of the past 13 years.

We had excellent attendance in the 1990's with a primarily African American team. Reggie, Jalen, Dale, Antonio, McKey, Jackson....all African Americans. Smits and Mullin were the only prominent white players.

We all know the real reason for the bad attendance. The Pacers were a pathetically run franchise for several years. The brawl, off-court incidents, and unlikable players took a massive toll. We got rid of the bad seeds, but followed those seasons up with more losing by teams with boring players and awful Jim O'Brien coaching. All of that takes a toll on a fan base and it's not something that is fixed by the snap of a finger. But it's improving.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-07-2013 at 05:19 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I have not attended a game in a long time because of my travels but the last time I did attend, there were very few African Americans attending the game. Have they ever attended the games? I really don't think they have ever been much of a factor for attendence...... ... No, Indy is not made up of 100% racist hayseed hicks but it is made up of racists to a higher degree than some other cities. Indy is only about 40 miles from that last bastion of the KKK, Martinsville, IN...... ...
    I disagree with this. I think there is a good mix in terms of ethnicities at the games.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

No his point was clear: Lose 10 games but add some white guys and watch the attendance soar. I easily debunked the silly claim with the 07-08 season where we had Murph and Dun for a full year, yet actually lost attendance. In fact, it was the worst season of any of the past 13 years.

We had excellent attendance in the 1990's with a primarily African American team. Reggie, Jalen, Dale, Antonio, McKey, Jackson....all African Americans. Smits and Mullin were the only prominent white players.

We all know the real reason for the bad attendance. The Pacers were a pathetically run franchise for several years. The brawl, off-court incidents, and unlikable players took a massive toll. We got rid of the bad seeds, but followed those seasons up with more losing by teams with boring players and awful Jim O'Brien coaching. All of that takes a toll on a fan base and it's not something that is fixed by the snap of a finger. But it's improving.
    Ok, well I disagree with him if that is what he intended.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Ok, well I disagree with him if that is what he intended.
    It's OlBlu--of course that is what he intended.

I was just there on Friday against the Heat and there were quite a few African Americans in the stands. Maybe you should bring that motorhome to Indy sometime and go to a game.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

To me staying at home is better, I have my remote control in hand, my food, my computer so I can talk s*** on PD I can also go flip channels and watch other games while Quinn is talking , ain't nobody got time to go to a game.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    To me staying at home is better, I have my remote control in hand, my food, my computer so I can talk s*** on PD I can also go flip channels and watch other games while Quinn is talking , ain't nobody got time to go to a game.
    Honestly--this is a very real part of the issue. Bill Simmons has been talking about this for years now, and he's right to a certain extent. It certainly is a factor.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Oh and they also need to have better looking Pacemates, every time I see the Miami, GS and Dallas cheerleaders I feel like I want to be there

Well, they're not real contenders, so what's the point? Besides, college ball is a much better product.

billbradley

We had 16,000 when the Rockets came to town. I've always liked Sun Yue...

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Wells: They're having a great season, so where are the fans?

I was just there on Friday against the Heat and there were quite a few African Americans in the stands. Maybe you should bring that motorhome to Indy sometime and go to a game.
    I am usually in Indiana in May through September...... Sometimes I am only passing through. I used to attend quite a few games. I am also alone and I don't find it much fun to do that kind of thing alone. Just me, I guess..... ...