Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wells: They're having a great season, so where are the fans?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells: They're having a great season, so where are the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's calculated by the number of tickets purchased.
    It's calculated by the number of tickets distributed, not sold.

I dont understand why people take the percentage into consideration. If every city had a stadium that was proportionate to the population size. Yes, that would make sense. But you really can't rank attendance based on percentage filled in my opinion. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing in any way that the attendance is bad.

I would point out that, in terms of "percentage of stadium filled" the Pacers sit at 22nd. Still awful, yes. However, that takes into consideration what the actual target is (Not 20,000, rather, 100% of the seats filled.)
    Honestly, I think the % is the number you should go by. Look at Detroit, by the average crowd, we only draw 500 more fans or so, but we fill a hell of a lot more of our stadium, and it also shows just how empty Detroit really is.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    It's calculated by the number of tickets distributed, not sold.
    That's what I meant...

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

My thought is that the attendance will increase quickly once it does. I like to go to games, but not unless a couple of buddies can go. If it is just me, or just the two of us, the live experience does not beat the TV experience to me.

Well, you have to buy the tickets. They aren't donating them, while it seems like they are with how cheap they are.

So, what you said is pretty much what I meant.
    Yes, they are.They are given away in one way or another. Do you really think if attendance is announced at 12,000, all 12,000 of those tickets were sold?

Yes, they are.They are given away in one way or another. Do you really think if attendance is announced at 12,000, all 12,000 of those tickets were sold?
    Am I saying that?

I said it's calculated based on the tickets "distributed". Obviously not everyone who buys a ticket can go.

I'm saying pretty much exactly what you're saying.

Am I saying that?

I said it's calculated based on the tickets "distributed". Obviously not everyone who buys a ticket can go.

I'm saying pretty much exactly what you're saying.

Yea, I think we are pretty much saying the same thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I believe it is a problem caused by the blow-up several years ago when everyone called Pacers player thugs. A considerable number of fans in Indy wrote the Pacers off for good. I have done that myself with the Colts. These fans are never coming back no matter what happens or how much the Pacers win. I know I will get blasted for this but some of it is absolutely racial. I have heard fans in Indy say, "Why would I want to go watch a team of all black guys play basketball." They also say, "The NBA is all black guys with disgusting tattoos who look like human bill boards with their baggy pants that look like the shorts blacks where that come down to their ankles and have to be pinned up." This is not me because I could care less if they black, green or blue if they play well. But I have heard a lot of these kinds of statements in Indy. Football is different and the Irsay monster made sure he got a white QB for what I believe is this very reason. I am sure the mods will cut this post because they don't like to think about these things or have discussions about them. I don't mean it as negative about the Pacers but about Indy fans in general. I am sure everyone will disagree but college basketball is not as popular as it used to be and this is part of the problem there too........ Just my opinion guys. I hope I am wrong but I am sure that I am not. ... Find another Larry Bird (I know he never played for the Pacers) or a Dutchman center. Add five white guys to this team and let the record drop ten games per year and you will have more fan support than you do now.....
    I don't disagree that there are some people for whom this is an issue, but I seriously doubt it is the difference between our current attendance and selling out. If we had LBJ we'd be selling out even though he isn't white - the hype would overcome it.

There IS something to be said about the cultural aspect of the NBA - I think most people with money in central Indiana are not likely to be drawn to games with hip-hop themes. Now, that being said, the Fever do a LOT more hip-hop than the Pacers and yet they still sell to a very white audience. The ticket prices may have something to do with that, along with the idea that they are more like a college team in terms of atmosphere and loyalty. They don't sell NBA numbers but compared to the rest of the WNBA (and compared to the cost of ownership of a WNBA team) they do very well.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    the live experience does not beat the TV experience to me.
    Bingo.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    My thought is that the attendance will increase quickly once it does. I like to go to games, but not unless a couple of buddies can go. If it is just me, or just the two of us, the live experience does not beat the TV experience to me.
    I agree and I think anyone, not even a sports fan would agree, going to games is better than just watching on TV.

I agree and I think anyone, not even a sports fan would agree, going to games is better than just watching on TV.
    I think you are disagreeing with him actually. He is saying he prefers sitting on his couch, then being in attendance at the actual game.

I took it as the exact opposite. Staying at home and watching the game from your comfy couch with your 30cent can of pop(or $1.50 bottle from the gas station)/$1 beer is better than sitting in tiny, hard plastic seats, with your $5 pop/$8 beer.

I go to Pacer games, to be honest, just to give them my money. I like watching games from home 100x better.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I've never understood people complaining about concession prices. You can't go a few hours without eating? Eat before the friggin game.

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I took it as the exact opposite. Staying at home and watching the game from your comfy couch with your 30cent can of pop(or $1.50 bottle from the gas station)/$1 beer is better than sitting in tiny, hard plastic seats, with your $5 pop/$8 beer.

I go to Pacer games, to be honest, just to give them my money. I like watching games from home 100x better.
    Maybe it's just me, since I can't often see the Pacers in person, that I'd try and go to every game.
    Last edited by Trophy; 02-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Mood

I don't expect us to sellout EVERY game, but at least 90% capacity on average is more than acceptable.

I don't expect us to sell out either. But below the likes of the Wizards and the Bobcats?

THE BOBCATS!?!?

That's just embarrassingly pathetic no matter how you slice it. For a team of this quality on and off the court I'd hope to see at least 16K average.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Until they let me control the cameras and the replays, I would disagree with this. I hate being unable to watch specific things on the floor, not knowing what went on if the commentators don't bother talking about it (at a game I can ask people around me to find out who saw it), and the commercials. If I have to see Ken Beckley one more time I'll need to replace my TV

And standing up and screaming my head off at home gets me in trouble. At the Fieldhouse I'm one of at least 3 or 4 people who does it
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I think you are disagreeing with him actually. He is saying he prefers sitting on his couch, then being in attendance at the actual game.
    I do agree with him that it's better to go with other people or sit with people.

I was just making a statement more than anything in my post.

billbradley

I love going to the games. I can't miss one. I miss BLF so much in the off season.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Until they let me control the cameras and the replays, I would disagree with this. I hate being unable to watch specific things on the floor, not knowing what went on if the commentators don't bother talking about it (at a game I can ask people around me to find out who saw it), and the commercials. If I have to see Ken Beckley one more time I'll need to replace my TV

And standing up and screaming my head off at home gets me in trouble. At the Fieldhouse I'm one of at least 3 or 4 people who does it
    Speaking of commercials, when are they going to take down that "bring flavor home for the holidays" ad for Marsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've never understood people complaining about concession prices. You can't go a few hours without eating? Eat before the friggin game.
    For people, like me, who travel 1hr 20mins, it's not all that possible. It's only possible if I want to eat fast food while driving, and that doesn't do much to negate the cost seeing as how a combo from most places is $6-$7 so you're saving one WHOLE DOLLAR!

Mocking people isn't going to solve the problem either. Whether or not you think they're right, their perception is their reality.

I love being able to record the game, waiting 30-40mins, and then fastforwarding through all the dead time. That 15min stall during the Hawks game was horrible, until I remembered I was 10mins behind.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I hardly yell/scream when I'm in the arena. I barely standup to clap. But I'm always making the cat run and hide, and making my GF jump from getting surprised, at home with my yelling.

I want to know why it seems to be only the people of Indiana?

Fans of other teams get to the games and fill up seats. Many are no where near as good as we are.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

That's it exactly for me. There are some games where novel angles are used and some of them are really interesting. TNT webcasts let you have a little bit of control over cameras, which is nice, and League Pass Broadband lets you back up 30 sec at a time and pull the slider along to get to other parts of the game, which is also nice. But it's all pretty much in its infancy compared to the level of control I'd need to have in order for it to compete with the live game experience.

And I think you really don't get the same sense of how fast/tall/skilled these guys are via. TV sometimes feels more like a video game. When you're sitting in the chair in the arena and have that "Wow, this human being did that crazy awesome thing right in front of me," experience there is no substitute for it.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

billbradley

For people, like me, who travel 1hr 20mins, it's not all that possible. It's only possible if I want to eat fast food while driving, and that doesn't do much to negate the cost seeing as how a combo from most places is $6-$7 so you're saving one WHOLE DOLLAR!

Mocking people isn't going to solve the problem either. Whether or not you think they're right, their perception is their reality.
    It's not really mocking, some people just aren't going to prefer to go to games live and that's fine.

But going to a Pacer can be a very cheap outing. $2 meter parking and $2 tickets get you a good view of the court and a bigger screen than anyone has at home.

Another underrated perk of going to the game is how much easier it is to follow the stats of the players in the game.