Thread: Is there a stat site that keeps track of modal averages instead of mean averages?

Mood

Default Is there a stat site that keeps track of modal averages instead of mean averages?

I think it would be interesting to see the modal average for a player's points, rebounds, assists, etc. Modal average is the number most often seen, which means if a player has a modal average then it's the specific number of points, rebounds, or assists, or whatever that he most often produces.

If that didn't make sense, here's a typical example.

Say a player has scored in the last 10 games:

His mean average, which is commonly just referred to as just his average, would be what you get when you add all of those up and divide by those 10 games, and you'd get 16.7 ppg.

Now, the mode or modal average is identifying which number is most common. In this case, that would be 18 because he scored 18 points in four of those ten games (no other number repeated more than once, let alone more than four times), making it the most common amount of points scored. So his mode / modal average for those 10 games is 18 points.

The reason I thought this could be interesting is that especially as you make the sample size bigger, it gives you a sense of what might be the most likely outcome to expect on any given game night because ultimately it's the most common result.

So I was wondering if any NBA stat site kept track of this without making me do the math myself.

Default Re: Is there a stat site that keeps track of modal averages instead of mean averages?

Definitely interesting, plus I think it would be fun to have that information and compare two different types of scorers in Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. Love to compare them when they're both stll at the top of their game in say 08-09...

Thing is, I felt like in general, Dwyane has been the guy likely to throw up say, 28, while Kobe was likely to throw up 35, yet their mean averages have been similar for many years. (This is a guess though, I really don't know how their modal averages would differ)

Either way, having these numbers would certainly at the least be entertaining, even if they don't tell us a whole lot.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Is there a stat site that keeps track of modal averages instead of mean averages?

Given the amount of possible points, I'd make buckets of 3-5 points and then pareto those. I don't know of a site that does it but data dumps from BBall ref are easy and a paste into Excel or just a VBA macro could crank out numbers in a hurry. I'm not much for writing scripts against website data but obviously web coders do it all the time. It's possible that BBall Ref frowns on bot-style data extraction.

Median value also has merit since in a similar way it removed the outlier games that pull an average up or down.

As these are basic stats I'm certain that they are not only captured by teams (or bettors, etc) but that they are just the first step in more complex calculations.

Mood

Where specifically do I have to go to download data from bball ref?

When you want the mode is it really still called an average? Or would modal average be an average of various modes? Just seems odd.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you want the mode is it really still called an average? Or would modal average be an average of various modes? Just seems odd.

There are three kinds of averages: Mean, median, and mode. Almost always you see mean average being used, and thus it casually gets referred to as just "average" (dropping the word "mean"). But all three are different and together they help give you a better idea of an average of some set of data.

When you see someone say "the average" they almost always are actually talking about "the mean average."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I know what a mode. Mean, and median are. Just didn't know mode is refered to as an average. Mode is the most occuring value. Mean is the average of the sample. Median is the value of the centered piece of data.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know of any places that keep this stat, but if you go to any player's game log at Basketball Reference, you can sort the various catogories. You should be able to quickly glance at the sorted stats and find what you're looking for.

For example, Paul George's scoring: Paul George 2012-13 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Lance George; 02-09-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I know what a mode. Mean, and median are. Just didn't know mode is refered to as an average. Mode is the most occuring value. Mean is the average of the sample. Median is the value of the centered piece of data.

As far as I know, all three are equally considered to be a type of average. We just tend to stick with mean average in mainstream society, so mean is now erroneously considered to be 'the one true average' .

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I don't know of any places that keep this stat, but if you go to any player's game log at Basketball Reference, you can sort the various catogories. You should be able to quickly glance at the sorted stats and find what you're looking for.

For example, Paul George's scoring: Paul George 2012-13 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Thanks. I went ahead and put those 50 games worth of results in Excel and came up with:

Mean: 17.76
    Median: 16
    Mode: 15

I think I'll go back and just do the games starting with the @CHI game and see how it looks then (that's pretty much when he broke out).

Mood

Okay, here is his mean, median, and mode the last 33 games (starting with the @CHI game):

Mean: 19.9697
    Median: 20
    Mode: 15

Mood

I found an online calculator that even gives you a box plot, so I did that with his @CHI and beyond numbers.

I'm not sure this image is attaching properly, so I'll include the following:

Population size: 33
    Median: 20
    Minimum: 8
    Maximum: 34
    First quartile: 15
    Third quartile: 25
    Interquartile Range: 10
    Outliers: none

Basically, on a good night he's going to drop about 25 points on fools, on a bad night he'll still give you about 15 points.

*edit* Never usually use these types of websites, so who knows how long before this graphic won't show up again, but oh well:

Attached Images Attached Images