Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we catch Miami for the #1 seed

Default Re: Can we catch Miami for the #1 seed

We are all probably way to high (myself included) after this wonderful stretch by the Pacers.

But it sure is fun to talk and think like this considering in November & early December some of us were wrangling trying to figure out if we could even get home court by being # 4 or really trying to avoid # 8 having to face the Heat in round 1.

Funny what great play and winning will do for you.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

billbradley

I think we can be the #1 seed at some point, but not stay there come playoff time. But that would be pretty exciting in itself to be honest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well some teams would rather play a second round 7 game away than don't play the game at all, if you have to choose between the Bucks and Boston of course you pick Milwaukee even if it means that you are playing a game 7 away in the future.
    Last year that very well could be the case...but not this year...rondo is out..as well as others...Boston isnt really a threat to Pacers, heat, chicago or new york in a 7 game series now...even moreso without home court advantage...the 2nd and conference finals are far more important now...ideally we finish 2....with Miami 1...and New York 3...and chicago 4...i base that on i dont believe we can catch miami...obviously if we could then u want home court against them...absolutely...but if not...then having them and chicago face off in the 2nd round would be ideal...would prefer to not have to run into chicago or miami til the ECF....not that new york will be a walk in the park, because it wont be...we are probaby better built to beat miami right now than new york...but...we would have home court that way..which is what we want...and I actually think we might be able to beat Miami without home court in ECF....if Chicago wins, then at least we have home court...thats pretty much the way i see it working out best...

#1 is a worthwhile goal, and it's achievable. I'll do a Magic Number thread later in the year, but right now it's just too soon to do much comparison. Every team in the league is a tweaked ankle, a losing streak, or a chemistry problem away from moving a slot or two up or down.

We'll have a better idea in a month.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

to the OP.

The short answer is no. As Phree said, Pacers are not really 3 games behind, they are 5 games behind, in the loss column. Those losses cannot be made up. For a team to win 60 games, they can only have 22 losses. Miami is a good enough team to be a 60 win team. For the Pacer to catch Miami, two things have to happen. Pacers have to stop losing and Miami has to stop winning. While it is theoretically possible to catch up, it is very unlikely both those things will happen.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    If Boston can beat us when we have home court advantage then we probably don't need to worry much about this whole "beating Miami" business.
    Thanks... And for the record... They can't... No Rondo... No chance...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    to the OP.

The short answer is no. As Phree said, Pacers are not really 3 games behind, they are 5 games behind, in the loss column. Those losses cannot be made up. For a team to win 60 games, they can only have 22 losses. Miami is a good enough team to be a 60 win team. For the Pacer to catch Miami, two things have to happen. Pacers have to stop losing and Miami has to stop winning. While it is theoretically possible to catch up, it is very unlikely both those things will happen.
    It really isnt that hard if you believe Indiana is every bit the team Miami is, which i do. 5 games can be made up over like what, 38 games or so? Make 1 game up every 5 or so? It's not hard at all to be honest. The way these dudes on Indy have been playing... It can happen. It's not hard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Ill say its possible. But probably just as possible is that another team takes them out in the playofss before we get a chance. leaving us with homecourt advantage over the rest (Assuming we are at least 2nd)
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I remember Shaq talking about this and he said that it matters, I remember him talking about not wanting to face Sacramento(not sure what team) in the 1st or second round because they knew that team had the pieces to take them out so their strategy was to stay away from them.

Shaq even talked about not playing that hard in some games so they could have the matchup they wanted.
    Who cares what Shaq has to say? Dude is an idiot. This is the same guy that said Hibbert hasn't been playing well because he got fat and lazy after his contract.

He also didn't think Paul should be an All-Star.

If we can get HC then you go for it, this year especially with how well we have played at home.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Absolutely we can. Our schedule is home heavy, we will be getting Granger back, still a lot of basketball to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, so lets say it comes down to the last game of the regular season, if the pacers win they get the #1 seed and play the Celts, if they lose they get the number 2 seed and play the Bucks. Are you really suggesting we should lose that game. Even if we stipulate that the Bucks are a better matchup for us.

OK, so we lose that game and oops, we have to play a game 7 in Miami instead of Indianapolis, how stupid is that. And I would say that to Shaq's face.
    Coincidentally (or maybe not) Shaq also got fat and lazy around that same time.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Who cares what Shaq has to say? Dude is an idiot. This is the same guy that said Hibbert hasn't been playing well because he got fat and lazy after his contract.

He also didn't think Paul should be an All-Star.

If we can get HC then you go for it, this year especially with how well we have played at home.
    Vnzla is slightly off here in how he is interpreting Shaq. Shaq was on TNT and did indeed imply that the Lakers may have thrown a game or two to avoid the Utah Jazz (during their peak years) BUT they never did so at the expense of losing homecourt, which is what Vnzla is implying and is wrong. This was when Utah was a #1 seed and the Lakers would hypothetically rather be a 6 seed vs a 5 seed, thus facing Utah in the WCF vs the 2nd round. A 5 vs a 6 seed is irrelevant in regards to homecourt. I think one year Utah was a 2 and the Lakers may have tried to go from a 3 to a 4 (again, no change in homecourt). As UB said, a team would never ever throw away a #1 position and homecourt throughout to avoid a first round oppenent.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Last year that very well could be the case...but not this year...rondo is out..as well as others...Boston isnt really a threat to Pacers, heat, chicago or new york in a 7 game series now...even moreso without home court advantage...the 2nd and conference finals are far more important now...ideally we finish 2....with Miami 1...and New York 3...and chicago 4...i base that on i dont believe we can catch miami...obviously if we could then u want home court against them...absolutely...but if not...then having them and chicago face off in the 2nd round would be ideal...would prefer to not have to run into chicago or miami til the ECF....not that new york will be a walk in the park, because it wont be...we are probaby better built to beat miami right now than new york...but...we would have home court that way..which is what we want...and I actually think we might be able to beat Miami without home court in ECF....if Chicago wins, then at least we have home court...thats pretty much the way i see it working out best...
    Boston hasn't lost a game since Rondo went down. They're 5-0 since his injury.
    Grown Man Ball

We can catch them if we play great, but I also expect Miami to have a better second half. People forget that Wade had knee surgery last summer and was really expected to miss more time than he did. He looks to be regaining his explosiveness.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Im aware of that and i still dont think they stand any chance against The Heat, the Pacers, the Bulls or the Knicks in a 7 game series...

Pacers can, but they need the Heat to hit a skid. They would have to win like 27 of their next 32 if Miami keeps this pace.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Can we catch Miami for the #1 seed

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Let's look at the standings. Currently we are at:

Miami
    New York 1.5 GB
    Indiana 3 GB
    Chicago 4 GB

There are two different, in my opinion better, ways to look at the standings though. The first is to take road wins minus home losses:

Miami
    Indiana 1 GB
    New York 3 GB
    Chicago 6 GB

This looks much better, but we are still behind.

The final way would be to look at strength of schedule for the remaining games. Assuming that all current playoff teams represent a loss, and non-playoff teams represent a win:

Miami
    New York 5 GB
    Indiana 5 GB
    Chicago 6 GB

This is not good.

Looking at these numbers, we have a really good chance at grabbing the #2 seed away from New York and holding Chicago off. But the #1 seed does not appear to be in reach. We would have to play outstanding these last 2 months, and also receive quite a bit of help from Miami.

Thought this might be interesting.
    The answer to the question is simple. "No". integrating Granger back into the lineup will cost a few games but it might make the Pacers better for the playoffs or it might not..... ...

Banned

Tonight's game is showing why I don't want anything to do with Boston those guys can still do damage.

Sports Logo

The Heat tend to coast a lot more in the second part of the season as they gather their strength for the playoffs. They went 20 - 13 and rested their starters at least in 3 of the last 4 games last year.

HCA doesn't matter to them. The #1 seed does not matter. In general, the RS does not matter for them.

So, I don't expect them to fight for the #1 seed. They will try to rest a bit in order to be 100% for the playoffs. I don't expect them to win 60 games.

We can shoot for that #1 seed. It won't be easy but we can at least try.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers, or any top team in particular, catch the Heat at #1. Heat tend to settle for #2 anyway. They are some sort of a sleeping giant that wakes up when playoff comes. They are the same with the Celtics that become dangerous come playoff time, but the current Celtics are a little more desperate as they are at the tail end of the top 8 so they are playing with a sense of urgency right now.

The important thing for me is for the Pacers to keep any of the top 3 spots on a consistent basis. They have lost more than the Knicks and the Heat and the only way to catch them is for them to lose more than what the Pacers have lost so far so the important thing is to keep a good distance with the other chasing teams like Chicago and Brooklyn and win as much as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    They are currently harder for opposing teams to scout with their new identity... I will be REAL surprised if that lasts...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    The Heat tend to coast a lot more in the second part of the season as they gather their strength for the playoffs. They went 20 - 13 and rested their starters at least in 3 of the last 4 games last year.

HCA doesn't matter to them. The #1 seed does not matter. In general, the RS does not matter for them.

So, I don't expect them to fight for the #1 seed. They will try to rest a bit in order to be 100% for the playoffs. I don't expect them to win 60 games.

We can shoot for that #1 seed. It won't be easy but we can at least try.
    I will tell you this. While I dont think we will get close enough to them for it to happen, but if it comes down to the last few games and we are nip and tuck with the Heat for the number 1 seed, I seriously doubt they will be resting their starters. I dont think the Heat want any part of playing the Pacers with the Pacers having home court advantage in the playoffs this season.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Living in the Heat market as I do, I can tell you that we now have Miami's attention. The local pundits laugh at the Knicks, Nets, and Bulls but not at the Pacers, anymore at least.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    We are all probably way to high (myself included) after this wonderful stretch by the Pacers.

But it sure is fun to talk and think like this considering in November & early December some of us were wrangling trying to figure out if we could even get home court by being # 4 or really trying to avoid # 8 having to face the Heat in round 1.

Funny what great play and winning will do for you.
    I think that really shows what a stunner is was for this team to lose Danny on the eve of the season.

It makes sense that there was such a struggle...since then, the pacers have been 28-13, a stunning stretch of games in which they are winning 70%!

I really think they could catch Miami, what this team has done since the first 3 weeks of the season is truly incredible. Dominant basketball.

EDIT: The Pacers are currently on track for 53 wins. Miami is on track for 56. NY is on track for 54.

Therefore, the Pacers need to make up about 3 wins to get the 1 seed, and 1 win for the 2.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; 02-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.

We still play the Heat one more time. Say we beat them, that moves that 5 more losses to 4. Now the Heat have also played 4 less road games, and if we keep their current play on the road of .500 (currently they are 12-11, but they have been playing .500 ball on the road most of the year) that is another 2 games you can knock off those 5 games. So while not reality at the moment, you could easily look at the difference in losses as being 2 not 5. Then again you could look at the last Heat game as a loss, and that goes up to 4.

If you look at the road and home record, and expand those out to 41 games depending on how you round both teams will finish with a 35-6 home record, while the Heat will finish 21-20 and the Pacers 17-24 on the road. Giving the Heat a 56-26 record and the Pacers a 52-30 record. That is only a 4 game difference in the loss column, not 5.

The one thing that does not take into consideration though is the difference in how the Pacers are playing now compared to the beginning of the season, where we lost road games that we shouldn't have (Bobcats, Bucks, and Minnesota). So it is not far fetched that this team could improve their road performance.

If you look at Miami's next 11 games there are at least 6 games that they could easily lose, four of them on the road, (Clippers(H), Thunder(R), Hawks(R), Bulls(R), Memphis(H), and Knicks(R)), with a couple wild cards with Portland and Lakers. Meanwhile we have a home heavy schedule. If things go our way we could easily close the gap a little in the loss column over the next 11 games.

In short I think it will be a lot easier to make up those 5 extra losses than a lot of you are making it to seem, and as the Heat's road games start to even out with it will just start looking easier and easier.

p.s. Remember we own the tie-breaker. If we tie we are the number one seed. So we don't need to have a better record than the Heat.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 02-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

J7F