Thread: This team is a Title Contender

Default This team is a Title Contender

I've watched enough Pacer basketball since 1992. This team this year is a legit title contender. They are destroying the East right now. They protect there home court. They have plenty of time to get the #1 seed and honestly, I dont think anyone is beating Indy if they have home court advantage in the East. There is going to be those people who are conditioned to think that because Wade and Bron are on the Heat, they are the favorites no matter what, but it has become very clear. Indiana is a dominant team. This performance against the Sixers was as dominant as i've seen from any team this year, considering the circumstances. I am so impressed. This team has a serious chance to win a title right now. Come back Danny. Lets do this ****!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This team is a Title Contender

i agree with you, I think we are title contenders, the challenge is getting the #1 seed from Miami, because we are a juggernaut at home, getting Danny back will be a huge boost and hopefully we can get the 1 seed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

There's no way they can win the East if they don't quickly get Danny back playing at a high level. And even then that would be really tough.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no way they can win the East if they don't quickly get Danny back playing at a high level. And even then that would be really tough.
    Why?

We've beaten the Heat TWICE. We've beaten the Bulls TWICE. We've beaten the Knicks and Hawks, not to mention some darn good WC teams.

Need I go on?

"There's no way"

Seriously? Yes it would be very difficult. Just as it was very difficult for the Heat to beat US last year.

But to say there is NO way. Come on now, that's just not true. We've got great opportunity to truly contend this year.

We've won 15 straight home games, we've had some big road wins lately. What MORE does this team need to do to convince us that they are for real?
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I don't see why this is necessary. We play great at home. We only have one more road game this month and its at Detroit.

Frankly we could sweep the month of February the way this team is playing right now. We need granger playing at a high level come March, when we will have swung the other way and have a road heavy schedule for the rest of the season. We need him in the second half of road games, his veteran experience can keep up from faltering in the second half.

This team is Elite I would agree with you TC. Since our 5-7 start we are what 26-12. Thats freaking impressive. Especially since I think we can all agree we are a bad road team. We match up great with the Heat, and if we can snag that #1 seed from the Heat, they should eliminate the Knicks for us.

Paul is getting better by the day, and if Roy can keep being such a force we have a real shot to do something special.

Uh, yeah. It's always tough to win your conference.

I mean, is our position on this team that they can't do things that are tough?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

No 1..... No 2..... No 3.... No 4...... No 5.....

I'm just curbing expectations. I just said the other day I think the Pacers are going to make it out of the East. I'm convinced. But I don't think they're going to win the number 1 seed.

Everyone keeps saying the Heat are struggling as if they're playing bad ball. They aren't. They're playing great ball, and I expect them to win enough to keep the 1 seed. The Pacers have five more losses than the Heat. That's extremely tough to make up.

that is all.

We kill the team when they lose, and go overboard when they win. They're playing great right now, but they'll probably continue to do what they have been doing. Win a few, lose one, when a few lose one or two...

Edit- And I do not think they're better than Miami without Granger. So we're talking about getting Granger back, and THEN hoping they can make up five losses. I hope so. But doubtful.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

I'm a believer. More importantly--the team believes. You can tell they play with a confidence and a swagger, especially in "bigger" games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love it. Bird has built this team into an Eastern Conference powerhouse for the next 5 seasons +. With that said I remain cautiously optimistic. A long ways to go before we are hanging a Banner in the Fieldhouse.

They're playing with confidence, and starting to figure out things that they'll need to do to be successful in the playoffs. Still need to see more from these guys on the road, though.

I wouldn't count them out in any scenario, but I also won't be fully confident until they prove they can consistently execute away from home.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Why?

We've beaten the Heat TWICE. We've beaten the Bulls TWICE. We've beaten the Knicks and Hawks, not to mention some darn good WC teams.

Need I go on?

"There's no way"

Seriously? Yes it would be very difficult. Just as it was very difficult for the Heat to beat US last year.

But to say there is NO way. Come on now, that's just not true. We've got great opportunity to truly contend this year.

We've won 15 straight home games, we've had some big road wins lately. What MORE does this team need to do to convince us that they are for real?
    we beat the heat yes. but the bulls are without Rose, were without Noah and Hinrich last game. Knicks did not have Melo. These teams are so evenly matched its going to be a dawgfight for whoever advances in the EC. The Pacers are no joke.

This team is still improving .. which is a good thing because they will have to in order to advance to the ECF and beyond.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

i'm just gonna say I think they can win it all, but by gosh look how close the East is. I could easily say the Knicks could win it all, Heat could win it all, Chicago could win it all, even Brooklyn could win it all, they certainly have the talent to do it.

Though I have to say that I think Chicago is actually a paper tiger, I do not think Rose will mesh well with the team this year, they have grown to used to playing a certain way, with incredible ball movement. Rose's return is gonna mean alot of ball watching. Infact I wonder if Rose will re-injury that knee the way he plays.

This is gonna be one of the best playoffs we have seen in years. Every round is gonna be incredibly close.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I'm as big an optimist as any, but without a healthy and effective Danny Granger, and a much more improved and consistent Roy Hibbert, I don't like our chances against Miami. Fortunately, Roy is looking better every game, and Granger should be back before the All-Star break.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

The Knicks won't win in the playoffs unless they hire a real coach that embraces the three like JOB. Only 35.2% of their shot attempts are threes! Imagine what they could accomplish with Jimmy!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Why are we talking about the East? It's the West we should be worried about.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Why are we talking about the East? It's the West we should be worried about.
    We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I see the Pacers as a second tier contender. I put Miami, OKC and San Antonio in the top tier and the Pacers in the second group along with New York, the Clippers and a few other teams.

Home court is essential, especially if we're playing the Knicks in the second round. Much rather have four games at home than at MSG.