Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

I'm gonna keep going back and forth on this one. Today, I'm thinking I want to see Danny get back into the swing of things coming off the bench and taking shots away from DJ, OJ and Tyler. where he can reacclimate himself to NBA basketball and it won't cost us production out of our Starting 5.

If Danny comes off the bench he can work on getting his conditioning and "chuck" his shot back into rhythm. Any offensive production would be welcomed out of that group...

Idk. Like I said, I'm on the fence...

I really don't get it why we underestimate Granger so much here.

Look, there's no argument that PG plays a better all-around game than Granger. But nobody can't deny the fact that Danny is still the better offensive player that PG unless proven otherwise.

If there are people worry about West because he plays well with Lance, let me remind you that West played well last year with Granger, in fact the last year's starting 5 was one of the best, if not the best, in the league that season. I have read that somewhere but can't find it now so correct me if I'm wrong here.

And to say our offense will be worse without Lance, let me remind you too that the Pacers team have a better offense last season with Granger as the starter.

And for the defense, was our defense worse with a PG-Granger combo than with a PG-Lance combo? It's sad on Granger's part because he was a better defender last year and yet many here concluded he cannot be the same player after coming back. And as for Lance, yes he has played great defense against Wade, but George did too at some point. How certain is it that Lance can have the same success against Wade come playoff time when you know he has the ability to torch defenders no matter how good they were when his back is against the wall? And have you seen how good Lance's defense was against Marco Belinelli?

There's no problem if Granger plays coming off the bench until he has gotten used to playing NBA-level games. But to say that putting Lance on the bench as the 6th man and bringing back Granger back into the starting lineup will negatively affect what's going on with the team is delusional at this point until proven otherwise. Last season was a proof of how solid this team (5th in the league last season, mind you) was with Danny Granger as one of the starting wings, and until what others say about the negative impact of Danny actually happens, he still owns the starting spot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

PGs success isnt because hes playing "SF," its because he worked his tail off. Whether he plays the 2 or the 3. He'll be fine. Granger should and will start and it has nothing to do with stunting Pauls growth. Our starting 5 last year was near the top of the league in +/- when they were on the court together. Granger and Lance run the same cuts off entry passes, there really isnt a difference between the 2 and 3 in our system.

Defensively, nothing will change. PG will guard the best player and well adjust accordingly. Pretty simple. And as stated before, the only team that has a huge mismatch at 2 guard vs Granger is Miami, and well adjust against them too. We can probably expect PG to be on Rose as well, so lets not act like the defensive responsibilities wont be shifted game by game.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG-24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vogel already confirmed in a post game that Danny will ease back into the lineup, but he will begin on the bench.

Long term Granger will be starting, I have no doubt. Without Granger this team is not a top tier title contender. With Granger, depending on what we get, there's a chance they could be.

As for whether Granger will throw off the chemistry, I don't see it. Danny is a smart guy, he knows a couple deep playoff runs scoring 16 a game is worth way more to his next contract than scoring 20ppg in two second round outs.

Mood

I came into this thread not really knowing which way to think, and after reading seven pages, I have firmly decided that I still don't know.

In general, I think Danny is a better player than Lance. But, I think Danny would fit better in the second unit. When it comes down to the end of the game, Danny will be on the court.

I think the strength of this team, all year, has been the versatility. Having Danny back is only going to make that aspect stronger. With the talent we have, we will be able to match up with anyone in about three different ways. Overall, this is a good problem. We know that either way, our sixth man is going to be very good.

We will just have to see what Vogel works out.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

They don't get it Kstat. I've failed many times trying to explain why it's beneficial for Paul to play SF. All I hear hear is " it doesn't matter what position he plays because in our offensive scheme a wing's a wing." And while that may be true, they don't factor in the dozen or so other reasons Paul benefits from playing his natural position. I'll list a few that get overlooked:

* playing the 3 allows him to conserve energy because he doesn't chase quicker players around, and he doesn't have to fight threw nearly as many screens

* playing the 3 allows him to use his speed and quickness advantage against nearly every player at his position

* playing the 3 allows him to rebound more

* playing the 3 makes him an an above average ball handler and playmaker. At SG he's average

I'll stop there. Funny thing is I called all this a year ago in one of my first posts. I said he'd defend, score, and rebound better at the 3 and got laughed at.It doesn't surprise me that some of those same people are now saying it's just a coincidence he broke out at the 3.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

I bet Granger makes his debut Friday.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Wow. We have arguments here like

- Don't look at the effectiveness of the offense in the past with Danny because we know that Danny will not be as good as any given year in the past based on his past performance.
    - Lance will not only stop developing if he is moved to the top offensive option from the bench, he will regress.
    - The Pacers' starting fives offense has been just fine all season, we don't need another scorer there.
    - Danny is a bad or at best merely average defender.
    - Without Danny, this team was predicted by certain people to be no better than a fifth seed or even as bad as 3rd in the Central. Now, clearly they are playing well so that if Danny comes BACK they will drop to no better than a fifth seed.

I just have to think that when you have a guy who has been AT LEAST one of your two best players for the last 5 years you don't throw him over the fence when you have an offense that still struggles against certain matchups. Particularly when he and his "rival" play such different games and therefore can be made complementary to one another.

If he comes back and the starting lineup suffers, then you adjust. But assuming out of the gate that Danny is going to be a shadow of his former self (which was somehow never that good to begin with) is ridiculous.

I mean, by the same token, people are pretty much assuming DRose will still be an MVP-level player when returning from ACL surgery and would therefore NEVER recommend that a Bulls team that has been pretty successful without him would do anything but plonk him right back into his role. This doesn't somehow mean that I think Danny is as good as DRose, just that you don't assume what a guy's recovery is like until you put him back where he was when he left.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet Granger makes his debut Friday.
    Tomorrow? When we haven't heard anything about him in (correct me if I'm wrong) six days? I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post

* playing the 3 allows him to conserve energy because he doesn't chase quicker players around, and he doesn't have to fight threw nearly as many screens
    He guards the best opposing wing, no matter what, so he is chasing exactly the same player around. Do we have to keep repeating this fact?

* playing the 3 allows him to use his speed and quickness advantage against nearly every player at his position
    playing the 2 allows him to use his huge length advantage, with no speed disadvantage either, against nearly every player at his position, whereas some 3s he has to guard are much heavier and stronger (see LBJ).

His defensive rebounding numbers should be the same per-minute once Danny comes back, since (again) he is guarding and boxing out the opposition's best wing player, same as always.

* playing the 3 makes him an an above average ball handler and playmaker. At SG he's average
    Playing the 2 on offense should greatly help him as a passer and playmaker, with a huge size advantage over the man guarding him.

I'll stop there too.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Wow. We have arguments here like

- Don't look at the effectiveness of the offense in the past with Danny because we know that Danny will not be as good as any given year in the past based on his past performance.
    - Lance will not only stop developing if he is moved to the top offensive option from the bench, he will regress.
    - The Pacers' starting fives offense has been just fine all season, we don't need another scorer there.
    - Danny is a bad or at best merely average defender.
    - Without Danny, this team was predicted by certain people to be no better than a fifth seed or even as bad as 3rd in the Central. Now, clearly they are playing well so that if Danny comes BACK they will drop to no better than a fifth seed.

I just have to think that when you have a guy who has been AT LEAST one of your two best players for the last 5 years you don't throw him over the fence when you have an offense that still struggles against certain matchups. Particularly when he and his "rival" play such different games and therefore can be made complementary to one another.

If he comes back and the starting lineup suffers, then you adjust. But assuming out of the gate that Danny is going to be a shadow of his former self (which was somehow never that good to begin with) is ridiculous.

I mean, by the same token, people are pretty much assuming DRose will still be an MVP-level player when returning from ACL surgery and would therefore NEVER recommend that a Bulls team that has been pretty successful without him would do anything but plonk him right back into his role. This doesn't somehow mean that I think Danny is as good as DRose, just that you don't assume what a guy's recovery is like until you put him back where he was when he left.
    Amen! Not sure I could have said it better. I agree, Granger is not on Rose's level but no one is mentioning have Rose come off of the bench even though the Bulls are only a game out of third place. It makes me shake my head to see how lowly people hold Granger. The guy has been nothing but great to the organization and the fans. He can and only will help this team.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacerfaninga For This Useful Post:

Banned

Nobody is suggesting for Rose to come off the bench because Rose doesn't have somebody playing at his position that is kicking a**, huge difference.

I'm hoping he sees some minutes on Wednesday, but if we don't get a positive update on him in the next few days, I'm going to start looking to the end of the month / beginning of March.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I'm hoping he sees some minutes on Wednesday, but if we don't get a positive update on him in the next few days, I'm going to start looking to the end of the month / beginning of March.
    Grady said today to expect him back Monday or Wednesday pretty much for sure.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Tomorrow? When we haven't heard anything about him in (correct me if I'm wrong) six days? I wouldn't bet on it.
    Remember that we never hear much about what is really going on. Trades, definitive recovery timeframes, etc.

Also, we know that Danny will probably only play about 10-15 minutes in his first game back. It is a perfect opportunity to get him a few minutes and see how his knee reacts with two days rest afterward. The next game is Monday and the last game before the break is Wednesday. If all goes well, we would likely see Danny get a good 20 minutes in the second and third game back, with a little less rest. Then we give his knee a whole week to recover and do tests and see how he works through practice. I really don't think it's too soon. If he doesn't respond well to ten minutes, you just let him continue to rest for those extra 11 days.

Plus, the Fieldhouse will be packed Friday night and it is the best opportunity we will have to give Granger the proper respect he deserves from our fanbase. His loyalty doesn't go unnoticed. Is he the same player he was athletically? No. Is he a better skilled, more efficient player, who is the heart and soul of what this team is? Absolutely. This is secondary to the health of his knee obviously, but the timing potential is too perfect and if I am the coach, I want my cornerstone player to get his due respect. Plus, his return gives a huge boost to our team's confidence and that kind of an ovation can go a long way towards improving the aura of our franchise.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Pacers are probably going to need a little pick-me-up for tomorrow. They're in prime position for a mental/phsyical/emotional let down.

1. He guards the opposing teams best wing no matter what. He's guarded James Harden, Joe Johnson, Andre Iguodala (playing next to Galignari) JR Smith (w/o Melo) etc. This normally leaves Lance to guard a bigger SF which he has struggled with at times. So with Paul guardng the best perimeter player no matter what, you'll basically have Lance trying to guard a bigger SF just as much as you'd have Danny guarding a smaller, quicker opponent.

2. It's not like teams don't run their SF's through screens as well. In fact we have seen it with some of our recent opponents (Kyle Korver, Luol Deng)

playing the 3 allows him to use his speed and quickness advantage against nearly every player at his position
    Someone else already explained, but at the 2 Paul has a tremendous size/length advantage. At the 3 yes Paul has some speed and quickness advantages, but he doesn't exactly get most of his points from utilizing that advantage constantly. A lot of his points come from 3's, transition, and and pull up J's.

playing the 3 allows him to rebound more
    He's averaging 2 rebs more per game this season. But he's also playing nearly 8 more minutes per game. So he's rebounding around the same rate.

Just my opinion.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Grady said today to expect him back Monday or Wednesday pretty much for sure.
    Hmm. Interesting. I'd like to hear a clip of that to read into his delivery/tone to try to gauge his confidence level on that. Hopefully he's right on.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

We may indeed be better off with Danny coming off the bench, but remember when the whole objective of last summer was to keep an incredibly efficient offensive & defensive starting 5 together, while upgrading the bench? Do we give up on that goal that fast? If so, why? Our 2011-2012 starting 5 would now be better if DG is back to his normal self, due to PG's maturity & confidence and West's improved health, which overcomes Roy's struggles IMO. Then Lance alone upgrades the bench, if he plays starter's minutes, never mind the contributions of Mahinmi and OJ. I know a lot of people still envision lance as a point guard. Going back to the bench, he may even get a crack at that, on nights when Augustin isn't hitting his shots.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

They don't get it Kstat. I've failed many times trying to explain why it's beneficial for Paul to play SF. All I hear hear is " it doesn't matter what position he plays because in our offensive scheme a wing's a wing." And while that may be true, they don't factor in the dozen or so other reasons Paul benefits from playing his natural position. I'll list a few that get overlooked:

I'll stop there. Funny thing is I called all this a year ago in one of my first posts. I said he'd defend, score, and rebound better at the 3 and got laughed at.It doesn't surprise me that some of those same people are now saying it's just a coincidence he broke out at the 3.
    Point 1: lance isn't any better at it.
    Points 2/4 are same arguement/concept and its invalid because he's not a primary ballhandler. And at SG, He's got a 2-7 inch height advantage every night.
    Point 3: why does his rebounding make a difference? Roy and David are fine, so is danny. You're knitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Pacers are probably going to need a little pick-me-up for tomorrow. They're in prime position for a mental/phsyical/emotional let down.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Nobody is suggesting for Rose to come off the bench because Rose doesn't have somebody playing at his position that is kicking a**, huge difference.
    This is a little like the Steve Young/Joe Montana situation. Montana got hurt and played at an all pro level. Montana never got back in the lineup....... It would be best to just keep Granger out of PG's way and bring him off the bench. That would also be better for Lance and better for the team. This team can't play much better than it is already without Granger. Bringing him back in will only screw up the chemistry it took half a season to build. It is the wrong time for Granger....... ...

Where's it written that 2-guards use screens and small forwards don't? Also, I'm very intrigued by this "conserve energy" concept. One of the major knocks on Danny was that instead of going all-out on defense and offense, he would sometimes conserve energy on D in order to blaze a trail on O. That's a major critique. And now the worry is that Paul won't be able to do that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    Quickness is good, but height and power is great. Paul is fast enough to guard point guards, so he's definitely fast enough to guard shooting guards. But think about what it means to be able to shoot over every player that guards him.

Why? What about our system would make him rebound less playing next to Danny instead of Lance?

But in either case, his actual ball-handling ability doesn't change. So is it just a matter of comparison, or what? Is it your position that he can take Deng off the dribble, but not Rip Hamilton? That he can take LeBron off the dribble, but not Wade?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Good thread you guys. I don't understand the idea that Danny will have regressed. Other than conditioning, he should be about the same. I mean, he's never really relied on athleticism to compete. On D, he has always been laterally slow, making up for it with wiry strength and great timing. I think we will have to "hide" him on D just as much as we had to before the time off, meaning not much. Also, Danny will play over Lance without question at the end of games due to foul shooting. (Lance needs to pick it up from the line if he wants to consistently finish games in the playoffs.)

I think some of you are playing out the rest of the season and playoffs as if we'll be playing Miami in the last five minutes for the rest of the year. Guarding Bron and Wade will continue to be a ***** (for every team in the league). If we play the Bulls and PG has to cover Rose, we'll be glad to have Danny on Deng. Same with the Deron, Johnson, Wallace combo. Not to mention, if we play the Hawks, Danny's got David's back on Smith. (If you think we would lose to the Knicks because of the JR Smith matchup, holy ****, I'll take those odds.)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned leaving Lance in at the end of games and leaving Hill on the bench. (Not saying it should happen, but I could see the argument for it defensively as much as the Hibbert-less small lineup for offensive purposes.)