Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 294

Thread: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

  1. #201
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,641

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    ...except lance isn't a scorer.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #202

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Lance, on the other hand, can both involve everyone else and change the pace of a game. He's a guy that can create runs in his own. He can both score and facilitate. That's something that Granger cannot do.

    Which is why I think that Lance fits the 6th man role a lot better than Granger.
    I agree. I am very worried about the current chemistry being disrupted when Granger returns, but at the same time his game just doesn't (and probably never will) translate to coming off the bench. I don't know where the minutes are going to come from, but somehow Lance has to get at least 27 mpg, IMO.

  3. #203
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,336

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know where the minutes are going to come from, but somehow Lance has to get at least 27 mpg, IMO.
    They will come at the expense of DJ and Hansbrough.

    PG - GH 30 mpg / DJ 18 mpg
    SG - PG 13 mpg / Lance 28 mpg / GH 2 mpg / Young_Green_OJ 5 mpg
    SF - Granger 29 mpg / PG 19 mpg
    PF - West 33 mpg / Hansbrough 12 mpg / Granger 3 mpg
    C - Hibbert 29 mpg / Mahinmi 19 mpg

    GH - 32 mpg
    PG - 32 mpg
    Granger - 32 mpg
    West - 32 mpg
    Hibbert - 29 mpg

    Lance - 28 mpg
    Mahinmi - 19 mpg
    DJ - 18 mpg
    Hansbrough - 12 mpg
    Young, Green or OJ - 5 mpg

    Young, Green or OJ would only get any minutes based on whether there is a need to give more minutes to GH, PG or Granger.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #204

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...except lance isn't a scorer.
    I'm not sure this is true. He's been a scorer throughout his basketball career. IMO, he has the ability to be a scorer, but that is not his role on the Pacers. Like all good players, he's done what the team needed him to do.

    Now you may be right. He has not been a scorer at the NBA level, but neither has Paul George before this year. I am looking forward to seeing how he does with more scoring responsibility.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  6. #205

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. I am very worried about the current chemistry being disrupted when Granger returns, but at the same time his game just doesn't (and probably never will) translate to coming off the bench. I don't know where the minutes are going to come from, but somehow Lance has to get at least 27 mpg, IMO.
    There are 96 minutes available at the wing positions. With a 3 man rotation, that is 32 min per game for each guy. Unless both Danny and Paul start playing huge minutes, there will be minutes for all of them.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  8. #206
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,497

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Whatever is best for the team.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  10. #207
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...except lance isn't a scorer.
    Well, he is scoring 8.3 PPG in 7.1 FGA (48.1 FG%, 55.1 TS%) this season.

    So, since he will get more FGA due to being the second unit's offensive focus I expect his scoring to increase. I certainly believe that Lance can score.

    The one thing that's troubling me in that case is that the majority of Lance's baskets so far have been assisted. 65% of his baskets were assisted, to be precise. In 3 pointers this mark increases to 90%. (here's the shot chart -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/ )

    But he certainly has the ball handling to get his shot off. And he's a good finisher. I expect him to thrive as the offensive focus of the second unit.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  11. #208
    Member PaulGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are 96 minutes available at the wing positions. With a 3 man rotation, that is 32 min per game for each guy. Unless both Danny and Paul start playing huge minutes, there will be minutes for all of them.
    I hope we can find time for OJ. He knocks down pretty much every open shot from beyond the arc. 12 of 22 in limited time so far. IMO he should pick up what scraps are left.
    I'm a Beast

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:


  13. #209
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger will start. No way around that.

    How would he "derail the train" by coming back and starting? That's his spot.
    DC was starting before he got injured, and was replaced by George Hill. That was supposed to be HIS spot. Where's DC again? Who did we sign for nearly-obscene amounts of money this past offseason?

    Sometimes, you never know what the FO is brainstorming.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  14. #210
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,904

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he is scoring 8.3 PPG in 7.1 FGA (48.1 FG%, 55.1 TS%) this season.

    So, since he will get more FGA due to being the second unit's offensive focus I expect his scoring to increase. I certainly believe that Lance can score.

    The one thing that's troubling me in that case is that the majority of Lance's baskets so far have been assisted. 65% of his baskets were assisted, to be precise. In 3 pointers this mark increases to 90%. (here's the shot chart -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/ )

    But he certainly has the ball handling to get his shot off. And he's a good finisher. I expect him to thrive as the offensive focus of the second unit.
    Danny will hit 40% of his threes if he is 90% assisted.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  16. #211
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,961

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some people are threatened by the Lance and Paul George success
    And then some people are just full of **** to be quite frank...

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    some still believe that Danny is better than Paul George when in reality Danny in his best years was not even as good as PG.
    Paul is definitely better then Danny. Danny is definitely better then Lance at this point though. And to me that is what it boils down and like Kstat mentioned I expect Paul's minutes to go down during the second half of the season, because he's really logging a LOT of minutes now and I wouldn't want him pretty much gassed when the playoffs come around the block.

    It's also not about 5 bench players replacing 5 starters at the sametime (exception: Vogel during last years playoffs, which I expect we won't be seeing this year). No, the units get mixed, so both Lance, Paul and Danny will play with the bench guys.

    Personally I expect Danny to start pretty soon and get limited minutes, which will be build up steadily if all goes well. Finishing games, that could be an entirely different matter and depends even more on how exactly Danny comes back. I wouldn't be surprised or opposed at all to see Lance finish games initially and him finishing games later on, depending on who our opponents are.

    I do hope West keeps his touches and I also hope Hibbert will get a little more space to operate in which might be just what the docter ordered for him. It's a "waite and see"-situation for me at this point.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  18. #212
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I think it makes some sense to have the rotation built in a way that the starting 5 is Hill/George/Granger/West/Hibbert and let Granger spend time as the starting 3 and the backup 4. We could small-ball really effectively
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some people are threatened by the Lance and Paul George success, some still believe that Danny is better than Paul George when in reality Danny in his best years was not even as good as PG.
    Paul George is NOT better than what Danny was when he peaked
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  20. #213
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,904

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    While I think the best lineup will be with Danny starting, I think as long as Danny or PG is on the court at all times, and Danny only plays with Lance or PG on the court, then it won't matter all that much.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  22. #214
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one thing that's troubling me in that case is that the majority of Lance's baskets so far have been assisted. 65% of his baskets were assisted, to be precise. In 3 pointers this mark increases to 90%. (here's the shot chart -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/ )
    To me, that's a sign that he's playing within the offense, and only scoring when he's given the ball with a specific expectation to score.

    I wonder how many of his remaining buckets come in transition.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #215
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, that's a sign that he's playing within the offense, and only scoring when he's given the ball with a specific expectation to score.
    Agreed. And that's great. Lance has been really good for the team so far

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how many of his remaining buckets come in transition.
    Well, 47 of his 83 lay ups are assisted. That leaves 46 lay ups to be addressed. I clearly remember at least 5 lay ups coming off of great dribble drives. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some of them so let's say that 10-15 of his lay ups came off of dribble drives. That would leave 31 - 36 lay ups unaddressed. It's quite possible that at least 30 of his lay ups came in transition.

    The interesting part is the shots from 10 ft to the 3 pt line. He has made 21 shots from that area (granted 21-71 is not exactly great) and only 9 of those are assisted. So, he has shown some ability to take people off the dribble for a mid range J with his crossover even if he's not shooting that pullup for a great percentage.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  24. #216
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    922

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    In my ideal little world in my head, Granger starts by coming off the bench. It works so well, that he continues in this role, with his minutes increasing to between 26-32 minute per game. He becomes a scoring threat and a real pain in the *** for opposing teams to match up with, and creates a new flexibility with the line-up. As he get's his fitness back he frequently closes out games. In my mind it's a Manu Ginobli scenario.
    Danger Zone

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  26. #217
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,421

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...except lance isn't a scorer.
    This really shows how the perceptions of Lance have changed. Initially he was considered someone who could play a very flashy "me" game in order to put the ball in the basket, but couldn't do much of anything else.

    This more than anything is the improvement in him I see, and it has come to the point where Lance is seen as something OTHER than a scorer.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  28. #218
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,200

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I think the best lineup will be with Danny starting, I think as long as Danny or PG is on the court at all times, and Danny only plays with Lance or PG on the court, then it won't matter all that much.
    Boom! That would be the ideal scenario for me and really believe it will work that way. I think both sides are right here and key is how to find the right formula. The above one is a good way to start.

    I, too am, fearful that without Lance the ball flow (and don't tell me that whenever we had it, Lance didn't play a major role with it) will possibly suffer. I can see the other argument though that the offense will get better and defense won't suffer at all.

    Oh well, remains to be seen and hope Frank will be eager to change something if he sees something doesn't work (with Danny's return). Don't want us to say after the season "What if Frank had tried this or that....".
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  29. #219
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DC was starting before he got injured, and was replaced by George Hill. That was supposed to be HIS spot. Where's DC again? Who did we sign for nearly-obscene amounts of money this past offseason?

    I would think Hill actually being better than DC is the reason. Lance isn't better than Danny.

  30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  31. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And then some people are just full of **** to be quite frank...
    You have been added to my ignore list congratulations.

  32. #221
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    OJ can be the new JJ Redick given an opportunity. I think if any time - any time at all - is left, OJ should get it. OJ will be a star one day. If its garbage minutes, screw it, go small. I don't care. Just get that man minutes.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  33. #222
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have been added to my ignore list congratulations.
    Well, he's in good company.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  35. #223
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,200

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he's in good company.
    I wonder if he'll ever be able to keep on living after that tbh.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  37. #224
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Lance goes to bench which gives you a great 2nd team creator. Rotations up till now have extended Paul, West and/or Hill deep into the bench time so it's not like Lance being moved to the bench would mean he's not working with a starter or two. Often after the shuffling begins you do have Lance on the court with a mix of starters and bench.

    Typically you get a nice attack with West/Lance PnR, so you could pull West "early" for Tyler/Ian, Lance comes in a little after that maybe for Hill or Danny so you have a mix with lots of options, and then as the wings are leaving for Sam and maybe DJ a bit, you have West return to make sure Lance continues to have a starter to work with.


    Lately we've had almost no main PT runs of all-bench, and if you count Lance as non-bench even when Danny returns as a starter then you'll NEVER have a point where at least 1 or 2 of those 6 aren't on the court. The team is going to run 8 deep with tiny bits of time for DJ or OJ, and I assume OJ will take minutes away from DJ.

    To me Lance has to be the bench PG/creator. He can defend the PG as well as DJ does (ie, at all) and can be the guy to get the ball up and to initiate plays. If he can feed the post, Paul or Danny can. And Lance runs the best high PnR on the team.


    Danny disrupting things is just nuts. It's such a great addition and it's not like this same group didn't play together last year. The only difference now is that Paul and Lance are better than they were. Oh no.

  38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  39. #225
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he's in good company.
    Let's all be friends there
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Lakers will have healthy Gasol coming off bench [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. Granger from the bench
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
  3. What say you we bring Granger off the bench?
    By Phree Refill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  4. Healthy Granger hopes to cure Pacers' painful season
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
  5. Reasons why Granger should come off the bench
    By Isaac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •