Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 294

Thread: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

  1. #101
    Member DJVendetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Posts
    1,064

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I find the whole argument almost useless. No wait I take that back, it is completely useless. Lets just trust Vogel to make the right call and if he doesn't, lets trust him to fix it. We won't know what Paul and Granger are like together until we see it with them both in top form and until then no one here really knows, so what is the use of getting all worked up? I want Granger to come back, be in form, and fit in real quick (whether its in the bench, or the starting line up) so everyone will stfu about the topic of, bench him, dont bench him, trade him, or don't trade him. That being said, I can't wait for Granger to come back to this team!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's arguable that Danny is a better defensive matchup against Lebron than PG is.

    No it isn't, it isn't even close to being true.....

    Not only that, but Lebron can't beat us by himself. If Wade doesn't play like an MVP with him, the Heat won't win. Wade's got a much smaller chance of playing like an MVP with PG on him than with Lance on him. (not because Lance was bad on him...but because Paul George is Paul George.)
    Uhhh, I think Lebron already beat this team by himself last year...... ...

  4. #103

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't you want a guy that is playing like Lance... wait, ACTUALLY LANCE coming off the bench to help where we really need help?

    If you guys say Danny is this decrepit old piece of dirt then hey, wouldn't he do much better in a unit that is actually producing?

    And if Lance throws a fit because his starting spot was taken away to a player vastly superior to him, then he really didn't deserve the spot in the first place.

    It's sorta a unwritten rule a player doesn't lose his starting job do to an injury. Well, DC after starting 50 plus games with the Pacers playing well lost his job to Hill. IMO, I personally feel Lance has a case if he didn't want to go to the bench for Granger. Granger hasn't attributed 1 minute to the success of where the Pacers are right now. Lance has. Let Granger win his job back... if he can. If Granger can't beat out Lance and is unhappy with the situation of coming off the bench, then ask for a trade. One thing about Walsh is he's willing to accommodate players who want to be traded.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  6. #104
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's sorta a unwritten rule a player doesn't lose his starting job do to an injury.



  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  8. #105
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...so you're comfortable taking your best defender off the league MVP and letting granger guard him for a full playoff series...

    Even if I agreed that George would be any more effective against Wade (which I don't), the logic here still fails me. You're going to entrust the defensive assignment of the NBA's undisputed best player to the second best defensive small forward on your own team?
    I wasn't arguing for Danny guarding James necessarily, just that we'd have a better shot at finishing them off this season were we up 2-1 like last year simply by virtue of George's own improvement, West's health and a more well equipped bench (including stephenson).


    In fact against Miami in particular Granger can pick up some minutes on Bosh at the 4 position. The fact is that it's unlikely that Vogel would even ask Granger to come of the bench in the first place, thus we'll make due, and I think we're a better team overall with him as a starter, so that Lance can create for the guys off the bench, who are lessa adept at creating their own offense than the starters. Plus, he'll have the ball in his hands more often and can look for his own shot more than he can as a starter.

  9. #106
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't arguing for Danny guarding James necessarily, just that we'd have a better shot at finishing them off this season were we up 2-1 like last year simply by virtue of George's own improvement, West's health and a more well equipped bench (including stephenson).


    In fact against Miami in particular Granger can pick up some minutes on Bosh at the 4 position. The fact is that it's unlikely that Vogel would even ask Granger to come of the bench in the first place, thus we'll make due, and I think we're a better team overall with him as a starter, so that Lance can create for the guys off the bench, who are lessa adept at creating their own offense than the starters. Plus, he'll have the ball in his hands more often and can look for his own shot more than he can as a starter.
    ...so you're saying granger should guard bosh?

    So exactly does he guard on Miami if he starts? He has to guard someone....

    If you're going to play a defensive style, first priority needs to be putting the best defensive 5 out there.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #107
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I think some of you are severely doubting PG's versatility if you think moving him to SG is a disservice to him.

    Danny doesn't strike me as the kind of player that can come in off the bench and be a spark like most 6th men types. Those guys are usually ball dominant guards that can create for others, Danny isn't that guy. Lance definitely is.

    On the Heat matchups, I don't think we'll have Danny guard Wade, but to be honest, I'm all for it. At this point in Wade's career he ether goes off completely or looks like trash and I really don't think that has anything to do with who's guarding him.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  12. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think some of you are severely doubting PG's versatility if you think moving him to SG is a disservice to him.

    Danny doesn't strike me as the kind of player that can come in off the bench and be a spark like most 6th men types. Those guys are usually ball dominant guards that can create for others, Danny isn't that guy. Lance definitely is.

    On the Heat matchups, I don't think we'll have Danny guard Wade, but to be honest, I'm all for it. At this point in Wade's career he ether goes off completely or looks like trash and I really don't think that has anything to do with who's guarding him.
    Every SG in the NBA would eat Granger alive........ He isn't quick enough to guard the better SFs. ...

  13. #109
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,247

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 games of scoring 100+ points and its time to bench Danny....

    I think Danny fits in much better with the starters than Lance imo. Lance is best with the ball in his hands, creating for himself and others. Danny is much better without the ball and a better shooter. I think Lance is exactly what the bench needs honestly. I just hope Ian can catch his passes.
    I disagree.

    Our starting 5 has some of the best chemistry in the NBA. I'd HATE to break that up, even for Granger.

  14. #110

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Some players player better as a starter than coming off the bench. What if Stephenson's game suffers not being a starter? What if the Pacers suffer with Lance not starting? Then what?

  15. #111
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,211

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree.

    Our starting 5 has some of the best chemistry in the NBA. I'd HATE to break that up, even for Granger.
    Our starting 5 had some of the best chemistry last year, including Danny.

    As good as our chemistry has been, we still suck offensively.

  16. #112

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    \


    Sorry, I have no clue as to who this is or your point.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  18. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our starting 5 had some of the best chemistry last year, including Danny.

    As good as our chemistry has been, we still suck offensively.
    That was last year, lets talk about the present and future and yes we suck offensively in big part because the Pacers failed to rebuild the bench.

  19. #114
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,812
    Mood

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Maybe, doubt coach knows at this point.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  20. #115
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I believe they should give it a few games to see what groups play best together. After all the object of the game is to win, not worry about who scores the most points for our team.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:


  22. #116

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I give up. I have nothing to add to this....I can't even respond with anything substantial. I give up.

    Maybe subconsciously, those three similies are what I believe represents the beginning, middle and end of what would happen to the Pacer fan collective if Vogel announced Granger and not George would be guarding LeBron in a 7 game playoff series.
    Granger is stronger. Lebron was backing PG down anytime he wanted to the last game we played. That scared me. And you better believe Lebron noticed he could do that. And he'll do it more often in the playoffs. (so after Roy helped Lebron with his floater, PG is going to teach him how to become better at posting up. You're welcome NBA.) Regardless, that's not the point.

    The point is we win the playoff series last season if Wade doesn't go off too. They both do need to play at that level to beat us. I'm confident that Granger/George against Lebron/Wade is a better match up, both defensively and offensively. (I mean seriously..how in the world is Wade going to guard Granger or George) than George/Lance vs Lebron/Wade. (Basically what I'm saying, is that in the playoffs, I'm more comfortable with Granger on Lebron, than Lance on Wade.)

    If it's not working out that way, there are numerous ways our team can adjust. We can go small (although I wouldn't suggest taking away our strength) We can play different defenses, we can simply move George to Lebron.....

    I think people have forgotten how good Danny is. And us having essentially six starters isn't a bad thing. But the obvious choice for the bench is Lance, IMO. (assuming Danny is himself.)

  23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  24. #117

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I agree. Paul George is playing excellent with his current position and role, why mess with that? Our bench is pretty terrible and Granger could definitely help fix that.

    Whether I would want Granger to finish close games mainly depends on how Paul George looks playing the 2

  25. #118
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every SG in the NBA would eat Granger alive........ He isn't quick enough to guard the better SFs. ...
    PG's guards the best perimeter player. That's how it is now, that's how it'll be when Granger gets back. I'm only counting 5 teams in the east that would require Granger to guard SGs and Dwyane Wade is the only player that I think could "eat Granger alive."

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  27. #119
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG's guards the best perimeter player. That's how it is now, that's how it'll be when Granger gets back. I'm only counting 5 teams in the east that would require Granger to guard SGs and Dwyane Wade is the only player that I think could "eat Granger alive."
    ...you mean pretty much every team you're competing with in the east?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  28. #120
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    \


    Sorry, I have no clue as to who this is or your point.
    It's Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers QB. He got hurt this year, Colin Kaepernick beasted it up and he hasn't played since, even though he was healthy during a lot of the games Kaepernick started.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  29. #121
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George can be fine at the two. But he's very good at the 3.
    I don't really know what this means. What exactly is the difference between the 3 and the 2 in our system? Or are you talking about defense only?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  31. #122
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Vogel will probably have him be the sixth man when he returns so they don't mess up the starting five's chemistry
    "We want Miami"

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:


  33. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Granger will start at the 3 and PG will start at the 2, it's the best thing for the team. I still expect Danny to be the best offensive player we have once he adjust and I think he'll most likely lead the team in points per game by the end of the year. Danny is a very good defender and I think he guards the 3 better the PG does, I don't think he gets due credit in that area. PG is a better perimeter defender but Danny isn't bad their either. Of the 2 PG is better suited to guard the 2 then Danny is, nothing else makes sense for this team. Not starting your best scorer would be just plain stupid.

  34. #124
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really know what this means. What exactly is the difference between the 3 and the 2 in our system? Or are you talking about defense only?
    Defense. You can run whatever system you want on offense, though they are not at all suited to play together that end, either.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  35. #125
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having Danny and Paul together means our offense regresses to last year.
    Our offense last year was better than it is this year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Lakers will have healthy Gasol coming off bench [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. Granger from the bench
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
  3. What say you we bring Granger off the bench?
    By Phree Refill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  4. Healthy Granger hopes to cure Pacers' painful season
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
  5. Reasons why Granger should come off the bench
    By Isaac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •