Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 294

Thread: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

  1. #1

    Default Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Minimizes impact to his knees and maintains the chemistry of the starting unit that is pretty much freaking amazing at this particular time.

    The thought of Granger being our gun off the bench practically gives me a stiffy. What a b!tchslap that is for playoff opponents.

    Frankly I think it is in Granger's best interest to embrace the 6th man role, if only for the remainder of this season. He risks damage to his reputation if he derails the train by coming back into a starter role. And, then, possibly demotion if its ugly. So why not preserve your rep and take the 6th man role, kill it and build up your trade value?

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Granger will start. No way around that.

    How would he "derail the train" by coming back and starting? That's his spot.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,378

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I think he should return off the bench for a bit and see how it goes, for two reasons: 1) to make sure the chemistry is returned to normalcy, and 2) to allow him to ease back from his time off and get back into game shape. It should be a natural transition not a forced transition.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,164
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I expect him to start, and play restricted minutes. I expect during playoffs that Danny, Lance and Paul will all play 30+ minutes. More going to the one who is playing better that night.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger will start. No way around that.

    How would he "derail the train" by coming back and starting? That's his spot.
    His spot was the starting SF. It isn't his spot anymore. And yes, it absolutely matters, especially if Danny has lost a step defensively.

    Using him as a 6th man is probably in the best interest of the team, but I doubt granger would be happy with it.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    3 games of scoring 100+ points and its time to bench Danny....

    I think Danny fits in much better with the starters than Lance imo. Lance is best with the ball in his hands, creating for himself and others. Danny is much better without the ball and a better shooter. I think Lance is exactly what the bench needs honestly. I just hope Ian can catch his passes.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I see Danny playing like 2 weeks from the bench progressively getting more minutes, starting with 5 or so and/or garbage minutes up to the usual 30.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #8
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,583

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    I would like to test out using Danny as our sixth man type of player, but I doubt Vogel will try it. I don't know how Danny would take it either.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  16. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 games of scoring 100+ points and its time to bench Danny....

    I think Danny fits in much better with the starters than Lance imo. Lance is best with the ball in his hands, creating for himself and others. Danny is much better without the ball and a better shooter. I think Lance is exactly what the bench needs honestly. I just hope Ian can catch his passes.
    Offensively, I agree. Defensively? Totally different story. Stephenson has been very successful on that end as the starting 2-guard, and the Pacers are a defensive team.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-06-2013 at 03:24 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Hasn't Vogel already said that Danny would start or am I making that up?
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  19. #11

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Vogel said Granger will come off the bench at first, then he'll move to the starters.

    It's the right decision.

    Granger helps the team offensively and defensively. And Lance will help the bench on both ends.

  20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,939

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hasn't Vogel already said that Danny would start or am I making that up?
    He said something along the lines that he will come off the bench at first, and the plan is to eventually have him start once he is in game shape. Of course plans can always change if it turns out bringing him in off the bench works extremely well. At the beginning the of year the plan was to have Green start for Granger, and look how that turned out. In sports plans can never be set in stone, they can only be general guidelines.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel said Granger will come off the bench at first, then he'll move to the starters.

    It's the right decision.

    Granger helps the team offensively and defensively. And Lance will help the bench on both ends.
    I'm not saying I don't believe you (because I do), but do you remember where you got that? I can't find anything.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  24. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,939

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel said Granger will come off the bench at first, then he'll move to the starters.

    It's the right decision.

    Granger helps the team offensively and defensively. And Lance will help the bench on both ends.
    So would Granger off the bench. It is just a matter of what works better. We can't say at this point, but it would be stupid to completely rule out the possibility of using Granger in the 6th man role.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    This is the closest thing I found:

    Granger (knee) is likely to come off the bench, playing reduced
    Posted 18 days 9 hrs 59 mins ago via rotowire.com

    Granger (knee) is likely to come off the bench, playing reduced minutes, when he eventually returns to active duty for Indiana, the Indianapolis Star reports. 'I don't imagine he's going to be able to play 38 minutes right away,' Indiana head coach Frank Vogel said. 'If there's a time frame where he's limited minutes-wise, we'll consider bringing him off the bench short term, but if we do so it'll only be short term.' [...]

    http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nba/...laying-reduced
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,055

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel said Granger will come off the bench at first, then he'll move to the starters.

    It's the right decision.

    Granger helps the team offensively and defensively. And Lance will help the bench on both ends.
    I guess I just trust Danny to be the main scoring option for a unit more than I do Lance... Known vs. Unknown I guess...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  29. #17
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Why wouldn't you want a guy that is playing like Lance... wait, ACTUALLY LANCE coming off the bench to help where we really need help?

    If you guys say Danny is this decrepit old piece of dirt then hey, wouldn't he do much better in a unit that is actually producing?

    And if Lance throws a fit because his starting spot was taken away to a player vastly superior to him, then he really didn't deserve the spot in the first place.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.

  30. #18
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't you want a guy that is playing like Lance... wait, ACTUALLY LANCE coming off the bench to help where we really need help?

    If you guys say Danny is this decrepid old piece of dirt then hey, wouldn't he do much better in a unit that is actually producing?
    As the medical saying goes, "do no harm."

    I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Your best player's effectiveness is maximized at SF. Likewise, Stephenson's effectiveness has been maximized starting at SG and doing the little things defensively.

    It theoretically isn't about Danny. It's about disturbing a starting 5 that's carrying the team and providing for a bench unit that's badly needed perimeter shooting all season.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    But you know for a fact when all the rust is gone, Danny is going to be the starting 3 again. Like I said, there is no way around it.

  33. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you know for a fact when all the rust is gone, Danny is going to be the starting 3 again. Like I said, there is no way around it.
    Maybe he will. I just question the logic of displacing your best player to accommodate your former best player. And no, starting george at the two is not a negligible difference.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe he will. I just question the logic of displacing your best player to accommodate your former best player. And no, starting george at the two is not a negligible difference.
    Surely you just didn't call Lance our best player...

  36. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely you just didn't call Lance our best player...
    Lance isn't your starting small forward.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  37. #23
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,058
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely you just didn't call Lance our best player...
    No he's talking about moving Paul to SG so Danny can be SF, Danny is way to slow to guard 2's.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  38. #24
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,423

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe Granger should go to the bench when healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't you want a guy that is playing like Lance... wait, ACTUALLY LANCE coming off the bench to help where we really need help?

    If you guys say Danny is this decrepit old piece of dirt then hey, wouldn't he do much better in a unit that is actually producing?

    And if Lance throws a fit because his starting spot was taken away to a player vastly superior to him, then he really didn't deserve the spot in the first place.
    You seem threatened by Lance emerging as a star player. Not sure why you are so convinced that Lance needs to go back to the bench. I worry about David West if Lance is benched. Stephenson seems to know exactly where David needs the ball.
    David "And One" West

  39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  40. #25
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,730

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You seem threatened by Lance emerging as a star player. Not sure why you are so convinced that Lance needs to go back to the bench. I worry about David West if Lance is benched. Stephenson seems to know exactly where David needs the ball.
    This.

    The pacers are more threatening with lance starting than with Danny. Better chemistry, better ball movement, better defense.

    Granger provides a volume shooter, but I don't think they need that in their starting five. The best defensive unit should start.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Lakers will have healthy Gasol coming off bench [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. Granger from the bench
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
  3. What say you we bring Granger off the bench?
    By Phree Refill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  4. Healthy Granger hopes to cure Pacers' painful season
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
  5. Reasons why Granger should come off the bench
    By Isaac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •