Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Colts make a Super Bowl push in 2013?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Can the Colts make a Super Bowl push in 2013?

I think the Colts can make a nice playoff run if they can retain everyone from the roster and pickup some nice additions in free agency and the draft. This team has the ability to do so
    "We want Miami"

Sure we can. We were capable this year. No reason not to expect improvement.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Can the Colts make a Super Bowl push in 2013?

If they make all the right signings I don't see why we couldn't compete with the Texans, Patriots, and Broncos.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they make all the right signings I don't see why we couldn't compete with the Texans, Patriots, and Broncos.
    Forgetting about a division with 1/2 of the last eight AFC champions, the reigning Super Bowl champion (yes, they'll have salary cap issues), and the up-and-coming Bengals?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Offensive line must improve.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I expect them to slide backwards. They shouldn't have been 11-5.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Thats funny.

They have more money and younger proven talent now and you think they will be worse? I can understand if you think the schedule is harder or if the loss of BA is signifcant but they played to their potential IMO.

They will be playing with an offense that will be a lot more efficient and hopefully will result in more points than we had this year. And the defense should hopefully get better. I expect 11-5 again.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Very positive.
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Very positive.
    Honestly, he's probably right. We will be a better team next year with a worse record.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I have a feeling we show improvement, but still exhibit growing pains with a young team and finish 10-6 or 9-7 due to a harder schedule.

Edit: I just saw we have the third weakest schedule next year based on 2012 results. That isn't always the best indicator but I think 10 wins is about right.
    Last edited by LuckSwagger; 02-07-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Forgetting about a division with 1/2 of the last eight AFC champions, the reigning Super Bowl champion (yes, they'll have salary cap issues), and the up-and-coming Bengals?
    No, they just aren't going to be as good as those 3 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Honestly, he's probably right. We will be a better team next year with a worse record.
    We have a lot of favorable home games next year.
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not exactly sure of their formula, but profootballreference.com takes your team stats (yards and points differential, turnover differential, offense, defense, etc.) and calculates an "expected W/L record" for that team. The 11-5 Colts based on stats would be expected to be 7-9 (actually 7.2-8.8). Most of that is due to point differential I am sure, with the blowout losses and close wins.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/clt/2012.htm

It's not bad to be greater than the sum of your parts, so to speak, but it does suggest that there was some degree of favorable scheduling / good fortune was at work.

Given the favorable cap position and team youth, though, I'd expect actual improvement in talent and maybe a similar record, or perhaps 10-6. But that would specifically assume upgrades in the offensive line, which I think holds you back more than anything else.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

not sure if we make it to 11-5, bash me if u want just what I think.... we rode ALOT of emotion this past season. Will be interesting to see how we spend our money/draft picks. Better team overall with a playoff spot but dont think we go 11-5

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Thats funny.

They have more money and younger proven talent now and you think they will be worse? I can understand if you think the schedule is harder or if the loss of BA is signifcant but they played to their potential IMO.
    It's not really a knock, and its for the close wins that they had.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get back with me after our off-season. It all depends on what we put in place with the enormous amount of cap space we have, and what pieces we pick up in the draft, and trades, etc... the coaching staff is in place and I think it's a good one.

If we have an ideal off-season, I could see us pushing for a SB appearance as a best-case scenario, but that might be in the form of the 2013 Ravens, where we sort of back in by losing more than we should, and then make a run in the playoffs. We could easily have a worse record and still be a better team than last year. The bar has been set high.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Having money to spend is great.

Except when you spend it on guys like Samson Satele, Tom Zbikowski, a 32 year old Cory Redding to a 3 year deal, Mike McGlynn, and Donnie Avery (the guy is awful) when you have scant money to spend in the first place. The Mathis deal isn't exactly great either. Freeman was a stellar signing though, I'll give him that. I like Grigson, his draft was great, I'm glad he's running the Colts.

He didn't spend free agent money wisely. And you know why? Because free agency is much more often than not an abject failure in the NFL. It is not the way to build a quality NFL roster.

We went 4-2 last year against the division.. Anything less than 4-2 in 2013 would be a disappointment. We will likely lose at Houston and will probably lose one against either Tennessee or Jacksonville.

We went 3-1 against the NFC North, which was very impressive. We play the NFC West this year and it will be hard to replicate that success considering we play at San Francisco and host Seattle. Plus you know that Arians will probably have a great game plan against Luck considering he knows him inside and out. Hopefully we can beat St. Louis. I'm going to say we go 2-2 against the NFC West.

We play the AFC West. The Denver game will obviously be tough. At San Diego certainly won't be easy. We should win against Oakland and Kansas City. I'm going to say 3-1 or 2-2.

The two games against the teams that finished in the same spot of their division are Miami at home and Cincy on the road. Should beat Miami, but Cincy will be tough. I'll go out on a limb and say we get a big road win in Cincy and go 2-0 against those two teams.

I'm going to say 10-6. We have some tough games: Denver, @ SF, Seattle, @ Arizona (their coach knows us well), @ Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Get back with me after our off-season. It all depends on what we put in place with the enormous amount of cap space we have, and what pieces we pick up in the draft, and trades, etc... the coaching staff is in place and I think it's a good one.

If we have an ideal off-season, I could see us pushing for a SB appearance as a best-case scenario, but that might be in the form of the 2013 Ravens, where we sort of back in by losing more than we should, and then make a run in the playoffs. We could easily have a worse record and still be a better team than last year. The bar has been set high.

This is a great point too. You're right, there isn't much point in answering this question until we see what moves are made. This question will be much more relevant in April.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Except when you spend it on guys like Samson Satele, Tom Zbikowski, a 32 year old Cory Redding to a 3 year deal, Mike McGlynn, and Donnie Avery (the guy is awful) when you have scant money to spend in the first place. The Mathis deal isn't exactly great either. Freeman was a stellar signing though, I'll give him that. I like Grigson, his draft was great, I'm glad he's running the Colts.

He didn't spend free agent money wisely. And you know why? Because free agency is much more often than not an abject failure in the NFL. It is not the way to build a quality NFL roster.
    I never felt like the ones he brought in were long-term solutions... they were stop-gaps and veteran presence for what he knew would be a very young, inexperienced team. I don't think any of those guys got very expensive or long-term contracts.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I never felt like the ones he brought in were long-term solutions... they were stop-gaps and veteran presence for what he knew would be a very young, inexperienced team. I don't think any of those guys got very expensive or long-term contracts.

Right, I mean we had to field a roster somehow......

Mood

Ofcourse, but like many people said certain thinks have to happen...

We have to have Luck on our side again, we have to mesh well, we have to get more talent at some positions, and we have to hope that our young guys develop.

With a new OC, new O-line coach, new guys coming in, the offseason will be critical. I still think the conference is tough so you may be able to push for a spot if you are 9-7, and making it to the playoffs is the most important thing.

One final thing we have to do is show consistency, especially on the road, if we can do all these things well then we should have a good shot at going far in the playoffs.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    We have to have Luck on our side again
    We'll have Luck on our side for the next 13 or so years.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't think you will find a poster on here that thinks NFL FA's is the way to build. Drafting and smart FA's signing is the way to go. I would argue that Cory Redding , Mike McGlynn and Winston Justice were not bad signings given the production for the cost. Even Mathis and Wayne were productive and many of the signings were to add depth not all of them were considered starting material.

FA's can plug holes on a team that needs to address key positions and I can give you examples of teams in the past and present that have done just that. Grigson reminds me of a more frugal spender than a guy who will chase a Mario Williams name like the BIlls did last year.

Also keep in mind the Colts have to spend money to meet the league minimal salary floor anyway. Might as well get a good OG and solidify the line and maybe lock up another DB. Combine a couple of signings with another solid draft and their is not much of reason to the think the Colts can't improve in key areas.