Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indy's non-pursuit of NBA all-star game remains mystery

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indy's non-pursuit of NBA all-star game remains mystery

Maybe if the league could take the albatross of the old St. Louis Spirits TV money contract off their backs, the Pacers and Indianapolis CIB could afford to host it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmmm... Chicago hasn't hosted it since '88, which means its never been in The UC.

Wouldn't you think they'd rather host it than admit that yet again Indianapolis is better at hosting large sporting events than they are. They're still stinging over the Big Ten football championship.

I also don't buy the dome stadium idea. The ASG has been in two domed stadiums since playing in the Astrodome in 1989 - the Alamodome and Cowboys Stadium. They've been back to Houston twice (including this year) and played in the Toyota Center.

I think if the ASG ever comes back (and I wouldn't count on it), it will be at the Fieldhouse.
    Good point about Houston putting it at Toyota instead of Reliant. Also, Phoenix hosted it at USAir instead of Glendale, and New Orleans had it at New Orleans Arena instead of the Super Dome. I suppose that Cowboys Stadium hosting it planted the Lucas idea in my head, as well as the fact that it was at the Hoosier Dome instead of MSA in 1985. I do think there would be a push to have it at Lucas, but it's pure guessing on my part.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    I can't find the links but I thought sources within the Pacers have said previously that the All-Star Game is a logistical nightmare and more trouble than it's worth financially.
    I think this is a fairly outdated notion. We regularly host Final Fours and we've now hosted a Super Bowl. It may be a logistical nightmare, but Indianapolis is one of the top cities in the nation in terms of logistics, period.

I just think the cost of it is more of the issue. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but besides seeing one of our guys labeled as an All Star, I couldn't give a damn about the game or the weekend.
    Last edited by Mac_Daddy; 02-06-2013 at 08:52 AM.

A lot of people come to the site of the ASG, but don't go to the actual game. So the 37,000 figure sounds about right in fact that might be low.

Two things: pacers franchise would lose money on the hosting of the allstar game and DW has said that very few season ticket holders would be able to go. In the 18K BLF, probably around 1,000 regular season ticket holders -

If the pacers had wanted it, they would have hosted it by now. There was a time when the NBA would award the ASG to cities with new arenas, if they wanted it.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-06-2013 at 09:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm all for an ASG. I know I wouldn't go to the game, but I would love to attend some of the activities that lead up to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    People would definitely travel from Chicago I am sure of it. 37000 does not sound far off to me at all.
    is this good?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    is this good?
    Yes of course. It's not like it is a regular season game or playoff game or anything.

Chicago Money works the same way.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I can understand why the Pacers wouldn't be in favor of it but if the Orlando numbers are even half right, the organization owes it to the city to bite the bullet.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

i'm sure there are other out there who know a good deal more about this etc. however, like others mentioned what walsh said years ago- i just don't think it is really worth the hassle for the ownership.
    i know some have mentioned the final fours etc. but those are at lucas where irsay gets most if not all the dough. simon is definitely not going to be cool with that and i don't blame him so l.o.s. would be completely out of the question. not to mention big stadiums like that are simply the absolute worst venues for basketball. i have been to multiple games at the Hoosier dome and it was always a horrible venue to see a basketball game.
    and as far as i know, the hosting team is responsible for putting everything together cover the expenses. i don't know how the ncaa works those final fours but it is probably worked out differently than that as the participating teams don't cover the cost of running the whole show.
    for big market teams, i can see how it might not be such a big deal. the lakers and knicks etc. can afford to waste millions all the time as they often do.
    i just don't think the actual team gets very much to make it worth it and they should be adequately compensated for the hassle.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i'm sure there are other out there who know a good deal more about this etc. however, like others mentioned what walsh said years ago- i just don't think it is really worth the hassle for the ownership.
    i know some have mentioned the final fours etc. but those are at lucas where irsay gets most if not all the dough. simon is definitely not going to be cool with that and i don't blame him so l.o.s. would be completely out of the question. not to mention big stadiums like that are simply the absolute worst venues for basketball. i have been to multiple games at the Hoosier dome and it was always a horrible venue to see a basketball game.
    and as far as i know, the hosting team is responsible for putting everything together cover the expenses. i don't know how the ncaa works those final fours but it is probably worked out differently than that as the participating teams don't cover the cost of running the whole show.
    for big market teams, i can see how it might not be such a big deal. the lakers and knicks etc. can afford to waste millions all the time as they often do.
    i just don't think the actual team gets very much to make it worth it and they should be adequately compensated for the hassle.
    Against the point of the thread but there is no comparison between basketball at the Hoosier Dome and basketball at Lucas Oil. It is light years better. Sure, a huge stadium like that isn't as ideal a fan setting as Bankers Life, but it is far better than the past basketball games played in football stadiums.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I said it once and I'll say it again. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT KIND OF HASSLE IT CAUSES FOR THE OWNERSHIP! You owe the city an All-Star Game and it is in the lease. Apparently, they are just trying to ignore it and hope the city forgets about it. A hassle is not an acceptable reason to turn away a big event for the city. It seems like some of you are trying to defend the teams reasoning and I just don't understand how. No NBA team is given the kind of monetary support in multiple facets then the Pacers get from the city of Indianapolis.
    Last edited by boombaby1987; 02-06-2013 at 10:47 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

well, if it is in the lease, then i suppose they should just do it once to get it out of the way. i might tune in to catch the 3 point contest. beyond that- meh.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Beyond the hassle for the front office of hosting the ASG at BLF, and even given that PS&E could lose some money on the venture, for a franchise that has mostly lost the interest of the local fan base, wouldn't it be a good idea to host All-Star weekend to try to drum up interest in the NBA in Indiana, and by proxy, the Pacers? Seems like if you had all the media and locals talking about All-Star Weekend, the fact that the Pacers are good guys who happen to be third in the Eastern Conference would work its way into the conversation.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Two things: pacers franchise would lose money on the hosting of the allstar game and DW has said that very few season ticket holders would be able to go. In the 18K BLF, probably around 1,000 regular season ticket holders -
    See I don't get this. A season ticket holder does indeed pay to see the Pacers in BLF, but why exactly should it be their right to have dibs on tickets to the All Star game? Maybe I'm missing something here. Does STHs have first dibs on tickets to concerts like Kenny Chesney or U2 who perform in BLF because the Pacers play there?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Beyond the hassle for the front office of hosting the ASG at BLF, and even given that PS&E could lose some money on the venture, for a franchise that has mostly lost the interest of the local fan base, wouldn't it be a good idea to host All-Star weekend to try to drum up interest in the NBA in Indiana, and by proxy, the Pacers? Seems like if you had all the media and locals talking about All-Star Weekend, the fact that the Pacers are good guys who happen to be third in the Eastern Conference would work its way into the conversation.

Yeah, I can't think of a better way to gin up some interest in the NBA than by bringing in the biggest name NBA players to put on a show for the weekend. It would bring in thousands of people and I have a feeling that a lot of locals would flock downtown to get in on the party. It wouldn't be anything like the Super Bowl, but there would definitely be a lot of people in bars and restaurants. It seems to me that the Pacers could piggy back off of the hype the game would bring in.

Seems to me like it's mostly pure laziness on the part of the Pacers. Personally, I think they owe it to the community to try since the community has given them millions and millions and millions of taxpayer dollars.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Yes of course. It's not like it is a regular season game or playoff game or anything.

Chicago Money works the same way.
    You're assuming Chicago money is interested in the ASG.

There's probably a contingent of Chicago money that travels to every ASG. Friends and family of Chicago-based players around the league. And they aren't looking forward to a short drive to Indy. They want to go someplace warm.

In my gym in the Loop the other night, not a single TV was tuned to the Bulls-Pacers games. College games were one, Headline news was on. But not an NBA game. This is not an NBA town. The bar in the train station had the game on as I walked past, but not a single person was in there.

They sell out the UC because its a huge population market and a relatively small arena. Keep in mind that in a MSA of 9.5 million people, Soldier Field is relatively smaller (by ratio of population to capacity) than the Fieldhouse is.

Chicago
    9.5 million people
    The UC capacity about 21,500
    Soldier Field capacity about 61,500

Soldier Field has one seat for every 154 people in the Chicago metro area.
    The Fieldhouse has one seat for every 98 people in the Indy metro area.
    The UC has one seat for every 440 people in the Chicago metro area.

If The UC were as relatively big in this market as the Fieldhouse is in the Indy market, it would have a capacity of 96,000. They'd clearly never sell that out for an NBA game, although they'd certainly have it between 1/3 and 1/2 full for high profile games. And between 1/4 and 1/3 full for the rest of the games.

The interest in professional basketball in the Chicago market is always overstated. Yes, there is a contingent of Bulls fans, and they do fill up their small (by population size) arena. But this isn't like NYC where everybody is interested in and talking about the Knicks, even when they're bad.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    See I don't get this. A season ticket holder does indeed pay to see the Pacers in BLF, but why exactly should it be their right to have dibs on tickets to the All Star game? Maybe I'm missing something here. Does STHs have first dibs on tickets to concerts like Kenny Chesney or U2 who perform in BLF because the Pacers play there?

Suite holders? Yes, absolutely.

I know we get pre-sale announcements at work for events in The UC for the company's tickets.

The idea here is that the Pacers aren't crazy about doing all that work so that somebody else takes all the profits - especially if their most loyal customers can't even get in to the event.

This is obviously a blurry line because the Pacers are being supported by public money, but they are at their core a for-profit business trying to maximize profits (or minimize losses).

Bball has hit the nail on the head. I'm amazed this is in the contract between the team and the CIB. Because the business reasons for why the Pacers don't want to pursue the ASG again are pretty easy to understand.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

I am no longer a STH, but Redskins fans were offered all kinds of pre-sales to concerts/games at old RFK or now FEDEX.

Now if you want to argue that is not a right.......that is a diffrent story. But we get "dibs" if you will. on many things...one of the perks of being a STH

I don't really care if we get it personally, but there is no reason we shouldn't go after it as a franchise/city.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Question - why is Irsay a hero over the Super Bowl when the city spent all the money and did all the work, but Simon is a bum when PS&E would have to spend all the money and do all the work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Question - why is Irsay a hero over the Super Bowl when the city spent all the money and did all the work, but Simon is a bum when PS&E would have to spend all the money and do all the work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    That's a slight over simplification of the work Irsay put in to sell the city the NFL powers that be. Make no mistake your city does not get a super bowl if the other owners don't want you to. Jimmy definitely had to do some heavy lifting on that deal.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I've lost track... what does PS&E get? I thought their cut was 100% (of anything in BLF)?
    No! Very far from it... If PS&E got 100% of all non NBA events, there wouldn't have been the shock in the Lucas Oil deal. There are events that happen at BLF where PS&E don't get proceeds like at Lucas Oil.

The 50% of everything that goes through Lucas Oil Stadium to Colts owner Jim Irsay was a very unique deal that caught A LOT of attention when the deal was made public.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    That's a slight over simplification of the work Irsay put in to sell the city the NFL powers that be. Make no mistake your city does not get a super bowl if the other owners don't want you to. Jimmy definitely had to do some heavy lifting on that deal.
    It sure is a lot easier to buy the groceries when someone else is standing at the register writing the check!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

It sure is a lot easier to buy the groceries when someone else is standing at the register writing the check!
    Come on Gnome do you honestly think that is how it went down? Can't believe I'm going to stick up for Irsay, but the simple fact is, Indy would not have the Super Bowl last year without him. Period.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Come on Gnome do you honestly think that is how it went down? Can't believe I'm going to stick up for Irsay, but the simple fact is, Indy would not have the Super Bowl last year without him. Period.
    In that case why did the city have to spend so much money?

The comparison is in the amount the franchise/owner has to spend compared to the amount the city has to spend. The expectation is that the city funds the Super Bowl bid but that the team funds the NBA All Star bid. Irsay can certainly be free with his own time and sales efforts when he isn't spending the multi million $ to fund the staff and activities for the bid, the preparations, and the event. PS&E would be on the hook for all those costs for the All Star game.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Just package an All-Star ticket with the premium ST packages for that year and bump the costs for that year. Also, give the option of selling back the All-Star ticket back to the Pacers at a lesser cost, so they can sell them to people who actually want to go, while giving your ST holders first chance.