Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure. I haven't seen enough of Oladipo. Burke is better offensively by far and quicker. We don't need a swingman anyways
    There is no way you can be not sure if Oladipo is a better defender than Burke, if you have watched Oladipo for 2 seconds on defense you know he is much better.

As far as Burke being better offensively "by far", well all I know is one of these guys is probably the most efficient perimeter scorer in the country and it is not Burke.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Burke is much better with the ball, both taking shots off the dribble and ball handling in general, but I think Vic is as good as if not better in most other ways. Vic suffers from tunnel vision when he drives but he finishes around the rim better. Burke is probably a better shooter, but VO has a pretty stroke that will respond to hard work and stretch as far as the nba 3 point line. Almost all other intangibles Victor has over Burke. Defense, rebounding for position, help D, and off the ball movement.
    Last edited by Mr.Hinds; 02-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Another thread about picking a player who went to Indiana...

I'm not one to bring people down on here, but seriously, c'mon. Oladipo is a great athlete and has surprised this year, but you can't think like a homer and be a GM. Look how that Reggie/Alford decision played out. Thank God we didn't go with the other, the Pacers wouldn't be here if we did. Eric Gordon won't happen, Zeller won't happen, Oladipo will go too early, and the way our wing players are right now, I don't think we need him. I'm still shaking my head at the "Cellar for Zeller" thread from early December. Good thing we didn't listen to that philosophy either.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchbr For This Useful Post:

Mood

Personally, I'm not talking about trading away Danny Granger for a lottery pick and steal VO while everybody else hasn't even turned to his page. But if the Pacers end up with a 20+ pick, as of right now in early February, I would not be upset with picking Oladipo. He's got a high-ish ceiling and fits the scheme of the team well. Tenacious defender with a high motor. That's not being a homer, I don't think.

It's ok though- if I were a Purdue fan my head would be spining at the thought of two NBA caliber players on one team as well.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post

I'm not one to bring people down on here, but seriously, c'mon. Oladipo is a great athlete and has surprised this year, but you can't think like a homer and be a GM. Look how that Reggie/Alford decision played out. Thank God we didn't go with the other, the Pacers wouldn't be here if we did. Eric Gordon won't happen, Zeller won't happen, Oladipo will go too early, and the way our wing players are right now, I don't think we need him. I'm still shaking my head at the "Cellar for Zeller" thread from early December. Good thing we didn't listen to that philosophy either.
    When are we gonna get some threads about picking players from Purdue?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Victor is a bit small for my liking at the 2 spot, but he does play good D and he is pretty darn good on the offense. I like his style of play. I want to see more before making a decision on anything of him being a Pacers. I do know this, I had no interest in him last season.
    I've never seen him live, but that is what I've heard. That he lacks the size to be a star at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    I've never seen him live, but that is what I've heard. That he lacks the size to be a star at the NBA level.
    He is 6'5, 210 lbs. That is plenty of size. Nevermind that he can jump out of the gym, is an elite defender, and can get to the rim at will. Oh and then there is the tenacious work ethic and excellent attitude.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    we generally don't cover the minor leagues from overseas

j/k

I never understood the fascination with typecasting a player based on his school. Drew Brees was a Purdue QB. Curtis Painter was a Purdue QB. It doesn't matter. You can find good players if you look for them, and where they are doesn't have whole lot to do with their pro prospects.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    He is 6'5, 210 lbs. That is plenty of size. Nevermind that he can jump out of the gym, is an elite defender, and can get to the rim at will. Oh and then there is the tenacious work ethic and excellent attitude.
    I'd agree with all that except getting to the rim at will. He has an explosive first step but dribbles in a straight line to the hoop. He'll get a lot of charges called on him if he doesn't change that. Not many lanes are left as wide open as they are in college. Almost every team has atleast one quality rim protector in the rotation and the speed of nearly every guard in the NBA is going to be better than what VO matches up with in college. I'll be very interested how his offensive skill set translates to the Association.

But I have to agree his athletisim and work ethic makes me think he will become a starting 2 guard for an NBA team sometime down the line.

~Ahmad Rashad~

Oh for Christ's sake. That argument only holds weight if we were crowing for the Pacers to pick Jordan Hulls.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Nah, we shouldn't pick Jordan Hulls, now if we are lucky enough that Jeff Howard slips to us, we gotta jump on that like a starving man on a Christmas ham!

Nah, we shouldn't pick Jordan Hulls, now if we are lucky enough that Jeff Howard slips to us, we gotta jump on that like a starving man on a Christmas ham!
    TJ, don't be silly. Taylor Wayer is obviously our Plan A. Dude leads college basketball in trillions!

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    TJ, don't be silly. Taylor Wayer is obviously our Plan A. Dude leads college basketball in trillions!
    Sadly, with credentials like that, he will be gone way before we pick. Can't wait to get my Taylor Wayer Bobcats jersey!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about Johnny Marlin I played with him in middle school would be great value at #30.

We all agree nothing like taking an IU walk on just because he played for IU

damn us IU Homers!! (........suddlenly realize I don't like IU and I wanted Victor because he is a beast and would be perfect for the BnG)

and thoes who say Victor is small are just dead wrong. I sat front row watching him play vs Lance and Victor was as long if not longer that was Victor as a freshmen. I mean for pete sakes the dude has like a million deflections he plays like a prototypical 2 and plays bigger than his size to boot.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I think it's insane to suggest it's just a homer pick, and nothing else, to take Oladipo. It's rare you see a player that athletic, and THAT dynamic on the defensive end, coming out of college.

He's like a smart Gerald Green...that can defend...and doesn't just jack shots...and hits the shots he does take...

(...so he's nothing like Green.)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'd take AJ Hammons over Miles Plumlee without hesitation.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'd take AJ Hammons over Miles Plumlee without hesitation.
    I would too. Even if he flames out he can probably do a great David Harrison water commercial impersonation.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    perennial all-star players: Dick and Tom Van Arsdale, Eric Gordon .
    Might be a little premature to label Gordon as a perennial all star, as he's never been one yet!

Michael Beasley was 6-10 at Kansas State too. That's what I meant about seeing him in person. If he is really 6-5, that is one thing. If he is really 6-2 that is completely different. The harsh reality is size matters in the NBA.

Undefeated

SI.com story about draft boards and rating players by Chris Mannix:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...3_a6&eref=sihp

VO is not in the top twenty. I think there's a good chance he will be going around 20th, aka, not a highly valued pick. It's definitely conceivable that the Pacers could end up with him. We love him here cause we're in IU territory, and I've noticed he's getting more and more national attention, but that doesn't mean he'll be "long gone".
    Danger Zone

He'd be a steal if he dropped to us the way he's playing right now. Even as a Purdue fan I'd welcome him to the blue and gold. I just get frustrated when people post like that. No threads saying "We need to draft (for example, I don't want him) Nerlens Noel." Sorry to ruffle feathers.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

He'd be a steal if he dropped to us the way he's playing right now. Even as a Purdue fan I'd welcome him to the blue and gold. I just get frustrated when people post like that. No threads saying "We need to draft (for example, I don't want him) Nerlens Noel." Sorry to ruffle feathers.
    I just think it is expected and as long as it is a player that could help the P's I think it is a fine convo to have. The fact Vic plays for IU should be irrelevant to the topic of he would impact the Pacers.

I see what you mean. I think it's just easier to see the similarities between how the Pacers play and how Vic plays because we (IU fans) see him play all the time. I don't really watch much college ball outside of IU and March, so I can't really comment on other players.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    If he is really 6-5, that is one thing. If he is really 6-2 that is completely different. The harsh reality is size matters in the NBA.
    I don't have a screen shot, but after one game this year VO was being interviewed by the 6'6" Jim Jackson (former OSU and NBA player, now an announcer with the BTN). They seemed, to a first approximation, to be the same height. I think 6'5" is a legit height for him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I know he is listed at 6'5". So why is he always smaller against his opponent when they maybe listed at 6'4". I mean he looked smallish against Butler and didn't look any taller then Clark and we know Clark isn't close to 6'5". I will be interested what he measures at the combine. I say 6'21/2".

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."