Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

Default Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-new-bad-boys

I've always thought that the natural direction of the media would be: the Pacers are the new Pistons. This is interesting, because it will begin to lead people into wondering whether that recipe can win a title as they did.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

love it. I love to be the new Pistons. I have no problem with that. Bring it!

Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

The headline asks if we're the new Bad Boys. The answer is No.

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People think we play dirty? Interesting.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Oh s*** great, now Seth has more ammo to keep comparing this team to the Bad Boys Pistons

Mood

This is ridiculous, not dirty, and we don't even have anyone to lay the wood, don't really see many hard screens, you would have to think there is a better title out there for this group...
    Why so SERIOUS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The headline asks if we're the new Bad Boys. The answer is No.
    Yeah, I don't want the Pacers to be associated with that Will Smith / Martin Lawrence movie as well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

The Bad Boys only had Rodman, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars but other than that yeah we are similar....

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    People think we play dirty? Interesting.
    The pussification of the NBA continues, when hard play is now considered dirty.

I would like anyone who actually believes they "skirt" around being dirty to come up with a list of examples. I honestly cannot recall anything even semi "dirty." I don't equate hard fouls with dirty, not even close.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Umm ... Not.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The Pacers being labeled "The New Bad Boys" was more apt back when they were calling the Pacers that in '02-'03. Then, they were actually being coached by a Bad Boy and Ron-Ron was flagrant fouling so much that he was serving suspensions during the season for being over the flagrant foul limit.

Now? It doesn't really fit. Sure, the defense is good, but there are several good defensive teams in the league. Beyond that, the "Bad Boy" label doesn't fit this team at all.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

They would be the bad boys if they all had the mind of Lance. But then it at that point it would just look like an And1 mixtape.
    DG for 3

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The Bad Boys only had Rodman, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars but other than that yeah we are similar....
    You are tripping, Lambeer was one of the big keys
    Why so SERIOUS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Banned

I dont know how old you all are, but i'm 30 and i remember watching and following the Pistons that year, They werent a mean team. They were physical and they had a ton of swag, but they werent evil. They didnt go out and try to hurt everyone. I dont know how that perception came about, but they were good. Just damn good. And yes, they remind me of this years Pacers team. Gritty and got after it at the point that it annoyed every single team. I think Indy is on that pace for sure.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This is ridiculous, not dirty, and we don't even have anyone to lay the wood, don't really see many hard screens, you would have to think there is a better title out there for this group...
    Like...Smash Mouth?
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Very few players, let alone teams, can fall into that category currently. If you're talking about dirty, might as well start with Kevin "Honey Nut" Garnett.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Playing hard and together with a physical brand of basketball isn't bad boys.... its basketball as it should be played. I watch alot of NBA and its really noticeable how determined defensively this group is. They are mentally tough moreso than physically. They have a deep desire to not let the other team score and get pissed when they do. Really awesome!!

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I remember Kevin Love saying after a loss that the Pacers all must take these "tough guy pills". I just wish we could keep drafting these kind of guys. No surrender, no defeat. Get ahead and stomp in the throat mentality. LOVE IT.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Usually I'm not the kind to say I told to so, but.....

By the way, the bad boys weren't necessarily dirty, ether, aside from laimbeer and mahorn, and we lost mahorn after one year.

This is the identity that you're going to get, wether you want it or not. You play a defense first philosophy, in a small market, without a media superstar. It goes against conventional logic, so this is the conclusion that the masses will jump to.

Forgive the lameness of this, but if you're going to get a seat at the table, this is pretty much what you're going to have to get used to. You can either swim against the current, or put on the black hat and use it to your advantage.

The bad boys wen from also fans to a mini dynasty when isiah said "**** this, if you want us to be the bad guys, we'll show you bad guys." The pistons actually ordered custom made Detroit Raider merchandise, sponsored by Al Davis. Zeke was the first guy to discover a dirty little secret about the NBA. The bad guys can win.

I believe Reggie miller understood this as well, but his teams never really took that step with him to the dark side.

I guess my point is, the bad boys philosophy was never really about cheating or hurting people. They did very little of both, despite their reputation. It's about embracing being the party crashers, throwing the middle finger to the league, and being loved more locally by how much every other other place in the league resents you for not being typical.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

31. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah, I don't want the Pacers to be associated with that Will Smith / Martin Lawrence movie as well.
    Why not? It's a great movie!!
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Usually I'm not the kind to say I told to so, but.....

By the way, the bad boys weren't necessarily dirty, ether, aside from laimbeer and mahorn, and we lost mahorn after one year.

This is the identity that you're going to get, wether you want it or not. You play a defense first philosophy, in a small market, without a media superstar. It goes against conventional logic, so this is the conclusion that the masses will jump to.

Forgive the lameness of this, but if you're going to get a seat at the table, this is pretty much what you're going to have to get used to.
    Exactly.

There's a line in Nas' "Hate Me Now" that goes...

"People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer. I guess that's just the fury of man."

Pundits are going to "hate" on the Pacers because they can't explain why we're so good without having a SUPERSTAR. Our winning ways go against the grain in the current NBA. Let them hate!
    Grown Man Ball

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

^^ Love that 80s reggae, was jammin this in my head when I read the title.

Yea, I don't see the bad boy comparisons at all. I hope that doesn't stick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    ^^ Love that 80s reggae, was jammin this in my head when I read the title.

Yea, I don't see the bad boy comparisons at all. I hope that doesn't stick.
    Roster wise? Of course not.

As a philosophy? The pacers are trying to emulate what the pistons did. A least that's how Bird built this team.

I know this way of dong things. I grew up with it. I've spent most of my life with a front row seat for it. This team is unmistakably trending down that path. This is actually bird's second attempt, but I think he realized he needed more stable players to sustain it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Again, it is still getting me rubbing me wrong how all these pundits are seeing this- I do like the idea that Indiana is playing tough, because without a doubt they are. Talk about soft all you want but Roy throws as hard as screens as anybody in the league. So does West. Roy will go up agaisnt anyone and block the shot. Ask LBJ. And when Danny gets back that's one more hard nosed player who uses physicality as an asset. George Hill of course is probably the strongest PG in the league. The toughness of this team is certainly there.

But they keep saying they aren't talented. The pundit also pointed out the very TRUE statement that you pretty much need a top 5 offense to truly compete. I completely agree with that. Yet he somehow forgot to add the fact that this team is adding a 18ppg scorer by playoff start??? How is this not incredibly important?

Put it this way, Last year's number NINE offense just changed their spotup shooting guard for a 18ppg scorer. That doesn't maybe clue everyone in that this offense has the potential to be extremely potent during the playoffs? This is what NO pundit has mentioned. I agree all day long that if the Pacers don't score, they won't win. Zach Lowe said as much earlier. The problem is, everyone keeps acting like this isn't a possibility.

Or one more way to look at Indiana's offense by the start of the playoffs compared to last years Indiana team:

The PG position has improved. The shooting guard position has made a MASSIVE improvement. The SF is essentially the same. The PF has made a big improvement. The Center has regressed a LOT. The 6th man is a MASSIVE improvement. No one thinks this offense can become a top five offense? I DO.

Paul George already has all the skills and ability to be a 25ppg highly efficient scorer. He's not there yet. He's a 20ppg scorer. (yes, over the last 1/2). He's slowly learning, and it takes a season of learning all the different ways you can score. Experience is all it is. Which means come playoff time, Paul George simply won't be the same player he is RIGHT now. Paul George, tho the numbers won't necessarily support it yet without a fullseason behind him, by playoff time maybe be one of the 10 best players in the league. Easy. Easy.

George Hill is roughly the 10th best point in the league. Paul George is rapidly asserting himself as one of the best in the game. (again for all these guys saying we aren't quite talented enough). Danny Granger is still one of the best SF's in the league, healthy he's one of the 30 best in the league. David West is one of the 30 best in the league EASY. An underrated forward who is completely different from the guy he was last year. Roy Hibbert is a nightmare on offense, but he's one of the five best defensive centers in the league, in a time when defensive powerhouse centers abound.

Then their is Lance on the bench. Tyler, Ian. This team is extremely talented.

Or against the most talentd team in the NBA, a comparison:

Westbrook > Hill
    Martin < PG
    Durant > Granger (our worst matchup? We still have an allstar!!)
    Ibaka > West (Yes, West would destroy Ibaka, who's a great team defender, but gets abused by PF's who know how to score)
    Perkins < Roy

Lance > OKC's bench.

I disagree, but a smart NBA analyst could make the argument that Indiana is equal or more talented than OKC. It's not true, but it isn't crazy either. And OKC is the most talented team in the NBA.

Indiana does NOT lack talent. I don't buy that at all.

Can anyone name a playoff team in the NBA that will start four players on offense that can all beat you?? Anyone??
    Last edited by mattie; 02-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%