Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

  1. #1
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-new-bad-boys

    I've always thought that the natural direction of the media would be: the Pacers are the new Pistons. This is interesting, because it will begin to lead people into wondering whether that recipe can win a title as they did.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    love it. I love to be the new Pistons. I have no problem with that. Bring it!

  4. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    The headline asks if we're the new Bad Boys. The answer is No.

  5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    People think we play dirty? Interesting.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Oh s*** great, now Seth has more ammo to keep comparing this team to the Bad Boys Pistons

  9. #6
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    This is ridiculous, not dirty, and we don't even have anyone to lay the wood, don't really see many hard screens, you would have to think there is a better title out there for this group...
    Why so SERIOUS

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The headline asks if we're the new Bad Boys. The answer is No.
    Yeah, I don't want the Pacers to be associated with that Will Smith / Martin Lawrence movie as well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    The Bad Boys only had Rodman, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars but other than that yeah we are similar....

  14. #9
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People think we play dirty? Interesting.
    The pussification of the NBA continues, when hard play is now considered dirty.

    I would like anyone who actually believes they "skirt" around being dirty to come up with a list of examples. I honestly cannot recall anything even semi "dirty." I don't equate hard fouls with dirty, not even close.

  15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Umm ... Not.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  17. #11

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    The Pacers being labeled "The New Bad Boys" was more apt back when they were calling the Pacers that in '02-'03. Then, they were actually being coached by a Bad Boy and Ron-Ron was flagrant fouling so much that he was serving suspensions during the season for being over the flagrant foul limit.

    Now? It doesn't really fit. Sure, the defense is good, but there are several good defensive teams in the league. Beyond that, the "Bad Boy" label doesn't fit this team at all.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

  18. #12
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    They would be the bad boys if they all had the mind of Lance. But then it at that point it would just look like an And1 mixtape.
    DG for 3

  19. #13
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bad Boys only had Rodman, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars but other than that yeah we are similar....
    You are tripping, Lambeer was one of the big keys
    Why so SERIOUS

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]


  22. #15

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    I dont know how old you all are, but i'm 30 and i remember watching and following the Pistons that year, They werent a mean team. They were physical and they had a ton of swag, but they werent evil. They didnt go out and try to hurt everyone. I dont know how that perception came about, but they were good. Just damn good. And yes, they remind me of this years Pacers team. Gritty and got after it at the point that it annoyed every single team. I think Indy is on that pace for sure.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  24. #16

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous, not dirty, and we don't even have anyone to lay the wood, don't really see many hard screens, you would have to think there is a better title out there for this group...
    Like...Smash Mouth?
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  25. #17
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Very few players, let alone teams, can fall into that category currently. If you're talking about dirty, might as well start with Kevin "Honey Nut" Garnett.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Playing hard and together with a physical brand of basketball isn't bad boys.... its basketball as it should be played. I watch alot of NBA and its really noticeable how determined defensively this group is. They are mentally tough moreso than physically. They have a deep desire to not let the other team score and get pissed when they do. Really awesome!!

  28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    I remember Kevin Love saying after a loss that the Pacers all must take these "tough guy pills". I just wish we could keep drafting these kind of guys. No surrender, no defeat. Get ahead and stomp in the throat mentality. LOVE IT.

  30. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Usually I'm not the kind to say I told to so, but.....

    By the way, the bad boys weren't necessarily dirty, ether, aside from laimbeer and mahorn, and we lost mahorn after one year.

    This is the identity that you're going to get, wether you want it or not. You play a defense first philosophy, in a small market, without a media superstar. It goes against conventional logic, so this is the conclusion that the masses will jump to.

    Forgive the lameness of this, but if you're going to get a seat at the table, this is pretty much what you're going to have to get used to. You can either swim against the current, or put on the black hat and use it to your advantage.

    The bad boys wen from also fans to a mini dynasty when isiah said "**** this, if you want us to be the bad guys, we'll show you bad guys." The pistons actually ordered custom made Detroit Raider merchandise, sponsored by Al Davis. Zeke was the first guy to discover a dirty little secret about the NBA. The bad guys can win.

    I believe Reggie miller understood this as well, but his teams never really took that step with him to the dark side.

    I guess my point is, the bad boys philosophy was never really about cheating or hurting people. They did very little of both, despite their reputation. It's about embracing being the party crashers, throwing the middle finger to the league, and being loved more locally by how much every other other place in the league resents you for not being typical.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  31. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  32. #21
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    979

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I don't want the Pacers to be associated with that Will Smith / Martin Lawrence movie as well.
    Why not? It's a great movie!!
    Danger Zone

  33. #22
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usually I'm not the kind to say I told to so, but.....

    By the way, the bad boys weren't necessarily dirty, ether, aside from laimbeer and mahorn, and we lost mahorn after one year.

    This is the identity that you're going to get, wether you want it or not. You play a defense first philosophy, in a small market, without a media superstar. It goes against conventional logic, so this is the conclusion that the masses will jump to.

    Forgive the lameness of this, but if you're going to get a seat at the table, this is pretty much what you're going to have to get used to.
    Exactly.

    There's a line in Nas' "Hate Me Now" that goes...

    "People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer. I guess that's just the fury of man."

    Pundits are going to "hate" on the Pacers because they can't explain why we're so good without having a SUPERSTAR. Our winning ways go against the grain in the current NBA. Let them hate!
    Grown Man Ball

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  35. #23

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    ^^ Love that 80s reggae, was jammin this in my head when I read the title.

    Yea, I don't see the bad boy comparisons at all. I hope that doesn't stick.

  36. #24
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^^ Love that 80s reggae, was jammin this in my head when I read the title.

    Yea, I don't see the bad boy comparisons at all. I hope that doesn't stick.
    Roster wise? Of course not.

    As a philosophy? The pacers are trying to emulate what the pistons did. A least that's how Bird built this team.

    I know this way of dong things. I grew up with it. I've spent most of my life with a front row seat for it. This team is unmistakably trending down that path. This is actually bird's second attempt, but I think he realized he needed more stable players to sustain it.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Oh man, we are getting our media identity: "The New Bad Boys" [ESPN]

    Again, it is still getting me rubbing me wrong how all these pundits are seeing this- I do like the idea that Indiana is playing tough, because without a doubt they are. Talk about soft all you want but Roy throws as hard as screens as anybody in the league. So does West. Roy will go up agaisnt anyone and block the shot. Ask LBJ. And when Danny gets back that's one more hard nosed player who uses physicality as an asset. George Hill of course is probably the strongest PG in the league. The toughness of this team is certainly there.

    But they keep saying they aren't talented. The pundit also pointed out the very TRUE statement that you pretty much need a top 5 offense to truly compete. I completely agree with that. Yet he somehow forgot to add the fact that this team is adding a 18ppg scorer by playoff start??? How is this not incredibly important?

    Put it this way, Last year's number NINE offense just changed their spotup shooting guard for a 18ppg scorer. That doesn't maybe clue everyone in that this offense has the potential to be extremely potent during the playoffs? This is what NO pundit has mentioned. I agree all day long that if the Pacers don't score, they won't win. Zach Lowe said as much earlier. The problem is, everyone keeps acting like this isn't a possibility.

    Or one more way to look at Indiana's offense by the start of the playoffs compared to last years Indiana team:

    The PG position has improved. The shooting guard position has made a MASSIVE improvement. The SF is essentially the same. The PF has made a big improvement. The Center has regressed a LOT. The 6th man is a MASSIVE improvement. No one thinks this offense can become a top five offense? I DO.

    Paul George already has all the skills and ability to be a 25ppg highly efficient scorer. He's not there yet. He's a 20ppg scorer. (yes, over the last 1/2). He's slowly learning, and it takes a season of learning all the different ways you can score. Experience is all it is. Which means come playoff time, Paul George simply won't be the same player he is RIGHT now. Paul George, tho the numbers won't necessarily support it yet without a fullseason behind him, by playoff time maybe be one of the 10 best players in the league. Easy. Easy.

    George Hill is roughly the 10th best point in the league. Paul George is rapidly asserting himself as one of the best in the game. (again for all these guys saying we aren't quite talented enough). Danny Granger is still one of the best SF's in the league, healthy he's one of the 30 best in the league. David West is one of the 30 best in the league EASY. An underrated forward who is completely different from the guy he was last year. Roy Hibbert is a nightmare on offense, but he's one of the five best defensive centers in the league, in a time when defensive powerhouse centers abound.

    Then their is Lance on the bench. Tyler, Ian. This team is extremely talented.

    Or against the most talentd team in the NBA, a comparison:

    Westbrook > Hill
    Martin < PG
    Durant > Granger (our worst matchup? We still have an allstar!!)
    Ibaka > West (Yes, West would destroy Ibaka, who's a great team defender, but gets abused by PF's who know how to score)
    Perkins < Roy

    Lance > OKC's bench.

    I disagree, but a smart NBA analyst could make the argument that Indiana is equal or more talented than OKC. It's not true, but it isn't crazy either. And OKC is the most talented team in the NBA.

    Indiana does NOT lack talent. I don't buy that at all.

    Can anyone name a playoff team in the NBA that will start four players on offense that can all beat you?? Anyone??
    Last edited by mattie; 02-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •