Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

Default Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

I have always been a Pacer Fan. The key to building a great team is drafting great players. I think if Victor comes out for the draft, the pacers have to go after him. What are everyone's thoughts on where he would fit in, and/or what would need to get trade to move up in the draft. I don't think he will be there when we draft this year. I want him on our team. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by SouthernIndianaFan; 02-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have always been a Pacer Fan. The key to building a great team is drafting great players. I think if Victor comes out for the draft, the pacers have to go after him. What are everyone's thoughts on where he would fit in, and/or what would need to get trade to move up in the draft. I don't think he will be there when we draft tis year. I want him on our team. What are your thoughts?
    We don't have the assets to trade up high enough to get him without trading a key player. Don't fall in love with players but value and Victor is a hell of a player but he isnt in our wheel range value wise.

I love Victor as a player but no way he will be wearing BnG come draft day IMO

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the sad thing is I think he'd work well in Vogels system, but I doubt he'll drop out of the lottery if he keeps playing like this.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:

Can Victor play/develop into a 1 in the league?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    We don't have the assets to trade up high enough to get him without trading a key player. Don't fall in love with players but value and Victor is a hell of a player but he isnt in our wheel range value wise.

I love Victor as a player but no way he will be wearing BnG come draft day IMO
    Exactly, I don't even know why these threads exist. There's way too many other options that are realistically in the Pacers future. Discussion of picks 15-35, sure. Then you have a DG trade or trade-up, or just picking in your own spot. There is ALWAYS an NBA players available in the mid-20s.

And as far as stars go, we already have Paul George. If this is a future where West or Danny are resigned (but not both) then you have 2 with a chance for Roy to be 3 again and Hill just off pace with the top 2. We are covered on big guns. The next few drafts need to either be long term like Bender/Harrington or specialty players to fill out the roster supporting the big 4-5 (Lance or DG or West, some combo of 5 for sure, w/ 3, 24, 55).

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Actually, this is the guy you might consider targeting if you're going to move Danny this offseason - getting into position to draft Victor who might grow into an excellent wingmate to Paul, and whose primary position would be as guard, not forward.

Drafting another SF wasn't the "safe" move in 2010 when the Pacers already had Danny Granger. But if you get a chance for that kind of talent or to move up reasonably for that kind of talent... and who knows how future negotiations will go with Paul... can't just assume he'll always want to be with the Pacers or that he'll always be healthy.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Victor has already moved himself up to number 15 on Ford's big board. He is probably going to only keep going higher.

As far as him being a 1 in the league, maybe in spot minutes, but he is a prototype 2 in the NBA IMO. Great wing span, spectacular quickness, and a great first step.

Vic will be a great NBA player IMO, he has a fantastic work ethic, however it is unlikely it's going to be for the Pacers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    Not Unless his ball handling drasticy improves. He's very good with his right hand but he is still an almost complete liability with his left. He can go left off a screen and get to the rim with two dribbles but if he needs to change direction you'll see a lot of bad results.

And honestly I don't know what his court vision is like or even how it would translate to the Association.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Actually, this is the guy you might consider targeting if you're going to move Danny this offseason - getting into position to draft Victor who might grow into an excellent wingmate to Paul, and whose primary position would be as guard, not a forward.
    I actually really like this idea, especially if we can get a good rotation player for the bench with a mid first. However, I'm always afraid I'm too high on IU players just because of my fan side.

~Ahmad Rashad~

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    I actually really like this idea, especially if we can get a good rotation player for the bench with a mid first. However, I'm always afraid I'm too high on IU players just because of my fan side.

I'm usually not. I was not in the "we want Steve" crowd. I've wanted the Pacers to draft a whopping total of two IU players over the years - Wittman and Cheaney. Sadly, they did get Wittman at the end of his career. Oh, I would have liked Zeke, too, but clearly he wasn't going to be available to the blue and gold.

I continue to be skeptical of footspeed for IU players. Being quick enough to play big time DI hoops just isn't the same. I love watching Sheehey play, too, but I don't see his game translating to the next level.

I don't have that concern about Olidipo any more.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Some mocks I have seen still have him going late first round/early 2nd round, draftnet's mock has him at pick 32 was updated 5 days ago, DraftExpress has him going pick 21 to THE PACERS in there most recent mock. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that he falls to Indiana even if they don't move up in the draft this season. Now onto how I think he will fair as an NBA prospect, I think he will make a very good pro. He is just an incredibly active defender and plays passing lanes probably better than anyone in college basketball right now. For a team like the Pacers who have shown they are a great defensive team, but still lack in creating turnovers he could be an excellent fit. When you struggle to score points in your half court sets like Indiana has during some stretches this season, getting a player that is a pure disruptor and turnover creator on defense seems like a positive. And his growth offensively from when he first got to Indiana to now is remarkable, he has developed a consistent jump shot he has developed a great off the dribble game, he has learned to better utilize his athleticism on the offensive side better. I see him having a successful NBA career and think he'd be a steal if he fell to the Pacers at the end of round 1.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember one year I wanted us so badly to draft Hibbert and Rush in the draft, I mean you know the odds of getting the players you like is slim, but DAMN that day was exciting for me. I'd love to see Victor here should he drop in the draft, he is the kind of 2 guard I'd love to have playing for Vogel.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Next few drafts need to be long term? Think long term like Bender/Harrington? I might be new to the forum, but I come on, I know Pacer player history. Nap town must be thinking we draft the other Plumlee and call it a day. Anyhow, I think we draft a rising star when we get a shot. He sure knows how to play D. Seems like that and the guys motor and work effort should make him our target.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    He can certainly defend the position. With GH being able to also defend some bigger 2's this would conceivably gives the Pacers a lot of flexibility especially with covering guys like a Derrick Rose.

If DG gets moved and picks are coming back I wouldn't hate them targeting a guy like Oladipo. I say completely own the ultra gritty, defense comes first, everbody rebounds there position well mentality and wear down teams by winning the possesion battle big every night.

Sorry about that last post, didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I'm just so aggravated when the Pacers draft a guy like Plumlee, and now we might just have a chance a player that I think could be special. I've watched Ben Mclemore out of Kansas, and if I'm choosing between the two, I'm taking Vic. Think of how we can use him and his defense!

In my opinion he would be perfect playing next to Lance off the bench, or an extremely 6th man if we decided to move on from Granger. I do hope he drops to us in the draft, but every game he plays it seems less and less likely without a trade, which as others have said probably wouldn't be good value.

I would love it, but echo what others have said: he's going to be long gone before we are drafting. Like Mr. Hinds, I'm always a little leery of my love for IU players in the NBA, but I'm completely sold on Oladipo. In my memory, since maturing, he's the Hoosier I've wanted on the Pacers more than any other--save for maybe Eric Gordon (before he proved he can't stay healthy). I was never huge on Kirk Haston's NBA future or Jared Jeffries. I do like Zeller, but I don't think I would take him where he is projected to be picked. To me, he screams rotation big man, not a star.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Even I want Oladipo. Him playing next to PG would freaking terrify opponents.

Vic is going to be an elite defender. Think Artest w/o the baggage.

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Pacers could move up enough to get him. And if they can, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Vic is going to be an elite defender. Think Artest w/o the baggage.

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Pacers could move up enough to get him. And if they can, they should.
    He's a smart player, too. It's not that his shooting has improved as much as his decision making this year--as in, when to take good shots and when to make the pass. Offensively, I think he will struggle his first year or two in the NBA until he gets comfortable and figures out the game. I have no doubt that he will because he is an incredible worker.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Out of curiosity, does anybody know Vic's wingspan? I know he's about 6'5, but he's got have have some reach, right? That pass from Hulls was about 4 feet behind him.

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anybody know Vic's wingspan? I know he's about 6'5, but he's got have have some reach, right? That pass from Hulls was about 4 feet behind him.
    It's not been done. He wasnt a high level guy so I'm not sure if he has been to the skills camps where the elite level prospects get their wingspan and what not tested. Draft express just did a video on him today and it was listed N/A

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...r-Oladipo-4075

33. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Pacers will probably draft a PG this year to be George Hill's back up or eventual replacement.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Pacers will probably draft a PG this year to be George Hill's back up or eventual replacement.
    Where the Pacers will likely be drafting, they will be going for BPA.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Where the Pacers will likely be drafting, they will be going for BPA.
    Mile Plumlee was not BPA.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post: