Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Houston intrested in Granger

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Houston intrested in Granger

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ariza right now is not even a bench player the guy has been horrible, not only that but he makes 6.7 mil, Parsons right now is hands down better than Ariza.
    Ariza has been good this year. DC's problem has been no JWall or decent PG to run their sets. The Wiz have a nice wing rotation of Beal/Ariza/J Crawford/Webster with spot minutes from Singleton.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post

So you trade a good solid steak just to get back an old pu pu platter that has 1 decent piece of shrimp in it?

So what was Granger averaging half way thru his 2nd year?

All I'll say is if the shoe was on the other foot and Parsons was a Pacer, few would be interested in trading for an almost 30 yo injured player at 13 & 14 mil. Personally, I'm trying to figure out why Houston would be interested in letting Parsons go with a bright future. My guess is that Parsons isn't in any possible trade scenario that Houston might have.

If Parsons was in a possible deal for Granger, then Walsh better jump on it b4 Houston has 2nd thoughts. He had better be skipping and whisling while walking away with a signed deal in his hand. Parsons is more than some little piece of shrimp. As a Pacer, he'd be a future core player on a young team for many a year to come.

Hibbert
    PG
    Hill
    Stephenson
    Parsons

With DWest ,this would be a nice team for years. Not to mention, probably picking up a couple young players to strengthen the bench too.

Personally, I think this trade is nothing more than a rumor, and will never happen. I don't see Houston giving up Parsons, plus other young players, and a TE. Just don't see it happening.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Seems like almost everybody on here has forgotten the 2012 Playoffs Danny Granger?! His defense has been terrific. He's still our captain and he'll be back. We're gonna need him.
    No need to trade him - at least not in these scary trade scenarios I've seen here.
    Thank you Jeff.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Ariza has been good this year. DC's problem has been no JWall or decent PG to run their sets. The Wiz have a nice wing rotation of Beal/Ariza/J Crawford/Webster with spot minutes from Singleton.
    Not sure if serious......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I am Kevin Pritchard, I don't even get out of bed to answer a phone call from the Rockets unless the first words out of their mouths include 1 of the following:

1) Harden (Not happening)
    2) Asik (Not happening)
    3) Parsons

In the scenario #3 above, if the NEXT words out of their mouths include any of the following, I hang up the phone and go back to bed, laughing:

1) George
    2) Granger
    3) West
    4) Hibbert
    5) Hill
    6) Stephenson

So, if they feel like trading Parsons for a package including Gerald Green, Tyler Hansbrough and perhaps OJ... Great.

TLDR: LOL!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

If they wanted to get a 3rd team involved. Something like this would work (although I don't condone it)...

Houston gets their man, Granger. Washington gets out of the final 2 years of Ariza's deal, and also get an expiring deal (Aldrich). Pacers get back a defensive stopper, and a scoring punch for the bench in Douglas.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quick comparison for argument's sake from Hollinger...

Danny Granger

Scouting report
    + Deep-shooting forward with a quick, accurate trigger. Very big for a wing.
    + Very effective going right but has a weak left hand. Draws fouls, money from the line.
    + Solid defender with good size. Limited court vision -- drives to score.

Analysis
    Granger's game isn't always easy on the eyes, iso-ing for 20-footers or pretending he's running a pick-and-roll for something other than his own jump shot, but it is effective. He generated a slew of shots with very few turnovers -- cutting his rate sharply from a season earlier -- and his TS% was well above the norm for a small forward.

Break it down and it was mostly the 3s that did it -- he shot 38.1 percent from distance, but hit only 43.4 percent of his 2s. However, he drew a lot of fouls for a jump shooter and shot 87.3 percent, the best mark of any small forward; between that and the 3s, it offset his subpar shooting inside the arc. In particular, contested long 2s have been a problem for him. He shot only 36.3 percent on 2s beyond 10 feet last season, after hitting 35.0 percent the season before.

As for passing, Granger didn't really do that much -- only 11 small forwards assisted less often -- and that's the biggest limitation on his game. On the flip side, however, he'd also benefit from a more natural point guard running things and getting him cleaner looks at jumpers, rather than forcing him to iso so much.

Defensively, I thought Granger was one of the league's most improved players. His effort was much more consistent than a season earlier, and all his statistical grades were positive. The Pacers gave up 3.6 points per 100 possessions fewer with him on the court and he allowed only a 12.7 PER to opposing small forwards, according to 82games.com. Notably, Indiana also put him in size mismatches less because it hardly ever played small with him at the 4.

Chandler Parsons

Scouting report
    + Second-year forward who has great size and athleticism for his position.
    + Average shooter from the floor, terrible from the line. Good handle, likes to go left.
    + Solid defender with great hands, but needs to add strength and game awareness.

Analysis
    Houston's second-round dice roll on Parsons paid off, as he beat out its first-round pick to take over the starting small forward spot and contributed a highlight reel of follow jams. While he might want to rein himself in a bit on flying in for tip-dunks -- it looks great when it works, but starts a 4-on-3 the other way when it doesn't -- he showed himself to be an NBA-caliber athlete with size and ball skills.

Now he needs to work on the shooting. Parsons is barely passable from outside (33.7 percent on 3s, 35.8 percent on long 2s) and positively hideous from the free-throw line, where his 55.1 percent mark included at least one that was banked in by accident. He rarely draws fouls, perhaps in hopes of avoiding the stripe, but he needs to up that part of his game too.

Defensively, he needs to add strength, but one can see him as a stopper against big wings down the road. He has great hands and athleticism and, even as a rookie, his defensive stats were solid -- Houston was slightly better than break-even with him on the floor and Synergy gave him solid grades too. Also, he is big enough that he can play smallball 4, and often did.

It's still not clear if all this adds up to a long-term starter, but for a second-rounder he was a nice find who should be a rotation player for several years.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I wouldnt take anyone from Houston for Granger. I know a lot of people would mention Harden, but IMO I think Harden would put a damper with the chemistry we currently have. We have no selfish players on offense - Harden would ruin that.

Even with Granger back, he has a good post game (for a SF) and is an excellent shooter.

I would turn down anything Houston would offer (obviously within reason)
    You wouldn't take Harden for Granger?

Last edited by QuickRelease; 02-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Royce White has negative trade value. I wouldn't trade Gerald Green for him.
    You underestimate GG's negative trade value.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry, but I cannot take any of this seriously. The propositions on this forum are unrealistic for the Rockets and the Pacers. The two teams are not fit for one another.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I disagree. But that's me.
    The only thing with White is that you would really have to be seriously committed to the non-basketball issues. The talent is there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

So, if they feel like trading Parsons for a package including Gerald Green, Tyler Hansbrough and perhaps OJ... Great.

Parsons for your poo poo platter! Pacer homerism at it's finest. LOL!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I still want to see what we can do with Granger in the line-up and if it doesn't work look to move him in off-season. I still wouldn't mind a pass-first PG and then allowing Hill to be what he is as a Jason Terry type scorer off the bench.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to festar35 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I'd listen to any offer that included Parsons. He's young, cheap, and talented. He's not yet a "name" player, which is probably why many here would object to the deal, but he looks to be well on his way.

Parsons, a pick, and expiring contracts would be a nice coupe, in my humble opinion.

Danny Granger

Scouting report
    + Very effective going right but has a weak left hand. Draws fouls, money from the line.

Analysis
    Granger's game isn't always easy on the eyes, iso-ing for 20-footers or pretending he's running a pick-and-roll for something other than his own jump shot, but it is effective. He generated a slew of shots with very few turnovers -- cutting his rate sharply from a season earlier -- and his TS% was well above the norm for a small forward.

Break it down and it was mostly the 3s that did it -- he shot 38.1 percent from distance, but hit only 43.4 percent of his 2s. However, he drew a lot of fouls for a jump shooter and shot 87.3 percent, the best mark of any small forward; between that and the 3s, it offset his subpar shooting inside the arc. In particular, contested long 2s have been a problem for him. He shot only 36.3 percent on 2s beyond 10 feet last season, after hitting 35.0 percent the season before.

As for passing, Granger didn't really do that much -- only 11 small forwards assisted less often -- and that's the biggest limitation on his game. On the flip side, however, he'd also benefit from a more natural point guard running things and getting him cleaner looks at jumpers, rather than forcing him to iso so much.

Defensively, I thought Granger was one of the league's most improved players. His effort was much more consistent than a season earlier, and all his statistical grades were positive. The Pacers gave up 3.6 points per 100 possessions fewer with him on the court and he allowed only a 12.7 PER to opposing small forwards, according to 82games.com. Notably, Indiana also put him in size mismatches less because it hardly ever played small with him at the 4.

Chandler Parsons

Scouting report
    + Average shooter from the floor, terrible from the line. Good handle, likes to go left.
    + Solid defender with great hands, but needs to add strength and game awareness.

Analysis
    Houston's second-round dice roll on Parsons paid off, as he beat out its first-round pick to take over the starting small forward spot and contributed a highlight reel of follow jams. While he might want to rein himself in a bit on flying in for tip-dunks -- it looks great when it works, but starts a 4-on-3 the other way when it doesn't -- he showed himself to be an NBA-caliber athlete with size and ball skills.

Now he needs to work on the shooting. Parsons is barely passable from outside (33.7 percent on 3s, 35.8 percent on long 2s) and positively hideous from the free-throw line, where his 55.1 percent mark included at least one that was banked in by accident. He rarely draws fouls, perhaps in hopes of avoiding the stripe, but he needs to up that part of his game too.

Defensively, he needs to add strength, but one can see him as a stopper against big wings down the road. He has great hands and athleticism and, even as a rookie, his defensive stats were solid -- Houston was slightly better than break-even with him on the floor and Synergy gave him solid grades too. Also, he is big enough that he can play smallball 4, and often did.

It's still not clear if all this adds up to a long-term starter, but for a second-rounder he was a nice find who should be a rotation player for several years.

Sorry, you are trying to compare a 8 year vet to a player who has played a little over 100 games. I would hope to shout Granger should be better at this stage of his career. Why not compare Granger at the same stage of his career as Parsons is now? This is more fair and equitable, more apples to apples. Lets see that comparison, then there can be discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    If I am Kevin Pritchard, I don't even get out of bed to answer a phone call from the Rockets unless the first words out of their mouths include 1 of the following:

1) Harden (Not happening)
    2) Asik (Not happening)
    3) Parsons

In the scenario #3 above, if the NEXT words out of their mouths include any of the following, I hang up the phone and go back to bed, laughing:

1) George
    2) Granger
    3) West
    4) Hibbert
    5) Hill
    6) Stephenson

You were the one who said you wouldn't trade Paul George for Lebron so...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I know this is how people generally think, but you cannot give up ****** players and get good players in return. Sometimes you have to take chances. Also, everyone tends to overvalue there players and undervalue other teams. It just doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Sorry, you are trying to compare a 8 year vet to a player who has played a little over 100 games. I would hope to shout Granger should be better at this stage of his career. Why not compare Granger at the same stage of his career as Parsons is now? This is more fair and equitable, more apples to apples. Lets see that comparison, then there can be discussions.
    I'm comparing what is, to what is. For all the "potential" Parsons may have, he might also be as good as he's going to get. I don't get why everyone is so quick to trade a proven commodity who is merely 29 years old, for a guy with potential to eventually, maybe one day, be what Granger is now. Yes Granger makes more money, but we're not exactly strapped for cash right now, so we don't HAVE TO shed salary just so we can get a player that MIGHT be as good as Granger someday.
    Grown Man Ball

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I read this earlier. I doubt they are making exploratory calls. They need Granger's offense, and who fits better than he does? No doubt they are listening though.

and who fits better than he does? Exactly!!
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Gosh, I know I'm the resident Granger apologist but those trades are horrific. Why are we inventing scenarios where we trade our team captain for Trevor Ariza?

I'm looking at this the other way. Houston clearly feels that a backcourt of Lin/Harden/Granger would be productive. So why don't we think that Hill/George/Granger would work?
    Jeesh. Man what the hell is wrong with you? The last damn thing we want here is to think reasonably. I mean the topic is Granger. You absolutely gotta get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Parsons for your poo poo platter! Pacer homerism at it's finest. LOL!

Ok.

Let me get this straight.

So we're going to bust up our starting core for a unproven young guy in Parsons?

HOW is this a good idea? This team was built together and have grown into an extremely good core.

Lance being #1 off the bench upon Danny's return is also not something I want to tinker with.

I like Parsons. I like the idea of him as a Pacer.

But NOT if it requires us getting rid of any of our front 6.

Sorry, it's just not a good fit.

That's not me being a homer. That's me watching basketball games and realizing our starting crew and first off the bench is a damn good team.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    You were the one who said you wouldn't trade Paul George for Lebron so...

For the record, I am not saying that I think Houston WOULD or SHOULD trade us for our "poo poo platter"

What I AM saying is that I am not trading ANY of those 6 guys to acquire him.

And yes, I still take PG over LeBron. And no, I don't feel like defending my decision to people who don't care about team dynamic and players attitudes.

PS: Our 2-0 record vs Miami and PG's incredible games vs. LeBron don't make it look so crazy, either.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Danny Granger

Scouting report

Analysis

Chandler Parsons

Scouting report

Analysis

Parsons shooting was the main reason I didnt like him in the draft process. He didn't show as much handle in college as he has. I think that was due to playing with so many ball dominate guards and the offense Billy ran. I liked the way he rebounded and his mid post game but other than that wasn't a big fan at all. He fooled me in college I though his shooting made him a fringe NBA player. I still don't like his shot mechanics and think he will probably only be an average shooter, but he is so skilled in other areas not a big issue. Very skilled SF in the NBA.

I remember me and RobertMTO debating him and MTO was spot on about the guy.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    And I want no part of Royce White I didn't like him as a basketball player. With that said it has nothing to do with basketball why I wouldn't touch him. I do think White was so overrated in the draft process people saying he was a top 5 talent was LOL IMO a tweanner who cant guard and has a broken jump shot isn't top 5 material. If one thing good came out of this suspension his jumper should be much improved because he has had all day to fix it but he spends half of his day on twitter so maybe it isn't
    I believe Royce admitted to playing basketball only once or twice during the entire suspension in the Klostermann article.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

I am pretty sure that Houston has more cap space then what Trade Machine is showing. Houston waive several non-guaranteed contracts. I think they are about 41mil, so they have about 17 mil to absorb. They could take on Danny's entire salary right now with no outgoing.

I'm trying to find out on which of the waived players was on a non-guaranteed contract vs a guaranteed contract. If somebody knows or finds this info, please post. I have found that Shamsports and Hoopshype doesn't seem to be correct. For example, Cook was on a non-guarantee and was waived. No team picked him up off the wire, then Bulls signed him to a minimum deal. Hoopshype doesn't show a salary for Cook and Shamsports shows the full original contract in black, yet it was a non-guarantee from several other sources that I have found.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-04-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."