Thread: How not to talk to a judge (youtube video; ADIOS judge)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How not to talk to a judge (youtube video; ADIOS judge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVWJNNzmWw

I was kind of confused why the judge had trouble with the word bars, but my lord this girl is stupid. Best reaction was when everyone got shocked that bond was raised.

Default Re: How not to talk to a judge (youtube video; ADIOS judge)

You'd think she'd have learned from the juror who tried to act a racist to get out of jury duty:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2KB9SaF3J
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVWJNNzmWw

I was kind of confused why the judge had trouble with the word bars, but my lord this girl is stupid. Best reaction was when everyone got shocked that bond was raised.
    I guess I'm stupid... He said "bye bye" and she said "adios"... What was the problem??
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    You'd think she'd have learned from the juror who tried to act a racist to get out of jury duty:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2KB9SaF3J
    Hmmmm Can't say I'm too thrilled with the judge in this case either. The woman reported for jury duty. She filled out the questionnaire. She's clearly not juror material. Save the power trip and theatrics and just get her out of the courtroom. I'd be fine seeing the ACLU take up her case.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

When i was younger I would have agreed with you and said he was on a power trip. However, lets look at two things:

1. This chick refused to take the hearing seriously and kept laughing and joking about how much jewelry she had.

2. She was high as a kite.

I have no problem with his response, and Im going to go out on a limb and say this wont be the first time shell be in front of a jude

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Hmmmm Can't say I'm too thrilled with the judge in this case either. The woman reported for jury duty. She filled out the questionnaire. She's clearly not juror material. Save the power trip and theatrics and just get her out of the courtroom. I'd be fine seeing the ACLU take up her case.
    Disagree again. I litetally have heard people brag about the crazy stuff they have done to get out of hury duty.

the irony IMO is I would kill to miss a daynof work and grt jury duty. But then again im a legal nerd

Sports Logo

Good thing flipping the bird is such a detriment to society that it deserves a month in county instead of wasting a bed that could be occupied by a serious criminal that's maybe worth the taxpayer expense. Really good that the judge is interested in punishment instead of actual rehabilitation too.

Wait...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

When i was younger I would have agreed with you and said he was on a power trip. However, lets look at two things:

1. This chick refused to take the hearing seriously and kept laughing and joking about how much jewelry she had.

I have no problem with his response, and Im going to go out on a limb and say this wont be the first time shell be in front of a jude
    Here's why I have a problem with it:
    The judge could've feigned anger and ordered her to straighten up and take the hearing seriously or face trouble. At one point he did tell her, albeit nicely, he wasn't joking and asked about her laughing at the jewelry response. BUT he didn't give her a quick lecture about the seriousness of the hearing or the decorum he expected in his courtroom. In fact, he seemed to enjoy the little exchange if anything. Then he says "bye bye" (which implied to me he was fine with the tone of the proceedings). So she says "Adios". I don't even see the problem at that point. Did he take that as a veiled slam at his ethnicity? I didn't hear it that way... and maybe it was... Or maybe it was just a frivolous reply to his frivolous 'bye bye'.

Then to double her bail?

Give her a freaking lecture if he feels she disrespected his 'authoritay'. Warn her. Then move on. His problem IMHO is IF he's going to be a hardass about courtroom decorum it should've started from the beginning. It didn't. So IMHO HE SAT THE TONE. Don't expect Perry Mason if you're going to be Judge Harry for most of the proceeding.

Now once we're past that incident she flipped him off and now all bets are off. I don't blame her for flipping him off and 30 days might've been worth it... But the jails shouldn't have money to feed and house someone for 30 days just because the judge thinks he was disrespected either. But like I said... all bets are off at that point. The judge HAS to react to the bird (I'm just not keen on the 30 days). OTOH, it never should've gotten to that point. It was the judge's fault it did and I don't blame the girl for being pissed. My answer to all this would be the judge getting a mark on his record and 30 days unpaid and off the bench (the amount of time he ordered the girl incarcerated).

------

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Disagree again. I litetally have heard people brag about the crazy stuff they have done to get out of hury duty.

the irony IMO is I would kill to miss a daynof work and grt jury duty. But then again im a legal nerd
    She showed up. She filled out the questionnaire. She didn't just turn it in blank with doodles on it. Her answers might've not thrilled the judge, but her answers clearly indicated she's not jury material. So don't waste anymore of her time, the court's time, defendant's time, lawyer's time, etc... trying to make some power trip point.

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I need to make a Jude Law joke here

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Good thing flipping the bird is such a detriment to society that it deserves a month in county instead of wasting a bed that could be occupied by a serious criminal that's maybe worth the taxpayer expense. Really good that the judge is interested in punishment instead of actual rehabilitation too.

Wait...
    update: she sobered up, she apologized, and the sentence was suspended. She's getting drug detox
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

She got a lawyer... If she would have had a lawyer all along she wouldn't have been speaking so much in the first place to get herself in trouble. ...nor would the judge have been so likely to test the bounds of his authority.

He used the bail as a punitive action, which should not occur. Now, he'll say her 'disrespect' made him rethink her returning to the courtroom so he raised the bail. But the fact is, he raised the bail as a punitive measure and we all can see that.

I'm still not convinced there was anything wrong with the girl's "adios" and whether she meant it with any disrespect. It was a frivolous reply for sure... but then so was the judge's "bye bye". He had ample time to admonish her and tighten the procedure and instead he played along like Judge Harry. Then after he frivolously himself says "bye bye" he gets pissed when she says "Adios"? And it's at that point he raises the bail. Which in my mind is clearly done as punishment.

Some news reports about this incident start it with her giving him the bird. But that doesn't happen if he doesn't bring her back after the "adios" and raise her bail in a show of his :cartman: "authoritay"

------

-John Wooden

I still completely disagree with you. A girl who was stoned out of her mind and disrespected a judge thought she was funny by talking back to a judge. She got burned for being an *******. She learned her lesson. I bet next time she will either avoid jail or she will act like an adult and not be a smart Alec with the judge.

PS I don't disagree with you saying the judge was abusing his power a bit. However I would be quite pissed as well if A young child was treating The hearing like it was a joke. She thought it was all fun and games. Well life's not always fair but you should know better then to talk back to a judge.

Only words outta my mouth in court are yes air and no sir.

I still completely disagree with you. A girl who was stoned out of her mind and disrespected a judge thought she was funny by talking back to a judge. She got burned for being an *******. She learned her lesson. I bet next time she will either avoid jail or she will act like an adult and not be a smart Alec with the judge.

PS I don't disagree with you saying the judge was abusing his power a bit. However I would be quite pissed as well if A young child was treating The hearing like it was a joke. She thought it was all fun and games. Well life's not always fair but you should know better then to talk back to a judge.

Only words outta my mouth in court are yes air and no sir.
    I'd agree with you if within the first 30-60 seconds he would have admonished her and put her in her place with a finger waving diatribe about growing up and taking this serious 'or else he'll find her in contempt of court'. Instead, he allowed the tone to be light and then he was frivolous himself with his 'bye bye'. He cannot have it both ways.

I have zero respect for this judge due to the way he handled this.

His 'bye bye' wasn't exactly the height of courtroom decorum itself. If his 'bye bye' is OK then her 'adios' is OK.

------

-John Wooden

Just another example of our legal system high on power. Where Judge and Prosecution are in league of their own and you as a defendant are treated like a convict before the Jury of your Peers. Who are then asked to view in you in an unbiased light.

Where one can be declared a criminal by the upset sensibilities of a man in a robe.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Abusing his power? Yes

Declared a criminal? I would say showing up to court high as a kite is a good way to self decalre yourself a convict, no judgement needed by anyone with a J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    you as a defendant are treated like a convict
    You as a defendant should be treated like a convict if you show up in court completely high/drunk/stoned out of your mind. IMO she deserved what she got. Could the judge have handled it better? Sure. But she is not in any position to carry and attitude like that around and expect to not suffer the consequences.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When a judge acts like he wants to be on TV, it's not surprising the rest of the people in his courtroom behave like it as well.

Thinking judges can act like that is part of the reason why our judicial system is in the pooper. We need to start holding our authority figures at a higher standard than Judge Judy.

I have no problem with giving her high bail, or jail time. I have a problem with the judge creating the environment, and then getting offended when someone takes advantage of it. Be professional. Not like it's a high bar to jump over.

EDIT: I expect someone in front of a judge to behave like a dumbass. I don't expect a judge to behave like one. Or atleast shouldn't.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I spend a lot of time testifying in courtrooms due to my career - on the side of science - not the prosecution OR the defense. Don't disrespect the judge and the court. Ever. Period. End of Story.

Sure the judge could have reacted better, but in my opinion, she deserved whatever he gave her.
    Last edited by Stryder; 02-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Happy ending...

apology, 5 days in jail, rehab, passing drug tests

http://www.aol.com/video/girl-who-fl...6pLid%3D275852