Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the NBA can't keep up with the NFL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I would enjoy the NBA so much more if the regular season was more meaningful. There is no mystique to making the playoffs. How often is there a really "important" regular season game? Why is it you never hear the term "playoff implications" like you do with MLB and the NFL?

This will never happen, but I would love to see the NBA adopt MLB's new playoff system. The top 3 teams make the playoffs, and the #4 and #5 seeds have a one-game playoff for the rights to advance. You would see far-less superstars sitting late in the season then. Remember how the Celtics were criticized for this late last year?
    The MLB has 162 games. The NBA has 82. That point doesn't make sense.
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why the NBA can't keep up with the NFL.

Yeah, but isn't also true that the NBA has had something like 7 different champions in the last 28 years? It's something close to that, anyway.
    The NFL has the perception of parity, I won't argue that. And perception is reality.

Unfortunately, the numbers don't back it up. I'd argue that if you've made the conference finals in your sport, you have a real chance at the championship. I took a look at all 4 major sports in the last 10 years awhile back, and all 4 sports had approximately the same amount of teams make the final 4 of their leagues at least once.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    exactly, in the NFL you can basically predict baring injuries who the final 4 teams will be competing for the superbowl.
    eh i think the NBA is way more predictable. looking at the standings for both leagues, other than the Lakers struggling, there isn't a single surprise. Looking at the NFL, Washington, Seattle, and Indianapolis making the playoffs was a pretty big surprise to everyone. I dont think anyone really had the Ravens making the Super Bowl, hell a lot of people didnt have them in the playoffs over Pittsburg and Cincy.

16 games means every game matters so much. 82 games means i really am not concerned with losing a few here and there. Its the same thing with hockey and baseball. There is so much room for improvement throughout the course of a season in those sports while the NFL its dog eat dog, you better win today because if not, you ain't playing in January. Hell its february and the Lakers, even though they have played like **** up to today, still have a shot at a decent seed. If you are 3-5 (pretty much what the Lakers are in an NFL record at the halfway mark), you got some serious work to do and chances are you aren't making the playoffs.

If I wasn't such a fan of basketball, I'd treat it the same way i do with baseball and hockey, don't pay much attention until the playoffs.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

But it's harder to make the playoffs in baseball.

Besides, there is a certain beauty to MLB's 162 games. Everyone knows it's a marathon, not a race. The NFL's 16 games has its own beauty, too. The games have much greater gravity. The NBA is awkwardly somewhere in the middle. It's not really a sprint nor a race, either one.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I really hope when Adam Silver takes over he takes some steps to try to reinvent the image of the league. People have an "image" of the NBA that even if not reflected by reality (no defense, superstar treatment, etc...) is widely believed by casual basketball fans who prefer college ball. Silver has a real chance to begin a new era and hopefully make some changes (even if they are superficial changes, this is mostly about PR) to hopefully bring some of these people back into the fold. I can't count the number of times I've talked to someone who was like "oh yeah I'm for the pacers I just really hate the NBA" ...They are usually casual sports fans who kinda don't know anything too... but those are the butts that you need to fill those seats.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Far more total games, combined with a higher percentage of teams making the playoffs, greatly devalues the importance of any given regular-season NBA game compared to its NFL counterpart.

One regular-season NFL game represents 6.3% of the season.
    One regular-season NBA game represents 1.2% of the season.

38% of the NFL makes the playoffs.
    53% of the NBA makes the playoffs.

Individual NFL games simply hold far more importance than do individual NBA games. The logic extends into the playoffs, with the NFL holding a single-elimination tournament, while the NBA holds drawn-out best-of-seven series.

I'd love to see the NBA try a less-is-more approach, like the NFL, just to see how ratings, attendance (I suspect teams would have to move to much larger arenas/stadiums), and profit are effected.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    And in the NBA you can't???
    Of course you can, the point of his post that I agreed with was that the idea that one league has some incredible amoutn of parity over the other is hogwash.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But it's harder to make the playoffs in baseball.

Besides, there is a certain beauty to MLB's 162 games. Everyone knows it's a marathon, not a race. The NFL's 16 games has its own beauty, too. The games have much greater gravity. The NBA is awkwardly somewhere in the middle. It's not really a sprint nor a race, either one.
    i think the NBA would be better off with a shorter season actually. Lets be honest about baseball for a second, its not the most physically demanding sport. They can play 162 games in a season. Basketball, if you win the champoinship, you are playing about 100 games that season. Its a far more demanding sport on the body. I think shortening would make the regular season more meaningful, put a better product on the court, and be better on the players.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

March Madness takes the less-is-more approach, which is the biggest reason why it's such a huge annual sporting event. I certainly know I hear far more people talking about the NCAA Tournament than I do the NBA Playoffs on any given year.

Sports Logo

<<>>

Perfectly said.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Far more total games, combined with a higher percentage of teams making the playoffs, greatly devalues the importance of any given regular-season NBA game compared to its NFL counterpart.

Perfectly said.

Sports Logo

College basketball has a similar problem too, I think. In regards to the importance of regular-season games.

As anticipated as Indiana/Michigan was last night, WHAT did it mean? No one cares about a regular-season conference title anymore, so maybe last night's game meant one team will be a #2 seed instead of #1? Maybe that's teensy-weensy important? But not really a big deal, ultimately. The anticipation doesn't match the importance.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    i think the NBA would be better off with a shorter season actually.
    I think so, too. I wouldn't have any problem with a 65-70 game season, and fewer teams in the playoffs.

Again, it will never happen. But that would be my personal preference.

College basketball has a similar problem too, I think. In regards to the importance of regular-season games.

As anticipated as Indiana/Michigan was last night, WHAT did it mean? No one cares about a regular-season conference title anymore, so maybe last night's game meant one team will be a #2 seed instead of #1? Maybe that's teensy-weensy important? But not really a big deal, ultimately. The anticipation doesn't match the importance.
    This is not really a problem though. If you're getting the anticipation, hype, and ratings who cares if the game really mattered?

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Why the NBA can't keep up with the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I would also say a big part of it is America just downright likes football more than basketball
    There is light here for the NBA. They are not facing a mass lawsuit by hundreds of players who may break that League..... This is more serious than most people think and football is going to change and change dramatically. It is going to become more like flag football than what we see today (which is a long way from what we saw twenty years ago). ...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bshall View Post
    This is not really a problem though. If you're getting the anticipation, hype, and ratings who cares if the game really mattered?
    I think it is a problem. College basketball popularity is in decline.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Common to hear
    I don't watch the NBA until football is over.
    I don't watch the NBA until March Madness is over.
    Cause the first half of the season doesn't mean much.
    Cause the games are boring.
    Cause the teams don't play hard like the college teams.
    Cause there are to many games to keep up with.
    I don't watch the NBA till playoffs.
    It usually takes a deeper conversation for refs to ever be mentioned and it never seems to come from a casual fan or a non fan of basketball. This usually always comes from more hard core basketball fans that knows the difference.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Well there are kind of two different topics going on here. Why people nationally prefer the NFL, and why Hoosiers don't prefer the NBA. (pay attention to how I worded that)

There is a lot of cross over as two why, but each group puts more emphasis on different reasons. Both groups don't like the star treatment, the long season isn't as exciting, lack of parity (this is a much more complex issue than I am going to go into). The fines and suspensions I do not think is all that different between leagues so I don't understand the OP's argument there. Since Goodell has taken over the NFL has slowly started to become a more star driven league.

The main difference I see amongst each group is nationally the lack of interest stems more back to the length of the season, and games just not matter as much. While nationally football is preferred to basketball I don't think it is as big of a difference as you would expect when comparing the pro leagues.

Hoosiers on the other hand put more emphasis on the star treatment, and general product and integrity of the game. We want to like the NBA, but everything about it goes against what we know as good basketball. Length of the season is also an issue, but I think it is secondary. I do know if the Pacers continue to be contenders for the next 2 or three years, the only way the Colts will be more popular is if they are a dynasty in the NFL.

I think another reason people in Indiana tend to prefer the college game is no matter who you root for, they have a chance at winning a conference title which actually means something. It's actually considered prestigious, and you're guaranteed a birth in the tournament.

In the NBA it's pretty much a title or nothing, and if you aren't the Lakers or Celtics you won't be winning many NBA titles. Winning your division does basically nothing. Maybe if the found a way to put more emphasis or make it "cool" to win a central division championship, people would care more about games against the Pistons in January.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bshall For This Useful Post:

I don't see 2 different topics really, I see reasonings of why the NBA has less viewers. I don't think that the thoughts of Hoosiers very much from state to state. I don't think Hoosiers live in their own bubble.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bshall View Post
    Winning your division does basically nothing. Maybe if the found a way to put more emphasis or make it "cool" to win a central division championship, people would care more about games against the Pistons in January.
    Yep. Again, there's no playoff mystique.

I've figured it out. If only Stern was reading! Top 3 teams make playoffs (2 division winners and a wild card... go back to old 2 division format). The 4th and 5th seeds have to play a play-in game.

THAT would increase regular season emphasis by a million percent.

I've figured it out. If only Stern was reading! Top 3 teams make playoffs (2 division winners and a wild card... go back to old 2 division format). The 4th and 5th seeds have to play a play-in game.

I'd say stick with the 3 and do it how the MLB is doing it but I like your ideas.

That's a bad idea, we would never have hope for any team not named Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Heat to make playoffs. The season games would be even worst to make sure big market is in the playoffs. That's the money, the billion dollar business.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

NBA championships since 1999-Lakers (5), Spurs (4), Heat (2), Mavericks (1), Pistons (1), Celtics (1)
    NFL championships since 1999-Patriots (3), Giants (2), Steelers (2), Colts (1), Rams (1), Ravens (1), Buccaneers (1), Saints (1), Packers (1), Broncos (1)

There is definitely more parity in the NFL than there is in the NBA. A lot of it has to do with the knockout playoff style but also because the league is less superstar-driven. Superstars are more necessary to make the championship in the NBA, and with the way the NBA handles free agency, most of the time that will end up being in big markets.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    That's a bad idea, we would never have hope for any team not named Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Heat to make playoffs. The season games would be even worst to make sure big market is in the playoffs. That's the money, the billion dollar business.
    If they keep the 3 divisions, the Celtics, Knicks and Nets are already in the same division. It kinda feels like the AL East to me where the big boys beat up on each other all year. Right now the Heat would win their division easily every year but I doubt they'll be on top forever especially when LeBron goes back to Cleveland in a couple years.