Thread: Clock Stoppage

Angry Clock Stoppage

Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by a second or two getting added to the end of a lot of NBA games by pausing the clock for tenths of a second at a time near the end of a game? This is never really talked about, I was wondering if there was some sort of explanation for it. I actually saw a few games back that was won by a buzzer-beater that should not have been possible, if not for the time added to the clock.

Now, I admit, I don't go to many games, and I am looking at the Network TV clock. Maybe the game clock isn't screwy like the on-screen one, but I'd really like to know why this happens so much.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Clock Stoppage

Yeah I've always noticed that too. Seems like they can go the length of the court and shoot a 3 in less than 2 seconds.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

recap

I work with the Pacer's clock operator. I will ask him about it the next time I see him.

Did anyone else think that this happened when AJ had a chance to take a game to OT? I think they had 2.6 seconds to throw it down the court, Austin caught it, held it for a second, and AJ had plenty of time for a catch and shoot. But I wouldn't have a problem with this had the shot went in ...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark and Slick were talking about this the other night...

Mark wanted to know why a league that makes $billions was too cheap to hire neutral clock operators, just like the neutral game officials?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by a second or two getting added to the end of a lot of NBA games by pausing the clock for tenths of a second at a time near the end of a game? This is never really talked about, I was wondering if there was some sort of explanation for it. I actually saw a few games back that was won by a buzzer-beater that should not have been possible, if not for the time added to the clock.

Now, I admit, I don't go to many games, and I am looking at the Network TV clock. Maybe the game clock isn't screwy like the on-screen one, but I'd really like to know why this happens so much.

Like the smits buzzer beater vs orlando in the eastern conf. finals