Thread: Stern won't ban fans as they do in EU Football

Default Stern won't ban fans as they do in EU Football

Anyone surprised? Didn't think so, but since it's now "official" I thought I'd pass it along.

Stern talks security

The NBA will make recommendations to improve security in arenas by the end of January following last month's brawl between fans and Pacers players in Detroit, commissioner David Stern said.

"Nothing profound, just sort of best practices," Stern said in New York.

Stern declined to give specifics on the security recommendations, although he did say the NBA won't ban fans from games as European soccer's governing body did last week after racist abuse by followers of an Italian team.
    http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/202530-5894-179.html

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Stern won't ban fans as they do in EU Football

Stuck Fern
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

It is good to read that Stern is taking his time and is not doing anything drastic in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is good to read that Stern is taking his time and is not doing anything drastic in this regard.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????

taking his time ? naw, he's just stalling.

doing anything drastic? naw he's placating the owners, telling them (and indirectly all moronic fans that now have a "free ticket" to disrupt games) not to worry; there's always a schmuck player I can suspend for a year or so if anything happens.

I hate to say it, but "i told you so".

Stern never had the intention to do anything to A. Pistons, B. Palace, and C. fans.

Justice should only be done of it profits those who excerpt it.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I was being sarcastic.

sorry, wasn't meant to go on a rant, but it still wakes the beast inside to only hear his name.

I know you are no fan of the man.

I'm less concerned with hurting the fans than the organization. My options, in order, are:

1) Make Detroit play some of their home games at Michigan college campuses with students getting preference for tix and the proceeds going into the University system

2) Go ahead and play the games at home but donate all proceeds to charity

Yeah - the fans were a problem but even so it was a huge minority of them. Hit the Pistons in their pocketbook.

I'd also think of closing off a couple of sections and not honoring ticket-holders in those seats for a few games. I'm specifically thinking of where players exit the floor to go to the locker room but there may be others. It's probably impossible to figure out exactly who was throwing beer/popcorn on players - take the whole section out for a few games.

Doing nothing is unacceptable - but that's what Stern's doing. THIS is something for the Players' Association to look into IMO.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been saying for YEARS now that Stern was biased against the Pacers. Here's the proof.

Don't look at it to deep, the best results are gotten from the simple means.

A. peer responsibility, if his behaviour can hurt you then you are far more willing to hold him responsible and correct his actions
    B. You can not control crowds by raising security, even 1 on 1 you can not guarantee security
    C. The Pistons/Palace are responsible for their venue/events, not the league, not the visiting teams.

Take those into consideration and you will see that playing without fans is the easiest and best solution to achieve that, or are you gonna tell me you will be silent to the A**hole that throws something from near you and risks you not being able to watch the next game?

Can you honestly say that if the TOTAL receipts of a night are lost (no concession, no entrance) and on top of that season ticketholders are claiming a refund for not being able to see games because of the lack of security, the organization would not increase it's efforts?

Stern however feeds his family of the owners, not of anything else, if they withdraw support of Stern then that is his downfall, any action that "might" cost the owner/city money is therefore a bad one in his view, as I said, so much easier to go after the players.

Dear David,

Just an open letter with suggestions to keep your teat out of the wringer. Hire actual security officers who are trained in crowd control. You might be surprised to find out their #1 priority is to be observant which helps you see a possible problem developing. You see in addition to this they must be #2 indentifiable so they can be passive yet a visual deterrent. Now how are you going to do any good seeing a problem if you can't communicate with others? #3 you might want to invest in some radios. Now you don't have to hire a bunch of police officers with guns as all they are concerned with is prevention. In other words when your frontline people keep the cops informed of changes and warning signs its not too late like when things came to a boil at the Palace. #4 Containment Mr. Stern. Now this is where Ron Artest didn't help matters thats for sure and I can't defend the man for this, but how the two yahoos who came down on the floor was because of NO Containment.....#5 Dispersal is next David, and why the crowd was not removed from at least the player exit area was a total breakdown. #6 Is prevention of Re-Entry where you let people know if you try to return you're going to be arrested. #7 Arrest Violators like the idiots on the floor. Believe me Mr. Stern, handcuffs will get a normal fan's attention. Of course I'm not sure that works with the Palace crowd since it appears many are use to this sort of jewlry.

yep, i knew he was never going to deal with the pistons organozation in even a remotley equal manner. he even stated within a few days of the event that he had severe reluctance to ban the fans for x number of games or anything like it. he only cares about one thing and thats maximizing the profit potential for the owners. therefore it would take something like a large pack of fans with weapons and seriously injuring players before he would even consider such an action. it's all about the money with him. it's been about a month now and we haven't seen or heard anything about what he will do other than that feeble statement of more security. i am doubting more and more every day that any action is taken against the piston org. for their failure on their part.
    we were punished harshly but perhaps appropriately. however nothing has been done to punish the piston org. or the refs for such a miserable job they did in containing this situation. i give mr. stern an f- on this.