Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mmm mmm this is a tasty dish

Default Re: Mmm mmm this is a tasty dish

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There were a ton of unfair, whiny and quite honestly uneducated opinions that went something like this: He turns the ball over, he can't shoot, his passing is flashy but poor, he can't play defense (seriously?), he should be cut so the team can keep Ben Hansbrough (seriously!). To say nothing of the typical "Low BBall IQ" nonsense.
    No, prior to this year..that was all completely true. (Although, maybe not cutting him for Ben Hansbrough) Prior to this year, Lance turned the ball over, couldn't shoot, would make ridiculous flashy passes that often did more harm than good, and was too slow to play defense.

Credit Lance Stephenson for his improvement. He wasn't always playing anywhere close to it and most of us "just couldn't see it." No, he worked on his shot, he worked on understanding team basketball, he reduced his stupid passes, and he got in, IMO, the best shape I've seen him..and has learned how to use his strength on the defensive end to make up for his lateral speed.

I want to be clear, I still don't think he's going to be nearly as good as Paul George. And I don't think he'll come close to "revolutionizing the Pacers." But I think he's made himself into a microwave role player, who actually understands passing. Which is significantly better than what he showed us his first two seasons.

Lance has matured to the point where his trash talking/passion is amusing to fans (and probably teammates), harmless, and probably annoys the opposition a bit. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Totally disagree.

Yes, I understand your sense that Lance is passionate and that he can be vocal and flashy. But I see very, very little resemblance to Stephen Jackson and his utter ugliness and poor character on the basketball floor. When does Lance complain to the officials? I hardly ever see it. When has Lance visibly defied his coach? I've never seen anything like that. When has Lance puffed up his chest and gone after the opposition or the fans? Never. He's done the exact opposite, even when terribly provoked in the most unjust manner.

You do Lance a terrible disservice, even a slander, to compare him to Stephen Jackson. They are both passionate, and that is where the similarity ends. Jackson directed his passion toward the refs, toward violent behavior, and toward rebellion against his coaches. Lance directs his, verbally, toward the competition—in a proper, healthy, nonviolent way—and, even better, toward defense, rebounding, and cheering on his teammates.
    Stop. Nothing worse than someone who argues against something that was never said. Noone ever said anything about defying his coach. Or going after fans...I was very specific about what the similarities were. Playground mentality. *****ing at the refs. Trashtalking. And if you dont believe Lance doesnt do those things, then youre either not watching or flat out ignoring the obvious. And he definitely puffs out his chest at times. He hasnt become a suddenly different person. But hes definitely learned to be more focused and direct his emotions, etc in generally the right direction. Stephen Jackson wasnt as bad in is early years either. But once they get a bit of experience and a longer leash. Then these things become a bit more frequent and more noticeable. Now I'm not saying he's gonna turn out exactly like SJax. Lets hope not, though SJax was a very fine ballplayer and has rings to boot-though I despise him personally and wish he never woulve worn a Pacer uniform. What I did say was Lance has some of those same things in him. And not unlike the Spurs did a great job harnessing and directing them in Sjax's younger years the Pacers have done similar with Lance. So time will tell...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No one could have known whether he would mature emotionally. But I think all of us could see he had game.
    I think there were a few people who claimed he didn't have any game.

Not me. I was firmly in the "it won't matter because of his baggage" camp.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't a matter of him not having any game. It was a matter of his highs always being countered by lows. Lance has done a great job of eliminating the valleys.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I want to be clear, I still don't think he's going to be nearly as good as Paul George. And I don't think he'll come close to "revolutionizing the Pacers." But I think he's made himself into a microwave role player, who actually understands passing. Which is significantly better than what he showed us his first two seasons.
    Yea...I agree....I think Frank has done a great job of putting him in a great position to succeed...the more I watch him the more I doubt he would ever be that successful as a starting pg on a winning team. Starting sg? absolutely...Starting sg that handles the backup pg minutes? Yes to that too...but put the ball in his hands for starting pg minutes and I think some of his weaknesses or questieonable tendencies might become more exposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Lance has matured to the point where his trash talking/passion is amusing to fans (and probably teammates), harmless, and probably annoys the opposition a bit. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Yea...its all new and fresh right now. And his positive growing and maturation has gotten him teh benefit of the doubt with everyone..and rightly so....Now if he gets a tech late in a playoff game thats swings the game for taunting or causes Lebron or wade to go off and the Pacers lose the game, well....we will see how long its amusing to fans. In small doses with no major consequence its cute and amusing...however....hes walking a fine line...and its likely Lance will always live right on the edge-which will be part of what makes him succeed-but when u live that close to the edge there will be times you crossover....u only hope that when he does the consequences arent too severe...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Stop. Nothing worse than someone who argues against something that was never said.
    Does Lance ***** at the refs? Or is this something you "never said."

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He absolutely does...

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Yep, big props for manning up

I will do the same.

After watching Gerald Green in pre-season I thought he just might have more impact this year than...

Paul George

Sittin on top of the world!

No one could have known whether he would mature emotionally. But I think all of us could see he had game.
    UB, I coulda swore you once said he wasn't an NBA player. Did I get that wrong?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

He absolutely does...
    I don't see much myself of Lance complaining to the refs. David West would be five times more guilty.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Lance? No, I saw his NBA talent from the first time I saw him play in the NBA.

I don't see much myself of Lance complaining to the refs. David West would be five times more guilty.
    Yeah I don't think this has ever been something I see LAnce do.

Lance? No, I saw his NBA talent from the first time I saw him play in the NBA.
    The beard knows UB. The beard knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I think that was reserved for McRoberts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I think that was reserved for McRoberts.
    Oh, maybe so. I remembered the convo but with the wrong person. My bad, UB.

I agree with you. If *****ing at the refs is based on the Stephen Jackson standard then Lance is completly innocent. And even at a much lower level I just have not seen much on TV that says he is doing that.
    ????
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lets hope not, though SJax was a very fine ballplayer and has rings to boot-though I despise him personally and wish he never woulve worn a Pacer uniform. What I did say was Lance has some of those same things in him. And not unlike the Spurs did a great job harnessing and directing them in Sjax's younger years the Pacers have done similar with Lance. So time will tell...
    So did Reggie, Jordan, Bird, Kobe, The Rifleman....and on and on and on. You listed qualities that are shared by hundreds of current and former NBA players, yet chose S Jax as the one you were going to use as a reference. You can't then get upset when a poster claims that is an unfair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I just got labeled as a "Lance hater" a lot early in his career. Never really hated him, just didn't think he would ever be more than a 9 or 10 guy and also a PR risk, I was wrong.
    You and sookie became the face of pro Aj enthusiast in the price vs. Stephenson debate. You have been consistent on your pg vs sg viewpoint.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2