Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

  1. #101

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Bird missed badly on drafting Hans instead of Holiday, yes? Bird's biggest complaint about the team was that they were soft. You see anything soft about Tyler? At the time, IMO, Hans was drafted to bring some toughness alongside Foster. The fact that he was hurt when he came in and had the vertigo problem changed the plan. JOB not playing him may have been the reason Bird finally pulled the trigger on his contract. When Vogel talked about "smash mouth basketball" who was the player that first came to mind? Murphy? When Jeff got hurt and couldn't play, Murphy turned into Collison, Vogel started Tyler and PG and changed the way the Pacers had looked for years. IIRC, Granger, Hans and McBob on the floor together made "small ball" fun again and not just an excuse to shoot more 3s. JMOAA, and of course, David West just added to the toughness and talent content of this team in a major way!
    Last edited by Cousy47; 02-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    I always thought Hans was drafted for marketing reasons.

  3. #103
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always thought Hans was drafted for marketing reasons.
    Drafting a player for Marketing Reasons doesn't really work when you're a losing team. It'll work in the short-term, anyway. But by January, ticket sales and attendance numbers would fade back to where they were the year before.

  4. #104

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drafting a player for Marketing Reasons doesn't really work when you're a losing team. It'll work in the short-term, anyway. But by January, ticket sales and attendance numbers would fade back to where they were the year before.
    well, I mean, the assumption would be that he'd be a solid NBA player given his college career, and everyone knew who he was.

  5. #105
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,610

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regarding this important intangible, Vogel apparently gets a lot of credit. He is willing to play the front role of representing that "no fear" mentality. Kind of unusual for coaches, wouldn't you say?

    And the synergy between Vogel and Lance has got to be interesting. On the one hand, Vogel is batting him down and telling him to get in line. On the other hand, you know he secretly loves Lance's irreverent attitude toward the self-proclaimed chosen ones.
    Frank is just special, period.

    However the funny thought running in my mind was that poor Lance was probably getting contradictory messages from the two leaders of the team. David West was on the court saying calm down young fella while whenever he would go to the bench Danny was probably saying don't let Wade disrespect you like that, I thought I heard James say something about Brooklyn you can't stand for that.

    Kind of like a devil & angel on his shoulder type of thing.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  7. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always thought Hans was drafted for marketing reasons.
    An small part of drafting him was for marketing reasons no doubt.

  8. #107

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank is just special, period.

    However the funny thought running in my mind was that poor Lance was probably getting contradictory messages from the two leaders of the team. David West was on the court saying calm down young fella while whenever he would go to the bench Danny was probably saying don't let Wade disrespect you like that, I thought I heard James say something about Brooklyn you can't stand for that.

    Kind of like a devil & angel on his shoulder type of thing.

    Yup I was thinking the entire game how Danny was probably loving Lance's brashness towards those two. Danny couldn't be on the court, but he knew Lance would do the trash talking for him. There's probably one other guy loving (and most likely urging on) Lance's trash talking and overall "no fear" attitude towards the chosen ones more than even Danny and Frank.

    Larry. You know he's probably chuckling the entire time as Lance goes at it against those two. Larry was exactly like Lance on the court in that sense. He was not going to back down from anybody. And Lance now has the game to back that talking so Larry's probably loving it.

    Pretty funny, Danny and Lebron obviously don't like each other. But both seem to see PG as a younger brother. PG most probably gets joked on constantly by Danny about being being friends with Lebron. And Lebron probably gives it to PG about Danny. Poor guy's stuck in the middle trying to explain to the other that the other guy's really not the bad.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:


  10. #108

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always thought Hans was drafted for marketing reasons.
    I thought he was drafted to fill a need. Remember the pacers had an [injured?] jeff Foster and McRoberts at the 4. Maybe Solo Jones also. They were weak at the 4 big time, IIRC. I thing Tyler was a need pick. He was older and ready to play, instead of a 'project' pick.

    Edit: Forgot about Troy Murphy.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 02-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.

  11. #109

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was drafted to fill a need. Remember the pacers had an [injured?] jeff Foster and McRoberts at the 4. Maybe Solo Jones also. They were weak at the 4 big time, IIRC. I thing Tyler was a need pick. He was older and ready to play, instead of a 'project' pick.

    Edit: Forgot about Troy Murphy.
    Tyler also was a "culture" pick. Larry said several times that Tyler would raise the intensity level of practices.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

  12. #110
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    I really haven't commented on the Heat game. Wow that was an impressive display by the Pacers. Offense, defense, rebounding - it was all about as good as it gets. And of course West was beyond words

  13. #111
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really haven't commented on the Heat game. Wow that was an impressive display by the Pacers. Offense, defense, rebounding - it was all about as good as it gets. And of course West was beyond words
    One of the big takeaways for me is that we don't look outmatched out on the floor. It's not like Lebron is this huge man oversizing his defender or that DWade seems to bo so athletically superior to his defender. Add to that we have a 7'2" and 7'0" center guarding the paint and DWest is a muscular dude and Hill is no shrimp . . . just from a visual angle we look like a team that can legitimately deal with them.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  15. #112
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,201

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank is just special, period.

    However the funny thought running in my mind was that poor Lance was probably getting contradictory messages from the two leaders of the team. David West was on the court saying calm down young fella while whenever he would go to the bench Danny was probably saying don't let Wade disrespect you like that, I thought I heard James say something about Brooklyn you can't stand for that.

    Kind of like a devil & angel on his shoulder type of thing.

    I look at it as Lance has taken some serious cheap shots so to get a verbal jab in does not bother me. Many
    would have responded physically. To his credit he kept his cool. That being said the Pacers need someone on the roster who will respond to the cheap shots.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Similar Threads

  1. Odd Thoughts: Heat Exhaustion
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
  2. Odd Thoughts: Heat lowered to room temperature
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
  3. Odd Thoughts: Can't stand the Heat
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
  4. Miller travels with Heat; thoughts with daughter [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •