Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say this in complete honesty, I think Miami is much more scared of us than we are of them.
    With good reason, they came out for blood last night and couldn't begin to figure out how to beat us.

Say what you will about the Heat not taking the regular season seriously folks, but they wanted that game. You can tell by the minutes they played. And by how riled up they got what was it 4 techs. They came out expecting to win, and then had a rude awakening.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    did someone say that a while back or something?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ut-Lance/page4
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    With good reason, they came out for blood last night and couldn't begin to figure out how to beat us.

Say what you will about the Heat not taking the regular season seriously folks, but they wanted that game. You can tell by the minutes they played. And by how riled up they got what was it 4 techs. They came out expecting to win, and then had a rude awakening.
    I thought they came out strong. Played with lots of energy. That gave the Pacers trouble. But as the game wore on, their energy just faded. By the 2nd half, the Heat were playing at a Pacer pace. No pressure, no forcing the action, it was a grind it, half court game. Pacers played at a nice comfortable pace the whole time. Don't know if Miami was bored, tired or frustrated, but they just couldn't keep the energy needed to make the Pacers uncomfortable.

Banned

You know what trade makes sense for two teams at the moment? Bosh for KG, Celtics get younger and Miami gets a huge piece that could help them win Championships in the next two years while saving them money.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    I thought they came out strong. Played with lots of energy. That gave the Pacers trouble. But as the game wore on, their energy just faded. By the 2nd half, the Heat were playing at a Pacer pace. No pressure, no forcing the action, it was a grind it, half court game. Pacers played at a nice comfortable pace the whole time. Don't know if Miami was bored, tired or frustrated, but they just couldn't keep the energy needed to make the Pacers uncomfortable.
    I viewed as the Pacers wouldn't let them play the pace that they wanted to

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    You know what trade makes sense for two teams at the moment? Bosh for KG, Celtics get younger and Miami gets a huge piece that could help them win Championships in the next two years while saving them money.
    I don't think it works from a money stand point, but not sure.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Straight up isn't doable. Boston would have to add pieces to the deal.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I was talking about main pieces but yeah Boston would need to send somebody else to Miami, my point is that if I was Boston and Miami I might think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    How anyone could criticize Bird at this point boggles my mind.

Honestly, I think most criticism of him is because of an inherent bias that some people have against him because they didn't like him as a player.

But the stud team we have right now is 100% a reflection of the awesome work Bird did as GM over the last few seasons.

You might want to re-think that comment. I have more respect for Bird the FO guy than I use to, but please don't act like Bird hasn't made any mistakes. That every move Bird has done has been perfect. We all know how I feel about Bird picking up JOB's 4th year TO at the beginning of the 3rd year. Same applies to the last 2 contracts Bird gave to Foster. Neither have anything to do with Bird the player.

Picking up an injured Pendergraph wasn't a good move either. I realize he's a 12-15 bench sitter, but that's not what Bird invisioned when signing him. I'd bring up drafting Chumlee, not impressed with the pick nor what little I've seen him play, but it's to early to say yea or nay.

Did Bird create a really nice team? Yes, kudos to Mr. Bird. But lets not make out the reason others don't care for Bird is that others didn't like him as a player. That's pretty weak! How could someone not like watching Larry Bird the player play the game of BB?

Plus, I believe Walsh added a piece or 2 to this stud team.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You might want to re-think that comment. I have more respect for Bird the FO guy than I use to, but please don't act like Bird hasn't made any mistakes. That every move Bird has done has been perfect. We all know how I feel about Bird picking up JOB's 4th year TO at the beginning of the 3rd year. Same applies to the last 2 contracts Bird gave to Foster. Neither have anything to do with Bird the player.

Picking up an injured Pendergraph wasn't a good move either. I realize he's a 12-15 bench sitter, but that's not what Bird invisioned when signing him. I'd bring up drafting Chumlee, not impressed with the pick nor what little I've seen him play, but it's to early to say yea or nay.

Did Bird create a really nice team? Yes, kudos to Mr. Bird. But lets not make out the reason others don't care for Bird is that others didn't like him as a player. That's pretty weak! How could someone not like watching Larry Bird the player play the game of BB?

Who has walsh added?

Who has walsh added?

Mahinmi for starters or are you discounting him as a nothing with no value to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Hold your horses everybody, anybody implying that Miami is "scared of us" needs to calm down for a moment.

Lets not forget that not only did they beat us in 6 games without Bosh last year, but the 2011 Bulls swept them in the regular season and then went on to lose in 5 to Miami in the playoffs. To put it bluntly, Miami doesn't care about this win nearly as much as we do. Not that they shouldn't be alarmed, or that they can just rely on history to repeat itself, but we have to remember this means jack until we can take them out in the playoffs.

I agree 10000000%

thank you.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

@PacersMatt: First emoticon ever tweeted from the @Pacers. Breaking new ground today. http://t.co/122SDQwk

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Now that I've finished my relentless ramblings on the Heat, I wanted to talk about the Pacers.

I believe the Pacers are a horrible matchup to the Heat this year mainly for two reasons: While virtually equal in talent to last year's team, the difference is this team has a truly GREAT defense.
    You make some great points in your posts, but I just want to say that I don't agree that we are equally talented as last year. Lance has improved three fold, PG has improved immensely, DWest improved his game, Hibbert may be in a funk offensively but he has stepped his defense up to an elite level. Ian is a million times better than Lou. Hansbrough looks improved, Vogel's coaching seems improved.

I guess maybe talent wise we are just about the same because we have all the same players just about, but much of this team has taken the next step and we are a lot better team than we were last year simply because of the progression of our players.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

I viewed as the Pacers wouldn't let them play the pace that they wanted to
    Maybe, I hope so. But I don't think so. The way Miami give the Pacers trouble is when they pressure the Pacers on defense. Aggressively trying to force turnovers. The Pacers are just not great with the ball when under pressure. Miami started that way and looked pretty good. But as the game wore on, they didn't keep it up. It didn't appear to be the Pacers taking advantage of the Miami pressure, just Miami being unable to keep up the work rate.

No one said Bird is perfect, but really Jeff Pendergraph/JOB pickup is the examplse used to show a notable mistake? If Jeff Pendergraph is the biggest knock on your resume, that's pretty outstanding. Especially considering how people used to argue he was clueless and his 3yr plan was a joke.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I think calling Miami scared is a bit of an exaggeration but they know they're in for a dog fight if they see each other again. They might be too dumb to respect the Pacers, but they should.

Last games Danny played everyone would have agreed they peed down their collective legs without him. The fact they're doing this without arguably the most important piece from last year is impressive growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    No one said Bird is perfect, but really Jeff Pendergraph/JOB pickup is the examplse used to show a notable mistake? If Jeff Pendergraph is the biggest knock on your resume, that's pretty outstanding. Especially considering how people used to argue he was clueless and his 3yr plan was a joke.
    Sounds like a great game, wish I didn't take a nap and watched it. For me the biggest mistake Bird did was take Tyler Hansborough over Jrue Holiday. But in those regards, we may have never got Paul George.

Same thing with not firing JOB after the 4th year, we may have never discovered Frank Vogel's coaching ability. Every GM makes mistakes, unless you have a combination of Gregg Popovich and RC Buford in the spurs.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Hey, it was a fair question to ask back in November.

No one would ask now, though.
    Well, let's just be glad Vogel wasn't asking the question. Because Green/Young would in fact be the worst.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

Let me clarify. I didn't mean that Bird didn't make mistakes. Being a GM is an imperfect profession, and if you do it long enough then you are going to have missteps along the way. My point though was that Bird's good decisions clearly outweigh his bad ones. Therefore, I don't see how anyone can have a negative overall opinion of him as a GM. The team's success right now is a validation of how awesome a job he did from 2008-2012. It cannot be denied that when Walsh left in 2008, the team immediately began making better moves than those of previous seasons. Coincidence, or did Walsh leaving mean that Bird finally had complete free reign to do what he wanted?

Doctors get better after practicing for a while and perfecting their skill. Players and coaches get better after getting experience. A GM is no different. You learn from your mistakes and improve, and that's what Bird did. He was an ace in his final few years here and for the most part made the most of his resources.

And there are definitely old timers here who couldn't stand Bird the player. It largely stems from Indiana fans wearing Celtic green to Pacers games in support of Bird, which I admit would have annoyed me too if I were old enough to remember.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-02-2013 at 05:10 PM.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    No one said Bird is perfect, but really Jeff Pendergraph is the example used to show a notable mistake?

If Jeff Pendergraph is the biggest knock on your resume,

that's pretty outstanding. Especially considering how people used to argue he was clueless and his 3yr plan was a joke.
    Where did I list Pendergraph as the biggest knock? I stated JOB TO and Foster's contracts PRIOR to Pendergraph. Since they were b4 the Pendergraph comment, I would have thought it was pretty obvious they were bigger miscues, but maybe I should have put them in numerical order to avoid confusion.

My POINT was that not every Bird decision has turned to gold like some seem to feel.

I also gave KUDOS to Bird, but since you never mentioned that I guess maybe you missed it too. SO AGAIN Mr. Bird kudos for the nice job, as I enjoy watching the team play.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Sounds like a great game, wish I didn't take a nap and watched it. For me the biggest mistake Bird did was take Tyler Hansborough over Jrue Holiday. But in those regards, we may have never got Paul George.

Same thing with not firing JOB after the 4th year, we may have never discovered Frank Vogel's coaching ability. Every GM makes mistakes, unless you have a combination of Gregg Popovich and RC Buford in the spurs.
    Even they have their Richard Jefferson deals.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post

Even they have their Richard Jefferson deals.

Not once but twice.

I thought your review was spot on except I probably would have rewarded Sam a bit more. Getting trapped is part bad judgement and part good play by opponents disguising their defensive arrangement and movement (or sometimes luck in where you happen to be) and I sure wish folks would just call time out when you get into trouble like that. But anyway, I digress---I would have given him higher marks because he brought energy on defense and made quite a pest of himself. He was not a shut-down defender by any stretch, but IMO he did what was asked of him and maybe actually even more when I think about it.