Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Heat of the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they're stupid enough to just have the mindset of "wtf, we should beat these punks easy" opposed to legitimately not wanting to play us, then even better.
    I could be wrong, but it's just what I gather from their body language. Lol I agree with you, I hope I'm right.

Mood

Sports Logo

DAVID WEST

This dude is just a serious badass.

Without question one of the best players to ever wear a Pacers uniform.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Okay I won’t lie either, I hate Wade. I didn’t used to but these past two years he has turned into a whiney little runt who looks to the referees each and every time he has the ball. Way to often they reward his whining with free throws so that gets under my skin as well. So I won’t deny that Lance giving him an earful while beating them on the court gives me great pleasure.
    I'm not a fan of Wade, mainly because he's one of the dirtiest players I've seen. He's other-wordly with his reflexes and coordination, and he's so fast with them that he has an uncanny ability to make cheap shots look like accidents.

For example, early in tonight's game, Lance was playing pretty physical D on Wade. While chasing Wade under the basket, Wade attempted to elbow Lance in the face. I can't tell on TV if he connected or not, but both Lance and West saw it. Moments later there was a dead ball, Lance walked up to Wade without talking and West quickly pulled him away. It looked like Lance was going to take Wade's head off.

I thought Danny was a bit dramatic at times in the playoffs, but the Heat have gotten away with a lot of elbows against us. LeBron did it at least twice in the playoffs last season, Wade did it tonight, and then Battier threw one at West right before they got the double technicals.

The only two that have been called are Haslem's elbow to Tyler's face and Pittman's elbow to Lance.

It was awesome to watch Lance on Wade, and I give Lance credit for maintainng his composure. He wouldn't even let Wade breathe during dead balls. The trash talking bothers me a bit, but hey, it's getting in the Heat's heads. Worst case scenario, we see some incredible, motivated basketball from the Heat. Best case, Wade or LeBron lose composure in the playoffs and get suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Peck, can you or someone give some details? You must have seen and heard a lot more than we could watching on TV. I saw Lance slap the ball out of Lebron's hands while he complaining and delaying our fast break (which pi$$ed off the chosen one), but that was about it.
    He was chirping with them all night. At the end of the first half I saw both Wade and LeBron approach a ref and complain while everyone else headed to the locker-room and thought it was strange (since neither of them missed a whistle). But then on Twitter I read they were both complaining about Lance's trash talk.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Lance being able to mouth off to guys like Lebron and Wade while still playing...maybe 65% in control, I dig that. This punk kid you had to send a goon after to assault (in the legal definition) in garbage time last year has you crying to refs at half in a double digit loss.

We're in your head. Better hope you don't play us in the playoffs.

Also can we talk draft value for a min? Our starting shooting guard who IMO outplayed their starting shooting guard was a second round pick, his backup who came in and gave you a few quality min. even though he is a rookie was also drafted in the 2nd round. Roy Hibbert was a low first round pick & Tyler was a late lottery pick. Only our star player was picked in the top 10 and he was number 10. I’m not looking at where players on our team were drafted by other teams just ours. But really look at the value we are getting for modest investment. If you draft with purpose and do your homework you can get good players outside the lottery.

The Legend continues to get the last laugh on virtually every major move made from 2008-2012. Every starter last night is a Bird guy. Two of them, PG and Lance, were added before the 2010-11 season and two others were added before 2011-12. The moves Bird made during that important two year stretch are nothing short of A+++++++. The 2011-12 off-season additions of Hill and West might go down as the best Pacer off-season ever. West is without question the greatest FA signing the Pacers have ever had. George Hill was such a solid addition because not only he is a very good player, but he also spent three years learning how an A+ Spurs organization conducts itself. Spending time with Pop, Duncan, Manu, Parker, etc, without question rubbed off on Hill and he has brought those winning characteristics here.

How anyone could criticize Bird at this point boggles my mind. Honestly, I think most criticism of him is because of an inherent bias that some people have against him because they didn't like him as a player. But the stud team we have right now is 100% a reflection of the awesome work Bird did as GM over the last few seasons.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    He was chirping with them all night. At the end of the first half I saw both Wade and LeBron approach a ref and complain while everyone else headed to the locker-room and thought it was strange (since neither of them missed a whistle). But then on Twitter I read they were both complaining about Lance's trash talk.
    Wade and LeBron are giant 8 year olds complaining about a "mean bully".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I posted elsewhere last night and am stilling wondering why Mia. didn't move James to the 4 to slow West down. Anthony could have helped but maybe he's hurt? Lebron IMO is the only player the Heat have who is strong enough and quick enough to guard West when he's on a roll. Would cause the Heat some other problems(PG) but I kept expecting it, and it never happened.
    Yeah I don't know why they didn't put Lebron on West, I hear rumors before that Lebron and Wade guard whoever they want so probably Lebron didn't want to have anything to do with West? I also remember hearing comments that Spoeltra wants Lebron to play more point guard but he doesn't want to so I guess you can't force the guy.

I haven't posted in a while. Go Pacers!

I thought I'd chime in and say its hilarious that Wade and James were so bothered by Lance's trash talk. Can you imagine them playing against someone like Reggie? The Heat are ridiculously talented, but we have the right gameplan to beat them. For the Pacers (or any other team) it's important to get physical with them and get in their faces. Normally I prefer a more calm type of basketball, but you have to get mean to beat the heat. They can't handle mean. What a great game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Look, he offers a lot defensively. That has been said a lot of times and is a reason why he saves some face this season. But a lot sound like excuses. Contested tips? Don't know about that. Of course some of them are gonna be difficult but some of them have also been ridiculously easy for a 7"2 center to miss them. Plus he has been right under the basket attempting those. Regarding the double teams. Can't recall many of them from last night tbh but again does not excuse his game on the offensive end all season long and the first half of yesterday's match. He was much much better during the second half though where he grabbed his whole points and rebounds.
    Yeap, he had that much of a great game in the first half where he had a big fat zero in every stat line bar one foul and one turnover....
    A few weeks ago I was taking exception to Hibbert and the shots he was missing, as well as his lack of aggressiveness on the offensive end. My line of thinking was that, if I were the coach, I would tell him he could shoot as much as he wanted as long as each shot was a dunk attempt. I'm glad to see that in the last week Vogel has encouraged Hibbert to dunk everything he can possibly dunk. I think Vogel wanted to also see more aggressiveness, as well as an end to Hibbert missing so many bunnies under the basket. The Pacers have changed their offense to exclude Hibbert as a a focal point in the post; they now put the majority of offensive opportunities in the post through West. Hibbert is able to focus the majority of his energies on defense and is not force-fed on offense. The Pacers use him in the post as opportunities present themselves and I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of his field goals come from put backs or dish offs.

I think the games with Miami have served to emphasis a couple of things. First off, the importance of re-signing David West. I'm not going to even attempt to qualify keeping him over Granger or others in our need to re-sign players. After last nights game, any possible explanation that I could give could not possibly include each and every reason. They simply are too numerous, so I won't even try in fear that I might leave out one or two very important ones.

Secondly, it is almost as important to re-sign Stephenson. I once said that Stephenson was bench fodder, I nice project to have, but just another warm body on an NBA bench that could easily be replaced by countless other players that are not even in the league. Does anyone have any mustard for the crow that I am eating? It is not very tasty and should have been plucked first.

But right now, I could almost bet that Miami would attempt to sign Lance when he becomes available. And Peck has told us why. He can handle Wade and his trash talking gets under Wade's and Lebron's skins like no other player in the league. Heck, Sir James would probably want Lance on his team just so he didn't have to listen to Lance's crap a few times a season. Seriously though, Stephenson has quickly become an unselfish, complete basketball player. He is great with the ball on the break and in distribution, is a magnificent back court rebounder and defender and rarely takes a bad shot. That being said, I like his role as a combo guard better than as a point guard. Every team needs a Lance Stephenson and every team wants a Lance Stephenson.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

3 year plan

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Lance isn’t anywhere like that but in some ways it’s all the same, Lance has nothing compelling him not to take it at those two each and every game and frankly I think it takes them out of their game. Also its not like he’s a scrub who’s sitting on the bench not playing like he did last year, he did this while dropping 15 on them and just suffocating Wade with defense. He seemed to take it a little easier on Allen the few times he was rotated on him but I think that is more because he looks at him like a Grandpa figure.

Okay I won’t lie either, I hate Wade. I didn’t used to but these past two years he has turned into a whiney little runt who looks to the referees each and every time he has the ball. Way to often they reward his whining with free throws so that gets under my skin as well. So I won’t deny that Lance giving him an earful while beating them on the court gives me great pleasure.
    I'm pretty sure you have a typo above. I think you meant to type a C and not an R when talking about Wade being whiney.
    Danger Zone

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Hold your horses everybody, anybody implying that Miami is "scared of us" needs to calm down for a moment.

Lets not forget that not only did they beat us in 6 games without Bosh last year, but the 2011 Bulls swept them in the regular season and then went on to lose in 5 to Miami in the playoffs. To put it bluntly, Miami doesn't care about this win nearly as much as we do. Not that they shouldn't be alarmed, or that they can just rely on history to repeat itself, but we have to remember this means jack until we can take them out in the playoffs.

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    THEY BOTH SOFTER THAN A BABY'S ***! If they had played with Jordan, Bird and a in-his-Prime Reggie, could you imagine them complaining to the refs about their trash talking? They would get eaten ALIVE!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

i am wondering about some things......
    looking at miami this year i ask myself, do they looks better than last year, the same or worse than?
    i can't say they are better. and i can't say they are noticeably worse. they look to me to be about the same perhaps slightly worse.

what has changed for the pacers since last year?
    well, so far- no danny granger. however, we have seen that hole filled better than i anticipated with the contributions from guys like paul george and lance. these guys have made substantial contributions all over. they can score inside and out, they can attack and finish and they can both apply some mean, tough D. throw in a true center in mahinmi who has gotten more comfortable with the squad since he struggled early to figure things out and those are some factors that make this current squad without danny to be better than the playoff team we had last year.
    lance's D has been a big help with his ability match up well against a guy like wade. i think he will do just fine against D. rose when he returns too.
    figuring out the rotations when danny returns is a problem i welcome. it just makes us deeper and like i mentioned about his return in another thread, i am less worried about how his return affects the team than if he was a rookie or free agent who hadn't any previous experience with this team or coach. we have times where we struggle with scoring- he can help with that.
    i would give the coach and team an overall grade so far about an B+/ A- considering i didn't think they would be playing this well.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    well, so far- no danny granger. however, we have seen that hole filled better than i anticipated with the contributions from guys like paul george and lance.
    One of the worst wing combinations in the league.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

The Legend continues to get the last laugh on virtually every major move made from 2008-2012. Every starter last night is a Bird guy. Two of them, PG and Lance, were added before the 2010-11 season and two others were added before 2011-12. The moves Bird made during that important two year stretch are nothing short of A+++++++. The 2011-12 off-season additions of Hill and West might go down as the best Pacer off-season ever. West is without question the greatest FA signing the Pacers have ever had. George Hill was such a solid addition because not only he is a very good player, but he also spent three years learning how an A+ Spurs organization conducts itself. Spending time with Pop, Duncan, Manu, Parker, etc, without question rubbed off on Hill and he has brought those winning characteristics here.

How anyone could criticize Bird at this point boggles my mind. Honestly, I think most criticism of him is because of an inherent bias that some people have against him because they didn't like him as a player. But the stud team we have right now is 100% a reflection of the awesome work Bird did as GM over the last few seasons.
    NBA Champion (x3)
    NBA MVP (x3)
    Dream Team Olympic Gold Medalist
    Coach of the Year
    Executive of the Year

As Bill Simmons calls him, "Basketball Jesus."

Everyone has their flaws / mistakes, he certainly is no exception, but his basketball resume is truly legendary.

Oh, and if not for him I would have lost my camera's lens cap at a STH function a few years back as well. He had the eye to spot it in a low-lighting setting and was nice enough to tell me right away.

Oh, and that small bit where watching his highlights as a youngster made me first fall in love with basketball and thus later helped draw me in as a die hard when he started coaching, which in turn put me in position to want to create a certain web forum to talk about the team later on.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

did someone say that a while back or something?

I say this in complete honesty, I think Miami is much more scared of us than we are of them.
    Most teams only have 1 or 2 guys who don't bow to the Heat, we have Lance, West, Danny, and Tyler. I'm still trying to figure out Paul, he is definitely trying to be buddy buddy with Lebron, but he at least is bringing it on the court. Roy well I don't know he's just Roy so sometimes I think he is spooked by his own shadow.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Hey, it was a fair question to ask back in November.

No one would ask now, though.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Lance being able to mouth off to guys like Lebron and Wade while still playing...maybe 65% in control, I dig that. This punk kid you had to send a goon after to assault (in the legal definition) in garbage time last year has you crying to refs at half in a double digit loss.

We're in your head. Better hope you don't play us in the playoffs.
    It's like I said back when Lebron had his famours "You want me to give you a quote about Lance Stephenson? I won't even give him the time" it's like, uh, Lebron, I'm pretty sure you just did give us a quote about Lance Stephenson. Lebron is a brilliant basketball mind, but I do believe he is a horribly adjusted human being who is not overly self confident. Look at the clues, couldn't understand Cleveland fans turning on him, fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, and Kentucky Wildcats in college bball. Lebron doesn't know how to be anything other than a front runner and when people don't treat him like that, he doesn't know how to react... he's just very immature mentally.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    NBA Champion (x3)
    NBA MVP (x3)
    Dream Team Olympic Gold Medalist
    Coach of the Year
    Executive of the Year

As Bill Simmons calls him, "Basketball Jesus."

Everyone has their flaws / mistakes, he certainly is no exception, but his basketball resume is truly legendary.

Oh, and if not for him I would have lost my camera's lens cap at a STH function a few years back as well. He had the eye to spot it in a low-lighting setting and was nice enough to tell me right away.

Oh, and that small bit where watching his highlights as a youngster made me first fall in love with basketball and thus later helped draw me in as a die hard when he started coaching, which in turn put me in position to want to create a certain web forum to talk about the team later on.

Yes, some people are just winners and that's exactly what Bird is. He has succeeded in every basketball position that he has held. Cool story about the camera lens.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I don't think Miami is scared of us, but they certainly know we exist and are going to be a thorn in their sides for the forseeable future. The difference is, we're going to have to do this for 4 games in a 7 games series. We couldn't do that last year, but maybe this year we can.

Mood

I don't believe for a second Miami is scared of us. I do believe they see us (and probably a Rose+ Chicago) as their biggest threats.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I posted elsewhere last night and am stilling wondering why Mia. didn't move James to the 4 to slow West down. Anthony could have helped but maybe he's hurt? Lebron IMO is the only player the Heat have who is strong enough and quick enough to guard West when he's on a roll. Would cause the Heat some other problems(PG) but I kept expecting it, and it never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Hold your horses everybody, anybody implying that Miami is "scared of us" needs to calm down for a moment.

Lets not forget that not only did they beat us in 6 games without Bosh last year, but the 2011 Bulls swept them in the regular season and then went on to lose in 5 to Miami in the playoffs. To put it bluntly, Miami doesn't care about this win nearly as much as we do. Not that they shouldn't be alarmed, or that they can just rely on history to repeat itself, but we have to remember this means jack until we can take them out in the playoffs.
    I think these two things are related. Miami wanted this game, sure, but they (and specifically their coaching staff) didn't care about it as much as we did. Spo isn't a bad coach; he out-coached Vogel in last year's playoffs. I expect he's saving a few wrinkles for the playoffs, similar to how we waited all year to put Paul George on D.Rose. He doesn't want to show his whole hand yet.

I'm not saying he didn't want to win the game last night, far from it. It was a bad loss for them. But while LeBron allows for extreme roster and coverage flexibility, I don't expect him to play that card much until the time is right.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!