Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers eventually to end up in Sacramento?

Default Re: Pacers eventually to end up in Sacramento?

Do you people expect things to change over night? Oh they won some, now everyone is going to start coming immediately. No that is not how things work, it takes time. There is already a perceivable difference in awareness about the Pacers, and an increase in attendance. As the keep winning more and more people will take notice, and more and more people will come to games.

As far as why the Pacers have attendance trouble to begin with, even though this is a basketball state. Whoever said it is an NBA problem, and that Hoosiers are too knowledgeable of basketball are correct. Most Hoosiers know that no single player or two should be good enough at that level to win a championship with a bunch of below average players, against teams that have as much talent top to bottom as the Pacers, Memphis, or OKC. Yet, it happened last year because the NBA puts the focus on the stars not the team. This focus makes it difficult for teams to build up a loyal fan base, and unless you play in one of the biggest markets you aren't going to be able to even come close to selling out during down seasons.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just because the seats are empty doesn't necessarily mean those tickets weren't sold, either. Remember that season ticket sales are WAY up this year as well....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cinotimz,
    I think you're speaking about the hardcore fans and they for the most part DO support the team as far as viewership, tickets, merch.... I doubt any team in the country could sell out if they counted on hardcore fans to do it. It's the casual fans that get you sellouts. IMHO....

Some of those casual fans might become hardcore, but natural attrition is also slowly going to lose you some hardcore fans over time. So you have to keep the potential fanbase energized and continually seek out these casual fans. They are your new revenue streams. They are your sellouts.
    Im talking about anyone not going to the games...anyone...hardcore, casual, whatever...and I have absolutely no problem with people not going to the games. People arent obligated to go to Pacers games. Some people cant afford it, thats more than alright...times have been hard. The problem I have is when people start offering up excuses and pointing the fingers at what the Pacers arent doing or the NBA or the Miami Heat, or hi def TV, or mass transit etc. Thats a load of horseshit.

The product at BLF is absolutely spectacular these days. And Larry Bird put together a team that is tailor made for Hoosiers. I mean when i hear people say the NBA is messed up and the Heat are everything wrong with the NBA, i just shake my head. The Heat are perfect for the NBA and even more perfect for Pacer fans. I mean where will u ever find a better Hoosiers movie reenactment than last night at BLF??? I mean the big bad Heat against the supposed underdog no-name Pacers. Thats what people in the Hoosier Hysteria state love....Stern isnt as dumb as everyone thinks he is. Theyve managed to turn the best players into the enemy...the villain. And everyone loves a good villain and a feel good story when the villain goes down....and when they win like they did last year what happens? NOw its even a bigger story.

Its so clear and already been pointed out....this Pacer team was built with one thing in mind...beating the Heat. So if we meet in the playoffs this year, after last years pretty amazing series...well...u know the Heat will be favored. Yet, dont you think there will be alot of excitement around the state with the possibility of "David" beating Goliath???? Sounds like a pretty good scenario to me. And i have no doubt that if that happens it would create that much more buzz. But the point is, that already exists. Many around here were saying give it a couple years.....well guess what...its been a couple years. Frank and company have been here for just about 2 years now. Enough with the lame *** excuses and lets put the responsibility where it truly lays. If ur not going to games then its not because of Hi Def Tv or mass transit or billboards or anything the Pacers arent doing or whats wrong with the NBA. Its on YOU. period. So stop with the lame *** excuses and lets call a spade a spade.

I mean who of us cant wait for Jimmy....i mean Danny Granger... to come back to the team and hit the big shot against the Heat in the playoffs? And anyone that says watching the game on TV is about the same as seeing it in person...well...i dont know what to tell you. Hi def or not. This aint golf. Theres no comparison to watching live versus TV....90 inch screen or not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

As stated before I live near Terre Haute and during my Pacerfandom I've met several players in Terre Haute for events held there. For example.... Chuck Person, Reggie Miller, Rany Whitman, Greg Dreiling, Rik Smits, Antonio Davis, Dale Davis, Billy Keller, Slick Leonard, Darnell Hillman, Austin Croshere.... Thats it... none of the teams or players after that were ever promoted in the T.Haute area.

Now the Indy Colts that's a different story. Even after the Colts moved their training camp out of Terre Haute they still have players show up for different functions and always twice a year have their exhibit on wheels (whatever you call it) arrive with some players to meet the public. The Pacers just don't even try it seems and that is their fault.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

A lot of good insight in this thread.

I wonder how much advertising is going on in Indy. When I worked down there for over ten years, I never heard anything about the Pacers on a media aspect, but I was in my own bubble as I only worked there, even though, shouldn't I have been touched in some way? I think I should have been and this was years ago back in the entire 90's.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am 30 miles outside 116th st. And it is impossible to get there in time to view a game. I have 70,000 reasons to back this statement up and in no way is this an excuse because of being a hassle or whatever some want to call it. It is a fact of life and the last I checked, Pacers don't pay my bills.

I have never understood the blackout of the Pro sports outside of the city where the team is located. It should not be the responsibility of the state when It's the city that pays for it and is rewarded for it. The pop. Is like 1.5 mil in the metro Indy not including the surrounding suburbs, yet other cities are penalized for a non sellout. I never understood this.

As I mentioned in another similar thread about a year ago. I would be happy to pay $5.00 a game and watch it from home in order to support my team. I'm sure our technology can accommodate such a thing.

Also, this isn't just an Indy or NBA issue. It has been talked about in the NFL quite abit as well and that's trying to sellout 8 games and almost all on a Sunday afternoon. Not 41 and most being on a week night.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Which is total ********, considering I can park a block from the fieldhouse for $5.

You are speaking for yourself. Please don't try speaking for others on how they feel about this issue. You don't seem to realize others have valid reasons that don't agree with your thoughts and feelings. Your looking at it from your perspective only.

I'll never be worried as long as a Simon owns the team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

I have to pay $40 to park at a Heat game, and then I have to walk through a ghetto filled with homeless people.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You are speaking for yourself. Please don't try speaking for others on how they feel about this issue. You don't seem to realize others have valid reasons that don't agree with your thoughts and feelings. Your looking at it from your perspective only.
    It's fact not opinion. You can park within a block for $5
    @qandrews9428

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    No, he's speaking fact. You can park a block away for $5. Sometimes $3. Hell, you can park AT the Fieldhouse Parking Garage for $6.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    The difference is that those markets actually matter and those cities have businesses and people who can afford to own a team.
    LOLOLOLOL

you shouldn't talk about things you aren't very informed on. Sacramento is the 20th largest market in the country. Indianapolis? 25th. Baltimore? 26th. Charlotte? 24th. Cleveland? 17th. Sacramento is larger than 9 NBA markets. And unlike many of them it doesn't have to share the market with another professional team. Yet it doesn't matter? And by the way, the city does have business people who can afford to own the team. They are trying to buy the Kings right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    For the notion that Sacramento has such a great fanbase, they're attendance numbers have been just as bad, and sometimes worse than ours since the recession hit.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance
    And this primarily goes on the Maloofs. The rumors that the team is moving (which have been going on for years and just get more serious each year) have turned a lot of people off. Many don't want to put any more money in the pockets of the Maloofs when they just want to up and leave. And the recession did hit this area very hard. Before the recession things were growing out of the Bay Area (because its so damn expensive) and moving towards Sacramento. That completely stopped. Being the state capital, plenty of state workers here lost their jobs as well. The city got hit hard. Hell right before the recession hit, Arco was sold out every night for years. 2001-2007 were complete sell outs, and I'm pretty sure it started before 2001, but the site doesnt go back further.

As for the Pacers. I dont think they are in danger of moving.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    We have been a winning team for two seasons now, and have all high character guys. EVERY game should be a sell out. If I was Mr. Simon, I would be pissed. Selling out every game should not be a pipe dream with a winning team
    Even the Spurs do not sell out every game and have to work hard to sell season tickets and they have not had a losing season since Duncan showed up. Fortunately for the Spurs they are the only game in town, unlike the Pacers who have to compete with the Colts for ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I know this topic has been covered before, but tonight i was listening to the post game radio show and it was the first time I've heard actual comments from folks with in the Pacer organization about the lack of attendance. Even questioning whether this is valid NBA market when cities like Sacramento, Pittsburgh, and Kansas city looking for an NBA team. White, Boyle, and Monteith all chided the fan base and eluded to the real possibility that this team was going to receive offers from those cities. All basically said to the fan base "What more could you want in a professional basketball team?" Also mentioning the dilemma of not getting more than 11-12K for mid-week games.

I'm wondering if this is a warning sent from the ownership and front office? Seems strange to talk a about such a topic at such length when your team just beat an elite conference rival.
    It will never happen
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    It will never happen
    Probably not, as long as Herb Simon is still the owner. He has said he wants to get things settled before his kids inherit. So this is an issue that has to be addressed in the near, but not immediate, future. Hopefully the new CBA and the revenue sharing will make the issue moot.

Mood

I think there is more fan base out there than you're giving credit for...I realize that you are talking figures and numbers, but I can also tell you that when I go to the games, I see several people from Terre Haute that are in attendance.

I work in Charleston, IL, which is not only a 2 hour and change drive, but there is also an hour time change to deal with. I attend at least 5 games a year, and when those games fall during a weekday, I use accrued leave to leave early to make it to the games. Hell, I left work yesterday at 1PM central time, so that I could make it to Indy, eat dinner with my family, and attend a 7PM game.....I parked in the Circle Centre deck which cost me $12.....

There are people out there willing to go great lengths to see this team, the Pacers marketing team just needs to step their game up in reaching out to them....Go to the mall in Terre Haute, and try to find any Pacers garb....you'll find a couple Hansbrough jerseys that have been hanging on the shelf since he was drafted, and maybe a t-shirt or two....There is really nothing there....Hell, Billy Keller used to have a basketball camp in Terre Haute every year, and that has now stopped....You want to reach the fans, get the kids....If the Pacers did some basketball camps for the surrounding communities, meet and greets with the players outside of Indy, and did a better job of reaching out to the fans outside of Indy, you would increase your fan base 10 fold....Adults spend their money on what their families/children enjoy, and if you can get the children hooked on the Pacers, you've just won an entire family....

This thread is still so baffling to me.

We are doing this after a standing room only sell out, in a season where we have increased attendance about 2K a game and most likely will have a sell out this coming Monday.

I've had tickets in some capacity since 1985 & I'm telling you that compared to the 80's and early 90's even up to 1994 that the crowds we have had this year are pretty good.

I think there is some mistaken notion that every team sells out every game during the season and that is just not the case. Big names come to town big teams come to town most teams will sell out, Indiana is no different. But on a Wednesday night in the middle of February and the Washington Wizards come to town other than Chicago/N.Y./L.A. and a select few others those games don't sell out. Indiana is no different.

Now we could have had this conversation 3 year years ago or even 2 years ago, last season we started to turn the corner, but this season? I'm just honestly stunned at how much traction this topic has gotten.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

We are doing this after a standing room only sell out, in a season where we have increased attendance about 2K a game and most likely will have a sell out this coming Monday.

I've had tickets in some capacity since 1985 & I'm telling you that compared to the 80's and early 90's even up to 1994 that the crowds we have had this year are pretty good.

I think there is some mistaken notion that every team sells out every game during the season and that is just not the case. Big names come to town big teams come to town most teams will sell out, Indiana is no different. But on a Wednesday night in the middle of February and the Washington Wizards come to town other than Chicago/N.Y./L.A. and a select few others those games don't sell out. Indiana is no different.

Now we could have had this conversation 3 year years ago or even 2 years ago, last season we started to turn the corner, but this season? I'm just honestly stunned at how much traction this topic has gotten.
    It's weird that the radio guys brought it up right now, isn't it?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's weird that the radio guys brought it up right now, isn't it?
    You have to understand that Eddie White's day job is in ticket sales (or at least it used to be). He's not like a normal account manager I think he only does high end and group stuff.

Back when I tried to listen to him last year he was bringing this up all of the time but honestly I just can't listen to that program so I have no idea what he is saying this year.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Will never happen as long as Simon is around. This is Indiana and I doubt the NBA would want us to move. Basketball is something special here and we will regain our fans. I'm only 24 and I go to as many games as I can with my friends. You can not find anything better to do in indy for only $15.
    I'm a Beast

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

I got through the first three pages yesterday and gave up. I also gave up worrying about the Pacers moving when our beloved owner Simon spent 16 million dollars on the new ginourmous scoreboard. Why is he going to sell the team soon after that kind of investment for a building he doesn't own? One of his sons loves the Pacers, and one of them is not as interested from what I hear... so no worries here. Qué viva Indiana Pacers!

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

You have to understand that Eddie White's day job is in ticket sales (or at least it used to be). He's not like a normal account manager I think he only does high end and group stuff.

Back when I tried to listen to him last year he was bringing this up all of the time but honestly I just can't listen to that program so I have no idea what he is saying this year.
    Good ole' Eddie is Director of Communications, because he knows so many darn people. I think his connections have helped the Pacers. As far as his show, which was fun last season and I haven't heard as much this season, think back to Kevin Lee's last season before it got cancelled. He wanted to kill himself (mostly thanks to our playing and therefore the dumb callers.)

Eddie has always called out Indy fans for not coming to Pacers games, which I really appreciate. I don't think it's anything more.
    Last edited by El Pacero; 02-03-2013 at 05:40 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, when you have the most people in attendance, and the most people watching at home due to the game being nationally televised, also the draw of LeWade....You have the most people to hear the attendance complaint....Maybe it's just a strategy to reach out to the largest audience possible....

Having attended games in Boston, Miami, Chicago, Philly, and Oakland, getting to games in Indy by car is the easiest, fastest, most hassle-free experience, with cheaper and more abundant parking, than any NBA experience I've ever had.

Parking in most places starts at $30 and goes up the closer you get.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-03-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The one thing left out of the conversation concerning parking is many folks who are casuals have no idea there IS cheaper parking. Honestly it took me several years after BLF was built to find out I didn't have to pay the high prices like the Hard Rock garage or even BLF's covered garage.

Yes I know it's the consumers responsibility to find a place to park but if you're experience has only been to pay the high parking prices that does get stuck in your head. Love that I did learn there were cheaper and yet still close places to park, but lets admit that can change at times to. Has anyone experienced times when the beloved south (Arby area) all the sudden jumped in price for certain games. Does it slightly tick you off? Many will say no, but once again the casual fan will go I'm not doing this again.

Edit: Can anyone provide me a link from Pacers.com that has a map that shows where parking is around or at the fieldhouse?
    Last edited by RWB; 02-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

39. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Except that I remember in the 1998 to 2004 period, people from Terre Haute would regularly take chartered bus trips to Indy to see the Pacers. Once on one of the ones I went on there were 5 buses. They did this on their own, it wasn't marketing from the Pacers. People had already started to be turned off when the brawl happened. After that they were done. It can be done. You have to show those people who are willing to travel to see the Pacers that you are ALL the way back first though. Larry Bird understood this.
    Just a follow-up link that confirms exactly what travmil is saying. They still have chartered trips to see the Colts and baseball in St. Louis, Chicago, and to see the Reds. What's missing? The Pacers. http://www.travelturner.com/Turner/PagePkg/Sports.aspx