Thread: let oj play

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default let oj play

Give oj some burn in the second half to see what he can do.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: let oj play

Patience!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OJ has been playing, and more than most 2nd round picks on playoff teams. I'm a big fan of the kid too but lets not get carried away and act like he should be logging more minutes than the guys in front of him.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OJ has been playing, and more than most 2nd round picks on playoff teams. I'm a big fan of the kid too but lets not get carried away and act like he should be logging more minutes than the guys in front of him.
    yeah, this. OJ has been shooting well, but he is the worst defensive player on the team right now. His PER is 7.3 and his OPP PER is 19.3. That's pretty bad.

Mood

Ok whose minutes should be cut?

Green's mins have been cut to let OJ play.

But OJ defense and size did get exposed in the Miami game. They kept attacking him
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

As the season rolls along, I wouldn't mind seeing more OJ and no DJ. Let Lance initiate the offense but not necessarily run it. OJ has the ability to guard point guards on defense.

OJ doesn't play like a rookie, so I guess I don't understand why he's being brought along like one.

Sports Logo

But...OJ is playing...and a lot for a 2nd round rookie.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Really happy for OJ that his hard work is paying off.

The guy is a really quick learner and is really adjusting to the speed of the NBA pretty well. He's doing a great job making shots and just making smart decisions on the court. His defense is a work in progress, but the guy does try on that end.

Great second round find.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

I just want to reiterate that I'm a big fan of OJ. I'm not sure that came out properly on my initial post. I think the kid has a great attitudenand works his butt off. He has the scoring ability to be a crucial part of the bench once Danny comes back. I wouldnt mind seeing a bench lineup of

DJ
    OJ
    Lance
    Tyler
    Ian

With that lineup you're going a little small but it could be extremely quick and basically run other benches out of the gym. You could have Lance play point forward and have OJ making cuts all over the floor, while DJ spots up for 3. Tyler and Ian are both high energy guys that wouldn't have a hard time keeping pace with the 3 little guys.
    Grown Man Ball

I'm in that small minority that's still optimistic about Gerald Green. But OJ's played well enough that I want to see more of him. I'd be comfortable moving Green and continuing to give OJ all of his minutes as we go forward.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I'm a big OJ fan and I'm pretty content with how the Pacers are developing him.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Since this thread is about OJ, who was a 2nd rd pick, I was looking at the 010 2nd round draft. The only 2 players to be drafted out of the 2nd round to produce is Landry Fields and Stepenson. Fields started quickly and Lance has come along slowly. Normally, there are more 2nd rounders that produce and stick in the NBA than in the 2010 draft.

Players like Ndiaye, Lawal, and Jordan never made it like I felt they could. Then neither did Magnum Rolle who Bird sent pick Ryan Reid for. I can't remember a overall worse 2nd round draft than the 2010 draft.

I decided to expand my research to past 2nd round drafts, and I was surprised to find there are still 9 players playing in the NBA from the 2003 2nd round draft!

OJ looks to become a nice player for the Pacers for the future. I see no need to force feed him minutes. Bringing him along gradually is just fine, no need to be in a hurry. JMOAA

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm in that small minority that's still optimistic about Gerald Green. But OJ's played well enough that I want to see more of him. I'd be comfortable moving Green and continuing to give OJ all of his minutes as we go forward.
    I'm still holding out hope that Gerald turns things around, but I wouldn't say I'm very optimistic. At this point I want to see him traded but only because I fear that the team will need to end up buying him out of his contract at some point because of lack of performance.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that Gerald turns things around, but I wouldn't say I'm very optimistic. At this point I want to see him traded but only because I fear that the team will need to end up buying him out of his contract at some point because of lack of performance.
    No chance of this happening. Doesn't save any cap space. Pacers don't want to waste the money. If Gerald doesn't play well, he will sit on the bench. Hopefully, the same thing that happened to DJ happens to Gerald. In any case, I expect with the return of Danny, the whole Green/OJ thing becomes moot. Once Danny starts playing, odds are the Pacers will be going with a 3 wing rotation.

Mood

Just wanted to know what you guys thought about his play.i think he could help us as the season goes on,if green doesnt get back in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    No chance of this happening. Doesn't save any cap space. Pacers don't want to waste the money. If Gerald doesn't play well, he will sit on the bench. Hopefully, the same thing that happened to DJ happens to Gerald. In any case, I expect with the return of Danny, the whole Green/OJ thing becomes moot. Once Danny starts playing, odds are the Pacers will be going with a 3 wing rotation.
    You're most likely right. Luckily for us, his contract really isn't handicapping us (although some people would have you believe otherwise).

3 years at $3.3 million per isn't a horrible contract.
    Grown Man Ball