Thread: This is FASCINATING. If you're a numbers guy, watch this immediately.

Default This is FASCINATING. If you're a numbers guy, watch this immediately.

A new type of metrics. This is gonna change things up.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8906437

The running stats are wild.
    Last edited by Anthem; 02-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This is FASCINATING. If you're a numbers guy, watch this immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A new type of metrics. This is gonna change things up.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/newreply...eply&p=1577332

The running stats are wild.
    hmmm, that link is taking me to a 'reply to thread' page with a quote from beast23

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This is FASCINATING. If you're a numbers guy, watch this immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    hmmm, that link is taking me to a 'reply to thread' page with a quote from beast23

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    Same here
    Fixed. Sorry about that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the rebounding stat is really the only cool thing that matters a ton along with pass to assist . I think Synergy will stay the top dog. Nothing will beat being able to watch Stanko Barac on loop in whichever part of the game you prefer about 30mins after he completes the game.

I also think it would be too pricey for it to go global like Synergy is. Wonder how much it cost to get your arena like that. I don't think colleges could afford it. But no doubt the pass to assist and rebounding numbers would be helpful.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Sports Logo

That's fascinating indeed. Thanks for posting
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I think the rebounding stat is really the only cool thing that matters a ton along with pass to assist.
    You didn't think the running thing was cool? Regardless, this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. What that video shows is an entirely new type of data-driven analysis.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Here's an older article about it.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670059/...making-the-nba

How much is Synergy?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    How much is Synergy?
    the real version NBA teams have? Tens of thousands of dollars a year but what makes it so unique is all the man hours the taggers do so pretty much any basketball game in the world can be seen after the game. So much more data in the version college teams and NBA teams have.

The version us common folks get is pretty cheap like $20 a year but it's really watered down compared to what the NBA guys have. I got to use it for two weeks during a class I took a lot more stuff in it. Really really cool stuff and the watered down version is still great for only 20 dollars.

I wonder why they don't charge more and add the other games?

Plus it has all the college games and euro games so they have so much data on these players it's really insane.

EDIT:

on the running thing I mean it's cool but I really don't find it very useful in the context of basketball at all. Maybe it can help learn to preserve guys better thoughout the season. I don't know someone smart could probably figure out something from it I guess lol.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-02-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You didn't think the running thing was cool? Regardless, this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. What that video shows is an entirely new type of data-driven analysis.
    To me that was a lot more interesting than the rebounding stat. Very cool video, thanks for sharing.

I am trying to sign up for Synergy. All I get when I visit the page, is what looks like a loading bar, and then a white blank screen appear. Anyone on a Mac that is able to solve this problem? Thanks.

Mood

I hope these stats become public knowledge as quickly as possible in the coming seasons.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I certainly like to see the number of miles, or the speed of a player. But that rebounding percentage is not without flaws. Should the fact that Bosh/Haslem are often attempting to get rebounds against bigger and better rebounders play into that percentage? I mean there is a difference between boxing out Dwight Howard vs boxing out Klay Thompson or Mike Dunleavy. I think it is a useful stat, but to me it is a better reference of rebounder by position. Claims like Lebron is the best rebounding 3 in the league or something like that, but not as useful to compare Zach Randolph's rebounding and Lebron's rebounding.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    I certainly like to see the number of miles, or the speed of a player. But that rebounding percentage is not without flaws. Should the fact that Bosh/Haslem are often attempting to get rebounds against bigger and better rebounders play into that percentage? I mean there is a difference between boxing out Dwight Howard vs boxing out Klay Thompson or Mike Dunleavy. I think it is a useful stat, but to me it is a better reference of rebounder by position. Claims like Lebron is the best rebounding 3 in the league or something like that, but not as useful to compare Zach Randolph's rebounding and Lebron's rebounding.
    Who knows what stats will actually be kept... I'm looking more at the technology and what kinds of things it will be able to measure.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Those are also all good points.

Also I wonder- They mentioned how Bosh rebounds well if he's in the area, but apparently he's not in the area much. Bosh said as much as well. So here's the question. Why isn't Bosh close to the basket? I mean it's like they're suggesting that Bosh was out defending someone far from the basket right? Well, this hasn't been a problem for Paul George who averages more rebounds per game than Bosh. Is this Bosh's fault? Shouldn't he be crashing the defensive boards each play?? I mean I really don't know. I'm trying to understand the Heat's rebounding woes.

I mean if you have two very good wing rebounders in Wade/LBJ and apparently Haslem and Bosh according to this new data are strong rebounders, than why are they getting crushed on the boards? Who is not doing their job?
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

EDIT:

on the running thing I mean it's cool but I really don't find it very useful in the context of basketball at all. Maybe it can help learn to preserve guys better thoughout the season. I don't know someone smart could probably figure out something from it I guess lol.
    The running stat could be huge for gamblers. I've been making pretty good money all year betting against teams playing on the second night of a back-to-back. Running statistics would be such a useful metric in determining fatigue factor.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...logy-available

From article using these stats:
    • Hilarious small sample-size theater: Tyler Hansbrough, in 13 recorded games, has drawn fouls on 50 percent of his post touches. He might be the league’s most unwatchable player, but he can put up points in a hurry on the right night for Indy.

• One last depressing confirmation of the eye test: In 13 recorded games — sample-size alert! — Roy Hibbert has shot the ball on 69 percent of his post touches, one of the dozen highest marks in the league. And he has made just 47 percent of his attempts, one of the 15 worst overall marks. If there’s one player in the league who really, really needs to step up his offensive game in the second half of this season, it’s Hibbert. He’s soaking up a lot of possessions on a bad offensive team whose bad offense is the one thing standing in the way of its becoming a really interesting threat to Miami.
    DG for 3

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

SportVU is sponsored by handful of teams, about 10-12 as it is even more expensive since it uses motion/image recognition (think facial recognition and kinect on xBox 360) on video cameras to pick up stats. As an electrical engineer really cool stuff they have done with this technology.