Thread: Why Memphis Traded Gay? by Alex Kennedy.

Thumbs up Why Memphis Traded Gay? by Alex Kennedy.

He also talks about a PHX/ATL trade rumor

LINK

Why didnít the Memphis Grizzlies wait until after the season to trade Rudy Gay? Thatís one of the biggest questions being asked after the Grizzlies decided to trade Gay to the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday evening. They were already out of luxury tax territory after trading Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby to the Cleveland Cavaliers so why not wait and give their core group one more postseason to try to contend in the Western Conference?

While thatís a fair question, the answer is simple: Gay had grown unhappy with the situation in Memphis and it was time for both parties to move on.

Grizzlies brass had met with Gay last weekend and the small forward made it clear that he would welcome a trade.

Gay was also tired of hiding his frustration. While players like Mike Conley made it clear that they didnít want management to make a trade and would be upset to see the team broken up, Gay didnít seem like he cared what happened before the deadline. If the Grizzlies traded him, thatíd be fine with him. Last week prior to the Grizzliesí game against the Los Angeles Lakers, Gay was asked if he thought the front office would keep the teamís core together. He used this opportunity to voice his frustration and take a shot at management.

ďIt really doesnít matter what they think about us,Ē Gay said of Memphisí front office last week. ďItís all about whatís in the locker room and what we think we can do. It really doesnít matter what they think.Ē

Gay was sick of the trade rumors. He was tired of seeing his name surface in report after report.

For quite awhile, Gay had told people in his inner circle that he would welcome a trade from Memphis. Last offseason, he reached out to several players on teams that were pursuing him to discuss the possibility of playing together. Gay was never too fond of Memphis. He seriously considered leaving when he became a free agent in 2010, but he couldnít turn down a maximum extension. Gay signed for the money, not because he was attached or in love with Memphis.

Also, the Grizzlies were concerned that if they waited until the offseason to trade Gay, he would be able to hold the team hostage since he has a player option for the 2014-15 season. If Gay decided he was going to opt out of the final $19,317,326 of his contract to sign a new long-term deal, he would have some control over where he landed since he could scare teams off by refusing to make a long-term commitment. The Grizzlies didnít want this situation to mirror what the Denver Nuggets had to go through when they traded Carmelo Anthony. Anthony was in the final year of his contract and he refused to commit long-term to any team other than the New York Knicks, which left Denver with limited options.

Another aspect that has been overlooked is Gayís shaky relationship with Zach Randolph. Behind the scenes, Gay and Randolph had butted heads for quite awhile. While Gay and Randolph tolerated each other, they werenít close and had several spats over the years.

There were a lot of things happening behind the scenes that forced the Grizzliesí hand. Gay was already upset with the trade rumors and delaying the inevitable would have made things worse, especially considering their options couldíve been severely limited if Gay played his cards right. Not to mention, Gay and Randolph had butted heads, so itís not like the Grizzlies broke up a perfect team that was guaranteed to make a deep postseason run. This was a dysfunctional situation.

Now, the Grizzlies not only shed some salary, but they also acquired Tayshaun Prince, who is a good fit in Memphis, as well as a very promising young player in Ed Davis.

This was the right time to trade Gay, even if it seemed questionable from the outside looking in.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why Memphis Traded Gay? by Alex Kennedy.

Big fan of Alex Kennedy. He has really grown to be an awesome journalist and a darn good source. This a great example of his work.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Just read the PHX/ATL trade part. Looks like PHX is desperate for a star type player. Gordon, Gay, now JSmith. Alex makes it out like they don't have any untouchables either. Wow.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read the PHX/ATL trade part. Looks like PHX is desperate for a star type player. Gordon, Gay, now JSmith. Alex makes it out like they don't have any untouchables either. Wow.
    Who would be untouchable on their roster? I don't see anyone.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Gortat?

@LetsTalkPacers

What's funny is I usually like him as a writer but this one seems filled with speculation and gossip. He makes it sound like Rudy Gay was a malcontent yet when you read the meat of the article it is very clear that Rudy Gay was unhappy with Memphis floating his name around in trade rumors for the past month.

Of course he said "trade me" after week upon week of him reading, seeing, hearing & obviously even being told that they wanted to move him on. Wouldn't you? I know I would after a certain amount of time.

Locker room issues, not getting along with ZBo and I'm sure he kicked kittens at night for fun.

Sorry but I think that this is not one of his better articles and in fact is really poorly done.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

eye of the beholder i guess

@LetsTalkPacers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What's funny is I usually like him as a writer but this one seems filled with speculation and gossip. He makes it sound like Rudy Gay was a malcontent yet when you read the meat of the article it is very clear that Rudy Gay was unhappy with Memphis floating his name around in trade rumors for the past month.

Of course he said "trade me" after week upon week of him reading, seeing, hearing & obviously even being told that they wanted to move him on. Wouldn't you? I know I would after a certain amount of time.

Locker room issues, not getting along with ZBo and I'm sure he kicked kittens at night for fun.

Sorry but I think that this is not one of his better articles and in fact is really poorly done.
    He is not the only one talking about those rumors though, if you got to see my retweets another writer was talking about the same thing.

Banned

@PeterVecsey1: Warriors have eyed Gay 4 couple yrs. Grizz wanted Barnes & Jack & would've assumed final year pact of AB or RJ. GS split decision against

Interesting, that would have been a better deal for sure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    @PeterVecsey1: Warriors have eyed Gay 4 couple yrs. Grizz wanted Barnes & Jack & would've assumed final year pact of AB or RJ. GS split decision against

Interesting, that would have been a better deal for sure.
    Maybe for the future--but Grizz are pseudo-contenders now. The trade they made keeps them there. That GS trade knocks them down a peg. Your overall losses from Prince to Gay are really not that big. May be addition by subtraction for the Grizz.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Maybe for the future--but Grizz are pseudo-contenders now. The trade they made keeps them there. That GS trade knocks them down a peg. Your overall losses from Prince to Gay are really not that big. May be addition by subtraction for the Grizz.
    Well they were going to get RJ plus Jack plus Barnes, RJ to replace Rudy now together with Jack plus a good piece for the future? better deal but of course GS said no.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Really? I mean he's over paid for sure but there are several people who rank him above Danny when both are healthy & under no circumstance would I ever consider Prince (who I like btw) for Danny.

Rudy's value is dropping to much IMO, yes his contract is bad (which really is even more of a reason we should be grateful to Danny for signing that value contract years ago) but he's still an above average ball player. He's in that second tier of star players still IMO.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really? I mean he's over paid for sure but there are several people who rank him above Danny when both are healthy & under no circumstance would I ever consider Prince (who I like btw) for Danny.

Rudy's value is dropping to much IMO, yes his contract is bad (which really is even more of a reason we should be grateful to Danny for signing that value contract years ago) but he's still an above average ball player. He's in that second tier of star players still IMO.
    If you're comparing Prince to Gay, I agree Gay is far and away better.

But in the context of the Memphis team there's not as much of a difference. Gay gets lots of points off of runouts or iso's, and is not a big passer. Gasol and Randolph are both better options given their spacing and both are better passers than Gay. (I'm not sure on Randolph, but Gasol definitely). Prince will get points off of hte opportunities that GAsol and Randolph create, but without the ball stopping Gay adds in.

So you lose the dynamic ability of Gay, but the guy you add in is (potentially) a better fit.

On a side note, Jerryd Bayless has been putting up monster stats

Makes me feel just a little nostalgic from that fateful draft night...
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Sports Logo

Gay is certainly a better overall player than Prince (the current Prince not prime Prince, of course) but I feel that Prince is a much better fit for Memphis.

Gay is a mediocre 3 point shooter (34.4% career). I mean, Gerald Green has a higher career average (34.7%). Tayshaun, on the other hand, is 37% 3 point shooter for his career. The Grizzlies' offense is dying for some floor spacing. You saw it when they played against us. Ellington was big because he could knock down his 3 pointers. Conley can shoot but when you start Tony Allen (under 30% from 3 in his career) at SG you need your SF to be able to knock down some 3s.

Prince spaces the floor better and this is going to create much better looks on the inside for ZBo and Marc.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if being traded to the Raptors is what Gay had in mind when he demanded a trade..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    I don't know if being traded to the Raptors is what Gay had in mind when he demanded a trade..
    He will still get his humongous contract. When it's over he will either get another big one (relatively and depends on his performances) in a mediocre team or he will go to a true contender for much much less and go for a ring.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo

$19,317,326 for Rudy Gay.

SMH

Signing Hollinger seems like a good move so far. For all his love of stats, he did seem to really help them focus on short term guys that can help them and improve the bench.

Banned

How the Grizzlies Cleared Over $16 Million
    Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/how-the-gr...edwBa0MTQiH.99
    Good article, amazing how Memphis saved all that money.