Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is PG what Jonathan Bender could have been?

Default Re: Is PG what Jonathan Bender could have been?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Travis Best did as well, IIRC.
    I had to look this up, given that he was a Pacer of some note (and who took a lot of heat). He scored 81. It was a pretty remarkable 81, with 9 assists:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...01/1/index.htm

His coach says there was no plan to have Travis score 81 points that night against Putnam Vocational. Everything somehow seemed to be working. Travis made his first eight three-pointers. He was in the "high 20's" after only five minutes of the 32-minute high school game had been played. There had always been the temptation to just "let him go." Just once. Just to see what the numbers would be at the end. This wasn't some pituitary case playing against helpless schoolchildren. Travis was a 5'11" guard. Just let him go. Just once.

"He finished with 31 of 47 from the floor, 10 of 12 three-pointers," the coach says. "He was nine of 13 from the foul line. He also had nine assists, which easily could have been 15 if other kids had finished off the plays. I took him out with 51 seconds left, for the ovation. He was exhausted. He was running the offense, playing defense and scoring 81 points. His shirt was so wet at the end, it looked as if someone had poured a bucket of water over him."

--
    That would have been fun to watch. I love watching guards just be unguardable, and it have nothing to do with size. Reggie's many moments. Pete Maravich. Rick Mount's 61 vs. Iowa in '69, that would have been 79 with a 3-point shot, when I was 6 years old. Drove me to the barn, where there was a hoop hanging, and made me want to shoot just like him. (Dad came by, though, and reminded me that I should also watch/emulate IU players, since IU is better- thanks Dad!)
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-01-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    It's like Bulls fans asking if Scottie Pippen is what Brad Sellers could have been.
    That is so good I think I'm going to turn that into my signature for the rest of the year. It's too bad 70-80% of this forum probably has no idea who Brad Sellers is/was.

In some ways I think that Paul George is what the Pacers had hoped Bender would be. However, Bender never had the ability to defend and rebound like PG can. Paul has been an excellent rebounder for his position since his rookie year. Bender was better at taking it to the hoop and finishing strong or drawing fouls but that's the only area I'd give him the nod.

Bender definitely was more explosive to the rim than George, and was developing a lights out 3pt shot, but otherwise he never had the health to demonstrate what all he could really do on a basketball court. They are/were different kinds of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I had to look this up, given that he was a Pacer of some note (and who took a lot of heat). He scored 81. It was a pretty remarkable 81, with 9 assists:
    Great read, thanks for looking that up. I was wrong about the hundred points, but that's still pretty incredible.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Durant is what I hoped Bender could be, at least after that one Christmas day and after even a couple of playoff games against Boston in that one full season that got him his 2nd deal: Too much length to disrupt his shot, long strides, and a finisher. A matchup nightmare. Bendy straw needed college to get his body mature enough to last and to learn how to play the game.

KD has working knees and about triple the basketball IQ, though. Probably has worked harder at his craft, as well.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Had Bender maximized his potential, he would have been special.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bender was as strong as PG is now. Bender and PG share the core value of being too lanky for the quick players and too quick for the bigs.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Bendy straw needed college to get his body mature enough to last and to learn how to play the game.
    If I recall correctly, Bender's knee trouble had more to do with his growth spurt. I don't think going to college would have prevented that, would it? I'm not speaking from medical experience or nothing.

Gotta Play Big

Jonathan Bender was the potential that Paul George has already exceeded.