Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is now the time for Lance to move to PG?

Default Re: Is now the time for Lance to move to PG?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was calling for Lance to be the backup PG earlier this year, but DJ has definitely improved. I think it makes sense for Lance to continue to run as a 2-guard for this year, and see where he's at when we get to the summer. I wouldn't be opposed to letting Lance run the 2nd unit if he progresses as much in the next 12 months as he has in the last 12.
    DJ has improved, but he still sucks monkey balls. OJ, Hans and Ian are the only bench players that have done anything of real value this season. Ian has usually been the only steady force on the bench. Hans has played well of late, but still not a fan particularly because of his defense. OJ, well you can see he has a chance to be a very good role player. DJ is just terrible because his offense will never make up for his defense, and Green was complete fools gold.

When Granger comes back, I'd be for Lance getting the backup pg spot and OJ keeping minutes as the backup sg.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    DJ has improved, but he still sucks monkey balls. OJ, Hans and Ian are the only bench players that have done anything of real value this season. Ian has usually been the only steady force on the bench. Hans has played well of late, but still not a fan particularly because of his defense. OJ, well you can see he has a chance to be a very good role player. DJ is just terrible because his offense will never make up for his defense, and Green was complete fools gold.

When Granger comes back, I'd be for Lance getting the backup pg spot and OJ keeping minutes as the backup sg.
    Aside from last night, and maybe 2 other games this month, I can't think of any other games where he hasn't done more harm than good on the court.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Lance ever gets moved to the "starting PG" slot, I don't think it will be because he has acquired the necessary NBA point guard mindset and skillset. It will be because the coaching staff and George Hill decide that the offense would be better served by having our best pure guard play off the ball, which is where Hill is currently best at. Any change in playing situation will be all about Hill.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    There was 1 particular offensive play in the 1st half where Lance ended up on the ground on a turnover, and he literally sat on the court then got up and walked back down on defense. The Pistons had their offense set up and in motion before Lance was past the half court line. It had me in a tizzy.
    This is something to watch, but it's not like we haven't seen it with other players. I don't know if Lance has the maturity or the leadership skills needed to be PG, but he has the raw skills. I think his skills are not only interesting but he has a chance to be special.
    LeWade are going down.

That was Larry's vision. A sane Lance at PG makes the offense alot better. I think one day he'll be our starting PG, but at this point it's hard to argue against how the coaching staff's developing him. I do wanna see what a Lance/Paul/Danny/David/Roy lineup looks like at some point during the season. That could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I'd be good with that. And either Granger or PG plays with the backups as the 3.

It would be cool to see what we could get for Tyler/Green/Augustin. Could you turn those three into an improved backup PF?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    That was Larry's vision. A sane Lance at PG makes the offense alot better. I think one day he'll be our starting PG, but at this point it's hard to argue against how the coaching staff's developing him. I do wanna see what a Lance/Paul/Danny/David/Roy lineup looks like at some point during the season. That could be fun.
    I'll take that bet.

I've said this for a long time--Lance is not a point guard. It ever occur to anyone that he is thriving in part because he's not asked to play the point? Good passing ability does not mean the guy should play point guard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'll take that bet.

I've said this for a long time--Lance is not a point guard. It ever occur to anyone that he is thriving in part because he's not asked to play the point? Good passing ability does not mean the guy should play point guard.
    I guess I'm not convinced that George Hill is any more of a point guard than Lance is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd be good with that. And either Granger or PG plays with the backups as the 3.
    I'd like to see Green play a bit with Lance. I still think part of his problem, along with most of the bench, is playing along side DJ. He dribbles way too much, and is way to selective in the passes he makes. If he's not leading to a shot, he holds the ball. I think it screws players up. Lance is much better at moving the ball, and he's much bigger/better threat to the defense than DJ is. Defenses pretty much dare him (DJ) to shoot coming off of that PnR.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher View Post
    I guess I'm not convinced that George Hill is any more of a point guard than Lance is.
    Skill wise he isn't, but he is a much more stabilizing force than Lance which is what makes him a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'd like to see Green play a bit with Lance. I still think part of his problem, along with most of the bench, is playing along side DJ. He dribbles way too much, and is way to selective in the passes he makes. If he's not leading to a shot, he holds the ball. I think it screws players up. Lance is much better at moving the ball, and he's much bigger/better threat to the defense than DJ is. Defenses pretty much dare him (DJ) to shoot coming off of that PnR.
    Had not really thought about that. I like Hill and LS playing together because they balance each other, IMO. Lance has a tendency to speed up with every play while Hill often holds the ball too long before the pass. I'd like to see them alternate as the play starter on posessions to keep the defense off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Skill wise he isn't, but he is a much more stabilizing force than Lance which is what makes him a better option.
    I can get behind this. As Lance gets more seasoning, though, I can see him continuing to improve in this area.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Aside from Tyler, this would make our bench as huge/long as our starters:

Hill/Lance
    George/Green
    Granger/Young
    West/Tyler
    Roy/Ian

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Donnie just did an interview with Chris Sheridan and had nothing but good things to say about Lance. He called him a "Mini Lebron." Also said that Lance learning to play without the ball will benefit him when he plays with the ball in the future.

I'm not sure if they'll be a podcast to listen to or not, but it was a really good interview.

Donnie also said he took this position thinking that Larry would be back in a year, but he's not sure if that's the case anymore. He's said this before, but said that he's (Donnie) not anyone's long term solution.

Said Roy wasn't signed to be an elite scoring center. He's doing a great job of protecting the rim.

DW was almost offended when asked if PG and Danny could coexist on the court. Sounded very optimistic about Danny's return.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    Donnie just did an interview with Chris Sheridan and had nothing but good things to say about Lance. He called him a "Mini Lebron." Also said that Lance learning to play without the ball will benefit him when he plays with the ball in the future.

I'm not sure if they'll be a podcast to listen to or not, but it was a really good interview.

Donnie also said he took this position thinking that Larry would be back in a year, but he's not sure if that's the case anymore. He's said this before, but said that he's (Donnie) not anyone's long term solution.

Said Roy wasn't signed to be an elite scoring center. He's doing a great job of protecting the rim.

DW was almost offended when asked if PG and Danny could coexist on the court. Sounded very optimistic about Danny's return.
    Yeah, Donnie asked me if I was sure about this, and when I said yes, then he asked if he could use it on air, today...

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Whether or not anyone wants to call Lance a PG is fine with me. But he setup guys numerous times in the first half so far and looked more like a PG than anyone else on the team. Sorry, but that's not the stuff normal wings do.
    LeWade are going down.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: