Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is now the time for Lance to move to PG?

Default Is now the time for Lance to move to PG?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam here; I'm a lurker who doesn't visit PD daily. But I haven't seen any recent posts dedicated to the topic, so here goes.

I splurged and bought 7th row center court seats to last night's game, and it was never more obvious to me that Lance is by far the most natural point guard on the floor for the Pacers.

While he does still get out of control at times and still makes the errant pass or ill-advised drive, those instances are growing fewer by the day. Meanwhile his court vision is unrivaled on the team (I wouldn't use the term "court vision" in the same sentence with Hill--and I really like Hill), he's a strong passer, and nobody pushes the ball up the floor like Lance does. And while Hill's floater is great, Lance is much better at getting into the lane, and he finds more creative ways to finish once he's there.

Why not move Hill to SG and let Lance run the point? Then Hill can come off the bench when Granger returns. It seems like a viable--maybe even a good--idea to me. What about you? I'm interested in hearing arguments from both sides.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flakcatcher For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is now the time for Lance to move to PG?

No... But I am going to repost a comment I just post seconds before you started your thread because it better fits here...

Lance is a better scorer, ball handler, distributor (vision), and creator of open shots for others because of his superior basketball instincts, IMO.

Last night is a great example of why he is better, but, also, why he will never "start" over Hill as the heralded PG. His immaturity, and selfish (stat driven) attitude, (The multiple times he was ANGRY over his teamates not taking open shots as he was feverishly working toward a Triple Double), shows exactly why his Leadership intangibles are always questioned.

I also believe that over the next few years Lance will prove that he impacts the game (offensively) in a similar way that LeBron does... Not nearly on the same level, (Likely off the Bench) but in a way that allows his size, quickness, creativity and competitive fire to create a mismatch at several positions.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Not this season, IMO. Lance has made some huge strides in his game, but we're talking a half season here. My personal choice is to leave Lance and Hill together in the back court and not put that much pressure on Lance this soon. I would really like to see DG become our "6th" man for the rest of this season. As we get to the end of the season and into playoffs Danny could take the bulk of 2nd unit minutes at the 3 and the 4 while playing whichever is needed during closing time.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Once Granger comes back he should become the backup 1 and 2 for the playoffs. I would expect he plays a little of both with a full healthy lineup. Vogel still doesn't fully trust him but I cant say I blame him baby steps get on the bus and he is almost on the bus lol.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I think it would be great for him to get some time at PG when Granger comes back, he plays less minutes , none at the PG then George Hill, and has a better assist to turnover rate. I personally think he would be great as a back up PG , but I understand the concerns about his ability to consistently run an offense, thats why it would make sense to give him a few minutes a the back up PG and DJ could back up Paul George as he is kind of a shoting PG. I do think Lance has great court vision and could eventually make an excellent PG
    Sittin on top of the world!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No... But I am going to repost a comment I just post seconds before you started your thread because it better fits here...

Lance is a better scorer, ball handler, distributor (vision), and creator of open shots for others because of his superior basketball instincts, IMO.

Last night is a great example of why he is better, but, also, why he will never "start" over Hill as the heralded PG. His immaturity, and selfish (stat driven) attitude, (The multiple times he was ANGRY over his teamates not taking open shots as he was feverishly working toward a Triple Double), shows exactly why his Leadership intangibles are always questioned.

I also believe that over the next few years Lance will prove that he impacts the game (offensively) in a similar way that LeBron does... Not nearly on the same level, (Likely off the Bench) but in a way that allows his size, quickness, creativity and competitive fire to create a mismatch at several positions.
    I agree on all points, but I don't think his being upset as his teammates was because he wanted the stats. He gave them wide open looks, shots they should've taken. The biggest reason this team is 2nd worst in the NBA is because often they don't take the open shot, and instead wind the clock down before settling for a questionable attempt. The plays where he was upset should've been shot attempts, no doubt about it. I saw it more as him being frustrated with the offense being stuck in 1st gear, with players hesitating/over thinking. I can't say Lance is stats driven, because he seems perfectly fine with getting 10 points per game. A stats driven guy wouldn't be shooting 48% from the floor, IMO.

Hill is stuck at PG and Lance is stuck at SG. The irony is that Lance has better passing ability, but this is where I again agree with you. His up-tempo, physical, involve-his-teammates play is reminiscent of a Lebron-lite, obviously minus the hops and superstar calls (but with a truer shot). Because of his ability to get to the basket, I think his value will be maximized at his current position, assuming his minutes don't go down.

My only criticism from yesterday's game is that he was the last one back on defense a few too many times. He wants his guys to run with him on offense. He's got to run with them on defense.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    My only criticism from yesterday's game is that he was the last one back on defense a few too many times. He wants his guys to run with him on offense. He's got to run with them on defense.
    Yeah, very true... I had forgotten about that.

Let me also add that I don't think Lance is an overall selfish player, with regard to stat production. But when he was feeling the double-double in his sights, he was falling all over our bigs to steal the boards. And in the 3rd when he only needed 6 assists, that is when he started literally losing it. He was yelling at Hill, Mahinmi and some of the bench guys.

I love Lance, and I hope he matures quickly, he has made great strides.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree on all points, but I don't think his being upset as his teammates was because he wanted the stats. He gave them wide open looks, shots they should've taken. The biggest reason this team is 2nd worst in the NBA is because often they don't take the open shot, and instead wind the clock down before settling for a questionable attempt. The plays where he was upset should've been shot attempts, no doubt about it. I saw it more as him being frustrated with the offense being stuck in 1st gear, with players hesitating/over thinking. I can't say Lance is stats driven, because he seems perfectly fine with getting 10 points per game. A stats driven guy wouldn't be shooting 48% from the floor, IMO.

Hill is stuck at PG and Lance is stuck at SG. The irony is that Lance has better passing ability, but this is where I again agree with you. His up-tempo, physical, involve-his-teammates play is reminiscent of a Lebron-lite, obviously minus the hops and superstar calls (but with a truer shot). Because of his ability to get to the basket, I think his value will be maximized at his current position, assuming his minutes don't go down.

I thought the same thing last night. He showed flashes of pure brilliance on offense, but he did seem pretty disinterested in getting back on defense a few times. I still thought he was our best player last night and IMO basically the only excitement in a pretty boring Wednesday night game at the Fieldhouse.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

I've been lurking this site for most of this year...so mind you, this is my first post.

I'm born and raised in Brooklyn, and saw Lance play since HS. I met his dad Stretch a few years back at the Cincy/Seton Hall game at the Prudential Center in Newark and told him "Um.....your son needs to play PG."

Since watching HS, I honestly felt that was his natural position. I think coaches tend to be enamored by a players size and automatically believe they should play positions based to it, but Lance is out of a PG factory in Lincoln HS. It was his play at the point at the end of the McDonald's All America game several years ago that pretty much won the game for the East. The guys court vision is out of the gym high, and it seems that its now coming all together for him.

I've been preaching this for over 5 plus years now. Your Pacers would be in good position making him your team's starting PG in the near future.

I agree about his lack of getting back on defense. I recall one play in particular when he pouted under the opposite rim for nearly the entire following offensive sequence by the Pacers. He needs to get his emotions under control. By that same token, his play is fueled by his emotion, and you don't want him to extinguish that fire entirely. It's a matter of balance.

Another note: Any speculation about why he was upset with his teammates is just that--speculation. It's fine to suspect it was because he was chasing stats, but suspicion alone doesn't make it true.

I like Lance, and don't necessarily think he can't play point, there's no reason why he can't, but I'm starting to believe it is unnecessary. If you're a good distributor such as Lance, there is no reason you can't do that while playing the two.

Kind of like Harden/Ginobili, Lance can play next to any point and it just puts one more distributor on the court.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I'm not in favor of Lance as a point. But considering the state of our bench, I think the question is really...do we want Green to lose time or DJ? (Or both and just run a 3 guard rotation with Lance/Hill/PG with maybe young getting a few minutes at the three)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I'm not in favor of Lance as a point. But considering the state of our bench, I think the question is really...do we want Green to lose time or DJ? (Or both and just run a 3 guard rotation with Lance/Hill/PG with maybe young getting a few minutes at the three)
    As I've said before, I would prefer to see a 3 guard rotation and play Young strictly as a situational defensive stopper.

Sports Logo

Given the Financial situation of the Pacers next season and that Lance appears to show some ability to run the point......do the Pacers have the luxury to sign another backup PG when they could simply run GH and Lance as the Primary and Backup PGs?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think it matters. It all comes down to coaching and letting players play to their strengths. Every Pacer in the starting 5 is a capable passer, rebounder and scorer. Any one of them can get a triple double on any given night. PG and Lance have already come close. Hibbert and West already have triple doubles and Hills was taken away.

Lance is fine. The way Vogel has been utilizing Lance the past 2 games has been great. Hill and Lance are interchangeable. Shooting guard is just a label. Both Hill and Lance are combo guards, so let them play as such. This is why Lance has been so great as a starter.

Just a preference, I do think Lance should be a facilitator and have Hill look to score more.

But we all know that the Offense needs a lot of work.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher View Post
    I agree about his lack of getting back on defense. I recall one play in particular when he pouted under the opposite rim for nearly the entire following offensive sequence by the Pacers. He needs to get his emotions under control. By that same token, his play is fueled by his emotion, and you don't want him to extinguish that fire entirely. It's a matter of balance.

Another note: Any speculation about why he was upset with his teammates is just that--speculation. It's fine to suspect it was because he was chasing stats, but suspicion alone doesn't make it true.
    BTW, I'm trying to get my "Thanks" and my "Posts" Stats up... I've been getting the job done on "Posts" today, you guys need to get busy on the other end, i'm hovering around 240... My ratio is not where I'd like it to be and I don't want Frank to be sore and sick Shaw on me.

I can't do this all by myself...

I don't think Lance is ready to be the starting point guard yet. But it does seem like Frank is experimenting with him in that role more and more. I'm guessing the Pacers move more in that direction next year when DJ leaves. Probably a year of Lance being the primary backup point guard. Then the following year he may be ready to start.

I thought Lance's body language in the last game indicated he might be a bit winded. Not surprising since he's recovering from a foot injury.

The thing about Lance is, he's extremely athletic. Not the kind of "jump out of the arena" athlete like Gerald Green but the body control and coordination type athlete. He seems to be able to focus on a skill and master it. Early in the season we saw the results of him focusing on his shooting when he showed tremendous improvement. Now he seems to be focusing on rebounding. And he's becoming very very good at it for a player of his size. I think he can learn to do whatever he needs to do to be successful. It'll be fun watching his game continue to grow.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I still don't think he has the right mentality to be a PG. What you want in a PG is a calm general, who is strategic, tactical, and logical. Not someone who plays on their emotions, which is what Lance does. Your PG needs to be a controlling force on the court. Lance is not that. He might do fine as a back-up at point, but you need more mentally from your starting point.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam here; I'm a lurker who doesn't visit PD daily. But I haven't seen any recent posts dedicated to the topic, so here goes.

I splurged and bought 7th row center court seats to last night's game, and it was never more obvious to me that Lance is by far the most natural point guard on the floor for the Pacers.

While he does still get out of control at times and still makes the errant pass or ill-advised drive, those instances are growing fewer by the day. Meanwhile his court vision is unrivaled on the team (I wouldn't use the term "court vision" in the same sentence with Hill--and I really like Hill), he's a strong passer, and nobody pushes the ball up the floor like Lance does. And while Hill's floater is great, Lance is much better at getting into the lane, and he finds more creative ways to finish once he's there.

Why not move Hill to SG and let Lance run the point? Then Hill can come off the bench when Granger returns. It seems like a viable--maybe even a good--idea to me. What about you? I'm interested in hearing arguments from both sides.
    thanks for posting. yes thats pretty much what im saying in the Lance Stephenson for MIP nominee thread. to answer your question.. no Lance is not ready. but he may be ready by next season and it looks like Vogel is experimenting with the idea already.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Hell No

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I thought the same thing last night. He showed flashes of pure brilliance on offense, but he did seem pretty disinterested in getting back on defense a few times. I still thought he was our best player last night and IMO basically the only excitement in a pretty boring Wednesday night game at the Fieldhouse.
    There was 1 particular offensive play in the 1st half where Lance ended up on the ground on a turnover, and he literally sat on the court then got up and walked back down on defense. The Pistons had their offense set up and in motion before Lance was past the half court line. It had me in a tizzy.
    Grown Man Ball

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

I've been thinking this for a while. I can't believe there's still people who don't agree with moving Lance to play PG, or at least not having him be the 5th option. He is extremely limited in this offense, which I understand with his past over-excitements and errors, but he has drastically improved on that end. Plus, sometimes when he makes these "mistakes" they aren't really on him, he isn't to blame that his teammates sometimes don't see a play the same way he does. (his vision is best on the team no question)

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    There was 1 particular offensive play in the 1st half where Lance ended up on the ground on a turnover, and he literally sat on the court then got up and walked back down on defense. The Pistons had their offense set up and in motion before Lance was past the half court line. It had me in a tizzy.
    Yeah, I was thinking of that play in particular. A couple of other times he just kind of jogged up and was the last man across.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

I was calling for Lance to be the backup PG earlier this year, but DJ has definitely improved. I think it makes sense for Lance to continue to run as a 2-guard for this year, and see where he's at when we get to the summer. I wouldn't be opposed to letting Lance run the 2nd unit if he progresses as much in the next 12 months as he has in the last 12.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I like Lance, and don't necessarily think he can't play point, there's no reason why he can't, but I'm starting to believe it is unnecessary. If you're a good distributor such as Lance, there is no reason you can't do that while playing the two.

Kind of like Harden/Ginobili, Lance can play next to any point and it just puts one more distributor on the court.
    I am thinking this might be interesting: Let Lance start the offense. Let George Hill be ready to get the ball with 8-10 seconds left, if it comes to that, to make something happen. He's pretty solid in those situations.

This allows Lance to use his skills to open things up, penetrate, make a great pass to loosen the defense. Hill may get the ball a lot sooner than 8 seconds remaining, and we will see a lot of scoring this way. Hill may score more this way. Lance will certainly get things going in the half court a lot more quickly than Hill does.

But it puts the "mature general" in the driver's seat if things get difficult.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown