Thread: WOJO end of super teams?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default WOJO end of super teams?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ru...065716242.html

NEW YORK – As a Western Conference contender disassembled out of frugality and panic on Wednesday, Miami Heat star LeBron James should've been recalibrating the realities of the free-agent frenzy awaiting him in 2014. For him, the economics of the sport keep reaffirming that three's a crowd now, that James will have to choose a partnership with one superstar teammate.
    The Super Friends scenarios are gone, replaced with the NBA's vision of talent spreading out to the have-nots. James Harden leaves Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook for Houston. And months before it was necessary to do so, before the Memphis Grizzlies could make a run in the Western Conference playoffs, they moved Rudy Gay to Toronto and out of Zach Randolph's and Marc Gasol's lives.
    James has helped to make it so profitable to be an NBA owner that Robert Pera bought the Grizzlies, hired a front office of novices, ran out a successful scouting staff and began to unload genuine assets for pennies on the dollar. Just recently, James tweeted, "What the hell we have lockout for?" upon learning of the $525 million selling price of the Sacramento Kings.
    Why? Simple: The NBA's owners wanted to break up the super teams and create a system that'll assure Pera can mismanage the Grizzlies into oblivion and still make money on the enterprise. The max contract system makes James the most underpaid athlete on the planet, and soon it will do something else, too: It makes most precarious his future with the Miami Heat.
    [Related: Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay to Raptors in three-team deal]

LeBron James could become a free agent in the summer of 2014. (USA Today Sports)
    James' agent and childhood friend, Rich Paul, born and raised and still living in Cleveland, has been privately telling people for two years of his intrigue with bringing the prodigal son back as the conquering hero in Cleveland. James will ultimately make the call to return – just like he made it to leave – rest assured that the most important voices in his ear will be partial to Cleveland again.
    Klutch Sports – Paul's new agency – calls Cleveland home. And its client, Tristian Thompson, would assuredly benefit with an eventual rich contract extension should Paul deliver James back to the Cavaliers.
    "Riley has never given them the run of the place in Miami," one high-level associate of James' inner-circle said, "and they could all be back in business together in Cleveland. For Rich and [business manager] Maverick [Carter], they all see the benefits of getting the credit for bringing LeBron home again."
    As significant as sentiment could play into the possibility of James returning to the Cavaliers, there's an understanding that as Dwyane Wade pushes into his 30s, past his prime, Cleveland's Kyrie Irving will emerge as the planet's preeminent point guard in two years.
    Meanwhile, the Brooklyn Nets' Reggie Evans disputed the legitimacy of the Heat's shortened lockout-season championship on Wednesday morning, declaring James a comparable talent to the Nets' Joe Johnson. That didn't turn out too well for Brooklyn on Wednesday night. James marched into the Barclays Center and dismantled the Nets with 24 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in a 105-85 victory.
    "No one knows what it takes until you've done it," James said. "He hasn't done it."
    [Related: Toronto pays steep price for Rudy Gay]
    Indeed, James is a champion, and he could win two more titles before he has to make a choice on his opt-out in the summer of 2014.
    Before trading Gay, Memphis had already moved under the tax threshold with a trade last week. It could've waited until the summer to move its star and made one more run in the Western Conference. But winning isn't a priority for Pera. Owners are virtually guaranteed profit in this changing economic setup, and small-market owners can play the NBA's corporate welfare game off the profits that the LeBron Jameses, Kobe Bryants and Chris Pauls produce for the sport.
    These Grizzlies aren't the Lakers, and they don't get a lot of chances at making a deep playoff run. They could've hung in there for this season, but instead bailed on it. Across the NBA, front offices were incredulous with the way that Memphis unloaded Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby, along with a future first-round pick, in a salary dump to Cleveland last week.
    Several league executives insisted Memphis could've waited until closer to the deadline, traded the parts individually and, minimally, received returns on Speights and Ellington.
    "Beyond a panic move," one Eastern Conference GM said. "Cleveland would always be there with that deal."
    To return to the Cavaliers, James has to believe that general manager Chris Grant can construct a champion around him. Irving is fabulous, but that wouldn't be enough. As much as anything, that's the biggest thing that Heat will have going for them. In the end, Riley and Miami owner Micky Arison will make it hard to walk away, because there will forever be a commitment, a competency, in South Beach. How long Riley will stay on the job is a different matter, and that uncertainty will play a part, too.
    James has been thinking about a return to Cleveland for most of his time with the Heat, including the night of his cable TV special. He had second-guessed himself that night, but once Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert released that vitriolic letter, James understood: There was no turning back.
    Rich Paul has stayed back in Cleveland to run his business and now represents Thompson, the Cavaliers' young forward. As Yahoo! Sports reported last February, James' associates had been feeling out members of the Cavaliers organization on a possible return in 2014.

The Grizzlies traded Rudy Gay to the Raptors in a three-team deal. (USA Today Sports)
    For now, though, James understands that he'll get two more chances at a championship with Wade and Bosh, and that's precious in this evolving NBA landscape. These Heat aren't perfect, but they're well-constructed, well-coached, and there are never mixed messages from their ownership and management. It's all about winning, all the time.
    Whatever James does in 2014, he'll make a decision with the highest of basketball IQs on what will work and what won't. Once again, the breaking down of this Grizzlies roster is a reminder that every NBA star had better make sure he understands the track records of the owners and executives with whom he's turning over his future.
    The Grizzlies issued a statement on the trade late Wednesday, and embarrassingly had "general manager Chris Wallace" throw out the obligatory organizational quotes on the deal. Only, Wallace had nothing to do with the trade. Nothing. He isn't making calls to teams. He isn't consulted by the new regime. He's waiting until they agree on the terms of his inevitable parting. So, Pera and new CEO Jason Levien take an unpopular trade and assign it to Wallace in the news release.
    Levien is making these deals based largely on the recommendations of John Hollinger, a statistician who worked for a cable sports company. The San Antonio Spurs once used him as a consultant and regretfully took his advice to sign a free agent named Jackie Butler. It was such a disaster, the Spurs had to attach Luis Scola to a trade to get Butler out of town.
    [Also: Heat's Chris Bosh a Hall of Famer? He thinks so]
    This wasn't the '86 Celtics broken up in Memphis today, but, still, a contender became something far less over the past week. All of this didn't need to happen so fast. Between an owner guaranteed to make a profit and a front office guaranteed to believe it's smarter than everyone else, the Western Conference has one less contender to come chasing the defending champion Heat in the NBA Finals.
    The Super Friends NBA is going, going and will soon be gone, and James will be left to choose one partner in 2014. Three's a crowd in the new NBA, and that'll be an immense part of James' decision about returning home and making everything right again.
    Pera bought into a great time in the NBA, where the genius talents of the sport's biggest stars can fund his revenue-sharing checks in Memphis. Why did they have a lockout? Well, LeBron, this is why: Two stars per team and guaranteed profits for the owners. Make no mistake, James has everything to do with those transformations of the modern NBA.
    For now, it won't be long until James makes a choice in 2014 that will leave him with far fewer assurances on his future than arriving in Miami did in 2010. Whatever LeBron James does, wherever he goes, just understand he makes it easy for the freeloading Robert Peras of the NBA.
    Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
    I havent read the article yet but I skimed it and will read it in the morning.

I was talking to Peck about this issue tonight. Teams that are small market teams arent gonna pay the tax even if they semi-contenders. The new CBA makes it to where small market teams not only pay tax but they also lose out on revenue sharing pie. If I remember correctly the pie is up to $16 million a year for small market teams. I just cant see any owner in a small market will ever pay the tax when they lose so much money from doing it.

EDIT:
    Starting 2012-13 50% of tax revenues will fund revenue sharing with the remaining 50% distributed back to non-taxpaying teams.

The revenue sharing plan will be reviewed following the 2013-14 season to see if any adjustments are warranted.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Ok yes I was right and now Memphis just netted 22 million dollars per year because of that trade in revenue sharing. Damn. I feel bad for Grizz fans but we are gonna see this happen a lot in the next few years.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-31-2013 at 03:13 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: WOJO end of super teams?

The Gay trade is a stroke of genius if you think Gay is a good player on a wildly overpaid contract, as I do. That earlier salary dumping trade though, is just stupid. Especially so since they shaved off more than enough money in the Gay trade to have gotten under the tax. As the article says, it's not like Cleveland's cap space was going away any time soon.

As to end of superteams? For small markets, superteams were never feasible anyway unless you get lucky in the draft like OKC did (combo of great scouting and luck). So it does suck that OKC became a victim of the new CBA. Grizz though, were a superteam only in terms of salary paid. They're built on 4-5 good players, just like the Pacers' model.

So I'll believe it's the end of superteams when I see teams like the Lakers and Nets trade away one of their core pieces to save money. Otherwise it's the same old, same old - one set of rules for big markets, another for small markets. Some things just don't change.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

It's a good article however it's a little convoluted because he chose to go three different paths here. 1. How the trade is bad from a basketball standpoint. 2. Why LeBron James is to blame for this and how he wants to return to the Cavs in 2014. 3. His disdain for the new ownership in Memphis.

Also he got in a good shot about John Hollinger as well which he also obviously holds in disdain.

It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe one of the unintended consequences of this new CBA is going to be owners actually trying to make money on their teams ala Donald Sterling.

Let's pray Herb stands firm.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait, he thought Memphis was a super team before this trade? Maybe in the sense that they had two great players and one tremendously overpaid chucker who is having the worst season of his career this year.... Memphis was absolutely brilliant with this trade. I personally think Prince alone is an upgrade over Rudy (at $10M less per season!) and adding a rebounder like Ed Davis on top of him was just gravy. If anything, this trade could be a signal for the end of overpaying to keep your own guys. I can't believe any self-respecting franchise would ever re-sign a restricted free agent before he gets another contract offer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rudy Gay was a chucker? That's weird at least. Sure he had a horrible contract and not the best of his seasons so far but you think Grizzlies will be the same competent and able to challenge in the NBA as they were before? Personally, can't see that.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless Gilbert is bought out by Rich and Maverick,

LeBRON is
    never ever ever
    coming back to Cleveland

NOOOOOOOOO

He
    is never ever ever

no He-EEEE
    is Never Ever Ever EVER EVER
    coming back to Cleveland

Like...

ever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Rudy Gay is a marginal All Star who's paid more than the max deal he would've had under this CBA. This is about dropping a wildly unreasonable contract rather than an "end of the super teams."
    Last edited by hackashaq; 01-31-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good article however it's a little convoluted because he chose to go three different paths here. 1. How the trade is bad from a basketball standpoint. 2. Why LeBron James is to blame for this and how he wants to return to the Cavs in 2014. 3. His disdain for the new ownership in Memphis.

Also he got in a good shot about John Hollinger as well which he also obviously holds in disdain.

It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe one of the unintended consequences of this new CBA is going to be owners actually trying to make money on their teams ala Donald Sterling.

Let's pray Herb stands firm.
    I've never been able to figure out if Wojo sees himself as a blogger, or a news reporter.

He seems to always have good scoop, and a great writing style... but he taints his good work by interjecting his personal agendas too often. He doesn't even try to veil his opinions as most reporters do.

He seems destined to set up his own site, like Grantland...

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Rudy Gay was a chucker? That's weird at least. Sure he had a horrible contract and not the best of his seasons so far but you think Grizzlies will be the same competent and able to challenge in the NBA as they were before? Personally, can't see that.
    I think they'll really miss someone like Mayo. They'll be too one-dimensional offensively.

But they improve their bench, they likely upgrade their D even more and they have a nice trade exception on top of it. If they could add a solid Jamaal Crawford/ Lou Williams type player this summer, they should be better.

I didn't think they were a legit contender anyway after they traded their bench. More of a round 2 team but even then they'd probably run into the Nuggets in round 1 and I don't think they were deep enough to stop them.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 01-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    As to end of superteams? For small markets, superteams were never feasible anyway unless you get lucky in the draft like OKC did (combo of great scouting and luck). So it does suck that OKC became a victim of the new CBA. Grizz though, were a superteam only in terms of salary paid. They're built on 4-5 good players, just like the Pacers' model.

So I'll believe it's the end of superteams when I see teams like the Lakers and Nets trade away one of their core pieces to save money. Otherwise it's the same old, same old - one set of rules for big markets, another for small markets. Some things just don't change.
    Basically. The next two things I want to see play out are:

1. How many big market teams are willing to pay the tax going forward. (And now that there are tiers, how high)

2. Will the extra money that's going to nontaxpayer teams and those receiving revenue-sharing finally put franchises like the Pacers in the black instead of always ending up in the red?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't the new CBA tier the revenue return for the LT? In other words, unlike before when $1 over the tax lost all revenue, don't you now still get some revenue from teams farther over the tax than you? On which case I would think small market teams might be more willing to go a little over the threshold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Basically. The next two things I want to see play out are:

1. How many big market teams are willing to pay the tax going forward. (And now that there are tiers, how high)

2. Will the extra money that's going to nontaxpayer teams and those receiving revenue-sharing finally put franchises like the Pacers in the black instead of always ending up in the red?
    I'll have to look but according to IBJ last season the Pacers actually were in the black. I'll try & find the article later today.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

So he is talking about the end of "super teams" but then he is talking about Lebron probably going back to Cleveland so they can create another "super team", I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So he is talking about the end of "super teams" but then he is talking about Lebron probably going back to Cleveland so they can create another "super team", I don't get it.
    Yea his thought pattern was just really not sound there, it was almost like he was doing his own Odd Thoughts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see Lebron going to the Lakers, a team that won't ever give a **** about the luxury tax.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo

I think LeBron going to Cleveland has a strong likelihood of happening. If LeBron actually came out and said he wanted to play there instead, Gilbert would take him back in a heartbeat. And send everything short of Irving to get him.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I see Lebron going to the Lakers, a team that won't ever give a **** about the luxury tax.
    Speaking of Lakers, I swear I heard this on the radio the other day, I think the guy was Bill Ryder, who said that the Pacers could be an attractive destination for Kobe when Granger's contract expires. Kobe will be old as hell, but how do you turn him down basically a Kobe for Granger swap if he wants to come here?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    The Gay trade is a stroke of genius if you think Gay is a good player on a wildly overpaid contract, as I do. That earlier salary dumping trade though, is just stupid. Especially so since they shaved off more than enough money in the Gay trade to have gotten under the tax. As the article says, it's not like Cleveland's cap space was going away any time soon.
    That earlier trade did open roster spots for Austin Daye and Ed Davis 2 players that are arguably better than Wayne Ellington and Speights and on very reasonable rookie deals.

I agree with everything else you said though about small market teams and the end of the 3-player super teams. Many of us were talking about this last year after the lockout ended.

Banned

Here is a good article about why not to believe Wojo.

@HPbasketball: Hmmmmmmmmm http://t.co/BtST0p2p