View Poll Results: Of the listed 16 point guards, where do you rank George Hill?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • At or about 1st

    0 0%
  • At or about 2nd

    0 0%
  • At or about 3rd

    0 0%
  • At or about 4th

    0 0%
  • At or about 5th

    1 2.56%
  • At or about 6th

    1 2.56%
  • At or about 7th

    4 10.26%
  • At or about 8th

    6 15.38%
  • At or about 9th

    6 15.38%
  • At or about 10th

    7 17.95%
  • At or about 11th

    4 10.26%
  • At or about 12th

    5 12.82%
  • At or about 13th

    1 2.56%
  • At or about 14th

    1 2.56%
  • At or about 15th

    0 0%
  • At or about 16th

    0 0%
  • I'm not sure

    3 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

  1. #26
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,403

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the rest of these guys aren't as good. Period. Brandon Jennings? Really..... All I'll say is there's a reason Jennings teams normally hover around .500 whereas Hill's teams are normally in the top 3 of the playoff standings.
    And that reason is "supporting" cast. I'm not saying Jennings is better (I don't believe that he is), but you can't say Hill's teams are normally in the Top 3 because of George Hill. He's the 5th best starter here and was a backup in San Antonio.

    The biggest knock on Hill is that he's not a strong passer. He had some great passing games earlier in the season, but they are few and far between of late. Sometimes he telegraphs his passes and they are picked off for easy fastbreak points. More often, though, he just lobs them, meaning that when his teammate receives them, they aren't as open as they could be - he allows the defense to recover.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 01-31-2013 at 10:05 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    I consider Hill in the top 10 as an all around Guard. I really don't get into the "pure" point guard spin unless you are talking about a point that controls everything about the game. I much prefer the pair of guard scenario like we seem to be forming in Hill and Lance. Both can handle, pass, start the offense and defend as well as score. "Pure" points such as Magic, Stockton and Nash, Rondo and the NY version of Lin makes a game exciting and fun to watch, but I prefer the guys who can defend, score, and pass.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that reason is "supporting" cast. I'm not saying Jennings is better (I don't believe that he is), but you can't say Hill's teams are normally in the Top 3 because of George Hill. He's the 5th best starter here and was a backup in San Antonio..
    Let me put it this way, if we traded George Hill for Brandon Jennings, we are instantly a worse team and the Bucks are instantly an improved team.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,783

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    I don't think anyone will or can claim that Hill is an elite point guard or an eleite player at his position. But if you look at how our team is currently constructed. We would not have the money to pay an elite point guard. (not sure we are going to have the money to pay PG, danny, Roy and David) but no way we could pay a point guard 12 million plus a year. $8M for Hill is pushing it.

    Beyond that, Hill might be good enough with the emergence of Paul George and Lance. Having Lance with Hill on the floor has IMO taken some of the playmaking responsibilities off of Hill.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Tony Parker
    Russell Westbrook
    Chris Paul
    Mario Chalmers
    Mike Conley
    Raymond Felton
    Kirk Hinrich
    Stephen Curry
    Ty Lawson
    Deron Williams
    George Hill
    Jeff Teague
    Brandon Jennings
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Jeremy Lin
    Damian Lillard
    Lance Stephenson

    I believe that where Hill ranks, you could put about 3 other guys in that spot and make a good arguement. If we asked Hill to take on more of a defined role, I believe he could do that as good as the guys you might put in that 6th or 7th spot. (scorer, Distributor, etc.) Luckily for us, he isn't a chucker, he can break down a defense and distribute when needed, and makes pretty intelligent decisions.

    People would argue that he doesn't have enough assists, but when you are multiple with your offensive scheme and you have so many guys who can be (hands on Ball) as we are, assist #'s will be more distributed evenly...

    Good and bad, George Hill is a product of the system and I think that makes him very valuable, and also gives us the best shot at winning, because we will attack you from anywhere and will go 2 man game (P+R) and iso's with just about any combination of players...

  10. #31
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    let me ask those who are saying Lilliard is better than Hill. if the playoffs started tomorrow, would you rather have Hill or Lilliard. I'd take Hill for experience.
    Exactly the reason I put Hill above Lilliard. At this point in his career, Hill is a much more complete player than Lilliard. Lilliard, has a greater upside than Hill, (primarily because of his distribution ability) but if I gotta go with one right now, Its George.

  11. #32
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,403

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me put it this way, if we traded George Hill for Brandon Jennings, we are instantly a worse team and the Bucks are instantly an improved team.
    I like that statement much better.

    To state the obvious, it's difficult to compare two players in two different systems with two different sets of teammates, so a lot of opinion and guesswork come into play when determining a ranking like this one. I think GRH's tier system is solid, and thus any ranking between 6 and 13 seems reasonable to me. Unsurprisingly, I went for 11th because I'm not as high on Hill as some.

  12. #33
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony Parker
    Russell Westbrook
    Chris Paul
    Mario Chalmers
    Mike Conley
    Raymond Felton
    Kirk Hinrich
    Stephen Curry
    Ty Lawson
    Deron Williams
    George Hill
    Jeff Teague
    Brandon Jennings
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Jeremy Lin
    Damian Lillard
    Lance Stephenson

    I believe that where Hill ranks, you could put about 3 other guys in that spot and make a good arguement. If we asked Hill to take on more of a defined role, I believe he could do that as good as the guys you might put in that 6th or 7th spot. (scorer, Distributor, etc.) Luckily for us, he isn't a chucker, he can break down a defense and distribute when needed, and makes pretty intelligent decisions.

    People would argue that he doesn't have enough assists, but when you are multiple with your offensive scheme and you have so many guys who can be (hands on Ball) as we are, assist #'s will be more distributed evenly...

    Good and bad, George Hill is a product of the system and I think that makes him very valuable, and also gives us the best shot at winning, because we will attack you from anywhere and will go 2 man game (P+R) and iso's with just about any combination of players...
    Why is Lance Stephenson on this list and how in God's name can you possibly think he's better than George Hill?

    But to Hicks' original list, I think he's somewhere between 7-10 on that list. Parker, Westbrook, Paul, Conley, Curry, and Williams are all better without question. I think Lawson and Lillard are both better right now so I've got him 9th. Jennings has an argument, particularly with his play this year, but I'd keep Hill. Hinrich (Rose) and Tinsley (Mo Williams) are obviously not their team's actual starters so I'm not sure they're fair comparisons. I'm also not sure why it has to be limited to teams with .500+ records but so be it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  13. #34
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is Lance Stephenson on this list and how in God's name can you possibly think he's better than George Hill?

    But to Hicks' original list, I think he's somewhere between 7-10 on that list. Parker, Westbrook, Paul, Conley, Curry, and Williams are all better without question. I think Lawson and Lillard are both better right now so I've got him 9th. Jennings has an argument, particularly with his play this year, but I'd keep Hill. Hinrich (Rose) and Tinsley (Mo Williams) are obviously not their team's actual starters so I'm not sure they're fair comparisons. I'm also not sure why it has to be limited to teams with .500+ records but so be it.
    Well, BRUSH, I have him on my list for the same reason you think Conley is better than Hill "without question". Because it is my opinion. The difference is that I am going to be more respectful of your opinion although I disagree. Lance is a better scorer, ball handler, distributor (vision), and creator of open shots for others because of his superior basketball instincts, IMO.

    Last night is a great example of why he is better, but, also, why he will never "start" over Hill as the heralded PG. His immaturity, and selfish (stat driven) attitude, (The multiple times he was ANGRY over his teamates not taking open shots as he was feverishly working toward a Triple Double), shows exactly why his Leadership intangibles are always questioned.

    I also believe that over the next few years Lance will prove that he impacts the game (offensively) in a similar way that LeBron does... Not nearly on the same level, (Likely off the Bench) but in a way that allows his size, quickness, creativity and competitive fire to create a mismatch at several positions.

  14. #35
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Among the starting point guards on teams who are above .500, where do you rank George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So are you stating that Hill is a good point guard because he would've run the play designed for him and West as opposed to the iso that Vogel called for PG?? That is a coaching decision, not a "talent" decision....
    No, I'm saying Hill would NOT have ran the designed play, because once on the court he would have realized it was the wrong play. Which it was.

    Again the scenario - Coach calls Hill/West PnR - Hill see's West defended by Gallinari. In that situation you don't run the PnR. You give the ball to west immediately because Gallinari has no business defending West.

    In that actual play call, PG started to run the designed iso for himself. If he was paying attention, or as I argue, if he was Hill he would have made the correct play and gave West the ball immediately.
    Last edited by mattie; 01-31-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM
  2. Please Start George Hill at point guard
    By russkiy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
  3. DC vs. the other starting NBA Point Guards
    By Mackey_Rose in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM
  4. Rank them part 1 (the point guards)
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
  5. Replies: 80
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •