Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 96

Thread: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

  1. #51
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The play call bothers me more than the officiating on this one. I haven't watched the replay in a few days but at the time I thought the lowered shoulder and extended arm made it easy for the ref's to let it be a no-call.
    Offensive fouls are dependent on the defender being in legal defensive position, which Iggy was not.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  3. #52

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You clearly have no idea what a foul is so your opinion is meaningless.
    Obviously the people who got paid to officiate that game, don't know what a foul is either. If we based everything on the rule book, hundreds of fouls or violations don't get called each game. That play was not a clear enough foul on Iggy to be called. Iggy occupied that space with his body prior to George lowering his body and putting his forearm into Iggy. I've seen that play called offensive foul just as often as it's called a defensive foul. So a no call on that play was perfectly fine with me.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously the people who got paid to officiate that game, don't know what a foul is either. If we based everything on the rule book, hundreds of fouls or violations don't get called each game. That play was not a clear enough foul on Iggy to be called. Iggy occupied that space with his body prior to George lowering his body and putting his forearm into Iggy. I've seen that play called offensive foul just as often as it's called a defensive foul. So a no call on that play was perfectly fine with me.
    Legal defensive position is not just occupying the space with your body. You can't just jump in front of a player like that.

    It clearly WAS clear enough to be called as the NBA has acknowledged it as a bad call.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  7. #54
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    http://www.nba.com/games/20130128/IN...meinfo.html#Q4

    If you stop the video at the 1:35 mark, the game clock shows 3.0 and the play clock shows 1.9.

    If you run the PnR, you're going to have to start the action around the 6-7 second mark. It allows the defense to start rotating as the screener comes up. The live TO will just kill you. I think you play away from their teams defensive strength, even if it means you take the best defender one on one. If PG is going to be what we expect him to be, he's gonna have to make those plays.


    And I like how some people go back to their extremisms, and pretend like I said dribble out the shot clock, which would be the equivilant of taking a knee. I said a 25fter would have been better. A shot clock violation would have been a dead ball TO, which isn't as bad as a live one, but getting a shot off ends regulation. Having 1.1 on the clock does improve the odds though.

    A bad shot doesn't kill you, a TO does. It's the last thing you can afford. Not to mention all the trouble they had passing the ball to being with.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-31-2013 at 08:12 PM.

  8. #55
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Offensive fouls are dependent on the defender being in legal defensive position, which Iggy was not.
    We all know that offensive fouls can and will be called for lowering the shoulder and extending the arm. Usually the defender is moving backwards or laterally. I agree that in this case Iggy was moving forward, which is why the offensive foul was (correctly) not called.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  9. #56
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ChicagoJ I went back to look at the clock and the Pacers only had 17.8 seconds left.

    I'd suggest you think differently about what you're saying.

    The Pacers called timeout at 0:17.8. I know that you know that the shot clock does not reset just because you call a timeout. When they inbouded after the timeout, there were 16 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

    I posted the play-by-play above. The possession began at 0:25.8.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  11. #57
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously the people who got paid to officiate that game, don't know what a foul is either.
    That's something we can agree on.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That play was not a clear enough foul on Iggy to be called.
    That's something the NBA disagrees with you.

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  13. #58
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all know that offensive fouls can and will be called for lowering the shoulder and extending the arm. Usually the defender is moving backwards or laterally. I agree that in this case Iggy was moving forward, which is why the offensive foul was (correctly) not called.
    Thus, not a legal defensive position.

  14. #59
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/games/20130128/IN...meinfo.html#Q4

    If you stop the video at the 1:35 mark, the game clock shows 3.0 and the play clock shows 1.9.

    It is possible that the shot clock was not in sync with the official time in recorded in the play-by-play. So one of the following must be right: Either the official play-by-play should be restated to show Paul George's rebound, and the beginning of the possession, at 0:25.0 instead of 0:25.8, or the replay monitor could have been used to establish that the shot clock for the Pacers' last possession was reset too late (slow trigger finger) and should have been adjusted.

    Otherwise, the 24-second violation should have occurred at 0:01.9 on the game clock.

    If they're going to use tenths of a second, they should try to get it right. Right? They didn't even try.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #60
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thus, not a legal defensive position.
    I'm not arguing with you about that.

    I don't really care.

    I don't want the ball in Paul's hands in that play.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #61

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's something we can agree on.



    That's something the NBA disagrees with you.
    No ****. And if the NBA were to review every play during a game, they'd come up with several other incorrect calls, mostly travel violations. An NBA official can't pause live action to watch each and every play in slow motion. That play being called a no-call was perfectly reasonable and again, I've seen it called an offensive foul just as often.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  18. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd suggest you think differently about what you're saying.

    The Pacers called timeout at 0:17.8. I know that you know that the shot clock does not reset just because you call a timeout. When they inbouded after the timeout, there were 16 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

    I posted the play-by-play above. The possession began at 0:25.8.
    You are right I went back to look at that last play and the difference was 1.8 seconds, it looks like when Paul decided to move he only had like 1 second left, yeah Pacers got lucky that the referees didn't see that, that was a shot clock violation.

    So the shot clock violation pretty much eliminates the taking a knee argument that some are trying to come up with.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-31-2013 at 08:31 PM.

  19. #63
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No ****. And if the NBA were to review every play during a game, they'd come up with several other incorrect calls, mostly travel violations. An NBA official can't pause live action to watch each and every play in slow motion. That play being called a no-call was perfectly reasonable and again, I've seen it called an offensive foul just as often.
    I didn't say it needed to be reviewed. You said it wasn't clear enough to be called. That's simply not true. It was clear as day in real time, and every time I see it, it just re-affirms it.

    I fully understand the argument it shouldn't be called. But if you're going to swallow the whistle there, you swallow it on the shot attempt by Iggy.

    You and some other posters coming into threads declaring people who thought it was a foul, as "homers" or whatever terms you used, is insulting. And instead of acknowledging the legitimacy of the situation, you just continue to double down.

    I don't think it should have been called, for the record. Both instances should have been a play on, and we should have gotten 5 more minutes to let the players decide.

  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  21. #64
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't say it needed to be reviewed. You said it wasn't clear enough to be called. That's simply not true. It was clear as day in real time, and every time I see it, it just re-affirms it.

    I fully understand the argument it shouldn't be called. But if you're going to swallow the whistle there, you swallow it on the shot attempt by Iggy.

    You and some other posters coming into threads declaring people who thought it was a foul, as "homers" or whatever terms you used, is insulting. And instead of acknowledging the legitimacy of the situation, you just continue to double down.

    I don't think it should have been called, for the record. Both instances should have been a play on, and we should have gotten 5 more minutes to let the players decide.
    I agree with all of this, except that Denver should have had more than 0:00.5 on the clock. Something between 0:01.5 and 0:01.9. The refs also messed that up, and that is something they're supposed to use the monitors to get right and failed to do for the wrong reasons.

    With more time on the clock, it might not have been a lob to the rim. Maybe we defend it without fouling? Maybe that gives us a better chance to play in OT? For as much as they butchered every aspect of the call on the Pacers' last possession, they've also implicitly said the foul that put Iggy at the line at 0:00.4 was the correct call. In fact, the only argument against that call has been "you don't make that call at that point in the game."

    Had Paul been put at the line, and hit one or both FTs, Denver would still be in position to tie or win with ~two seconds left. Anything less would have been a shot clock violation first.

    And with two seconds, anything can happen. This what-if game doesn't automatically equate to a Pacers win. It just opens Pandora's box.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  23. #65
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with all of this, except that Denver should have had more than 0:00.5 on the clock. Something between 0:01.5 and 0:01.9. The refs also messed that up, and that is something they're supposed to use the monitors to get right and failed to do for the wrong reasons.

    With more time on the clock, it might not have been a lob to the rim. Maybe we defend it without fouling? Maybe that gives us a better chance to play in OT? For as much as they butchered every aspect of the call on the Pacers' last possession, they've also implicitly said the foul that put Iggy at the line at 0:00.4 was the correct call. In fact, the only argument against that call has been "you don't make that call at that point in the game."

    Had Paul been put at the line, and hit one or both FTs, Denver would still be in position to tie or win with ~two seconds left. Anything less would have been a shot clock violation first.
    I think they would have had about 3 seconds if PG was put on the line.

  24. #66
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No ****. And if the NBA were to review every play during a game, they'd come up with several other incorrect calls, mostly travel violations. An NBA official can't pause live action to watch each and every play in slow motion. That play being called a no-call was perfectly reasonable and again, I've seen it called an offensive foul just as often.
    Yet, they thought it was such a big **** up from the refs, that they had to come out and own up. Refs decided a game's fate with the non call and the call on the next play.

    Since86 is absolutely right. You wanna swallow your whistle on that play? Then do it on the other side too.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  26. #67
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    You can't really say it would be a shot clock violation, because PG was going on what was on the clock above the backboard. If the clock said something different, he would have acted differently. The backboard clock doesn't expire until after Iggy has the ball and calls the time out.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  28. #68
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they would have had about 3 seconds if PG was put on the line.
    I thought the official statement from the league said "2.2 seconds".

    Either way, that's plenty of time for the Nuggets to tie or win after the PG FTA's.

  29. #69
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the official statement from the league said "2.2 seconds".

    Either way, that's plenty of time for the Nuggets to tie or win after the PG FTA's.
    I was just looking at the clock in the replay compared to when the foul occurred. Should be at least 3 seconds.

  30. #70
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't really say it would be a shot clock violation, because PG was going on what was on the clock above the backboard. If the clock said something different, he would have acted differently. The backboard clock doesn't expire until after Iggy has the ball and calls the time out.
    As stated above, it seems the shot clock and official play by play were out of sync. Which should be correctable -- why else have the monitors and clocks that show tenths of a second?

    BUT it had to be corrected when the Pacers called TO at 0:16.8.

    That still doesn't explain why the refs let 1.2 seconds tick away after Iggy came up with the ball before acknowledging Iggy's timeout.

  31. #71
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just looking at the clock in the replay compared to when the foul occurred. Should be at least 3 seconds.
    "The league says video replay showed that Denver's Andre Iguodala reached in and fouled Indiana's Paul George with the score tied at 101 and 2.2 seconds left on Sunday. Iguodala was credited with a steal and Denver won the game."

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2013/01/30/nba-refs-bad-call-indiana-pacers-denver-nuggets-dallas-mavericks-portland-trail-blazers/1879127/
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  32. #72
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A no call was the best call in that situation.
    I agree that a no call was the best call in that situation. But a no call was the best call on the other side of the floor as well.

    Simply put, call the game consistently. It should have gone to OT. Neither Indiana nor Denver deserved to win the game in the FT line.

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    instead of the Pacers poor play on the court.
    And here's where you are wrong again.

    Denver failed to score a FG in the last 5:35 minutes of the game. The Pacers didn't.

    Denver did not deserve in any way to win that game in FT line.

    It's quite simple.

    Also, would you say that the NBA are Indiana homers as well? Do you want to retract your statement or you still believe that the majority of this board are blind homers?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  34. #73
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This what-if game doesn't automatically equate to a Pacers win. It just opens Pandora's box.
    It doesn't equate a Pacers win. It simply says that the players deserved to decide the game and not the refs.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  36. #74
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,650

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I would definitely say that if there is any benefit of the doubt for the refs there is NO way the NBA admits an error. None.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  38. #75

    Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

    I would have been happier if they just didnt say anything. It just makes me more angry that they acknowledged it. Whatever. It was a good game. Iggy deserves a call every once in a while. He's a great player.

Similar Threads

  1. Noah acknowledges saying 'something' to fan [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 12:00 AM
  2. Are any of you fans of MLB? (jim Joyce missed call)
    By vapacersfan in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 11:40 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
  5. Suns' Iavaroni acknowledges meeting with Grizz (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •