Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Acknowledges missed call at end of Denver game.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because the worst-case scenario is overtime. The main goal for the Pacers there was not to turn the ball over, and to make sure that there was no time left on the clock when that shot hit or missed.
    You can run the same play, but start 2 seconds earlier. That does nothing but turn a 25 foot fadeaway into an 18-20 foot fadeway without really causing there to be a TO risk.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

By the way, where are you, croz24?

The "homers" are waiting
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned

Lol at that strategy, "lets dribble the ball 30 feets away from the basket so even if I don't make the fadeway from 30 feets away our worse case scenario is overtime" you guys crack me up

Has to be a real bad call for the NBA to own up on one like this. Normally they only 'fess up on black/white things like out of bound or clock management.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    You can run the same play, but start 2 seconds earlier. That does nothing but turn a 25 foot fadeaway into an 18-20 foot fadeway without really causing there to be a TO risk.
    That's very true, but with
    Igoudala guarding George so tightly on the perimeter most of the game, I don't think it mattered that much. I believe George's primary plan all along was to wait for Igoudala to close space to contest the final shot, then to immediately drive to draw the foul or take the shorter 20 footer. I really think the move pretty much worked perfectly, he just didn't get the call.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WELL LA DEE FREAKIN' DAH

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree, but we have benefit in slow motion. the referee, while in great position, will see a play the play as a BAM-BAM play and have to make a judgment call. keeping in mind that barring a TO the Pacers have the last shot, he probably stuck with the "call last plays loosely" rules.

While it was clearly a foul, if the refs don't change philosophy and call a touch foul on the other end we go into OT and are probably not even talking about this.
    Uh... I could tell immediately that it was a foul without seeing the replay. Even the Denver announcers on League immediately admitted that it was a missed foul. Now that the NBA has come out and admitted it was a mistake made by the officials I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

I always thought the whole "swallow the whistle at the end of regulation" was stupid to begin with. If it's a foul call it. The league is correctly trying to get the officials to move away from that philosophy.

A guy like Lawson can cover the entire length of the court in about 4-5 seconds. (His 3/4 sprint was 3.12, dribbling a ball in an open court where you can push it ahead and run into the dribble isn't going to slow you down all that much) Defenses can get a 3pt attempt off with a matter of seconds, or get a layup with just two more seconds.

I agree I didn't like the play, but I didn't like it because he went to the sideline which really hampers your ability to do a lot in that time frame (you can really only go one way). But the idea of running down the clock as low as possible, in a tie game, is the right strategy.

PG probably should have been center court, and started going at 4-5 seconds. Get two/three dribbles in, and then go into your shooting motion. The clock running out of time is the second best option, out of three.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I think that both this and the Iggy "foul" should have been no-calls.

Let the players decide the game in OT.
    Agree, almost. Someone pointed this out in another thread, but the big problem was that the refs weren't consistent. Call a foul on Iggy? Okay, then, call the foul on PG on the final play. No foul on Iggy? (which there wasn't) Then no foul on Paul.

Of course, you can't blame all three refs, because only one goofball called the foul on Paul at the end of the game.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I still disagree...the problem was starting the play with the ball in PG's hands. Should have started in Hill's hands, with a West pick-and-roll where you try to entice Iggy to rotate toward the ball and leave George open for a catch-and-shoot. Preferably from about 18 feet as we did not need to shoot a three in that situation. I don't mind him taking the shot in that situation, but I don't want him initiating the play.

He's not a good enough one-on-one creator or ball handler to run an iso in that situation, and I'm really questioning his game awareness for holding the ball too long and settling - appearantly - for a three-pointer in a tie game.

He did lower his shoulder as he was losing the ball. I didn't mind the no-call so much because one could also make a case for an offensive foul call. He was clearly playing for the foul call and FTs (which actually would have given Denver even more time on the clock, we couldn't run the game clock to zero if we did score on that possession), and I don't like to see players get "bailed out" when they are playing for the whistle instead of trying to score the ball.

There was a lot of contact on that play, but I'm not convinced that the contact actually changed the outcome of the play itself. I think that play was heading for a shot clock violation/ turnover of some type any way.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Some of you guys need to go watch the nba video rule book to see what fouls actually look like.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I still disagree...the problem was starting the play with the ball in PG's hands. Should have started in Hill's hands, with a West pick-and-roll where you try to entice Iggy to rotate toward the ball and leave George open for a catch-and-shoot. Preferably from about 18 feet as we did not need to shoot a three in that situation. I don't mind him taking the shot in that situation, but I don't want him initiating the play.

He's not a good enough one-on-one creator or ball handler to run an iso in that situation, and I'm really questioning his game awareness for holding the ball too long and settling - appearantly - for a three-pointer in a tie game.

He did lower his shoulder as he was losing the ball. I didn't mind the no-call so much because one could also make a case for an offensive foul call. He was clearly playing for the foul call and FTs (which actually would have given Denver even more time on the clock, we couldn't run the game clock to zero if we did score on that possession), and I don't like to see players get "bailed out" when they are playing for the whistle instead of trying to score the ball.

There was a lot of contact on that play, but I'm not convinced that the contact actually changed the outcome of the play itself. I think that play was heading for a shot clock violation/ turnover of some type any way.
    Good post I agree with most of it.

Listen, for it to be an offensive foul, Iggy has to BE IN LEGAL DEFENSIVE POSITION FIRST. He is not. He is not allowed to jump in the way of PG. It doesn't really matter what else PG is doing because Iggy is not in legal defensive position and hasn't beaten PG to the spot he is going. There is nothing about that play that is an offensive foul.

If you disagree with this then you don't know what a foul is and should stop acting like you do.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Coulda/woulda/shoulda. What's got to do with the non called foul on Iggy?
    The Pacers got screwed by the refs (in two occasions on the last plays imo) and the NBA finally apologised for one of them. Yet we hear all kind of stuff from some people here.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I think it was a foul, but I also think that what Paul George was doing with his left arm is also a foul reason why the official decided not to call it, either way I don't understand were Paul George was going with 3 seconds left.
    Where was he going? He was going to draw the foul and win the game.

4 seconds is plenty of time to make a drive to the basket. If you only make it 5 ft in two seconds there is something wrong.

I don't disagree with the West PnR, but I don't necessarily agree with it in this situation.

I just would prefer PG to run it over George. Paul has much better vision, he's your leading scorer, and he's the one that's supposed to be "the guy" for your team. You put your "guy" in those very situation. I would have agreed with it at the beginning of the year to run a GH/West PnR, but not where they are right now.

If I was coaching, I would put PG at the top. If he was going to go from the side, it should have been going back to the middle.

The bad thing about running a PnR right there is you have to initiate the movement earlier, which gives way to the possibility of a live turnover. That's deadly against a team like Denver. They force turnovers playing that kind of scramble defense. Cough it up and it's game over with their ability to run.

I say minimize the risk of a TO by keeping the play simple, which allows you to run more clock. You have to have the perfect steal like Iggy did to force the TO, and have enough time to call timeout, and get a shot at the rim. Had PG taken literally .5 secs longer, you would have went into OT. OT is much more preferable than a loss.

If you're down then you run the PnR, but you just needed to survive that one play to get 5 more mins to get over the hump. They clearly had momentum.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-31-2013 at 06:50 PM.

I'd have to look again to be sure, but I was thinking the last play was supposed to be a PnR with West, and Paul waved it off. Hill probably should have been handling the ball, but since Paul's most likely gonna be the guy we're going to in these situations for the next 10 years, I think it was the right call. Players just fubared it

edit: scratch that. I re-watched it and it was an ISO. yuk

...and Iggy definitely hops forward.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.

A no call was the best call in that situation. While Iggy reached his arm in, he didn't make contact. Contact was initiated by George when he put his forearm against Iggy's chest. But Pacers fans will continue to ***** and act like that was the reason we lost the game, instead of the Pacers poor play on the court.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Iggy stepped forward AND reached. Even if he hadn't reached it would have been a foul because he was moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    A no call was the best call in that situation. While Iggy reached his arm in, he didn't make contact. Contact was initiated by George when he put his forearm against Iggy's chest. But Pacers fans will continue to ***** and act like that was the reason we lost the game, instead of the Pacers poor play on the court.
    You clearly have no idea what a foul is so your opinion is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't disagree with the West PnR, but I don't necessarily agree with it in this situation.

I just would prefer PG to run it over George. Paul has much better vision, he's your leading scorer, and he's the one that's supposed to be "the guy" for your team. You put your "guy" in those very situation. I would have agreed with it at the beginning of the year to run a GH/West PnR, but not where they are right now.

If I was coaching, I would put PG at the top. If he was going to go from the side, it should have been going back to the middle.

The bad thing about running a PnR right there is you have to initiate the movement earlier, which gives way to the possibility of a live turnover. That's deadly against a team like Denver. They force turnovers playing that kind of scramble defense. Cough it up and it's game over with their ability to run.

I say minimize the risk of a TO by keeping the play simple, which allows you to run more clock. You have to have the perfect steal like Iggy did to force the TO, and have enough time to call timeout, and get a shot at the rim. Had PG taken literally .5 secs longer, you would have went into OT. OT is much more preferable than a loss.

If you're down then you run the PnR, but you just needed to survive that one play to get 5 more mins to get over the hump. They clearly had momentum.
    Had he taken a half-second longer, it would have been a shot clock violation before the end of regulation. The shot clock should have expired at 0:01.9, as the possession started at 0:25.8.

West Layup Shot: Made (17 PTS) 00:38.6
    [IND 101-101]
    00:26.9 Gallinari Jump Shot: Missed Block: George (1 BLK)
    George Rebound (Off:3 Def:7) 00:25.8
    Team Timeout : Regular 00:17.8
    George Turnover : Lost Ball (3 TO) Steal:Iguodala (1 ST) 00:00.5
    00:00.5 Team Timeout : Regular
    00:00.5 Team Timeout : Short
    00:00.5 Brewer Substitution replaced by Miller
    George Foul: Personal (5 PF) (2 FTA) 00:00.4

He's just not the guy/ ballhandler to be initiating the play. That's like asking Reggie to run a pick and roll at the end of the game. That was never going to work either. I don't mind the ball being swung to him for the shot, but I don't like to see him put the ball on the court and certainly not against one of the better defenders like Iggy.

The play call bothers me more than the officiating on this one. I haven't watched the replay in a few days but at the time I thought the lowered shoulder and extended arm made it easy for the ref's to let it be a no-call.

Okay, so it's a shot clock violation. They'd have, what, .2-.3 seconds left? The stars pretty much have to align perfectly for a score/foul to occur there. Yes, it happened, but I'm talking pure probability.

The odds of a live TO to a score is probably "low" risk, but the risk of what did happen, actually happening is a lot less.

I'm a big proponent of just getting into OT, whatever way possible. You would dramatically increase your odds getting another 5 mins.

The worst outcome of a 25fter is OT. The best is a win. The worst outcome of a TO is a loss. The best is OT. 3 out of the 4 are acceptable.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-31-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Okay, so it's a shot clock violation. They'd have, what, .2-.3 seconds left? The stars pretty much have to align perfectly for a score/foul to occur there. Yes, it happened, but I'm talking pure probability.

The odds of a live TO to a score is probably "low" risk, but the risk of what did happen, actually happening is a lot less.

I'm a big proponent of just getting into OT, whatever way possible. You would dramatically increase your odds getting another 5 mins.

The worst outcome of a 25fter is OT. The worst outcome of a TO is a loss. I'd go with the OT 100 times out of 100.
    I added the play-by-play just a few seconds ago. I still don't understand how the refs botched the clock at the end. 0:00.5 was never the right amount of time. At 0:01.9 it was a shot clock violation. Iggy had possession of the loose ball by about 0:01.5, maybe 0:01.7. So if its a no-call on the court, I don't see how the Nuggets lost another entire second in that situation. Remember, the official answer that the refs gave the Denver bench for why they refused to look at the monitor to verify the time was that they "didn't acknowledge the timeout out" until 0:00.5. But the shot clock violation should have stopped the clock sooner.

They clearly blew every aspect of this one... they didn't even get the "no-call" right in that situation because of the shot clock situation.

I understand allowing the "play-on" when the ball is loose and the shot clock expires during the bulk of the game. But when the clock is reading in tenths of a second, even if they don't "acknowledge" the time out until 0:00.5, how did they miss the shot clock violation and not reset the clock based on that?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Banned

I added the play-by-play just a few seconds ago. I still don't understand how the refs botched the clock at the end. 0:00.5 was never the right amount of time. At 0:01.9 it was a shot clock violation. Iggy had possession of the loose ball by about 0:01.5, maybe 0:01.7. So if its a no-call on the court, I don't see how the Nuggets lost another entire second in that situation. Remember, the official answer that the refs gave the Denver bench for why they refused to look at the monitor to verify the time was that they "didn't acknowledge the timeout out" until 0:00.5. But the shot clock violation should have stopped the clock sooner.

They clearly blew every aspect of this one... they didn't even get the "no-call" right in that situation because of the shot clock situation.

I understand allowing the "play-on" when the ball is loose and the shot clock expires during the bulk of the game. But when the clock is reading in tenths of a second, even if they don't "acknowledge" the time out until 0:00.5, how did they miss the shot clock violation and not reset the clock based on that?
    ChicagoJ I went back to look at the clock and the Pacers only had 17.8 seconds left.

By the way I also think is ridiculous for some people to act like this is an NFL game pretty much telling us that is better for the Pacers just to take a knee and go to overtime.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.