Thread: Buying a Hand gun (revolver) and want some advice.

Default Buying a Hand gun (revolver) and want some advice.

So I plan on buying a Gp100 Ruger 357 Mag for the home and I plan on going with the 4.2 inch barrel.

My question is does anybody own one and like or dislike it?

The other question is if anyone owns a revolver and absolutely loves their gun for whatever reason? I basically want to make sure I am not overlooking a good gun for the home.

Default Re: Buying a Hand gun (revolver) and want some advice.

Shoot (no pun intended) you've got a family member here on PD that could probably steer you better than anyone else. Will say a 357 is an excellent pistol for stopping someone and while for some reason folks get this idea revolvers are for old farts I like the choice.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you are looking for a weapon for purely self/home defense, you can't do any better than this. It probably isn't the best carry weapon, but that doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

I'd recommend alternating .410 shells with .45 Colts.

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shoot (no pun intended) you've got a family member here on PD that could probably steer you better than anyone else. Will say a 357 is an excellent pistol for stopping someone and while for some reason folks get this idea revolvers are for old farts I like the choice.
    I am sure he will post his recommendations but I like to get a wide range of opinions. I grew up around guns and my step father use to be a part time gunsmith so I can get a good recommendation on a gun but just like cars people have their favorites for whatever reason. I just like to learn what people prefer and what caliber best suits them.

My uncle would probably tell me to buy a old flint lock and practice my ball and patch reload. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    If you are looking for a weapon for purely self/home defense, you can't do any better than this. It probably isn't the best carry weapon, but that doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

I'd recommend alternating .410 shells with .45 Colts.

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm
    You are the second person to recommend this gun and I looked up some reviews on it. The main concern I had was that the 410 shells wouldn't drop someone. One of the reviews said that it wouldn't go through drywall. Not sure if that's true or not. The other concern I had was the muzzle flash in the dark and the recoil. I plan on training my wife on it and was going to go with 38 specials to limit the recoil and then load maybe the last 2 rounds with 357 rounds to punch through the front door which is made of thin steel on the outside and cheap foam on the inside. The 45 shell would do the same thing however.

The judge looks like a cool gun though and I would love to shoot it to see how the recoil and accuracy is. I really like that it can shoot 410 shells which removes the need to be that accurate in a pinch.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 01-31-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For home Defense...........hands down. Taurus Judge. Won't put anyone down? COme out to the range and stand in from of my .410 shotgun and let me shoot you. Really? Smith and Wesson makes a copycat called the Governor but the Judge has baffled grips that absorb the shock. I sold my Governor after only a week. They also now make a home defense .410 shell that alternates balls with disks....will flat put a hole in you. As for not going thru a wall...that is why I always have told people to buy a shotgun for home defense. You have a kid sleeping in another room.....a .357 slug will travel thru every wall in the house as long as it doesn't hit the stud. Shotgun pellets may take out one or two layers of drywall but they aren't going to travel thru the entire house.

PLUS.......(for those thinking of a semi-auto) you don't have to worry about whether the safety is on or if you injected a shell in the chamber. That is why I applaud your decision to go with a revolver....and never a worry about misfire either. BTW...you CAN have it both ways for they now make a shothell to be fired in a .38 spl or .357. But the pellets darn near look like birdshot.

And yes smartass.....I just built a blackpowder pistol to keep loaded and look like a wall hanger in case of home invasion and I can't get the gun safe open in time.

If you two want to meet me sometime I can take you over to the shooting range and you can try a couple.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 01-31-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

It will probably come down to whether or not the wife can handle it but it would be fun to go to the range and give it a try.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.

I have a Taurus 38 "ultra-lite". It packs a bit of a punch. But, it's not so bad that my wife can't handle it. I took her shooting with it a few months ago and she had a good time and is more comfortable with using a gun now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5GepjBRsM

btw...I do not recommend using 000 buckshot in this. I didn't hit a 4X8 sheet of plywood from about 20' away. Three pellets musta spread out one heckuva lot.

regarding these small .38 or .357 that are so popular now.
    Your choice is between one with a hammer and one without.

Without the hammer....conceals well in purse or pocket without worry of snagging on clothing as it is being drawn. Don't have to take that extra 1/4 second to **** the hammer back. But, due to the way most people pull a trigger, the aim is not as stable and you may shoot wide of your target. Then there is the shock of when the gun fires....without a hammer it is a bit more suprising.

With a hammer.....control/aim is increased as the action of drawing the hammer back tends to stabilize the weapon in your hand. That action also gives you that one more task to complete that makes you question the rightness of what you are doing (dumb thought, never draw the weapon until the rightness has been pre-determined).

However if you are talking home defense that really doesn't matter. If you are put in a defensive position in your bedroom, get down on the floor with the bed between you and the door/window. Rest the weapon on the mattress aimed at the intruder and wait for him to enter the room where you can see him clearly (be sure it's not your kid/spouse coming home late). Same thing in the living room, get down behind something and rest the gun on a couch/chair, ottoman whatever can help stablilize the gun for you. (note that in a home invasion you won't have that kind of time...but if you hear the intruder coming...)

I mentioned this in another thread elsewhere but just for those haters or those waffling: I'm 65 years old, overweight, and out of shape. My days of being Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris are long over. Yet I have a wife and kids that I am responsible for. Like it or not, it is my responsibility to provide for their protection. The only means at my disposal are my guns.
    IF you are able to make a 911 do so, but while waiting for the cops to arrive you have to provide for their protection. It's up to you to choose how you do so. Personally, in my best days I doubt I could have stopped a home invasion hand-to-hand and today, your karate training is likely going up against more than 1 armed attacker.
    It's your choice and I pray you never regret your choice no matter what you decide.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 02-01-2013 at 07:40 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You are the second person to recommend this gun and I looked up some reviews on it. The main concern I had was that the 410 shells wouldn't drop someone. One of the reviews said that it wouldn't go through drywall. Not sure if that's true or not. The other concern I had was the muzzle flash in the dark and the recoil. I plan on training my wife on it and was going to go with 38 specials to limit the recoil and then load maybe the last 2 rounds with 357 rounds to punch through the front door which is made of thin steel on the outside and cheap foam on the inside. The 45 shell would do the same thing however.

The judge looks like a cool gun though and I would love to shoot it to see how the recoil and accuracy is. I really like that it can shoot 410 shells which removes the need to be that accurate in a pinch.
    While this is a valid concern on its own, that is actually what makes the Judge such a great self defense weapon, and why I made the recommendation to alternate .410 shells with the .45 Colt rounds in the chamber. You are correct in that the .410 shells do not pack much in the way of stopping power, but that's not really their point with the Judge. The shot shells are used essentially more as a stunning agent. You hit an intruder with that first round of shot, which will likely at the very least slow them down considerably. Then blast him away with the .45 Colt you have ready to go in the next chamber. If you don't think that .45 Colt has enough stopping power, you've got some seriously badass intruders you're worried about.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    As for not going thru a wall...that is why I always have told people to buy a shotgun for home defense. You have a kid sleeping in another room.....a .357 slug will travel thru every wall in the house as long as it doesn't hit the stud. Shotgun pellets may take out one or two layers of drywall but they aren't going to travel thru the entire house.
    Bumped and high lighted as this thought is perfect!!!!!!!!!
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Bumped and high lighted as this thought is perfect!!!!!!!!!
    I agree you don't want to use 357 mags in your home especially with kids in the next room which is why I was leaning towards 38 specials hollow points. I already have a shotgun (ithaca) but I would like to have something easier to reload and where I can store it already loaded in a safe or with a trigger lock.

Mood

I have a Taurus .38 spl that I would gladly trade for that Ithaca, sir. Transfer required of course.

(not sure that your cousin would approve, but WTH...she hasn't used it in ages)

Mood

In my experience (yes I have had an intruder in my home) nothing quite puckers the behind of a bad guy like hearing a pump 12 gauge load up a round. That guy was up and outta there cartoon style leaving a little cloud of dust where he stood.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I don't own a gun, but If I were in the market for a self defense/ home defense weapon. I'd probably look at one of the smaller glock variants that have a laser sight option. Point and shoot where the red dot lands. Couldn't be any easier, you gotta remember if its dark in your house, that red laser dot will come in handy.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I don't own a gun, but If I were in the market for a self defense/ home defense weapon. I'd probably look at one of the smaller glock variants that have a laser sight option. Point and shoot where the red dot lands. Couldn't be any easier, you gotta remember if its dark in your house, that red laser dot will come in handy.
    You can pretty much put them on anything. A Glock is a fine weapon but you're certainly not limited to one.

This includes the aforementioned Taurus Judge.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...olvers/01-2450
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-06-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Just remember that laser or flashlight points in two directions.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just remember that laser or flashlight points in two directions.
    They do make an infrared version. It's primarily for the military and is basically worthless for home defense as nobody should be taking the time to put on a set of night vision goggles before taking aim but is pretty cool nonetheless.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    They do make an infrared version. It's primarily for the military and is basically worthless for home defense as nobody should be taking the time to put on a set of night vision goggles before taking aim but is pretty cool nonetheless.
    Besides, if you're a bad guy and you break into a house where they own a pair of night vision goggles, chances are you picked the wrong house and are in for a rough few minutes...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

I just re-worked all of my weapons. Gone are the big bang .45's for the smaller (higher capacity) 9mm's. I have too much arthritis in my shooting hand to keep putting up with the constant pounding. Besides, for what I sold the Kimber for, I was able to purchase both a Beretta and a Sig so I'm happy. I even found a source of ammo that will let me purchase 250 rounds at a time. As much as I go to the range, I go thru that pretty quickly.

Mood

I just rec'd spare mags that I purchased via eBay. I now have 7-15 round mags and 2-10 rounders. That's a total of 125 rounds.....If I wanted to load em all up for WWIII. But seriously, I have replacements now for when they wear out and you can't buy them. The 10 round mags are so I'll still have mags if they make us turn in the larger capacity ones.

Honestly, I'm not some kind of kook. Some people consider me boringly normal.

I just rec'd spare mags that I purchased via eBay. I now have 7-15 round mags and 2-10 rounders. That's a total of 125 rounds.....If I wanted to load em all up for WWIII. But seriously, I have replacements now for when they wear out and you can't buy them. The 10 round mags are so I'll still have mags if they make us turn in the larger capacity ones.

Honestly, I'm not some kind of kook. Some people consider me boringly normal.
    That fact that you felt the need to qualify any of this with the bolded statement, makes me really sad for America.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 03-07-2013 at 09:00 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yesterday I rec'd two more 15 round mags I forgot I had backordered from Cabela. That makes 9-15 rounders and two-10.

I wonder if I've forgotten any others I might have ordered???

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Yesterday I rec'd two more 15 round mags I forgot I had backordered from Cabela. That makes 9-15 rounders and two-10.

I wonder if I've forgotten any others I might have ordered???
    I wonder if Cabela's has a subscription service that automatically sends orders of ammo for all of the weapons a single person would own? That way, you would never forget to order it to start with and either it is unlikely that you would ever run out, or you have an ever increasing supply of ammo at hand for whatever emergency might come up, like a silhouette target with internal skeletal / organ depiction that gets just a little too threatening in its pose, or a bale of straw that is menacingly sitting in your back yard (as long as local laws permit target practice).

Mood

"So I plan on buying a Gp100 Ruger 357 Mag for the home and I plan on going with the 4.2 inch barrel".

Hey Gamble.........I saw one in stock at Beech Grove Firearms today.