Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goukas thinks Pacers won't make the playoffs...

Default Goukas thinks Pacers won't make the playoffs...

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6694221/ He doesn't think we will win 40 this year. Boy will he be surprised!

canyoufeelit

Default Re: Goukas thinks Pacers won't make the playoffs...

It really says a lot about the East when we can still compete. And it says more that after losing 7 straight we still were ahead of a lot of teams record-wise. Good to win one tonight too

Maybe he thinks we are in the west. In the east, losing record will get you in. There's no way we don't get in.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

He does realize we get 2 of our stars BACK, doesn't he? Guess not.

Question Re: Goukas thinks Pacers won't make the playoffs...

Maybe he knows David Stern real well and has some inside dope on the
    Pacers and Sterns nefarious plans.

owl

Pacers will make the playoffs, unless they have major injuries to key players.

I think its pretty well a concensus around the league that the Pacers don't have to worry too much about making the playoffs.

I had looked at the schedule and came up with 50-32. Is that too optimistic?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't really respect Goukas' opinion much before and I REALLY don't now. I don't like the timing of the article, anyone can write an article like this while a team has lost 7 in a row. This team is right there, even with the 7 game losing streak. The Pacers have the 6th seed and are only 2 games out of first. IF (and it's a big IF) this team can avoid anymore injuries, I think they will be around 2-3 out of first and holding the 5th or 6th seed when JO and SJax come back. The problem I've seen is that when Tinsley is out this team is in trouble. I've also seen 3 players (Reggie, Foster and AJ) trying to get in mid season form. Continuity is what this team needs. I like the addition of Michael Curry A LOT. He is what this team has needed for the last 2 years. I believe if Curry were a Pacer last year, his leadership would've gotten the team over the top. Leadership is very underrated in Pro sports and that guy has it.

Last night was a big win obviously, but I felt coming into the week this team could go 3-0 this week. I hope I'm right because if that happens I think there is a real good chance they could go on a 7 game win streak to end the calendar year.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Sports Logo

As long as we get the 8th seed (or whatever lets us play Detroit early) and beat the Pistons on their home floor I dont care what seed we have.

And where does he rank on your list of "Knowledgable people making correct predictions"

Goukas is an idiot. JO gets back Jan 15, right? I look at you going 4-9 over those 13 games or somewhere around that. That has you at 15-19.

JO is the key. Freddie's shown me that he's nearly as good as SJax - at least at times. But you've got to get that post player. Once JO's back you'll be an above .500 team. Hard to say how much but I'd say with 48 games you can at least go 30-18. That has you at 45-37, good for about the 6th seed. You could even be a few games better than that.

I look for JO to be a pure monster when he gets back. Fresh legs and that extra little edge - wouldn't surprise me to see him average 25 and 12 the rest of the way.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had looked at the schedule and came up with 50-32. Is that too optimistic?
    Probably, but who cares. Even if we squeek in as the 8th seed or so, it isn't going to be like 3 years ago squeeking in at 8th seed. If we are healthy, we are going to cut a pretty wide swath at playoff time. And if we get the suspensions reduced...even if we only get to 40 w's it doesn't matter. I almost like hanging back, letting our young guys get some playing time. Letting our stars rest, recover and work out.

Did you ever notice that the guy who takes the first lead in a marathon almost never wins? At mile 10 he is celebrating, and by mile 15 he's sucking wind and watching guys pass him. At mile 20, he's wondering if he's going to finish. The guy that wins hangs back. He doesn't get too far behind, but he doesn't fight for it either. In marathons, it's the last few miles that make all the difference. All the more so in the NBA.

The only guy I'm really worried about is Tinsley. Right now he's being expected to sprint the first ten miles. We need him ready to sprint the last couple of miles. That's why we so desperately need AJ and Gill to step up. We have to find ways to win (at least a few) games without running Tinsley into the ground early on.

Isn't Goukas the Cavs announcer.... Apparently Cleveland leading the division has been such a shock to his system that he can't think straight.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    JO is the key. Freddie's shown me that he's nearly as good as SJax - at least at times. But you've got to get that post player. Once JO's back you'll be an above .500 team. *snip*

*snip*
    I look for JO to be a pure monster when he gets back. Fresh legs and that extra little edge - wouldn't surprise me to see him average 25 and 12 the rest of the way.
    I agree. Both Foster and Harrison are foul prone, and its painful when the Pacers have to go small, and give up size, rebounding, and offensive post presence. Jackson is more important when Reggie leaves after this year (maybe). Right now its not much of a drop off (if any) to play Reggie and Freddie.

Of course it would be nice to get that other post presence back before the playoffs.

stipo

Well, one thing we are ALL counting on is that JO and SJax rejoin the team and that they don't miss a beat... that chemistry does nothing but improve.... that they are in game shape and hungry... and that several teams haven't went on some surprise winning streaks raising the bar in the East higher than in the past. Also, we aren't considering how important each and every game is and the effect of a couple of injuries when those guys do return.

And many of us are figuring the Pacers can hold their own and at least maintain a .500 record for when those guys return.

...But if any of those propositions don't pan out... Goukas could be right!

---
    We'll see I guess... I'm having a hard time imagining not making the playoffs but I guess I am looking at things thinking the cards will fall into place. Maybe that is being a bit overly optimistic?

-Bball

Hey, even if we don't make the play-offs maybe we'll end up like the Spurs when David Robinson went out one season with an injury and they did horroble...They ended up getting Tim Duncan in the draft that year. Now I'm not saying we should throw the season, I'm just saying that we might get an awesome draft pick if we do miss the play-offs.

Just looking at the best-case scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by PacersandIU
    Hey, even if we don't make the play-offs maybe we'll end up like the Spurs when David Robinson went out one season with an injury and they did horroble...They ended up getting Tim Duncan in the draft that year. Now I'm not saying we should throw the season, I'm just saying that we might get an awesome draft pick if we do miss the play-offs.

Hmm Best Case Scenario ??? not getting to the playoffs ?

Thats more like saying you have a nice plot on boot hill, or looking on the bright side.

A Best Case Scenario is that we have al 3 back before Christmas

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Well, one thing we are ALL counting on is that JO and SJax rejoin the team and that they don't miss a beat... that chemistry does nothing but improve.... that they are in game shape and hungry... and that several teams haven't went on some surprise winning streaks raising the bar in the East higher than in the past. Also, we aren't considering how important each and every game is and the effect of a couple of injuries when those guys do return.

And many of us are figuring the Pacers can hold their own and at least maintain a .500 record for when those guys return.

...But if any of those propositions don't pan out... Goukas could be right!

---
    We'll see I guess... I'm having a hard time imagining not making the playoffs but I guess I am looking at things thinking the cards will fall into place. Maybe that is being a bit overly optimistic?

-Bball
    Well, it isn't like you've even been able to put the same team of reserves on the floor. You'll only be a couple of games out of the playoffs at worst when JO gets back - unless he gets injured I can't see you missing them.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersandIU

I'm not a conspiracy theorist as a rule, BUT I do not think w/Czar Stern's recent history with the Pacers that there is any way he will allow the Pacers to get a pick in the top five.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

As I've said... I've kept Matt Guokas' article in mind ever since it was posted. As you can see here by my earlier post, it did cause me to reshape my thinking a bit.

But something else lately has struck me and I wanted to go back to this post in particular. There's a lot of people now talking about what a great accomplishment making the playoffs would be... but back then there was a great confidence that there was no way we missed the playoffs.

ABA was still predicting 50 wins. Even DK was confident in the Pacers not missing the playoffs. And of those of you that put in caveats about injuries, the odd thing is that before these recent injuries we were hardly a sure thing to make the playoffs (not that it is guaranteed now). We were trending down down down.

It's funny how the roller coaster goes I guess.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Keep in mind, the 50 wins was predicated on having JO and Tinsley too. Even I should have known better than that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

ImReppinBtown

This guy must be kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6694221/ He doesn't think we will win 40 this year. Boy will he be surprised!
    Even with all his Boogey-Man Prophecies tm coming true, we're still going to win more than 40 games. Goukas.