Thread: Favorite Pacers team?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Favorite Pacers team?

Kind of doing what Jay did, I'm inviting everyone to take a step back into history to try to get our minds off of everything that has been happening lately.

What is your favorite Pacers team that you have ever seen? If you wish, elaborate a little........

I would have to go with the 2002-2003 Pacers.

I know that many of you may wonder what the hell I am thinking when I say that perhaps the biggest underachieving team in the history of the franchise is my favorite.

But I thought this may have been the deepest team that the Pacers ever had. We were stacked that year. Many of you may know that I am a huge Brad Miller fan, and he of course had an all-star season that year.

I was a big Harrington fan to, though I think we did the right thing by trading him for Jax.

This team started out so hot, I really did believe that we were atleast going to make the ECF's. Poor coaching and a bad string of personal problems led to the crumbling of this talented team. This team could have achieved great things I think.

Default Re: Favorite Pacers team?

1999-2000...IMO, best NBA team never to win a championship...

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1999-2000...IMO, best NBA team never to win a championship...

I think that you've hit the nail on the head there. It's definitely the best team of the past 10 or so years to not win the title. That was such a well discpilined team of veterans who played so well together.

Unfortunately, they happened to run into Shaquille O'Neal, who was having one of the best seasons in NBA history, and they had no answer at all for him..........

We had an answer; it was called Hack-a-Shaq.

We had an answer; it was called Hack-a-Shaq.

Didn't work out that great considering they won in 6 and he averaged 38 in the series.

The thing about sending Shaq to the line all the time is that, yeah, he misses alot of freethrows, but he also makes alot too.........And when you foul him over and over like the Pacers did, those points add up.

I don't see how you can call hack-a-shaq an answer.

My favorite is the one two or maybe one year(s) in the future. Whenever JO and Hulk are starting together. I will be in heaven. Plus we'll be damn good.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

canyoufeelit

97-98 or whatever year it was when we lost to the Bulls in 7. That was Reggie's best year and the height of Millertime. His beyond the glory show says he hit 14 game winning FG that year... simply incredible... and that team would have beat the Jazz. Should have beat the Bulls, that one still hurts

94 will always be a special team for me. A real contender. Finally. Game in and game out a hard team to play. The city and state getting energized. The team playing with purpose. Simply refusing to lose by the 2nd half of the year. Real coaching. Playing the right way! People starting to finally believe....

-Bball

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    94 will always be a special team for me. A real contender. Finally. Game in and game out a hard team to play. The city and state getting energized. The team playing with purpose. Simply refusing to lose by the 2nd half of the year. Real coaching. Playing the right way! People starting to finally believe....

-Bball
    Ditto

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may not be right in the head, but I still stand by the 1990-91 team.

That first round series showed me what NBA playoff basketball was all about - sure I'd been to games in 1987 and 1990, but I didn't get a real taste of the playoffs until we came home from Boston tied 1-1.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I may not be right in the head, but I still stand by the 1990-91 team.

That first round series showed me what NBA playoff basketball was all about

I'm gonna have to agree with Bball and Peck....watching that 1994 playoff run was so much fun

Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, Derrick McKey, Dale Davis, and Rik Smits

Byron Scott, Sam Mitchell, Antonio Davis, Vern Fleming

It was a great mix of old and new. They played ferocious defense, and nearly shocked the world by getting to the finals. They also had Larry Brown, one of the best NBA coaches ever.

The '98 team. Closely followed by the '94 and '95 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball
    Exactly!! I loved it cause I think of all those years I would attend games and have to watch MSA filled up with fans of OTHER teams. Indiana was less than an afterthought to the country as an NBA threat. That's why it was soOOo sweet to beat the Magic in the playoffs for our first playoff series win. (Plus I HATED Dennis Scott and Penny Hype-away although I DID like Shaq.)

I'm not an officiating conspiracist, but to this day, that's the first time I felt the league fear us getting any further and it was reflected in the calls with our Knicks series.

I loved that a coach I loved, and still do, despite his idiocencracies (sp), had just come to town.

Most of all, it was my favorite team because I literally liked everyone on the squad. (Okay, Workman got on my nerves with his limited skills and Pooh, I was a bit ambivalent about) Go back and look at that roster.

Tell me some of the most fun you've had as a fan wasn't watching Antonio, Dale, Tank and Sam lay some hellascious picks. One time, during that series, Dale laid a screen on Oakley that literally knocked him on his ***. It was early on, and I loved it cause it said "We aren't going away."

Other years were fun and exciting for different reasons, but for me, That was the year that it was us, the no-name guys, against the world...the entire world, and we wouldn't back down.

Man, I'm getting a thrill just thinking back to it. Boy that was a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    I don't see how you can call hack-a-shaq an answer.
    I didn't say it was the right answer...And the Hack-a-Shaq technique was not what lost the team the series.

I didn't say it was the right answer...And the Hack-a-Shaq technique was not what lost the team the series.
    Why do you think we lost that series, because I don't think I agree with your comment.

We lost that series because we lost Game #2, which was the only game we played Hack-a-Shaq. With the 2-3-2 format, the lower-seeded team must split the first two games, because the lower-seeded team has never been able to sweep the three home games. SWe got hammered in game #1, and since we were down 3-2 when we went back to LA, we needed to win both games #6 and #7 to stay alive and win a championship. That's a pretty tall order.

In game #2, we wasted a 30 & 9 performance from Jalen and a 24 point performance by Austin. Shaq only hit 18 of his 39 FTs but still finished with 40 & 24. That game was winnable, but we were so preoccupied with Hack-a-Shaq that his 50% showing from the line was better than our offensive effeciency down the stretch.

I didn't mean to say it wasn't a factor because, you're right, it was...but I feel the team did not lose solely because of Shaq. There were some coaching decisions I really did not agree with in that series.

I didn't mean to say it wasn't a factor because, you're right, it was...but I feel the team did not lose solely because of Shaq. There were some coaching decisions I really did not agree with in that series.
    I'll buy that.

Mostly, I just wanted to type that Jalen had 30 and 9 in an NBA Finals game, playing for the Pacers. Man, I miss him, sometimes.

1994 was a special season I'll never forget.

Jay ? 1991? oh my

Mood

I must say, the team that took the Lakers to the finals was so fun to watch. Also, any Pacers team that ever beat the Knicks. I must, these next couple sure do look good too. Different thread though, so, I'll just go with the Finals team and Reggie vs. NY.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake