Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,796

    Default Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    The Toronto Raptors would prefer to trade Kyle Lowry over Jose Calderon, according to league sources.

    Lowry was acquired last offseason from the Houston Rockets in exchange for Gary Forbes and a future first-round lottery pick.

    Lowry is averaging 13.8 points and 5.8 assists in 27.7 minutes behind Calderon.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...lakers-in-bind
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,796

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Trading Hill straight up for Lowry would work (under the CBA) and we would be taking on less salary.

    Though I love Hill and his defense, Lowry, IMO, would be an upgrade at the PG spot because of his true PG nature
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. #3

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    GET IT DONE KEVIN!!!!

    Edit- no way we trade GH for Lowry.....no way

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,796

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GET IT DONE KEVIN!!!!

    Edit- no way we trade GH for Lowry.....no way
    why do you say that?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  6. #5
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My question is: Why? I thought when he arrived in Toronto he was seen as this great acquisition and that Lowry was the two-way point guard to Jose being more one-way?

    Does Lowry keep getting bounced because of his personality or something like that?

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Amazing that it has taken Toronto all this time to realize what they have in Calderon, underrated.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why do you say that?
    Mainly because George Hill is a better player than Lowry. Your argument for Lowry is his better PGness. It is my understanding that is the reason he's lost favor in Toronto is Calderon being a better 'pure PG'. Plus Hill is tougher, better shooter and a better clutch performer.

    All that said, I would love to have Lowry as a Pacer. IMO, he is a better player than DJA. If the Pacers can get him for a fair price, then great. If Toronto wants too much, then that's OK also. Lowry would be an upgrade, but he's not good enough to trade someone the Pacers need for him.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  10. #8

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Some of you guys see this pattern right?
    -Decent point guard is available
    -"HE MUST BE AN UPGRADE OF WHAT WE HAVE. A PURE PG RIGHT HERE. HE HAS MORE ASSIST DEN OUR POINT GUARDS"
    -We get him
    -He disappoints.

    I'm content with our solid scorer and defender. George Hill for Lowry will be a lateral move at best.

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:


  12. #9

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My question is: Why? I thought when he arrived in Toronto he was seen as this great acquisition and that Lowry was the two-way point guard to Jose being more one-way?

    Does Lowry keep getting bounced because of his personality or something like that?
    He keeps getting injured, and then his replacement in this case Calderon) plays well in his absence. Considering his productivity when healthy, there has to be something that isn't quite right though, ego, attitude, ??
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  13. #10
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm content with our solid scorer and defender. George Hill for Lowry will be a lateral move at best.
    Agreed. And losing Hill would seem like a huge blow in the locker room. I'm not sure how the rest of the starting 5 would feel if they lose Hill for someone that wouldn't be a drastic improvement.

  14. #11
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon


    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He keeps getting injured, and then his replacement in this case Calderon) plays well in his absence. Considering his productivity when healthy, there has to be something that isn't quite right though, ego, attitude, ??
    according to Hoopshype he has worn out his welcome yet again. He did the same thing with Kevin Mchale with the Rockets. It seems to be a trend. I like Lorwy a bit better as a player than Hill but with his baggage and what Hill does in the locker room and court I would prefer Hill to him for our team.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,379

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    I'm surprised that Lowry signed a 2 year contract with the Raptors where the 2nd year is a partial guaranteed contract ( only $1 mil guaranteed ).

    He's essentially on a 1 year contract....with what amounts to a 2nd year Team option.

    I'd send them DJ and a future 2nd round draft pick and leave it at that. Given his contract...he's a low-risk / high reward type Player.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  20. #14

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    I was thinking more of Gerald Green + DJ for Lowry.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    The fact that he signed a contract with one year that's unguaranteed or partially guaranteed is another red flag to me. Why do that unless you know you're a risk to your team? Could be health, could be personality, but whatever it is, that's a warning.

  23. #16
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,579
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of you guys see this pattern right?
    -Decent point guard is available
    -"HE MUST BE AN UPGRADE OF WHAT WE HAVE. A PURE PG RIGHT HERE. HE HAS MORE ASSIST DEN OUR POINT GUARDS"
    -We get him
    -He disappoints.

    I'm content with our solid scorer and defender. George Hill for Lowry will be a lateral move at best.
    You forgot one point:

    -Board comes up with unbelievably bad trades to acquire said PG

    Green + Tyler + pick for Lowrey!

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    856

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Yikes. They traded a lottery pick for him. If they're looking to just dump his salary to keep Jose next year we could be an option, we have a few expirings in DJ and Pendy, I'd throw in a first too.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    That right there is why I would pass, unless they are giving him away. There's a reason he keeps getting demoted after being hailed as "the man".

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You forgot one point:

    -Board comes up with unbelievably bad trades to acquire said PG

    Green + Tyler + pick for Lowrey!
    Better be a second round pick because you are giving away too much

  30. #20
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Lowry is a nice player, but I think moving Hill for him is a lateral move. It would probably cause more issues with the locker room and PR (Hill being a local guy), then it would help.

  31. #21
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    856

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That right there is why I would pass, unless they are giving him away. There's a reason he keeps getting demoted after being hailed as "the man".
    He gets injured, and then his replacement steps in and has monster games. No one in that organization has ever said anything bad about him, things have just been going well with Calderon starting.

  32. #22
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets injured, and then his replacement steps in and has monster games. No one in that organization has ever said anything bad about him, things have just been going well with Calderon starting.
    Calderon has been doing the same thing today as he has in years past. They want to replace calderon, who absolutely a good player, because he's a below average starting point guard. (in a league of point guards that isn't as bad as it sounds). It is something they've tried before, but they've simply brought in guards that aren't nearly as good as they thought they would be. Kyle Lowery can't out play Calderon, Dragic, and hypothetically Lin.

    Lowry isn't that good. He would be a down grade if we replaced Hill.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets injured, and then his replacement steps in and has monster games. No one in that organization has ever said anything bad about him, things have just been going well with Calderon starting.
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he butted heads with people in the Rockets organization, maybe after being benched in favor of Dragic.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    856

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calderon has been doing the same thing today as he has in years past. They want to replace calderon, who absolutely a good player, because he's a below average starting point guard. (in a league of point guards that isn't as bad as it sounds). It is something they've tried before, but they've simply brought in guards that aren't nearly as good as they thought they would be. Kyle Lowery can't out play Calderon, Dragic, and hypothetically Lin.

    Lowry isn't that good. He would be a down grade if we replaced Hill.
    I've always had Lowry in the same tier as guys like Jrue and Conley. That said, no way I trade Hill for him. Lowry just can't stay healthy long enough to trade someone like Hill away.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he butted heads with people in the Rockets organization, maybe after being benched in favor of Dragic.
    I was talking about the Raptors in which everyone is really complimentary, unless I've been misinterpreting "pitbull" this whole time. I do remember reports of him butting heads after the benching, and I also remember reports that it was exaggerated.

  37. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he butted heads with people in the Rockets organization, maybe after being benched in favor of Dragic.
    He got hurt and lost his starting spot to Dragic.

Similar Threads

  1. Calderon, Raptors working to facilitate trade [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 09:50 PM
  2. Sources: Raptors' Calderon would prefer trade [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 09:10 PM
  3. Rockets trade Lowry to Raptors for pick, player [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  4. Sources: Raptors on verge of acquiring Lowry [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •