Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Sign Michael Curry; Release Fowlkes

Default Pacers Sign Michael Curry; Release Fowlkes

sweabs

Default Re: Pacers Sign Michael Curry; Release Fowlkes

That was my first guess to who we would sign when everything happened. I was surprised we took Johnsen and Fowlkes without Curry.

In Toronto last year - Kevin O'Neil was obsessed with Curry. He loves him for defensive purposes. And I guess he was on Detroit when O'Neil and Carlisle were there? Not to mention, O'Neil always commented on Curry's veteran leadership and attitude. That could be a good thing during these times to go along with Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we now have the President of the Players Association on the roster? Nice, another reason for Stern to hate us.

I think that his position on the President of the Players Association will do nothing but benefit us. The Union is strong and him being a part of this team can only help.

King Mob

I think this has more to do with the suspension appeals. There was a small bit of controversy at the beginning of the season over the validity of Curry's presidency, apparently because the President of the Player's Association has to be an active NBA player, and Curry hadn't been signed by anyone. The Pacers may have signed him to keep this from becoming an issue during the appeal process.

I'm fairly certain it's not because of anything that he brings to the playing floor. He's two seasons removed from being a presence defensively, and has never been a contributor on offense. Around here he's known as the Binary Man, because his box score typically reads: 0-1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0 etc. Curry is done.

Mood

I welcome Curry. He's a SF, and his best quality is his defense. How can that NOT help?

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at SF until Jackson is back.

Word in Toronto was that Curry lost favor with his teamates as he was seen by the players as an informant to the coaches. O'Neal was using him as a buffer to the players but when things went off the deep end it seems Curry chose his side (and apparantly chose correctly).

Carlise LOVED Curry as well in Detroit, staying with him as a starter till the 11th hour when he was faced with a win or go home game 5 of the playoff series between the Pistons and the Magic.

Curry's one of the worst players in the NBA (offensively he's a nothing and his defense is just average at this point), but he's smart and a good leader. Carlisle has always loved him.

Yeah, I saw Tremaine Fowlkes in Detroit all last season. I should have warned you guys that he was terrible too.

canyoufeelit

It would be a great idea to keep Curry after the season as a personal coach/mentor for Artest. Anyone else think so?

LAPacer

Boo... I don't like the Curry signing.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LAPacer
    Boo... I don't like the Curry signing.
    Why not? Expound, if you please.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

can he be any worse than Johnsen and Fowlkes ?

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    can he be any worse than Johnsen and Fowlkes ?

He's old and has no potential. He was never that good even in his prime. At least Fowlkes was athletic. I saw him make some decent hustle plays. If he could develop a jumper, he could be useful.

I figure we could have signed a Gary Trent or someone to help our size, since Harrison is always fouling out and Foster isn't ready to play 40+ minutes

I'll take Curry over Fowlkes and Johnsen any day. Hell they could have gotten rid of Edwards for that matter. Edwards is about the most worthless piece of crap the Indiana Pacer bench has ever given splinters to in the franchise history.

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    I'll take Curry over Fowlkes and Johnsen any day. Hell they could have gotten rid of Edwards for that matter. Edwards is about the most worthless piece of crap the Indiana Pacer bench has ever given splinters to in the franchise history.

100% Agree. Fowlkes sucks, but Edwards sucks even more. They should have cut Edwards instead.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by LAPacer
    He's old and has no potential. He was never that good even in his prime. At least Fowlkes was athletic. I saw him make some decent hustle plays. If he could develop a jumper, he could be useful.

I figure we could have signed a Gary Trent or someone to help our size, since Harrison is always fouling out and Foster isn't ready to play 40+ minutes
    If you're concerned about Curry's hustle...don't be. He will go to work every night. He's a hard-nosed guy who gives 110% every time he steps on the floor. A lot of the things he does won't show up on the stat sheet...but he'll be a nice addition to the TEAM. I'd rather have a guy like Curry, who won't be looking to prove anything to other teams, and search for a contract (cough...Haislip).

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    If you're concerned about Curry's hustle...don't be. He will go to work every night. He's a hard-nosed guy who gives 110% every time he steps on the floor. A lot of the things he does won't show up on the stat sheet...but he'll be a nice addition to the TEAM. I'd rather have a guy like Curry, who won't be looking to prove anything to other teams, and search for a contract (cough...Haislip).

I agree with you on Haislip. Good point. I'm just not excited about Curry. Boooooo!

King Mob

Curry just doesn't have anything left in the tank. He does always give 110%, but that doesn't amount to much anymore. He can't keep anyone in front of him anymore and he's never been even a decent scorer. Carlisle and O'Neill loved him because he was a vocal leader on the floor and made sure everyone talked to each other on defense. If you're looking for a solid lockerroom guy, you can't get much better, but if you're looking for someone to do more than provide decent defense at the end of quarters, you're barking up the wrong tree. As much as he sucks, Fowlkes is better.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by King Mob
    Curry just doesn't have anything left in the tank. He does always give 110%, but that doesn't amount to much anymore. He can't keep anyone in front of him anymore and he's never been even a decent scorer.
    Okay...he might not be the greatest scorer. But he definitely can still play defense. I watched him all last year, and he certainly gives guys a tough time...he can stay in front of his man and bothers them constantly.

And to say he has nothing left in the tank may also be a bit pretentious. He's an energy player...works hard...and I remember him throwing down some nasty dunks on big men last year. Believe it or not.

Carlisle and O'Neill loved him because he was a vocal leader on the floor and made sure everyone talked to each other on defense. If you're looking for a solid lockerroom guy, you can't get much better.
    I agree...that was the one thing players and coaches always said last year from the Raptors. Everyone looked up to him as a mentor and he was like an extra coach out there.

As much as he sucks, Fowlkes is better.
    Although I don't think this is true, I'll still take Curry any day. He's a much better fit for the team right now. At least he can actually PROVIDE some minutes...as opposed to sitting on the bench doing no good.

P.S. Even if all Curry did was sit on the bench, he would be 100x better than Fowlkes in that position because of his leadership qualities and knowledge for the game.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like people have said, he's better than nothing, which is what Fowkles pretty much was.

I am satisfied with Curry, although I still don't know why they have not signed Randy Holcomb, except now that I think about it he might have signed overseas.

uuhh oops
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

sowwy, he plays in the Greek A1 league:

http://www.eurobasket.com/GREteam.asp?Team=277
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mike Curry....re-united with Rick Carlisle......oh.my.god.

Mike Curry is a very nice defensive player.

He's unselfish.

He plays within the team system.

And you will all curse the day you signed him.

Have fun with the defenses not even bothering to guard curry on the floor....it sure played hell on my mind for 3 years......

I'm sure most of you remember my priceless curry rants from 2 years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Defenses really bother to guard anyone on the floor at this point anyway, and I can't argue with their results having won 7 straight. Besides, it's not like he's going to get off the bench more than a couple minutes right now, or even be on the roster in a month.
    See, thats EXACTLY the same thing I heard from Raptors fans last year. And Curry was the starting SF within a month.

For your sake, I hope you're right, I really do. I wouldn't wish Michael Curry on anybody.

But Carlisle's love with Curry knows no bounds. Its really disturbing.