Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

  1. #1
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    https://twitter.com/espnsteinline/st...74794869985280

    Mark Stein tweeted, "@ESPNSteinLine: Charlotte Bobcats announce they're "in contact w/the NBA and conducting our own due diligence" relative to reclaiming old Hornets nickname"

    Just wondering your thoughts on this one. I think the NBA will award them the "Hornets" name back, and justly so.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Great. Until this change they had the worst name in the NBA. Pelicans took that over, but they are distancing themselves further.

    Pelicans, seriously?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Sounds great. I have been almost-calling them the Charlotte Hornets for a while now. Now I'll get to recorrect myself twice when I say "The Charlotte Hornets, I mean Bobcats, no wait, I meant Hornets!"

    I think the Bobcats name is cursed. Hopefully it stays away.

    Random note: has anyone else noticed that New Orleans Pelicans shortened is NOP? I'm sure they'll stick with NOR or something.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  6. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,905

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    How can you reclaim what was never yours?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    483
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Unless they are gonna be reclaiming "gran-mama" and "zo" then it won't be long before Vancouver or Mexico City will be reclaiming that franchise...

  10. #6
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,226

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Utah should have given up Jazz to New Orleans. Utah Jazz makes no farking sense. I know they've had the name for a long time, but let's honest, it's not very good.

    Utah Bisons has a nice ring to it. Or Utah Fighting Mormons (not really).
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    472

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Nice. Maybe I could break out my Charolette Hornets starter jacket from when I was like 5. Really though, I've always like the Hornet as a mascot. Id hate to see it completely retired.
    I Bleed Blue

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Member TheRyanExpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Illi-noise
    Posts
    165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    I fully support this idea. I was a kid in the 90's and the Charlotte Hornets were 'cool.' Obviously that's not the sole reason they should come back, but that name does have meaning and would re-energize a fan base of a team that has had zero identity since it entered the league. A name change alone won't sell out arenas, but it may help get some people interested in the team again. And for as ugly as the teal and purple jerseys were, it would be great to see them again.

  15. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Maybe New orleans should get Jazz back also.

    What would be a good name for Utah.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,904

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    The Jazz like their name and aren't giving it up.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,027

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    I remember watching something about teams changing cities and how the Jazz moved to Utah where music is illegal. It was jovial in nature of course but it's the same as the Lakers name in LA where there aren't a thousand lakes like in Minnesota, so it doesn't make any geographical or historical sense. I think the Bobcats' problems run deeper than just getting their old name back, I mean they haven't fielded a good team but once in the past several years, even before they moved the team to New Orleans. Has Charlotte gone without a really good team since the days of Zo and Larry Johnson?
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,021
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe New orleans should get Jazz back also.

    What would be a good name for Utah.
    I have no idea what would be a good name. Minus race and religion what is there to Utah. Utah Peaks?

  22. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,905

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Utah should have given up Jazz to New Orleans. Utah Jazz makes no farking sense. I know they've had the name for a long time, but let's honest, it's not very good.

    Utah Bisons has a nice ring to it. Or Utah Fighting Mormons (not really).
    No and no. It does make sense because New Orleans is part of that franchises history. Just because they are in Utah now does not suddenly mean that the New Orleans branch of their history is obsolete. The only way it doesn't make sense is if you don't know any history about the Jazz. You don't become a new team when you change home cities, you stay the same team you just live somewhere else. It is no different than when you move to a different city. Unless you are part of a witness protection program you don't change your name when you move to a different city. You don't suddenly become a different person.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what would be a good name. Minus race and religion what is there to Utah. Utah Peaks?
    Utah Duelling Peaks (or Dual Peaks)?
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    The Utah Censor(s)?

    The Utah Standards?

    The Utah Unflavored?

    The Utah Salt?

    The Utah Snow?

    The Utah Kolob?

    The Utah Golden Plates?

    The Utah Nice People?

    The Utah Polygamists?

    The Utah Hicks is Taking This Way Too Far?

  27. #16

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Utah Sting, Utah Buzz, Utah Stingers, something like that.

  28. #17
    Master Of Ceremony SpADeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hot as Hell, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember watching something about teams changing cities and how the Jazz moved to Utah where music is illegal. It was jovial in nature of course but it's the same as the Lakers name in LA where there aren't a thousand lakes like in Minnesota, so it doesn't make any geographical or historical sense. I think the Bobcats' problems run deeper than just getting their old name back, I mean they haven't fielded a good team but once in the past several years, even before they moved the team to New Orleans. Has Charlotte gone without a really good team since the days of Zo and Larry Johnson?
    I believe it was the beginning to BASEketball. If only that sport really existed, I could've been pretty good at it.

    Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpADeD For This Useful Post:


  30. #18

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Utah should go back to their ABA name, the Utah Stars.

  31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Utah should have given up Jazz to New Orleans. Utah Jazz makes no farking sense. I know they've had the name for a long time, but let's honest, it's not very good.

    Utah Bisons has a nice ring to it. Or Utah Fighting Mormons (not really).
    Ummm, I had to look this up 'cause it didn't sound right and I ain't no good at English, but it'd be the Utah Bison, which can refer to the singular or plural, like deer.

    Either way, dem r good eats.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:


  34. #20

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Utah should go back to their ABA name, the Utah Stars.

    I was thinking the samething.

    Or something to do with the transcon railroad... Golden Spikes?

  35. #21
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Utah Duelling Peaks (or Dual Peaks)?
    Twin Peaks, right? Or if the twins are duelling, that'd be Quad Peaks.

    Are we still talking about basketball?

    Hard to concentrate with pacergod2's photo in view. Dem r good peaks too.

  36. #22
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    27
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Utah Salt Licks


  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:


  38. #23
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Utah Salt Licks
    LOL

    That's against state law.

    Utah Non-Sodomites

    Utah Stalagmites

    Utah Men in Tights

    Utah Sheep have Rights

  39. #24
    Member Grover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    83

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    Utah King to Me?

    I don't see anybody else around, so...

  40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grover For This Useful Post:


  41. #25

    Default Re: Bobcats to Reclaim "Hornets" Nickname?

    If Utah had a new name, it would be the Pioneers. Book it.

    Mormons are super proud of being pioneers. Most of Utah and Idaho were "discovered" (sorry, Native Americans) by Mormons.

    Pioneer Day is a government holiday in Utah. The Oregon Trail was a computer game created by Mormons to celebrate their past. Ever wonder why it is such a big deal when you get to Independence, MO in Oregon Trail? Independence is the Mormon holy land. Yep.

    Anyway, "Pioneers" would be a sneaky Mormon mascot, much like "Express" would have been a sneaky FedEx mascot for the Tennessee Titans back in the day.

  42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
  4. Attention Jose, "Cap anomaly gives Bobcats room."
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 04:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •