The only thing about the loss, well other than the fact that it is a loss, is that the Nets & Bulls keep winning. We have such a small margin of error for home court playoff positioning that almost any loss is devastating.
However we have to balance that with the fact that early on in the season we were just happy to even be talking about the playoffs.
Like I said hardly the end of the world, they had lost 6 in a row and I’m certain they didn’t want to lose a 7th. They got big games from their stars and their role players showed up and even their bench scored 3 more points this game than they average.
They had some help though, I thought Lance had a pretty pedestrian game and seemed to let fouls take him mentally out of the game. Paul also got into foul trouble early and I don’t think he had his best game of the season either. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining about him because he’s had a great year to date but I just didn’t feel this was one of his better games.
I think we made a mistake in not trying to go to Roy more often in the post, 10 shot attempts just didn’t feel right tonight. I’m not always in favor of going there but it just seemed that when he was able to establish post position good things happened.
Tonight is just going to be bullet point style:
• Too many three point shots. 23 attempts were just too many. There is a reason why that shot is almost always open, its low % and often leads to transition baskets by the opposition.
• Too few free throw attempts which just tells me we were shooting too many three point shots and perimeter jumpers. Only Mahinmi & West drew fouls going to the basket on more than one occasion tonight.
• What in the name of God made Frank think that DJ Augustin could guard Lillard for any length of time? I’m all for benching Green but not at the expense of seeing DJ on the floor for nearly 20 min. While his shooting is improved his defense is still abysmal.
• In fairness to DJ tonight Hill’s on ball defense appeared to best be described as “man with swivel on neck” as he watched Lillard advance to wherever he wanted to on the floor.
• J.J. Hickson could have been gotten for a song and a dance last year, now you couldn’t get him without giving up at least a mid first round pick and a decent player. I was screaming last year to do anything we could to get him but that ship has sailed now.
• I love Mahinmi but man he fouls a lot.
• I really need to go back and look at all of those charging fouls that were called on us because either we are both the dumbest/strongest team in the league or there were a couple of flops. I mean the Portland players would routinely fly 4-5’ back after contact, I’m not sure if they weren’t fouled but that just seems fishy.
• At the end of the day the problem was they had a big man who could routinely hit that outside jumper thus taking Roy away from the basket yet Roy couldn’t get out there fast enough. I’m not that worried because in the long term scheme of things most players will miss more than they make of those and he was just on fire tonight.
• The Jazz will be out for blood but I don’t think they have anyone like Aldridge to take us out of our game. It will be tough though.
• We need Danny
I hate this song but I think we all need to suffer together as a bonding measure.