Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52

Thread: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

  1. #26
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I was talking to Ron face to face, I'd call him World Peace. Anything less could result in, well, who knows what really when you're dealing with him...
    If I saw him face to face, I'd call him Dick...seriously!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  2. #27
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,352
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Eh, Ron Artest has one fewer syllable than Metta World Peace. It's easier to say.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Well, as you may recall, rookies call him Metta World Peace and veterans call him Ron. This thread made me take another look at what's up with that.


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:


  5. #29

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Don't a lot of people close to him still call him Ron? It just seems terribly silly.

  6. #30
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, as you may recall, rookies call him Metta World Peace and veterans call him Ron. This thread made me take another look at what's up with that.

    .
    .

    Thank you for finding a clip that absolutely pulls together all the various themes of this thread: Metta's name, who still calls him Ron, J. Christ, and totally wacked out nuts-crazy name changers.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Ron or Artest or Ron Artest.

    It's never going to happen, but if I had personal encounters with him, and he made it clear he had a problem with that or otherwise insisted I call him MWP, I'd likely be courteous and call him Metta.

  9. #32
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron or Artest or Ron Artest.

    It's never going to happen, but if I had personal encounters with him, and he made it clear he had a problem with that or otherwise insisted I call him MWP, I'd likely be courteous and call him Metta.
    It's never going to happen for me either. But here's what I might say:

    "Ron, I like you. Always have. But I just don't see you as a global political figure or a serious ambassador for world peace. You're really just kind of a crazy basketball player, but a darn good one, who's created a lot of chaos. I'm just gonna respectfully stick with Ron if that's okay. Thanks."
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  10. #33

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    It's disrespectful not to call someone by the name they want to be called. In my opinion it says more about the person refusing to use the name than it does about the person who changed their name.

    There's really no reason not to call him MWP. It's no more difficult than Ron.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  12. #34
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't a lot of people close to him still call him Ron? It just seems terribly silly.
    I'm like 99.9% positive that I've seen an interview where they asked what he prefers, and he said it didn't matter.

  13. #35
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    This thread reminds me of when the Broncos built Invesco Field in 2001 and the Denver media outlets absolutely refused to address the stadium as anything other than Mile High Stadium for several years after.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  15. #36
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's disrespectful not to call someone by the name they want to be called. In my opinion it says more about the person refusing to use the name than it does about the person who changed their name.

    There's really no reason not to call him MWP. It's no more difficult than Ron.
    I understand this opinion and think it has merit. I disagree in certain circumstances, as is obvious from my posts. But I think the whole thing is a bit of a fascinating philosophical issue. Who names? Who gets to name? What is the power of names? Are individuals absolutely completely autonomous or must they at certain points defer to the "reality" of others?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  16. #37
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    I have no problem at all with whatever anyone wants to be called or people legally changing their names. Half the actors in Hollywood are using stage names. Sports is just another form of entertainment so eh, why not? I can understnd both sides of it, but for me, what someone wants to be called isn't an issue important enough to allow myself to give it much thought or upset the person wanting the name change. I didn't always feel this way, in fact if you dig up the thread from when Metta changed his name, there's a good possibility I made fun of him in it.

    Hell, one of my aunts was Aunt Lynn until she was about 45 years old and she suddenly began telling eveyrone her name was now "Jennifer". That's not her middle name or anything she just wanted to be Jennifer now. Fine with me, but almost everyone else in my family thinks she's crazy and that's not even a strange name like Metta World Peace.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    People still call me Hicks...

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People still call me Hicks...
    You still ARE Hicks.


    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People still call me Hicks...
    I'm gonna need to see a judge's ruling saying that I can't.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  24. #41
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,350
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Ron still answers to Ron if you talk to him.

  25. #42
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,577

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    I call him Insane Idiot.
    Thank you Jeff.

  26. #43
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You still ARE Hicks.


    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm gonna need to see a judge's ruling saying that I can't.
    Look at these children! No respect at all!


  27. #44
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at these children! No respect at all!

    We are only your children if you are Hicks.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  28. #45
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Technically, you never asked to be called anything different....

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  30. #46
    Gold Swagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,394
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    This thread reminds my of a little story.

    "Who is Jack Schitt?"

    The lineage is finally revealed. Many people are at a loss for a response when someone says, "You don't know Jack Schitt!" Now you can
    intellectually handle the situation.

    Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt and O. Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt
    Inc.

    In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt, and the deeply religious couple produced 6 children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull
    Schitt, and the twins Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt.

    Against her parents objections, Deap Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

    After being married 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced. Noe Schitt later remarried Ted Sherlock and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Schitt-Sherlock.

    Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they produced a son with a nervous disposition, Chicken Schitt.

    Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a double ceremony.

    The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens wedding. The Schitt-Happens children were: Dawg, Byrd, and Hoarse.

    Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world. He recently returned from Italy with his new bride, Pisa Schitt.

    So now when someone says, You don't know Jack Schitt!" you can correct them. Just tell them that Crock O. Schitt told you all about them.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  32. #47
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    I call him "mother****er".

  33. #48
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,312

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I call him "mother****er".
    clever.

    By the way, there is a scene in Roots that is relevant to this question, isn't there?

  34. #49
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Don't focus on the spelling... Think of it this way: Meta World Piece... Then extrapolate that out to think about whether he is a piece of something and what that might be.
    Now anyone having trouble calling him Meta World Piece should have no problem in print or in person saying "Hey Meta World Piece...."
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  36. #50
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Calling Ron Ron "World Peace"

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    clever.

    By the way, there is a scene in Roots that is relevant to this question, isn't there?
    Always trying to bust my balls. Illinois been exposed yet? How many more losses till that's a thing?

Similar Threads

  1. Can we please stop calling this team "Smashmouth"
    By Hypnotiq in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
  3. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
  4. Browns fans calling our D "Thugs"
    By pacercoltfan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
  5. Good article calling out "Big Shot Bob" Horry
    By flakcatcher in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •