Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

Default Re: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Karl Malone was MVP twice.
    I was thinking he did once... Forgot about the other... But Pacer Fans point is still valid... Multiple players every season "dominate the league"...

JO, Dirk, and Timmy D were the 3 best PFs in the game at the time JO finished 3rd in the MVP race...

I was born and raised in Indiana... Jermaine is the reason I became the die-hard, bleed blue and gold Pacers fan that I am today... It breaks my Pacers heart that so many of our fans hold so much disdain for him... Things didn't work out... But you are 100% wrong if you think JO didn't give everything he had for our franchise... And shouldn't that be all that we ask of a player?
    Last edited by J7F; 01-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    He's the only NBA Pacers player to ever be in top-3 in MVP voting. You sure you want to go there? I'm pretty sure he's actually the only Pacers NBA player to ever be in the top-10 in MVP voting.

The 17-fadeaways did not start appearing in his game until 2006-07. Especially under Isiah Thomas, he was never more than 12 feet from the basket. He wasn't out there until the third year under Carlisle, although that NJ series that year is full of horrific memories of JO's ugly 17 foot fadeaway.

We'd need to double-check Reggie's MVP votes. I know there were about three times that he was on the "also receiving votes" list. JO probably got more votes for MVP over those two seasons than Reggie had MVP votes in his career. Reggie clearly had more longevity, but JO's peak seasons were at such a high level that only Pacers fans would complain about them.

After 2005-06, definetely overpaid. Up until then? No, he earned and was worth that contract.
    Who was # 3 in MVP voting two season ago? How about 4 seasons ago? Don't know, neither do I because nobody cares but people who continually want to throw up the fact that J.O. was so good that he was almost the MVP but fail to state how many votes separated one, two & three.

Here is one that I do happen to know though, who was 3rd in MVP voting the year before J.O. was 3rd in voting? This one I do know, it was Peja with the Kings.

Now knowing that he was 3rd in MVP voting does that really make you all that confident that 3rd place voting for MVP means anything? It doesn't to me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The JO bashing that goes on here NEVER ceases to amaze me and is REALLY irritating.

Arte... I mean "World Peace?" Sure, go ahead.

Tinsley? Ok.

Stephen Jackson... Heck, why not? He rides together with WMP and Tins, right?

But come on guys. JO was and still IS probably the second best player to ever wear a Pacers uniform in the NBA, and has repeatedly and openly (while playing for other organizations) expressed his love and fondness of the Indiana Pacers, his time here, and the fans. And this is the treatment he receives?

Things didn't end that well. I get it. He is a human, and like all other humans sometimes perhaps he said or did something(s) that he probably would do differently if he could.

Fact remains, he was a DAMN good player for our basketball team, and he's also a really nice guy in 'real life' and went out of his way (perhaps not to Hibbert-like levels, but still) to interact and be a part of the fans community.

"If you can't say something nice..."
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

per his twitter

Jermaine O'Neal ‏@jermaineoneal
    People should be ashamed of there selves for reporting things to the public that are absolutely not true! smdh!

Altercation? False! Argument about a coaching change or coaching hire? Even more false! That's is not my position or job to determine that!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Who was # 3 in MVP voting two season ago? How about 4 seasons ago? Don't know, neither do I because nobody cares but people who continually want to throw up the fact that J.O. was so good that he was almost the MVP but fail to state how many votes separated one, two & three.

Here is one that I do happen to know though, who was 3rd in MVP voting the year before J.O. was 3rd in voting? This one I do know, it was Peja with the Kings.

Now knowing that he was 3rd in MVP voting does that really make you all that confident that 3rd place voting for MVP means anything? It doesn't to me.
    2 seasons ago was LeBron James. 4 seasons ago was Dwyane Wade.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

It means that like 450 other NBA players wasn't!
    I don't know what year it was, but I do believe Peja was off the chain. He was like 50% fg and 45% from 3 and like 95% FT...one of the best shooting exhibitions of all time.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

J7F

The year before JO, Kobe was 3rd.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

I don't have anything against JO it's just I think he was over-rated even in his prime. Like I said with more shot attempts Hibbert would be comparable. Never thought he was worth 126 million.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I know it's a hell of a lot easier to remember the number 3 as opposed to the difference between two larger numbers almost a decade later :P

And no... I don't think that degrades a 3rd place MVP standing... Peja was the best scorer in the game for a while... Are you more remembering Pacer Peja?

I think it hurts me more that you and Trader specifically are so against him... You guys are two of my favorite posters... It's kind of like when one of your good friends really dislikes another one of your really good friends... I know I'm never going to see eye to eye with anyone on everything... But I can't believe we see such different perspectives on that man's career... You see it from a disappointment stand point... I see it from a sorrow standpoint... That guy had a real ****** story from where he started and the potential he had... To where he finished his Pacer journey... But I think the biggest reason we see so different is because I never think about the money side... It's not these player's fault that they receive the amounts of money they get... It's the system's fault... Owners, GMs, Agents...

If you just look at the story of his playing career... It's just really sad... And I think legacy is a big deal to that man... I know it is... I would bet a lot of money that JO would trade in a large chunk of his career earnings to have a better, more storybook career and ending with the Pacers...

And... He is my Reggie... The one that started it all for me...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    per his twitter

People should be ashamed of there selves for reporting things to the public that are absolutely not true! smdh!

Altercation? False! Argument about a coaching change or coaching hire? Even more false! That's is not my position or job to determine that!
    At this point, I just don't believe a word that dude says.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

You guys sure are angry about him saying that he wanted to be the best for our team and win us championships.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

J7F

JO has his fair share of mistakes in the Pacers organization, but I think we should give him more respect than what he's getting here. Sure, he had those empty promises of coming back great injury after injury, or his body started to break down after getting a monster contract, but all before that he was the best player of the Pacers in that era, and one of the best in the league as a whole. He was just a tier below Duncan and KG at their peak. And he was one of the truly homegrown talents we had (he was a "bust" in Portland before coming to the Pacers).
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 01-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Let me apologize to the Jermaine O'Neal fan base. I really try to avoid talking about him & often times I fail but I will try harder.

I just have no use for what he did here behind the scenes and his online twitter statement this evening about it not being his job are just to much for me to read.

So in honor of our departed brother ABA Days I think it's best in this conversation that I just go this route.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find it fitting that your 11,000th post was downplaying the career of Jermaine O'neal.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Mood

Now he's saying he had a health scare. Sheesh.

No knock on JO, but he became a burden to this franchise pretty much the instant he signed that big contract. Its only natural to have some disdain for that.

Anthony Johnson had that great playoff series against the nets. What happens that offseason, we get rid of him and his 3 million salary to save money. Or was it because JO felt like he wasn't getting the ball often enough, as he openly stated.

Hes not leading the team well, so we make a series of bad trades, one to get him his buddy Al Harrington, as we assume he can work with him. The team is still stagnant because JOs leadership skills are fine, other than they are non existent.

He was a power forward that averaged 43 % from the field more often than not for this team.

And frankly personally I feel, the year of the brawl. He came back and destroyed the team chemistry we had built up. His black hole offense doomed us. We had a chance to avenge our loss the previous year and defeat the Pistons. But he came back and a team that had made their way to the postseason by working together and moved the ball instantly went back to him jacking up a shot and having to run back on defense because god forbid he pass the ball.

He would have been great as a second fiddle, but the Pacers don't have the money to pay second fiddles the max. Same reason we are upset about Hibberts offensive struggles this year. We were expecting a force on both sides of the ball. Granted Hibbert won't be remembered with such disdain because hes a class act off the court, and he hasn't acted as arrogant in regards to the team as JO did.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    No knock on JO, but he became a burden to this franchise pretty much the instant he signed that big contract. Its only natural to have some disdain for that.

Anthony Johnson had that great playoff series against the nets. What happens that offseason, we get rid of him and his 3 million salary to save money. Or was it because JO felt like he wasn't getting the ball often enough, as he openly stated.

Hes not leading the team well, so we make a series of bad trades, one to get him his buddy Al Harrington, as we assume he can work with him. The team is still stagnant because JOs leadership skills are fine, other than they are non existent.

He was a power forward that averaged 43 % from the field more often than not for this team.

And frankly personally I feel, the year of the brawl. He came back and destroyed the team chemistry we had built up. His black hole offense doomed us. We had a chance to avenge our loss the previous year and defeat the Pistons. But he came back and a team that had made their way to the postseason by working together and moved the ball instantly went back to him jacking up a shot and having to run back on defense because god forbid he pass the ball.

He would have been great as a second fiddle, but the Pacers don't have the money to pay second fiddles the max. Same reason we are upset about Hibberts offensive struggles this year. We were expecting a force on both sides of the ball. Granted Hibbert won't be remembered with such disdain because hes a class act off the court, and he hasn't acted as arrogant in regards to the team as JO did.

Totally agree and people wondering why I think he was over-rated. It's his selfish basketball and refusing to see that he is not a 17 foot fade away shooter. He thought he was a Superstar a la Lebron but he just wasn't. Very good player but nowhere near the all time greats of the league.

Mood

I didn't realize until today that Gentry was replaced by some player development guy who had just been brought in a few months ago and had never coached a game of basketball at any level in his entire life.

I can't say I'd be excited to play under those circumstances. What a mess.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    JO: "What the f**k is my role here?"

Blanks: "I don't know - who the f**k are you again?"
    "I'm the dude that's about a week away from being an elite player again, that's who I am!"

This is just a few weeks after JO was talking about how satisfied he was in PHX, how he was enjoying just playing the sport for the love of it, not chasing rings, etc. It's shocking how much he's made me sour on him, a guy I used to defend strongly against other Pacer fan's criticisms.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    2 seasons ago was LeBron James. 4 seasons ago was Dwyane Wade.

The year before JO, Kobe was 3rd.
    Which proves it means nothing! Ha ha, you fell into Peck's logic trap you fool.

Not that the Peja angle made it look bad either since that dude was THE shooting ace in the league at the time and not in the "stand in the corner and wait" kinda way. More in the "Bird-like" scoring machine way.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    JO has also been in the league since 1996 while West has only been in it since 2003. Years played plays a major factor in your health. West would also look fried if he were in his 17th season.
    JO logged NCAA levels of PT his 4 years in Portland. He wasn't even a bust, he was a high school kid they didn't need right away because they had a crazy deep frontline.

They were fools to give up on him when they did because he DID NOT IMPROVE his Per36 that first year in Indy (not dramatically at least), he simply played more minutes.

Regardless, JO's playing time with Portland (458, 808, 310 due to lockout, 859 = 2435) is LESS than West's playing time at Xavier (970, 978, 1094, 1168 = 4210). West played 126 games, JO played 210. So in terms of travel he had more of it, but he was sitting A LOT more per game than West was.

West has 20491 NBA minutes played, JO has 25951. But that includes all of JO's post-HS minutes. If you add in West's Xavier minutes then he's just behind JO at 24701, which is about half an NBA season worth of play. JO has had injury issues, but West had his own very serious injury which he just recovered from.

And yet at TJoe points out, even JO of 2-3 years ago didn't look at good as West does right now. And on top of that we've never heard West talk a bunch of nonsense about his own pending domination and we'd all be shocked if a story came out where West was ripping into Vogel or Shaw in an office someplace. Contrast that with JO making news for at least the 2nd time in his career thanks to an over-the-top shouting match with a team authority figure (coach, GM, whatever).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Jeff Sagarin said JO was not all that important of a player... but we maxed him anyway because you just can't let a computer make decisions like that. I wish we would have listened to the computer...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's like a bad girlfriend that keeps hanging around, and you forget about what made her "bad" and just remember all the good times you had together.

Pass. Pass. Pass.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What exactly would JO do around here? Show off his suits? He's not playing over Mahinmi.
    Give him Tyler's minutes. In fact, I'd try to do a trade 1-for-1 if I could.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    "I'm the dude that's about a week away from being an elite player again, that's who I am!"

This is just a few weeks after JO was talking about how satisfied he was in PHX, how he was enjoying just playing the sport for the love of it, not chasing rings, etc. It's shocking how much he's made me sour on him, a guy I used to defend strongly against other Pacer fan's criticisms.
    Imagine - JO saying one thing to the media while the truth is something entirely different.

BTW, he surely is ready to "dominate the paint" once more with the fantastic medical staff of the Suns, right?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post: