Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

Default Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

Sources: Jermaine O'Neal has heated confrontation with Suns GM
    by Adrian Wojnarowski
    Link

Phoenix Suns center Jermaine O'Neal and general manager Lance Blanks engaged in a blistering, expletive-laced confrontation in the coach's office on Monday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"It was really bad," one Suns source said Tuesday afternoon.

The confrontation happened after interim coach Lindsey Hunter's first practice and unfolded within earshot of several Suns players in the locker room, sources said.

O'Neal is frustrated with the direction of the Suns' rebuild and wanted more clarity on his future this season, a source with knowledge of the confrontation said. At 13-28, the Suns have the worst record in the Western Conference.

O'Neal signed a one-year deal in the offseason with Phoenix.

The Arizona Republic reported Tuesday that O'Neal missed practice with an "unstated medical issue" and wouldn't make the team's trip to Sacramento.

Blanks didn't immediately respond to a text message.

The Suns fired coach Alvin Gentry and replaced him with Hunter, who worked in player development and has no coaching background.

O'Neal has averaged 6.4 points and four rebounds a game for the Suns in his 16th season in the NBA.
    I know I'm reading into things, but I'd take a look at JO for cheap. I know, I know I'm beating a dead horse.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

JO at this stage of his career and at this stage of being a physical mess of a player is in no position to demand to know where he stood as far as the future this season with the Suns. He is lucky to be drawing a paycheck.

As far as the Pacers - no way. Not consider it

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Suns GM and centerJO engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation

haha even if you are, I'm right there with you
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO: "What the f**k is my role here?"

Blanks: "I don't know - who the f**k are you again?"
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sad. Just retire.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'd take him on the cheap if he was looking to take a diminished role and not complain, but by this account, it doesn't look like that's the case. He doesn't move well enough to play PF anymore, and Hibbert and Mahinmi are better.

Mood

J.O. for Green....Make it happen

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

What exactly would JO do around here? Show off his suits? He's not playing over Mahinmi.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

He is dominate as a diva.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

How dare anyone stop JO from dominating?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO at this stage of his career and at this stage of being a physical mess of a player is in no position to demand to know where he stood as far as the future this season with the Suns. He is lucky to be drawing a paycheck.

As far as the Pacers - no way. Not consider it
    yeah exactly.

Same old same old.

Happened here all of the time, far more than anyone would care to admit or know about.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Some things never change.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sounds like JO aint the only one according to Ken Burger:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...n-to-new-coach

UPDATED and CORRECTED, 4:21 p.m. ET

As the Suns have come unraveled with their third consecutive non-winning season and a coaching change, the frustration has spilled over into the locker room.

Veteran Jermaine O'Neal and general manager Lance Blanks were involved in a heated, expletive-filled argument after interim coach Lindsey Hunter's first practice Monday, league sources confirmed to CBSSports.com. One person familiar with the tirade called it a "clearing of the air," but there are many issues remaining for the Suns to clear up before Hunter makes his coaching debut Wednesday night in Sacramento.

Among them, sources said, is O'Neal's concern about what his role will be under the new coach. Though O'Neal and Hunter never had any personal issues before, sources said O'Neal's concern may have stemmed from his sense of loyalty to Alvin Gentry, who was removed last week in what the team described as a mutual parting of the ways. Hunter is known to have been Blanks' choice to succeed Gentry.

Another player said to be upset with Gentry's removal is point guard Goran Dragic, a league source said.

Yahoo Sports reported that O'Neal's confrontation with Blanks, in the coach's office, was so loud that players could hear it from the locker room.

After three practices under Hunter, the Suns still don't know who will be on his coaching staff. Assistant Dan Majerle also left with Gentry, but former lead assistant Elston Turner did not attend practice for the third day in a row Tuesday. Turner's role with the team, if he stays in Phoenix at all, has yet to be determined after he was passed over for the head coaching job.

If Turner and the Suns part ways, the team is expected to look within the organization to fill out Hunter's coaching staff. Corey Gaines, who has WNBA coaching experience and has served as a scout and player development coach for the Suns, is a likely addition to the bench, sources said.

The Suns have lost 13 of 15 games. O'Neal, 34, was signed to a one-year minimum deal for this season and is averaging 6.4 points and 4.1 rebounds in 32 games off the bench.
    Can you say "dumpster fire"?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Seeing that JO is 34 and that West is 32 is amazing. The difference in how the two have maintained their bodies is incredible. JO has looked like a pudgy has been since he was 29.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Can previously amnestied players, like Scola, be traded? Is there any penalty to do so? What salary would have to be matched, the amnestied salary or their "new" salary?

Is anyone even listening to me?

Mood

Sounds like a mess in Phoenix.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

At least he's not in LA, or they'd be making him shoot 3s.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

1 year deal to fill out the roster. What is there to clarify about your role?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Can previously amnestied players, like Scola, be traded? Is there any penalty to do so? What salary would have to be matched, the amnestied salary or their "new" salary?

Well, this is encouraging.
    If a team acquires an amnestied player through secondary waivers, then it is likely they will be able to trade the player after 30 days – just like any other player claimed through the waiver process. This is another detail that has not yet been confirmed by the league. Nor is it known what the player’s trade value will be for salary matching purposes, but it will likely be the amount the team is actually paying the player (i.e., the amount of their bid).
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...esty-provision

Scola is locked up through 14/15. Let's hope they're looking to trim salary. Hansbrough and Scola either works straight up, or the Pacers would need to include just a tad bit more.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-22-2013 at 04:43 PM.

I bet it all started innocently enough.

JO: Hey, Lance I have some ideas on how we could improve the offense.

Blanks: Oh yeah let's hear them you've been in the league a while you've probably seen a few things.

JO: Yeah you see I even brought a tape.

Blanks: A tape? What you didn't have a DVD?

JO: Well it's from a little while ago.

*Pops in a tape of the 2006-2007 Indiana Pacers offense which was essentially 4 dudes standing around watching one power forward/"center" shoot 43% from the field*

JO: So yeah, you see just put me on the low block and let me go to work. I'm dominant.

Blanks: Are you being serious with me right now or just ****ing with me?

JO: Serious as a mother ****ing heart attack Lance the Pants.

Blanks: I'm not going to build the ****ing offense around you.

*Yet another missed turnaround jumper*

Blanks: This **** is ****ing horrifying.

*Highlight of JO hitting a free throw comes on*

JO: Also, you need to play this song every time I hit a free throw. It's the ****. It goes JAY-OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I SAY JAAAAAY-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

Blanks: Are you the dumbest mother ****er alive?

JO: So you like my suggestions?

*Blanks walks out*

JO: Man, JO look at you working in the post, you look good baby.

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Has to wait a full year to trade him according to the amnesty rules. He will likely be dealt in the off season IMO.

I would take JO back in a heart beat if they cut him he looks healthy this year.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Seeing that JO is 34 and that West is 32 is amazing. The difference in how the two have maintained their bodies is incredible. JO has looked like a pudgy has been since he was 29.
    JO has also been in the league since 1996 while West has only been in it since 2003. Years played plays a major factor in your health. West would also look fried if he were in his 17th season.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    JO has also been in the league since 1996 while West has only been in it since 2003. Years played plays a major factor in your health. West would also look fried if he were in his 17th season.
    How do you explain how KG has maintained his body vs. JO?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    How do you explain how KG has maintained his body vs. JO?
    Durability is a big reason why Garnett will go down as one of the greatest ever. I'm just saying that you can't compare JO to a guy who has 7 less years of miles on him.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: