Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peps plan for the offense

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Peps plan for the offense

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats the problem with the FA FB class outside of Jerome there really isn't well known guys and Casey is a medicore FB IMO. The off the radar guy I like is Owen Schmitt. He played for the Raiders last year but they had Reece at FB who is pretty good. Schmitt also was in Philly when Grigson was there so thats the guy who is affordable and experienced that I see him going after if we don't draft a guy.
    Yeah I know about him, he is a pretty crazy dude, but did not think him or Jerome Felton really had much in the receiving department. Schmitt is pretty crazy, but I remember his WVU days.... seems like you are more focused on guys who are big time hole openers, instead of dual threats, rarely you will find a guy that is really good at both, or really good at one and good at the other. In many cases we can use two guys depending on the situations.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah I know about him, he is a pretty crazy dude, but did not think him or Jerome Felton really had much in the receiving department. Schmitt is pretty crazy, but I remember his WVU days.... seems like you are more focused on guys who are big time hole openers, instead of dual threats, rarely you will find a guy that is really good at both, or really good at one and good at the other. In many cases we can use two guys depending on the situations.
    I hope the Colts go for the guy who is a heck of a blocker. To me, you get a fullback to help move the chains in short yardage situations and convert in the redzone...get those tough yards. Personally, I could care less if the fullback can catch a pass. I just want him to help open some holes for the running back. JMO.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I hope the Colts go for the guy who is a heck of a blocker. To me, you get a fullback to help move the chains in short yardage situations and convert in the redzone...get those tough yards. Personally, I could care less if the fullback can catch a pass. I just want him to help open some holes for the running back. JMO.
    Yeah, I think it would be a plus for a weapon in the pass game, especially with the Y-Banana... maybe we could get a guy like Hillis to be a FB in our system, that might work, in the short yardage situations, when we are going hard we can use some other guys like LB/DE as well. On a every down type of situation, I would like a guy like Lonnie Pryor who can block but can also run and is a weapon out the backfield.
    Why so SERIOUS

Most FB aren't used to catch the ball but looking at James Casey vs Owen Schmitt I don't think there is much of difference. Schmitt is the better blocker but I don't see a huge difference in recieving skills there. The Colts are also going to the use the FB in special teams so I would rather have a nut like Schmitt than Casey.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Lol just saw Vonte Leach is getting pad 4.3 million... you can keep him for that ...
    Why so SERIOUS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder if we are gonna snatch a player or two from the Ravens cause everyone wants to get paid there after the SB and they are in a mini salary cap hell. Grigs has a lot of money to spend this year and some decisions to make.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Wonder if we are gonna snatch a player or two from the Ravens cause everyone wants to get paid there after the SB and they are in a mini salary cap hell. Grigs has a lot of money to spend this year and some decisions to make.
    Yeah, I think we will grab atleast one of them, chances are that it will be Kruger, Cary Williams is too expensive most likely, and Ed Reed unless he comes cheap I could not see it happening, and he probably would rather sign back with the Ravens for cheap than come here, Bolden will be kind of old so I could not imagine anything more than a 2 year contract with him, Jacoby Jones I don't think would be worth it.

But I think we will grab atleast one.
    Why so SERIOUS

Bolden has said that he will retire if cut by the Ravens.

Ed Reed would be ok for a year or two even if the Colts have to overpay for him. I would rather overpay for him for the short term than overpay for guys like Kruger or Williams. Kruger is good in Baltimore but that has more to do with the talent on that defense, imo. I really don't think he would be nearly as good in Indy as he is in Baltimore. I'd much rather see the Colts sign Anthony Spencer than Kruger. As for Williams I think there are better cornerbacks available in free agency and from what I have read this draft class is suppose to be deep with cornerbacks.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arthur Jones...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Bolden has said that he will retire if cut by the Ravens.

Ed Reed would be ok for a year or two even if the Colts have to overpay for him. I would rather overpay for him for the short term than overpay for guys like Kruger or Williams. Kruger is good in Baltimore but that has more to do with the talent on that defense, imo. I really don't think he would be nearly as good in Indy as he is in Baltimore. I'd much rather see the Colts sign Anthony Spencer than Kruger. As for Williams I think there are better cornerbacks available in free agency and from what I have read this draft class is suppose to be deep with cornerbacks.
    Yeah I didn't think that was the case, Suggs under performed and was not at 100%, same goes for Lewis, Ngata is getting older and didnt he have to have surgery after the year, Ellerby was probably the other key player on that defense this year besides Kruger.

I say I like Spencer better for this defense, but we will see which we land.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Pep just said he plans to use Allen as a FB, and that is what I was thinking, using a TE instead of a dedicated FB, his reasoning was pretty good though.
    Why so SERIOUS

Pep just said he plans to use Allen as a FB, and that is what I was thinking, using a TE instead of a dedicated FB, his reasoning was pretty good though.
    Well Allen is the only guy on the team that could do it and we ran some stuff featuring him last year so it makes sense. He is a workhorse and seems to be willing to do just about anything to help the team succeed.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Well Allen is the only guy on the team that could do it and we ran some stuff featuring him last year so it makes sense. He is a workhorse and seems to be willing to do just about anything to help the team succeed.
    Yeah he likes that with Allen in the backfield it makes it harder for defenses to know what we are going to do, with a FB it is kind of like they expect the run and know where we are going to go more often, when we have a versatile guy like Allen back there who is decent blocking and can also be used in the passing game, or on screens or dumpoffs we now make them think more as well as giving ourselves more options...
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He also talked about the possibility of using Wildcat and pistol formation which honestly cringed me a bit.
    He basically said we will use all kinds of attack. lol.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Dont go after Reed save our money for next year and go for TJ Ward he is a guy i would love to see in a colts uni
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

I hate to say that but I really wasn't all that excited from what Pep said about wildcat, pistol, etc. I mean its great to throw the defense of and keep them guessing but I think some teams get carried away with trying to trick their opponent too much. I hate the thought of having Luck on designed run plays. The guy can clearly run when he has to, as he had to a lot last year, but I have never felt it was wise to force QB runs at least not in the NFL.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should just take a look at No 2 in last year's draft...
    As I said above, I was like you when I heard his bullet points from his presser. Of course, there is a big possibility he said those things just for the sake of it. But, I am worried a bit already. Besides, why would you want to take the ball off your QB's hands? Madness.

I hate to say that but I really wasn't all that excited from what Pep said about wildcat, pistol, etc. I mean its great to throw the defense of and keep them guessing but I think some teams get carried away with trying to trick their opponent too much. I hate the thought of having Luck on designed run plays. The guy can clearly run when he has to, as he had to a lot last year, but I have never felt it was wise to force QB runs at least not in the NFL.
    TEBOW TIME...

Seriously I would much rather draft or sign a late pick to run the wildcat or Pistol once in awhile without Luck taking that risk.