Thread: Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

Default Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...un-at-airport/

Da’Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at airport

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2013, 5:29 PM EST

Getty Images
    Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers has been arrested for carrying a gun at an airport.

NBCNewYork.com reports that Bowers was arrested at LaGuardia Airport on Monday morning after police discovered he was illegally carrying a handgun. Bowers had a loaded .40 caliber firearm in his carry-on bag as he was attempting to get on a US Airways flight to Raleigh, North Carolina.

Bowers was charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and is expected to appear in court on Monday evening.

A 2011 second-round draft pick of the Buccaneers, Bowers missed the first six games of the 2012 season with a torn Achilles tendon but returned in time to play in 10 games and record three sacks last season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

Did I read this right? He was carrying a handgun with him while he was trying to get on a flight? Was that the first time he was visiting an airport? He probably didn't know they were gonna check his bag....Poor boy.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Default Re: Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

Players do some stupid things and their thought process can be skewed. For example....

I think this was like 1999 or about. It was the end of camp and all the players were hitting the roads quick to go home. Well except for one player named Bertrand Berry. He's sitting on a curb next to his truck just staring off into space kind of. I ask if he needs some help and he says 'I think so, there's something hanging down from the front of my truck andI can't go anywhere'. Now let me state I am no mechanic so I let him know I'll look but "I'm no mechanic". I look and yep there is a problem, his tie rod snapped.

So I tell Bertrand it looks like your tie rod is busted and he's lucky because if he'd been out on the highway and lost his steering it could have been bad. So he says (and I'll never forget this) " Hey man, you got any of that duck tape? Maybe we can tape it out of the way or something". I of course tell him "Mr. Berry I don't think duct tape is going to solve the problem. You get out on the highway and you're going to get killed or kill someone ". Bertrand "Thanks for looking. They just pay me to play football and that's all I know".

Anyway I help him get a tow truck and he get's a ride from another player. He was a really nice guy like most players are, but the moral the story is nothing surprises me (even the gun thing) when it comes to a pro athlete. All they do is play their sport and rely on folks to take care of the rest.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I read this right? He was carrying a handgun with him while he was trying to get on a flight? Was that the first time he was visiting an airport? He probably didn't know they were gonna check his bag....Poor boy.
    It wouldn't be all that surprising really. Not excusing him being a moron, but I remember Dungy asking his Colts lockerroom how many of you own a gun and like 80% of them raised their hands. They're big guys mostly so they stick out, easy to spot, their salaries are publicly available. They are targets. You carry a gun as often as they probably do it probably is easy to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You carry a gun as often as they probably do it probably is easy to forget.
    Maybe going to the grocery or mall, but going to the airport ??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To be fair, he told the authorities he had it on him. Still dumb.

Not surprising were the apparent circumstances, which seem to involve no ill intent: We’re told Bowers unwittingly carried the gun on his last-minute flight to New York from North Carolina before the weekend, only to realize after his arrival that it was in his checked bag.

How does that happen? As told to us, Bowers' girlfriend surprised him with the trip and they left the same day, packing in a hurry to catch their outbound flight. It appears he tried to do what he thought was the right thing before returning Monday morning, informing airline personnel about the weapon while seeking to transport it back to North Carolina.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 02-19-2013 at 04:44 PM.