Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    At the halfway mark of the season for the Pacers, how would you grade this team so far? I'll simply grade them on offense and defense, or somebody can make an elaborate grading of their own (starters, bench, home, road, etc.). Here are my takes:

    Offense: C

    It's been a struggle all season long so far, and it has been a problem not only of the bench but by the starters as well. 2nd worst offense overall will need to be fixed if this team needs to go full throtle in the playoffs. We are starting to get some production from PG, but it's practically being offset by Hibbert's poor offensive outing most of the time. Danny may fix the current offensive woes somehow, but we still need to see some consistency from our current starters.

    Defense: A+

    I can't say anything much as it was already said by many, but the Pacers are the biggest surprise in defense this season. Sure, they have been great last season, but nobody thought that they'll have the superb and elite defense that once owned by the likes of Chicago and Boston in the past few years. I can say it has been an improvement overall by everybody from the starters (special mention: PG and Hibbert) and the bench (special mention: Mahinmi), and a wonderful job by Vogel and company.

    Overall: B

    Defense is at playoff level at this stage. No question about it. Just needs to keep this up and improve further to get the wins and possibly end up getting the rings. But offense is still left to be desired. Better FG%, even better FT%, less turnovers, and better control of the pace will do wonders for this team.

    It's still a long ways to go and anything can happen, especially with the tight race in the East. A loss or two can easily put this team from third to 6th. But keeping up the wins and we maybe surprised to be sitting at the top after 82 games. Our boys just needs to keep the consistency and defense and hopefully once Granger comes back this team will improve further by a notch or two.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    I would venture to say that our best start in a decade (since 2003) despite missing arguably our best player from the previous season merits better than a "B". People were ready to jump out of windows after we struggled to adjust initially and the season has turned around so drastically that even our own beloved vnzla may be drinking some of the kool-aid!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would venture to say that our best start in a decade (since 2003) despite missing arguably our best player from the previous season merits better than a "B". People were ready to jump out of windows after we struggled to adjust initially and the season has turned around so drastically that even our own beloved vnzla may be drinking some of the kool-aid!
    I'm also very much excited about the current success the Pacers had in the 1st half of the season. But I'll admit I am conservative on the grade I give. Sure, the defense has been superb, and PG is looking like an all-star right now, but I gave the grade that low because I still see a room for improvement and growth. Like I've said, the ability to score (not essentially scoring high, but can get buckets with relative ease) really needs to improve.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  7. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    A+ for the defense, best defense on the league.

    C- for the offense, this offense is not going to cut it on the playoffs, the predictable offense also needs to change, way to many Iso's, the Pacers still take too much time to see up a play, too many last second shots.

    With all that said I'm going to give them a B-

  8. #5
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    I like the B overall rating. As ecstatic as we all are, Indiana is truly a "B" team right now. A lackluster start, soon righted and playing just below the contenders. Now when Danny comes back, it'll be a different story.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    As of today, following the Memphis game, we are 10 games over .500. Like Peck, I was hoping we could maintain a .500 record while Granger was out and hope to improve on that as we closed out the season. If we were to continue right along and finish around 20 games over .500, that would put us at 51-31, which is about what I thought we could achieve WITH Granger.

    So, despite our offensive woes, I'll go with B+ or A- because we have very much overachieved.

    By the way, I'll also go with an A++ for Vogel and staff. Exceptional defense, even without Granger. And an extreme willingness to make changes at any time to find something that "works better". It is great to see a coaching staff that seems totally egoless, that puts emphasis on only one thing... winning. They are willing to change anything and everything to achieve that goal. And, they've proven they are very successful in the adjustments they have made, making them very dangerous for anyone to face in the playoffs.

  10. #7

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Defense: A+
    Offense: D

    Overall: A

  11. #8

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Overall B plus, considering the circumstances.

    I've watched every game this year and only once, against the Thunder, did I think "Wow this team is just flat out better than the Pacers."

  12. #9
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Personally I give them a B+. Not even the brightest sunshiner thought we'd be better at this point than last years team once we learned about Danny having to be out for so long. Most reasonable people were hoping we stayed afloat until Granger returned.

    I don't give them an "A" because we did give away some stupid close games to a few stupid bad teams really early on, but we've played at a 70 percentage (59 wins) Pace over the last 31 games (73 percent of the season). Considering our record at home, and the fact that all but one game is at home during February, and the fact that Granger is returning soon, I'm not entirely convinced we won't end up with 55+ wins overall.

    I won't grade them separately for offense and defense. The fact of the matter is either our defense is so good that we don't need good offense yet, or our offense is good enough to win even if it isn't good enough to be ranked well. Either one is OK with me, and i'm optimistic that our offense will be at least league average once Granger gets back comes back in the picture.

    So B+, and a solid A for our play in December and January so far (18-8). Also an A+ for our play home, period.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  14. #10

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So B+, and a solid A for our play in December and January so far (18-8). Also an A+ for our play home, period.
    What's truly outstanding is the fact that we have protected the home court so well in 41 games. 16-3 at home is as good as Miami and Denver, and the only teams that are much better are OKC and SA. That's a nice group of teams playing so well at home court. That A+ as well for me.

    The road has been pretty painful so far given the schedule, but they'll get better in there.

  15. #11

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    The offense is coming along. The more PG asserts himself and becomes a star the better it gets. I give it a D to start the season. I would rate it a B today.

    The defense has been outstanding. Guys have really bought into the system. David West in particular is playing amazing defense, something he hasn't been known for before, and still gets a bad rap about here. Some folks can't let go of their preconceived notions about him. But watching the games, I see David West as one of the best defenders on the team. Lance has also become Very solid on defense. The whole team is pretty badass on defense. A++

    Coach Vogel is my favorite coach ever after this year. Maybe it's because the night was so dark before the dawn... but I just love the guy and he has these guys believing and buying into his system. A+

    Overall, this team is exceeding all my expectations. I thought they would be an under .500 9th seed team without Danny. A

  16. #12
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The offense is coming along. The more PG asserts himself and becomes a star the better it gets. I give it a D to start the season. I would rate it a B today.

    The defense has been outstanding. Guys have really bought into the system. David West in particular is playing amazing defense, something he hasn't been known for before, and still gets a bad rap about here. Some folks can't let go of their preconceived notions about him. But watching the games, I see David West as one of the best defenders on the team. Lance has also become Very solid on defense. The whole team is pretty badass on defense. A++

    Coach Vogel is my favorite coach ever after this year. Maybe it's because the night was so dark before the dawn... but I just love the guy and he has these guys believing and buying into his system. A+

    Overall, this team is exceeding all my expectations. I thought they would be an under .500 9th seed team without Danny. A
    Amen. West's defense has been great. Amazing to see him at this age play the best defense of his career. As a huge fan of defense, (and why I've criticized West's game), I'd argue this is West's best season ever.

    I'd say he's the Pacers 4th best defender though, and that's not a bad thing when you consider our two best defenders are defensive player of the year candidates.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  17. #13

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amen. West's defense has been great. Amazing to see him at this age play the best defense of his career. As a huge fan of defense, (and why I've criticized West's game), I'd argue this is West's best season ever.

    I'd say he's the Pacers 4th best defender though, and that's not a bad thing when you consider our two best defenders are defensive player of the year candidates.
    I agree about West having a great season on defense. I think playing alongside Hibbert has benefited him and vice versa. West is the "strength" while Hibbert is the "length".

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    while Hibbert is the "length".


  20. #15

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

  21. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the halfway mark of the season for the Pacers, how would you grade this team so far? I'll simply grade them on offense and defense, or somebody can make an elaborate grading of their own (starters, bench, home, road, etc.). Here are my takes:

    Offense: C

    It's been a struggle all season long so far, and it has been a problem not only of the bench but by the starters as well. 2nd worst offense overall will need to be fixed if this team needs to go full throtle in the playoffs. We are starting to get some production from PG, but it's practically being offset by Hibbert's poor offensive outing most of the time. Danny may fix the current offensive woes somehow, but we still need to see some consistency from our current starters.

    Defense: A+

    I can't say anything much as it was already said by many, but the Pacers are the biggest surprise in defense this season. Sure, they have been great last season, but nobody thought that they'll have the superb and elite defense that once owned by the likes of Chicago and Boston in the past few years. I can say it has been an improvement overall by everybody from the starters (special mention: PG and Hibbert) and the bench (special mention: Mahinmi), and a wonderful job by Vogel and company.

    Overall: B

    Defense is at playoff level at this stage. No question about it. Just needs to keep this up and improve further to get the wins and possibly end up getting the rings. But offense is still left to be desired. Better FG%, even better FT%, less turnovers, and better control of the pace will do wonders for this team.

    It's still a long ways to go and anything can happen, especially with the tight race in the East. A loss or two can easily put this team from third to 6th. But keeping up the wins and we maybe surprised to be sitting at the top after 82 games. Our boys just needs to keep the consistency and defense and hopefully once Granger comes back this team will improve further by a notch or two.


    I give them an A grade overall (yes, the offense is a bit spotty) for correcting the ship and having a good record minus Danny Granger. They have been fortunate to not have any serious injuries other than Granger and Lance and PG have really stepped up. Under the conditions it is hard to see how they could do any better.....

  22. #17
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,319

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Defense: A+
    Offense: D

    Overall: B-

    Defense is legit. Offense is the complete opposite. Bench is downright terrible, and will be a huge issue for the playoffs. Just like last year, the starters can't do it all. So while the Pacers record is great, I can't help but feel it's a bit hollow right now. If that bench isn't fixed by the deadline, this will be a one and done playoff team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  23. #18
    Member Mr.Hinds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Starters:
    Defense- A+
    What can you say? Number one in the league.
    Offense- D+*
    It's coming on lately, and Paul George is playing great. Hopefully Dwest stays that steady stream of points and Hibbert levels off to a respectable 50% from the field for the rest of the year. At least he's hitting his free throws like last year. I really like George Hill and think he's the right for but he needs to develop as a point guard or this offense won't ever be good enough to win a Chip.

    Bench:
    Defense- B
    They've taken this teams identity and really applied it to their game. Even DJ is becoming a hassle on the ball. They don't break a chain in team defense when they get spread into the starting line up and when they play the other teams bench they keep them at a manageable number, except...
    Offense- D-
    Their defense has been good but their offense has been hard to watch. DJ has found his shot at least and Mahimi is getting play from his jumper. Too bad he has hands of stone. Thank god we no longer play a full bench rotation. Good on you, Vogel.

    Coaching: A
    With no Granger, a slumping Roy and what looked like a weaker bench than last year, the Pacers are 3rd in the east and in reach of the Knicks. Got to give the credit where it's due. The best thing Franks done this year is slowly sprinkle the bench in with the starters and not being afraid to bench guys for underperforming. Keep up the good work. Extension approved.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

    ~Ahmad Rashad~

  24. #19
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    B+. We have a pretty rock solid record right now and that's with no Granger, Hibbert being lost offensively, Paul George being MIA for the start of the season, and an inconsistent bench. If a few of those variables turn around (George already has...ditto Augustin on the bench), we should be even better.

  25. #20

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    I don't understand how establishing a historically great defense and maintaining the #3 seed without a single game out of their best player warrants anything but an A grade, but to each his own I guess.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    Member Mr.Hinds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand how establishing a historically great defense and maintaining the #3 seed without a single game out of their best player warrants anything but an A grade, but to each his own I guess.
    Well I don't think anybody thought the offense would be second to last without Granger. I mean seriously, only the wizards- the wizards!- have a worse offense. That's just unacceptable.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

    ~Ahmad Rashad~

  28. #22
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    overall B+ because of their last month of success
    "We want Miami"

  29. #23
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Midseason Grade: What will you give them?

    Offense D
    Defense A+
    Bench B-
    Starters A-
    Coaching A-
    Overall B+

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
  2. Beyond the Midseason Grade
    By danman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
  3. NBA.COM Midseason Grades, Pacers get a B+ PLZ DELETE!
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
  4. Darren Collison midseason grade
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 02:33 AM
  5. Poll: Pacers and midseason trade
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •